Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Ideally it would go Record Player --> Phono Preamp --> (L/R preamp out to L/R in) Amplifier --> Headphones, but you may be able to do Player --> Phono Preamp --> Receiver, through Tape Out --> Amplifier --> Headphones, but I don't know much about receivers nor their bypass functions to

He could go with the fiio e09k for a headphone amp. That way he could go deck -> preamp -> headphone amp -> receiver -> speakers. He'd have the choice of controlling the speaker volume with the fiio or using the line outputs, and could add an e17 to turn it into a dac/amp stack later. Super flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The e09k isn't really a proper driver for high impedance headphones though. At the very least, a Schiit Lyr or a Bottlehead Crack are the two contenders for a potential match for HD650's if he's looking for a solid upgrade to his receiver under $1000.

I'd recommend perusing head-fi with search terms like "best amp for hd650" for ideas as to what's out there. Also see what headphonia recommends for pairings as well.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So I can't just connect the headphone amp to one of the outputs mentioned above (monitor out or zone 2 out) and then plug the headphones into the amp whenever I Want to use them?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Xovaan posted:

The e09k isn't really a proper driver for high impedance headphones though. At the very least, a Schiit Lyr or a Bottlehead Crack are the two contenders for a potential match for HD650's if he's looking for a solid upgrade to his receiver under $1000.

I'd recommend perusing head-fi with search terms like "best amp for hd650" for ideas as to what's out there. Also see what headphonia recommends for pairings as well.

Any particular reason why?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Xovaan posted:

Searching through those terms is just going to lead to a lot more confusion. Any amp over $200 will power the HD650 with ease. It's about finding something that does it cleanly, which most of them do, with the output options needed. People play up "amp synergy" far too much. In most cases I wager those people have no idea what they're talking about, they're simply expecting one to sound better. It's one of those things I'd thought had disappeared in all honesty, ever since the NwAvGuy came around. Now I will say that I've experienced a few amps by now and yes they sound differently, but searching amp synergy is going to bring up nothing but a million different conflicting opinions.

As for the E09k, I don't see why it couldn't power the HD650. It provides 80+mw into 600ohms.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The E09, O2, M3 and a bunch of other should be able to no problem. Even my little E10 DAC/Amp gets loud enough with the 580, though that's probably the limit for that one, maxed it gets about as loud as the M3 does at 10:00 and I only take that one higher with the less efficient DT770-250.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 6, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xovaan posted:

The e09k is pretty powerful. It drives my 598s into serious hearing damage range at the very least. I don't think it would have any trouble with the 650s.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 6, 2014

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CICPMA6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1388980139&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My headphones are falling apart and I'm wondering if there are any headphones that are especially durable.

I've had these HD558 for a decent while so they have not been unacceptable non-sturdy. They replaced my HD555s that also broke apart. I would like it if the headphones lived forever.
I might just get another pair of HD558s as they have gotten cheaper since I last bought them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

So I can't just connect the headphone amp to one of the outputs mentioned above (monitor out or zone 2 out) and then plug the headphones into the amp whenever I Want to use them?

Jesus dude, just use the receiver's tape out. Plug the headphone amp into the tape out as if it were a cassette recorder and just select "Tape Monitor" or whatever the record mode is when you want to use it (you may have to turn off the speakers from the receiver too). It bypasses all of the internal amplification on the receiver's end and basically sends the signal straight from your phono preamp, or whatever input you've got selected, through.

"Monitor out" might do the same job- I'm not 100% sure. Check with the manual. As for "Zone 2," I'm assuming that's a speaker out and you don't want to plug an amp into that.

Edit:

Nice, that would've been my choice too.

On the topic of tiny Schiit amps, has anyone checked out the Vali tube thingy yet? I guess they kind of quietly updated their roster because I was totally surprised by it.

It seems to have a few notable shortcomings (relative lack of power and microphonics in particular) and I'm not a huge fan of the "the tubes are soldered in here" design, but I guess you can't really complain when it costs $120 and the company has a "send it back when they die with $20 and we'll replace them" policy.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 6, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Midorka posted:

Searching through those terms is just going to lead to a lot more confusion. Any amp over $200 will power the HD650 with ease. It's about finding something that does it cleanly, which most of them do, with the output options needed. People play up "amp synergy" far too much. In most cases I wager those people have no idea what they're talking about, they're simply expecting one to sound better. It's one of those things I'd thought had disappeared in all honesty, ever since the NwAvGuy came around. Now I will say that I've experienced a few amps by now and yes they sound differently, but searching amp synergy is going to bring up nothing but a million different conflicting opinions.

As for the E09k, I don't see why it couldn't power the HD650. It provides 80+mw into 600ohms.

For me, it's about a more advanced circuit that handles power/gain better with whatever impedance you are matching to it. Smaller amps just don't have the potential for efficiently driving larger headphones despite what specs on paper say. Of the ~six or so stats amp makers try to aim for, there are ways to reach these with everything down to a CMOY or pimeta, but due to their electronic simplicity, you end up losing out on a lot of the finer intricate aspects of sound. An amp like the Fiio, despite having 80mw of power, doesn't necessarily mean it can deliver that well into a large part of the audible frequency range and can cause different parts of music to sound "hot", "sharp", or even "cold" and (as the rumor probably got its start with Sennheisers) "veiled". 600 ohm headphones are pretty inefficient and require a lot of power to drive, and that power needs/should be delivered cleanly.

As for synergy, it exists, but I feel that most people need to specify what exactly they're looking for in music. Amps and headphones both have their strong suits in various frequency ranges and sound stages. Having a hot/treble-emphasized amplifier with AT headphones, for example, can sound pretty harsh and bright to a lot of people, but with a tube amp it may found more neutral. I'd consider each of these a synergy that would cater to a specific crowd.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, that was a lovely effortpost with zero useful content.

Do you have an actual reason why the Fiio would be unsuitable or are you just spewing bullshit based on the price? Because it certainly seems like the latter.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Jesus dude, just use the receiver's tape out. Plug the headphone amp into the tape out as if it were a cassette recorder and just select "Tape Monitor" or whatever the record mode is when you want to use it (you may have to turn off the speakers from the receiver too). It bypasses all of the internal amplification on the receiver's end and basically sends the signal straight from your phono preamp, or whatever input you've got selected, through.

"Monitor out" might do the same job- I'm not 100% sure. Check with the manual. As for "Zone 2," I'm assuming that's a speaker out and you don't want to plug an amp into that.

I don't have a tape out (or anything clearly labeled tape out) which is why I asked the dumb question. I am clueless. This poo poo is pretty complicated for a newbie and I can't even imagine like an old man trying to set up a receiver, let alone install a headphone amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

I don't have a tape out (or anything clearly labeled tape out) which is why I asked the dumb question. I am clueless. This poo poo is pretty complicated for a newbie and I can't even imagine like an old man trying to set up a receiver, let alone install a headphone amp.

Sorry, I just saw your PM. Do your "monitor out" connections include video as well as audio? I'm not totally certain that your monitor out is what I think it is (which would be exactly the connection you need). Is there a way to select "monitor out" or "rec out" from the front panel of the receiver? Alternatively, have you got the manual?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sorry, I just saw your PM. Do your "monitor out" connections include video as well as audio? I'm not totally certain that your monitor out is what I think it is (which would be exactly the connection you need). Is there a way to select "monitor out" or "rec out" from the front panel of the receiver? Alternatively, have you got the manual?

The manual is here: https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1030.pdf

I certainly don't expect you to scour it for me but I looked through it last night and I couldn't find anything that would answer this question.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

grack posted:

Well, that was a lovely effortpost with zero useful content.

Do you have an actual reason why the Fiio would be unsuitable or are you just spewing bullshit based on the price? Because it certainly seems like the latter.

Because there's more to amplification than power and gain. He wanted something that sounds better than his receiver; the Fiio's circuitry may be able to make music sound fuller and technically drive the headphones, but it cannot offer the reproduction of attack, decay, depth, imaging, and overall microdetail of more advanced amplifier designs, which on a BOM cost-to-cost comparison will be objectively more expensive than the Fiio. $280 for an amplifier (Bottlehead Crack) is not that much money and what I would consider entry level to quality audio. It costs this much because of the parts involved and not because some magic fairy engineer is trying to scam you out of money. Objectively they sound better because they're designed to sound better.

Unless you've heard various levels of amplification in AB testing it won't make much sense. Try to go to a headphone meet and see just how different amplification is at various price points. He wanted something that makes him go "wow". The Fiio won't sound much different than the integrated amplifier in his receiver which is why I can't recommend it. It doesn't mean it isn't a good amplifier, but it's not what he's looking for.

On a side note, I'm probably gonna make an EHHA Rev A or another Beta22 for my girlfriend since she won't stop listening to mine. :argh: I was considering making a Gamma2++ but it DACs have such diminishing returns that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You've made two effort posts with precisely zero content in them. Instead of giving vague pseudo-scientific bullshit reasons as to why the Fiio would be unsuitable, how about you describe the actual reasons why it would be unsuitable.

As a primer, here's what a real answer would look like "Amp A would be unsuitable because when used to drive headphones of X impedance, it introduces audible distortion".

The response "it's no good because it's less expensive" is 100% useless and doesn't actually answer anything.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Try to go to a headphone meet and see just how different amplification is at various price points.

Just awakening from my slumber to chime in and say that this is a bit of a trap for someone just getting into headphones. It's fine enough to listen to other cans, but other people are best to be avoided in this situation. They may tell you all sorts of pure, unadulterated bullshit, and you'll leave knowing less than when you went in. If you do go, just remember that just because they're enthusiasts, does not make them right (or an expert).

It's an easy mistake to make with the best intentions, but sticking to the hard-science stuff will keep you in the know.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

grack posted:

You've made two effort posts with precisely zero content in them. Instead of giving vague pseudo-scientific bullshit reasons as to why the Fiio would be unsuitable, how about you describe the actual reasons why it would be unsuitable.

As a primer, here's what a real answer would look like "Amp A would be unsuitable because when used to drive headphones of X impedance, it introduces audible distortion".

The response "it's no good because it's less expensive" is 100% useless and doesn't actually answer anything.

You could look it up yourself instead of being a dick on the Internet. I'm not Mr. Wizard with electronics, $100 TPA6120 is not going to be audibly and electronically comparable to more robust circuitry like, say, the O2, a $100 DIY amp that would go for $300+ if sold pre-built with a regulated power supply. Just because it's good doesn't mean it's "wow" good. O2 is a good example of a contender for even flagship amplifiers and it's not very expensive, but it comes down to parts cost nonetheless due to the features that make it have the specs it does.

Internet posted:

TECH SECTION SUMMARY: In many ways the E9 measured very well. The distortion is impressively low—especially into higher impedance loads. But I do have some concerns:

The biggest disappointment was the 10 ohm output impedance. As I’ve shown above, even 10 ohms causes 6 dB of frequency response variation with balanced armature IEM headphones. Using the 3.5mm jack is even worse with its 43 ohm output impedance. 10 ohms should not cause any serious problems with normal dynamic headphones rated 80 ohms and higher. See my article on impedance.
I’m guessing FiiO added the extra 33 ohms to the mini jack to help avoid accidental headphone damage with low impedance headphones. But it seriously compromises the performance of the amp. And, ironically, nearly all balanced armature IEMs have a 3.5mm plug but you very much want to use the E9’s big jack with these headphones (or even better, the FiiO E5, E7 or another amp with near zero output impedance). A better solution would have been for FiiO to further lower the E9’s gain for the low setting to limit the output to a reasonable level for low impedance headphones.
If you have an E7 you can always use it to drive low impedance headphones and use the E9 only for high impedance cans.
The noise performance, even in the low gain mode, was disappointing—especially at half volume. The measurements were consistent with what I heard with my sensitive IEMs.
There was some channel balance error around 0.5 - 1 dB at several settings and a max of around 3 dB at –50 dB. This isn’t awful, but it’s marginal if you plan to use really sensitive headphones and listen at very low volumes.
The low frequency distortion into 15 ohms was much higher than the the TPA6120 is capable of. It’s not alarmingly high, but it’s a sign a corner or two was cut or someone got sloppy with the design. This is a classic case of getting nowhere near the datasheet performance from the OPA2134 and TPA6120 due to implementation issues.

It's a good amp for $100 but there are higher-priced contenders that will be audibly better. I'd argue that an O2 would be better up until the Class-A designs if made correctly but he's not looking for a DIY project. Also, tubes, which I was recommending initially, are a completely different sound profile that I personally feel is fun for vinyl and most tube-based amplifiers aren't going to be found at this price point.

WugLyfe posted:

Just awakening from my slumber to chime in and say that this is a bit of a trap for someone just getting into headphones. It's fine enough to listen to other cans, but other people are best to be avoided in this situation. They may tell you all sorts of pure, unadulterated bullshit, and you'll leave knowing less than when you went in. If you do go, just remember that just because they're enthusiasts, does not make them right (or an expert).

It's an easy mistake to make with the best intentions, but sticking to the hard-science stuff will keep you in the know.

I agree on the groupthink aspect. 90% of headphone quality concerns comes down to headphone brand heterogeneity and amp/headphone impedance mismatching, bitrate and hz mismatch, and low quality files. But going to a meet and objectively comparing is a great way to realize that some amplifiers do sound subjectively better than others even with all the snake oil Head-Fi loves to pass around. Amps do sound different and it goes beyond a lot of what's measurable on a graph.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You made the claim that the Fiio would be unsuitable. I'm asking why. How is that being a dick? You made two stupid long posts neatly avoiding the question.

Oh, and since you clearly didn't bother to read the information you copy/pasted from NWAvGuy's tests, they don't apply in this case. In fact, he came to the conclusion that the Fiio was well suited to running headphones that had a greater than 150ohm measured impedance.

So not only did you not post information that would support your case, the review you took the information from comes to the completely opposite conclusion you do.

Good jorb, dude.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The reason I posted the fiio was that it has both preamp and line outputs, allowing beergod to put it in the simplest place in the chain (between the preamp and the receiver). The amp he bought is very good, but lacks this functionality. Now he's going to have to figure out how to hook it up. Also, all this crap about attacks or whatever is bullshit.

Edit: looking at that manual, you either want to hook it up to your zone 2 outputs (if you're not using them) or buy some rca splitters for between the preamp and the receiver.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 6, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Coming in with an early morning commute-post to say that the Fiio is unsuitable- not for any audible reasons, but because it's gently caress-ugly. :colbert:.

He's already bought a Magni, which is at least as capable (and lots of people, myself included, would argue sounds just as good as an O2) and looks a whole lot better. This argument y'all are having is pointless.

Edit: ^^ Assuming the monitor outZone 2 on the receiver is unpowered, he should have no issue running it from there. You're right about the Fiio's pre-out though.

Edit 2: Just checked out the manual- Zone 2 is what you want, I'd been wrong the whole time. And here I thought "Zone 2" was just the B-speaker out.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 6, 2014

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
I've done some web research and I've read a lot of great things about the Fostex T50RP and how certain mods can improve its sound quality. They don't seem particularly difficult to do and at least make a little bit of sense.

The only problem is that, as mentioned in this thread countless of times, a lot of headphone "enthusiasts" tend to convince themselves a lot of things are the best thing since sliced bread. Is anyone here particularly knowledgeable about this specific headphone and whether or not its Head-Fi snake oil? I'd love to listen to them but its difficult to get a hold of anything but lifestyle brands where I live.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

grack posted:

You made the claim that the Fiio would be unsuitable. I'm asking why. How is that being a dick? You made two stupid long posts neatly avoiding the question.

Oh, and since you clearly didn't bother to read the information you copy/pasted from NWAvGuy's tests, they don't apply in this case. In fact, he came to the conclusion that the Fiio was well suited to running headphones that had a greater than 150ohm measured impedance.

So not only did you not post information that would support your case, the review you took the information from comes to the completely opposite conclusion you do.

Good jorb, dude.

If you don't need an advanced amplifier to create quality sound, then how come more advanced schematics exist? In fact, how come more advanced DIY schematics exist, open source with no profit to be had for those who make and distribute? You can argue that it's Veblen pursuit or status or art through design, but it's more than that. There's more to sound than frequency response, THD, SNR, gain, noise floor, and any graph you could find through an oscilloscope or frequency software. Neutrality is an aspect of a solid state design, but the amount of variation reproduced through various types of amplification is what gives amp their uniqueness. Is the Fii9 a bad amp? No. But it's still a Class AB being pushed into its upper echelons of power and gain.

http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-sound-of-an-amplifier

Psychoacoustics aside, there's a very real phenomenon to explain reproduction through various amplifier designs.

That said, the Mangi and Fiio will still be a good amps and likely offer an improvement over the receiver based on output impedance and THD alone, but there's still a lot to be had from circuits that handle clipping, switching, and gain levels differently. Outside of tubes and going to a Class A design, there are marginal returns to solid state design, but they are there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So we're back to "it's more expensive/complicated and thus it must be better" as an argument. Alright, whatever.

Anyone have any experience with H20 Audio headphones? I'm looking for a low profile set that's immersible and the MeElec doesn't suit that purpose, unfortunately.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

jeffreyw posted:

I've done some web research and I've read a lot of great things about the Fostex T50RP and how certain mods can improve its sound quality. They don't seem particularly difficult to do and at least make a little bit of sense.

The only problem is that, as mentioned in this thread countless of times, a lot of headphone "enthusiasts" tend to convince themselves a lot of things are the best thing since sliced bread. Is anyone here particularly knowledgeable about this specific headphone and whether or not its Head-Fi snake oil? I'd love to listen to them but its difficult to get a hold of anything but lifestyle brands where I live.

The T50rp use incredibly clean planar magnetic drivers. I can't tell you how they differ from the dynamic ones in other headphones, but I will say that they lend themselves very nicely to modding. I've heard them stock and as the Mad Dogs. I don't remember them stock, but $300 is a great price for the Mad Dogs.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The Bose IE2's I got as a present two years ago are starting to die, so I'm on the lookout for something similar in performance but without the premium that comes with buying any Bose product. The guide is helpful, but there are still too many options to choose. Any suggestions?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

UnfurledSails posted:

The Bose IE2's I got as a present two years ago are starting to die, so I'm on the lookout for something similar in performance but without the premium that comes with buying any Bose product. The guide is helpful, but there are still too many options to choose. Any suggestions?

I've been pouring over that searchable spreadsheet the past week here, it looks like the best ~$50 range IEM's at the moment are the Steel Series Flux's
http://theheadphonelist.com/holiday-buyers-guide-best-earphones-under-50/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/steelseries-flux-in-ear/

The others I am considering are the Ultimate Ears 500vi's, the review gives them an 8.5 for value
cmd+f: 2c50
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-308-iems-compared-rbh-ep1-added-01-01-14-p-836

but they have them listed as costing $60 and they've since dropped to $35... that includes a carrying case and a set of comply foam tips.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Headset/dp/B003YKG2XW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389128530&sr=8-1&keywords=500vi

so now I just have to decide steel series or ultimate ears... leaning towards ultimate ears as they have a 3 button mic/remote rather than just a 1 button and they're $15 cheaper... and they have the comply tips.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I need headphones for exercising, mostly running. What matters to me is sweat resistance, noise isolation, playback controls, and the ability to stay securely on my head as I run.

Wireless is a must, I cannot stand a flapping cord while I run.

I had a pair of JayBird SB2s. I liked them, but they broke repeatedly and felt cheap.

Anyone have suggestions? I've done some searching, but I mostly get spammy garbage articles.

Maybe You Look Like poo poo is a better place for this post? This thread is almost entirely about home use, after all.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just put in an order for Asr's ATH-AD2000X's on Head-Fi. I figure the price is low enough that if I'm not happy with them I can always put them back up and save for HE-500's or a pair of T1's. Plus I get to wear what a headphone nerd wrote like five thousand words about :allears:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Need some help guys. I have my magni hooked up with RCA cables to the zone 2 output on my receiver. I have a turntable running through a preamp into the RCA inputs on the receiver.

I'm not getting any sound out of the headphones when plugged into the amp at all. It hums a little when I turn the volume all the way up but no sound at all.

My receiver manual is above if thats helpful. What should I do?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Xovaan posted:

Just put in an order for Asr's ATH-AD2000X's on Head-Fi. I figure the price is low enough that if I'm not happy with them I can always put them back up and save for HE-500's or a pair of T1's. Plus I get to wear what a headphone nerd wrote like five thousand words about :allears:

Well technically he wrote that dissertation about the Ad2000. I think, and many will agree, that you'll never hear another headphone like the Ad2000. It's hard to explain properly unless you hear it for yourself, but it looks like you'll find out shortly!

As it stands now, the Ad2000 are my all-time favorite headphone. I've heard Mad Dogs, Dt770, HD598 and a few other mid-fi headphones and none of their sound signatures came even close to being what the Ad900 has. The Ad2000 builds on that and no other sound signature has ever excited me like that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Midorka posted:

Well technically he wrote that dissertation about the Ad2000. I think, and many will agree, that you'll never hear another headphone like the Ad2000. It's hard to explain properly unless you hear it for yourself, but it looks like you'll find out shortly!

As it stands now, the Ad2000 are my all-time favorite headphone. I've heard Mad Dogs, Dt770, HD598 and a few other mid-fi headphones and none of their sound signatures came even close to being what the Ad900 has. The Ad2000 builds on that and no other sound signature has ever excited me like that.

Haha, true, and several other spergs wrote their disapproval which is why I feel the prices are so low for the AD2kx secondhand. I am hoping to bank off of their grandeur here; I've liked my 700's from the start, my current 900's still a lot, and I can only assume the 2kx's are more of what I like, even without the "colorful mids" of the originals. For $400 it's not that big of an investment and can easily be resold for no cost to myself. Plus, a settlement went through with Starbucks for meal break violations from when I worked there years ago and netted me enough to pay for them in full. :unsmith:

beergod posted:

Need some help guys. I have my magni hooked up with RCA cables to the zone 2 output on my receiver. I have a turntable running through a preamp into the RCA inputs on the receiver.

I'm not getting any sound out of the headphones when plugged into the amp at all. It hums a little when I turn the volume all the way up but no sound at all.

What's the volume on the receiver set to? Is it hooked up record player --> phono preamp --> analog input of receiver --> zone 2/tape out of receiver --> Magni with Zone 2 set to the playback device?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

"Zone 2" is an independent output from your receivers main speakers. It's meant, for example, to play a DVD through your home theater speakers while listening to the receivers radio tuner on a second set of speakers off in a kitchen, or in your case, through the headphone amp.

With that in mind, you need to figure out how to route audio to the Zone 2 output. On mine you push the front panel button for the zone you want to control, then pick a source. There's also a little zone slider switch on my remote.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Sony receivers are beyond unituitive holy gently caress.

I hit a random button on my receiver remote and it randomly turned on. My god this sounds incredible.

My understanding is the zone 2 will only output analog signals. So how would I listen to the Digital inputs through the headphones? I'm getting the signal from my turntable right now. Do I need a DAC or am I misunderstanding something?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Sony receivers are beyond unituitive holy gently caress.

I hit a random button on my receiver remote and it randomly turned on. My god this sounds incredible.

My understanding is the zone 2 will only output analog signals. So how would I listen to the Digital inputs through the headphones? I'm getting the signal from my turntable right now. Do I need a DAC or am I misunderstanding something?

Once a digital signal goes into the receiver, the DAC in the receiver spits an analog signal out. The receiver is your DAC and that's all right.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

DACs are impossible to differentiate in blind trials so the receiver will be perfect if it supports a digital source (coax, USB, etc.) Your setup is basically perfect until you decide to experiment with tube amplification, then your wallet will cry. :)

Thinking of getting my girlfriend a nice pair of headphones with more bass since she really loves electronica (Royksopp, Sneaker Pimps, Tron OST, etc.). I offered my 900's but she said she likes the 700's better. Recessed mids of the 700 maybe? :confused: 700's are way more plush though...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

"Zone 2" is an independent output from your receivers main speakers. It's meant, for example, to play a DVD through your home theater speakers while listening to the receivers radio tuner on a second set of speakers off in a kitchen, or in your case, through the headphone amp.

Basically, but I guess it's a line-level output. Based on my understanding of the manual it requires another amplifier/receiver at the other end of the connection. In that sense, it's different from the vast majority of similar dealies I've seen which are basically auxiliary speaker outs, but way more useful in this particular case.

beergod posted:

Just for curiosity's sake- does turning the volume knob on the Sony do anything to the output from the Magni?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Basically, but I guess it's a line-level output. Based on my understanding of the manual it requires another amplifier/receiver at the other end of the connection. In that sense, it's different from the vast majority of similar dealies I've seen which are basically auxiliary speaker outs, but way more useful in this particular case.

Just for curiosity's sake- does turning the volume knob on the Sony do anything to the output from the Magni?

It does nothing. I can only control the volume on the Magni. It actually doesn't get as loud as the output from my receiver's headphone jack. But I can definitely tell that its punchier and the amplifier isn't struggling nearly as hard to output the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Xovaan posted:

DACs are impossible to differentiate in blind trials so the receiver will be perfect if it supports a digital source (coax, USB, etc.) Your setup is basically perfect until you decide to experiment with tube amplification, then your wallet will cry. :)

Thinking of getting my girlfriend a nice pair of headphones with more bass since she really loves electronica (Royksopp, Sneaker Pimps, Tron OST, etc.). I offered my 900's but she said she likes the 700's better. Recessed mids of the 700 maybe? :confused: 700's are way more plush though...

You talkin about the Ad700/Ad900?