Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bobservo posted:

I was born in 1982, so, like Andrew, I saw Ghostbusters II first and didn't understand why everyone thought it was so bad. But with a little perspective, I quickly realized it's a miserable, cynical, cash-in that overwrites the events of the first movie because the writers couldn't think of any better ideas.

I was born the same year and was jazzed for GB2. There were parts of it I loved when I was a kid, but ugh...it's a bad movie. And the sidelining of Ernie Hudson is a little weird. I'm not calling anyone racist, but still...they take their token black character and toss him to one side and then replace him with a white guy...gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

It is better.

Oh my god I can't believe people can like different things.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion!

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just got back from a Home Alone double feature and the most recent WHM was both great and totally right. Kevin McAllister is loving terrifying in that second film.

Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern were a delight but I still can't believe what he did to Fred Savage. (That's probably my favourite NOTLP bit)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Duke posted:

Flophouse tied for 5th on the AV Clubs top 10 podcasts of the year list, there are people in the comments legitimately saying that HDTGM is better :negative:

I'm just glad that apparently I'm not the only person who just doesn't like Flophouse.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Well I appear to be the only person in this thread who really liked Yeah, it's That Bad.
The Flophouse is decent, but I prefer WHM.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well I appear to be the only person in this thread who really liked Yeah, it's That Bad.

Nope. I miss them too, along with Spill.

I'll ostracize myself even more by saying that I don't get the love for WHM here. While I'm still listening to them, it absolutely drives me up the wall when they start making stupid voices and drag an impression/joke out for minutes at a time. What's worse is the fact that they always do it multiple times per episode.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, for some reason WHM's tangents and impressions get on my nerves while they're among my favorite parts of the Flop House. I also can't explain why I enjoy HDTGM so much, nearly as much as the Flop House.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, for some reason WHM's tangents and impressions get on my nerves while they're among my favorite parts of the Flop House. I also can't explain why I enjoy HDTGM so much, nearly as much as the Flop House.

Please tell me you didn't hate the Bill Clinton praising Turbo Man's murder of slobodan milosevic bit from this week.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How dare you hate on Blue Collar shark.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

WHM's Tooth Fairy 2 episode is one of the funniest things I've ever heard and 90% of it is just them going "COOOL!" in a Larry the Cable Guy voice.

Also add me to the pile of fans of YITB. I hated it for the longest time but I listened to a couple of the later episodes and they seemed to get their copious editing under control. That inspired me to go back and listen to pretty much every single episode minus the first dozen or so which are crap. gently caress that site (other podcast?) that wanted to expose them.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I think a lot of it really does come down to personal taste, and that's completely fine. For some reason, I really find WHM's tangents hilarious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm a Flophouse man. None of the other podcasts feature the majesty of "Send that Fuckface back to Krypton".

ELLIOT: I'm imagining a cut of that movie where it's Stewart instead of General Zod on the TVs, saying "Send that Fuckface back to Krypton", then the movie continues as normal.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I'm a Flophouse man. None of the other podcasts feature the majesty of "Send that Fuckface back to Krypton".

ELLIOT: I'm imagining a cut of that movie where it's Stewart instead of General Zod on the TVs, saying "Send that Fuckface back to Krypton", then the movie continues as normal.

None of those podcasts have Jason Mantzoukas

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Jason Mantzoukas is a very funny guy, but I get a lot more replay value out of the podcast where only one guy doesn't understand what happened in the movie, instead of all three of the hosts. HDTGM is the Prometheus of podcasts: I completely enjoy it, but I can't quiet my sense that if the characters were a little more competent, they'd notice even more interesting things than they do.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Production posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is a very funny guy, but I get a lot more replay value out of the podcast where only one guy doesn't understand what happened in the movie, instead of all three of the hosts. HDTGM is the Prometheus of podcasts: I completely enjoy it, but I can't quiet my sense that if the characters were a little more competent, they'd notice even more interesting things than they do.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I completely get everything you're trying to say, but what I'm not getting from you is what exactly is a Street Fighter?

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Mob posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I completely get everything you're trying to say, but what I'm not getting from you is what exactly is a Street Fighter?

If I could adopt June's attitude toward dealing with situations that I don't understand or that common wisdom says I should hate, my life would be wonderful.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Production posted:

I think they notice a lot of the minutia that's funny, they just don't understand the plot of most things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Production posted:

I feel that HDTGM is a lot more inconsistent than the other major bad movie podcasts. I keep listening because when it's good it's very good (and I think they've been on an upswing lately) but sometimes it's just unpleasant. Some of that is on the guests and some of that is on their film choices since they tend to go after the easy targets.

The Flop House is the smarted of the bad movie podcasts which I put down to having a stronger focus on actual film criticism rather than riffing on the entire film or just finding jokes to tell about it.

WHM is more roughly produced than the other two but also meatier with its bad movie content. I wish they weren't doing another worst of year month in January, though. A month is a long time and half their year is theme months now. At least the viewer request months have been fun for bringing in different kinds of movies but worst of 2013 is going to cover some heavily trodden ground.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

I feel that HDTGM is a lot more inconsistent than the other major bad movie podcasts. I keep listening because when it's good it's very good (and I think they've been on an upswing lately) but sometimes it's just unpleasant. Some of that is on the guests and some of that is on their film choices since they tend to go after the easy targets.

The Flop House is the smarted of the bad movie podcasts which I put down to having a stronger focus on actual film criticism rather than riffing on the entire film or just finding jokes to tell about it.

WHM is more roughly produced than the other two but also meatier with its bad movie content. I wish they weren't doing another worst of year month in January, though. A month is a long time and half their year is theme months now. At least the viewer request months have been fun for bringing in different kinds of movies but worst of 2013 is going to cover some heavily trodden ground.

I am pretty sure one will be A Good Day to Die Hard.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mob posted:

This is why I love HDTGM and why I love June.

SHE LIKED DAREDEVIL.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is why I love HDTGM and why I love June.

SHE LIKED DAREDEVIL.

She was happy to hear about the Elektra spinoff and was excited to go watch it. I died laughing when she said that.

Never change, June. :allears:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's interesting the various reasons why people like or dislike the main film pod casts, but is there anyone here who enjoys Filmsack's constant usage of the word "trope" and that loving alert siren they play whenever anyone says it?

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

WampaLord posted:

These monkeys don't know which way is up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vakal posted:

It's interesting the various reasons why people like or dislike the main film pod casts, but is there anyone here who enjoys Filmsack's constant usage of the word "trope" and that loving alert siren they play whenever anyone says it?

Much like why I think Flophouse is sub-tier for being 30 minutes of movie podcast and 30 minutes of mailbag chat, Filmsack is even lower tier for being 15 minutes of film talk and 30 minutes of audio clips.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Great June-ism from Deck the Halls HDTGM:

"Before we get to that clip I do want to just ask one question about space."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The latest HDTGM is amazing just for the behind-the-scenes part about everyone's :smithicide: attitudes on set.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

The latest HDTGM is amazing just for the behind-the-scenes part about everyone's :smithicide: attitudes on set.

Yea, I found that part to be super upsetting

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

weekly font posted:

Much like why I think Flophouse is sub-tier for being 30 minutes of movie podcast and 30 minutes of mailbag chat, Filmsack is even lower tier for being 15 minutes of film talk and 30 minutes of audio clips.

I just started listening to the Flophouse since I'm finally willing to move on from mourning YITB and the mailbag is really turning me off and pushing me towards We Hate Movies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

College Rockout posted:

Yea, I found that part to be super upsetting

Yeah, but they're right on the nose with their Matthew Broderick observations.

Sucks out his life essence, indeed. Holy poo poo what a sad-looking guy.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Have you seen him in 30 Rock? It's amazing.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Elijah Wood looks good though.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Evil Vin posted:

I just started listening to the Flophouse since I'm finally willing to move on from mourning YITB and the mailbag is really turning me off and pushing me towards We Hate Movies.

I used to hate the mailbag too but it's pretty consistently hilarious. The 3000-year-old prospector bit when they were asked about their favorite video game is probably my favorite moment of the show. is probably And Elliott's mailbag songs alone make it worth it because they're pretty objectively the best thing ever.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I would look miserable too if I killed a mother and daughter and had to live with it while the rest of the world just kind of forgot about that whole vehicular manslaughter thing.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Evil Vin posted:

Flophouse mailbag
Letters from listners
Listening to letters
Letters from listeners
Mailbag!

"Our first letter is from Elliot's brother..."

"Goddamnit."

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's kind of a relief to hear that even the more popular movie podcasts will pad out their mailbags with messages from relatives and people they know.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Flophouse mailbag is sometimes my favorite part of the episode, except when the letter is some ridiculously overwritten :smuggo: internet poo poo.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The latest We Hate Movies about After Earth is phenomenal -- I can't remember the last time they've been so mad about a movie.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

WampaLord posted:

She was happy to hear about the Elektra spinoff and was excited to go watch it. I died laughing when she said that.

Her not getting the concept of street fighting was the hardest I ever laughed at the show.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Awesome article here: http://www.avclub.com/article/paul-scheer-picks-his-favorite-ihow-did-this-get-m-92111 with something really awesome in proving me 100% right about Birdemic: James Nguyen is literally autistic or nearly retarded. Tommy Wiseau may be a complete idiot, but he knew how bad The Room was once he saw how everyone reacted to it and TRIED to salvage some amount of dignity by claiming the end result was intentional. James Nguyen, meanwhile, was completely flummoxed that nobody loved the best thing a man of 65 IQ and an indefensibly tenuous grasp of English can pull off. He's been in the United States since he was a child, and yet... Birdemic. The script, the credits (secondary casts), all of it. Punisher Warzone with Patton Oswalt and director Lexi Alexander get a mention, and I can't help but agree with Paul on how the podcast really brought about a new respect for the film and her. I mean, I'm in complete and total brolove with Titus Pullo anyway, so it didn't take too much to push me over that edge. Oh, and June is mentioned as giving everyone the benefit of the doubt on all matters, seemingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like both The Flophous and HDTGM, but Elliot's songs in The Flophouse are way better than the abominations that HDTGM uses for second opinions/corrections and omissions.

Also, the Flophouse mailbag is usually funnier than Paul Scheer answering letters by himself, why can't June answer them with him?