Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So Intelligence is just Chuck but unfunny and without interesting characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, Intelligence is just Chuck.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Is this the show with that guy from :lost: that had the "worst pilot ever" or whatever?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Without constant Subway plugs it can never truly be Chuck.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Without constant Subway plugs it can never truly be Chuck.

Also, gratuitous shots of beautiful women in their underwear.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Orange is the New Black is hands down my favorite new drama of the year. Jesus Christ, I was so pissed off when it ended. I want to watch the next episode NOW.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess I was the only one who wasn't dazzled by OitNB. I thought it was ok.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Orange's biggest misstep is pushing Pennsyltuckey as a primary antagonist. She's stupid and destructive, which makes her dangerous, but at the end of the day she's just another inmate and not nearly the malevolent threat the show portrays her as.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think its biggest mistep is embracing rather than satirizing the clueless white girl bullshit the protagonist is constantly throwing around.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do you think they played it up though? The other characters just seemed to shake their head at the situation (and urge Piper to just kick her rear end). The shower scene was kinda off though.

Prison has a lot of people with pure impulse control and bad decision making. It'd be weird if things didn't sometimes get dire.

And I really am amazed by how much Piper worked as a character, not a caricture. Yes, she's kind of a cliche, but one that's understandable in how she got that way and super open to change depending on the circumstances, like anyone really.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

zoux posted:

I guess I was the only one who wasn't dazzled by OitNB. I thought it was ok.

Nah, I think it's pretty much goop. Fine to watch but lacking a core or depth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Do you think they played it up though? The other characters just seemed to shake their head at the situation (and urge Piper to just kick her rear end). The shower scene was kinda off though.

Prison has a lot of people with pure impulse control and bad decision making. It'd be weird if things didn't sometimes get dire.

And I really am amazed by how much Piper worked as a character, not a caricture. Yes, she's kind of a cliche, but one that's understandable in how she got that way and super open to change depending on the circumstances, like anyone really.

As a shallow dramedy it's fine, but this show got borderline offensive in the way it portrayed race and class issues.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, I get that the race stuff powered a lot of articles back when it first came out. I don't really see it, considering the show goes to pains to humanize a really large cast.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think there are individual parts to OitNB--particularly the backstories of some of the other inmates--that are really well done. But the show has enough problems weighing it down that I'm not in love with it like a lot of critics seem to be. Larry is a loving godawful trainwreck of a character and the show would be better served dumping him entirely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say it's probably the finest, most sympathetic portrayal of a transperson I've ever seen anywhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I will say it's probably the finest, most sympathetic portrayal of a transperson I've ever seen anywhere.

Veronica Mars also had a great one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool, can't wait for the 3 pages of VM related words I'm about to read, thanks for invoking that specter.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

Speaking of which, watch Dallas Buyers Club. It's amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joramun posted:

Speaking of which, watch Dallas Buyers Club. It's amazing.

Between this and True Detectives, I'm wondering when Matthew McConaughey became a prestige actor :shrug:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
He's gradually been taking less and less lovely romcom paychecks and doing actual roles instead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Between this and True Detectives, I'm wondering when Matthew McConaughey became a prestige actor :shrug:

I was going to say when he starred in The Royal Tenenbaums, but then I remembered that was Owen Wilson, a far superior actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Speaking of True Detective, I read last night that the way the show is going to work is that every season is going to be a self contained story, kind of like American Horror Story.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

He pretty much has.

Irish Joe posted:

I was going to say when he starred in The Royal Tenenbaums, but then I remembered that was Owen Wilson, a far superior actor.

Never stop Irish Joe-ing, Irish Joe. :allears:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWcc3y_NlY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had to watch Hall Pass as part of my annual holiday exposure to what Real People watch, so please stop saying trigger words at me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Just look at his IMDB page. Lincoln Lawyer. Killer Joe (my favorite movie of that year). Bernie. Wolf of Wall Street. The guy can be basically depended upon to choose great roles and dominate a scene. Its a great turn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was great in Mud too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well he could win a billion Oscars and it would never change what his most seminal line is.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux posted:

He always was. FRAILTY came in the midst of all the crap that people created a persona of him for, during his hottest days, but it's clear from watching a HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS compared to anything that wasn't box-office gumbo that he took those jobs because he was being paid millions and millions of dollars to do so, and of course he'd get paid. But he's never not been an absolutely great actor when the role calls for more than abs, smile, and chuckle.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
McConaughey was great in Magic Mike, best part of the movie. I thought I'd always hate him after that loving How To Lose a Guy movie but he has snuck past me. Kate Hudson on the other hand is exactly who we thought she was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Owen Wilson is a better actor than McConaughey though. Just watch Bottle Rocket, The Minus Man, Royal Tenenbaums, Darjeeling Limited, Life Aquatic, etc.

Also keep in mind that he co-wrote all of Wes Anderson's films prior to Life Aquatic, so there's a good argument to be made that he was the better writer of the two, or at least was good at keeping Anderson grounded.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

And more about TV stuff, I'm doing my semi-annual marathon of Better Off Ted. Really doesn't get enough credit, might be one of my favorite comedies I can think of.

I want someone to remake it animated. That way the inventions could be wackier.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Sophia posted:

McConaughey was great in Magic Mike, best part of the movie.

Actually, the best part was Alex Pettyfer's rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Check his Wikipedia page. It's hilarious.

Failure to Launch
Fool's Gold
Tropic Thunder
Surfer, Dude
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
The Lincoln Lawyer
AWARDS AWARDS AWARDS

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

He totally deserves an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, though. It's like Anne Hathaway in Les Mis. Beforehand you're like, "Her? An Oscar? Don't be ridic." And then you actually see the performance and you're like, "Yeah, OK, give it to her immediately." Same with MMC in DBC.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 6, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Joramun posted:

He totally deserves an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, though. It's like Anne Hathaway is Les Mis.

No one deserved an Oscar for Les Mis, and Russel Crowe deserved a goddamn firing squad :colbert:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Joramun posted:

He totally deserves an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, though. It's like Anne Hathaway is Les Mis. Beforehand you're like, "Her? An Oscar? Don't be ridic." And then you actually see the performance and you're like, "Yeah, OK, give it to her immediately." Same with MMC in DBC.

HAHAHAHA! What? Les Mis was a loving mess and casting one of Hollywood's least sympathetic train wrecks in a role were meant to feel emotions for was one of the biggest mistakes.

She didn't deserve that Oscar at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Check his Wikipedia page. It's hilarious.

Failure to Launch
Fool's Gold
Tropic Thunder
Surfer, Dude
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
The Lincoln Lawyer
AWARDS AWARDS AWARDS

Tropic Thunder is a masterpiece.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

When did people start hating Anne Hathaway? I wasn't aware that was ever a thing, guess it slipped by me.

zoux posted:

I think its biggest mistep is embracing rather than satirizing the clueless white girl bullshit the protagonist is constantly throwing around.

Sounds about like what I'd expect based on Weeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

raditts posted:

When did people start hating Anne Hathaway? I wasn't aware that was ever a thing, guess it slipped by me.

http://gawker.com/5987299/joan-rivers-explains-the-hatred-of-anne-hathaway-better-than-anyone

• Locked thread