Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I wanted to say this as well...

Does this mean if my fps is higher than 60 it shoots faster? I can easily get 80-90 fps in an intense fight with a few dozen enemies with four Warframes all through abilities.

Also the Grataka is nice, but the low damage even from crits doesn't help if it isn't potatoed and Forma'd a little. Which is why I think I'll just wait for a Soma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Brownieftw posted:

So how bad overall is the boltor as I'm thinking about potatoing it once it finishes building. I like it a lot compared to what i have available currently at rank 3. Or should I just potato oberon when it finished building tomorrow?

The Boltor is not a bad weapon at all. I'd say it's even near the "great" line of weapon tier. Definitely go for it if you can't get the Karak. If you are already rank 6, then you're open to get the Soma and everything else is inferior to the Soma. Objectively. Seriously. I only bring my Soma to kill bosses fast and don't feel like having a challenge.

Boltor is still good and hits like a truck. It used to be one of the best because of armor ignore, then it became sub-par when they changed armor system. Then they upped the damage and projectile speed it's good again. The only thing is the "great" standard got hosed when they put the Soma in the game.

Also, potatoes between weapons and warframes are different so you don't have to potato one instead of the other. Unless you're thinking of buying the potato and you only got enough plat for one. If so, I'd say the Boltor is more potato worthy than Oberon. You can use it to level up 3 more ranks before Soma. Or get the Karak later if you must have hitscan.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
edit: Nevermind!

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 6, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

SlayVus posted:

Does this mean if my fps is higher than 60 it shoots faster? I can easily get 80-90 fps in an intense fight with a few dozen enemies with four Warframes all through abilities.

The delay between bursts is the same, regardless of your framerate. What changes is the time between bullets in the burst. So, over a sustained period of firing (multiple bursts), the average DPS will be the same.

e: Here's a visual version, with time progressing left-to-right, and the blue lines in the center representing mouse clicks:

No matter what your FPS, you're getting out five shots with each click of the mouse, and you have the same delay between clicks. However, the shots themselves come out faster or slower based on your FPS.

This is important because the Hind's play style is all about "get five shots out super fast with almost no recoil, have 3-5 of them be headshots, wait for a sec, do it to another enemy." If your FPS is low, those shots will be out slower, and you might have some of them miss / not be headshots. It lowers both your spike damage output, and your ammo efficiency (because you may now need two bursts to kill a target if you only get 1 headshot instead of 3).

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 6, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Which of the Vectis and Vulkar are better? The Vectis hits harder from the start, but the Vulkar is mostly one damage type, making a type-specific mod more effective.

Type damage if only effective against one enemy type. So an impact weapon with only an impact damage mod doesn't increase the elemental damage as much as a serration mod when elemental mods are installed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Typed damage on rifles is crap (+5% per mod level) and easily outclassed by elemental damage (+15% damage per tier). In addition, most bonuses to typed damage (barring Accelerated Blast which is bugged) grant additional damage based on how much of that type of damage the weapon outputs at base; this is crap because any weapon that does typed damage doesn't have 100% in that type. (The Flux Rifle used to be all Slashing, but was changed.) Meanwhile, elemental damage grants additional damage based on the total base damage of the weapon.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fuzz posted:

You and Bitbasher never join the goon groups or chats on PS4... if you did we could help you guys out.

I haven't really done much with the PS4 beyond playing the games. I have looked in the team chat in the game but I have never seen anyone type anything there. As lame as I feel for asking this, can you give me a brief explanation of where to go?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BitBasher posted:

I haven't really done much with the PS4 beyond playing the games. I have looked in the team chat in the game but I have never seen anyone type anything there. As lame as I feel for asking this, can you give me a brief explanation of where to go?

It's the headphone icon on the XMB/Dashboard. You can have up to 8 people in a *voice* chat, independent of what game or lobby you are in. Whenever goons on PS4 play Warframe, a bunch of them get in chat.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

BitBasher posted:

I keep inviting you to party chat (ps4 cross game chat thingy).
We could pretend it's MAG!

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Golgozor posted:

I keep inviting you to party chat (ps4 cross game chat thingy).

Ah, the good old days... let's have some team building exercises in the clan dojo!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
as I close on Mastery rank 12, I find myself starting to feel the burn-out.

Maybe it's time to use these dozens upon dozens of keys.

I enjoy the Karak. Using small bursts it just takes down 3-4 guys before going empty. Magazine mods aren't worth the 10 bullets for 9 points, as I would get better returns on, say, the Gorgon, or even a Soma or Kraken.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Please invite to the PS4 clan! PSN is Hizke.

Here's a story about PS4 pubs. Played last night and gf was laughing about a pubbie named Jizzy_mist. I wanted to try farming Jackal for Rhino parts and no one seemed to understand he only activates once everyone is there. These dumb pubs are on the mic and continue to repeat WHY ISNT JACKAL STARTING and I'm calmly trying to explain it only starts once everyone is there but JIZZY_MIST gets downed somewhere half a stage away. I do a mad dash and track him down just as he's running out of time, pull his assailants and mash revive. The whole time these pubbies are yelling WHY ISN'T JACKAL STARTING and commenting OH MAN YOU DIED to Jizzy_mist. My girlfriend and I are laughing, considering that -NO ONE- has died and even jizzy_mist is like "no one is dead guys, no one ever died". The best part is we kill Jackal and get to the extraction and the other guys are like "Oh when did you get revived" to the jizzmaester who is still as confused as I am.

I only really started playing this game a few days ago, but playing as Mag and pulling hundreds of enemies to their death feels like cheating.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Hizke posted:

I only really started playing this game a few days ago, but playing as Mag and pulling hundreds of enemies to their death feels like cheating.

As you get to the L25-30+ planets, you'll eventually get to where Pull's damage is insignificant on heavies and trash mobs alike. Respec for power effiency (Streamline and Fleeting Expertise) and power range (Stretch and Overextended) and ragdoll multiple rooms ahead of your party. They'll do most of the shootmans and you're free to spam Pull with a max range of 58.75m and min cost of 6 energy. :getin:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My favorite pubbie name I've seen is Fagattron, who I had to revive his Excalibur Mk. 1 Braton equipped frame twice two minutes in on the corpus survival mission on Venus since I needed to farm circuits. When the clock hit 5 minutes everyone made a mad dash for extraction and I only got 90 or so circuits :smith:

I hope someday DE implements a market system that allows you to trade resources for each other (albeit at a penalty) similar to how you could do it in the Heroes of Might & Magic games. I can never get enough circuits and plastids but I'm swimming in alloy plates (which is supposed to be an uncommon material).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I am really impressed with the Sicarus Prime. I liked the original, but it was never a competitor to the hand cannons. The Magnus was at the top of my sidearm list until I got the S Prime. Totally worth the effort to get. Next up: Dakra Prime. I don't need those 15 cells for anything. Then maybe the Reaper Prime?

If you're stuck for a secondary to try out, I can't say enough good about the Magnus. It's really accurate and hammers things pretty well. The Ether Reaper is a realy fun melee option, too. Really quick and has pretty stylish animations. I'm hoping I can get my hands on a Reaper Prime or a Hate to keep the scythe train rolling. They have candy cane skins, which is fantastic. Looks nice with my fake-Prime Soma and Sicarus Prime.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Sometimes that just happens no matter what. I had it happen to me while I am running an immortality Trinity. Everyone is indestructible, things are dying at a decent pace. They flee anyway.

On the other hand it also occurred that my pubbies were highly aware of their immortality but totally ignored that kill time and enemy damage was going through the roof and thus they overstayed and we nearly lost all the loot to retarded hubris.

Not even the fact that they got pulverised 2 seconds after a blessing wore off managed to stop them from wasting revives in the middle of a corpus mosh pit while I stood at the exit telling them not to revive so we could end the round.

In a certain sense it was amazing.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Feenix posted:

It's the headphone icon on the XMB/Dashboard. You can have up to 8 people in a *voice* chat, independent of what game or lobby you are in. Whenever goons on PS4 play Warframe, a bunch of them get in chat.

Silly me, I was looking in game for a way to chat in the game. I'll jump in next time I am on for any length of time.

Golgozor posted:

MAG did so much right, it sucks that it didn't to better.

Speaking of which, two friends of mine that were in the goon guild in MAG could use an invite here if possible, I'll vouch for them. NeonAnubis and Havok-1. If you played MAG you should have played with both of them on SVER.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 Questions:

1) Is it PSN or Warframe servers that are making GBS threads the bed at the moment? (Finally got in, but it was all kinds of difficult to.

2) I have Focus. Should I Fusion it up and then place it on Rhino? I can move mods from frame to frame if I want, right?

[edit] I lied. Third question: I don't see actual statistics on ranking up Rhino Stomp, but it has 3 levels. What is the benefit?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 6, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Feenix posted:

2 Questions:

1) Is it PSN or Warframe servers that are making GBS threads the bed at the moment? (Finally got in, but it was all kinds of difficult to.

2) I have Focus. Should I Fusion it up and then place it on Rhino? I can move mods from frame to frame if I want, right?

[edit] I lied. Third question: I don't see actual statistics on ranking up Rhino Stomp, but it has 3 levels. What is the benefit?
The Warframe servers are chugging a bit because they're handing out the Cicero rewards, and a bunch of people are relogging.

You can use mods on as many frames as you want.

Ingame descriptions are worthless, use the wiki.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Feenix posted:

2 Questions:

1 - don't know
2 - Probably not a bad idea, you can use it on all frames without having to move it and it stays useful on many of them.
3 - Increased radius and damage; aside from mod cost there is no downside to leveling it up and maxing abilities is always cheap. Max Iron Skin before anything else though.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
It also immobilizes any enemy who survives it, allowing you to pump lead into them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Cicero rewards are out. I haven't tried out the twin wipers yet, but oh boy those dual toxic/status mods. They're for melee, pistol, rifle, and shotgun, and all have the same stats.

Stock, 4 energy, +15% Toxin, +15% Status
Maxed, 7 energy, +60% Toxin, +60% Status

Regular status chance single mods cap at 15% for 7 or 9 energy, depending on type.

DE, does your concept of balancing your game consist of flattening it with a 100 ton acme weight?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Hotfix 11.5.8:

Cicero Crisis Over!

Rewards are being sent out right now! Completed! Please log out and in if you are unable to see your rewards (provided you were eligible).

REWARDS
- Score 10 points and you will receive an Event Badge.
- Score 50 points and you will receive a set of 4x Dual Stat Mods (Status chance + Toxic Damage).
- Score 100 points and you will earn a set of Wraith Twin Vipers!

Stay tuned for word from our smelter on trophies.

Changes:

Made /invite add the target user to your recent contacts so that if you need to re-send the invite, you can use your mouse.

Fixes:

Fixed instances of giant fog/gas clouds appearing in main menu. (Based on reports, some instances still not fixed).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a mid-teens Rhino fighting Ruk solo. I am holding my own health-wise, but cannot damage him at all. IS there a trick or am I just doing it wrong or what?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So went to play with the new vipers, they still eat ammo way to fast for the pistol pool, but they're just as fun to shoot as the originals and hold a lot more bullets so you'll only have to reload ever three seconds of firing instead of one and a half.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Feenix posted:

I have a mid-teens Rhino fighting Ruk solo. I am holding my own health-wise, but cannot damage him at all. IS there a trick or am I just doing it wrong or what?

Ruk is hard to solo; his weak spot for phase 3 is on his back.

Phase 1: He runs around using his arm-gun as a flamethrower, and throws fire bombs. Weak spot is the exhaust on his shoulder.
Phase 2: Same as phase 1, plus starts slamming the ground to create expanding fire rings. Weak spot is his chest.
Phase 3: Same as phase 2, plus starts summoning flame pillars. Weak spot is the blue light on his back; it only opens when using the pillars or fire ring abilities.

If you're trying to solo Ruk, your best bet is to get up onto the second floor, and run around there. Try to get him to use the fire pillar ability while he's standing on the stairs, and you should be able to get some shots in.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Feenix posted:

Wait for him to do a big attack, then a section of his armor will open up. Shoot the glowing white things then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ullerrm posted:

Ruk is hard to solo; his weak spot for phase 3 is on his back.

Phase 1: He runs around using his arm-gun as a flamethrower, and throws fire bombs. Weak spot is the exhaust on his shoulder.
Phase 2: Same as phase 1, plus starts slamming the ground to create expanding fire rings. Weak spot is his chest.
Phase 3: Same as phase 2, plus starts summoning flame pillars. Weak spot is the blue light on his back; it only opens when using the pillars or fire ring abilities.

If you're trying to solo Ruk, your best bet is to get up onto the second floor, and run around there. Try to get him to use the fire pillar ability while he's standing on the stairs, and you should be able to get some shots in.

Got it, thanks to you both. I wasn't doing a tick of damage on his bar at all. But I will keep the advice in mind... :)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Great looks like I no longer need to grind myself to death trying to get those poison mods! Although arent these dual ones a bit overpowered?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
These aren't overpowered and don't change the balance in any way.

Every single one is weaker than the not-dual version, because status chance is worthless.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

It DOES mean you don't have to be either crazy lucky or crazy dedicated to get a poison shotgun mod.

Unless you want to run both a shotgun AND a sweeper carrier, but it's something, at least.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

Every single one is weaker than the not-dual version, because status chance is worthless.

Except according to Fish Noise, they max out at 4x the percentage for the toxin damage at the same or less energy usage.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

I wouldn't call it uniformly weaker.

Rank-3 Cicero: +60% poison, for 7 cost (V polarity)
Rank-3 Infected Clip: +60% poison, for 9 cost (- polarity)
Rank-5 Infected Clip: +90% poison, for 11 cost (- polarity)

If you don't already have an absolutely maxed-out poison mod, they're more cost-efficient than the normal one, and might make the difference on some fittings.

+ status chance is only useful on Lanka, Grakata, and maybe Hek.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

You know I have to imagine that if they just made the physical damage type mods 5 or 10% more effective per level then elemental damage it would solve a lot of problems. If enemy resistances were more important it would make rainbow load outs not mandatory on every weapon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm on the fence about trying this game and I'm kind of getting mixed messages on it. While I appreciate that the game is initially free, I consider my time to be at a premium so I gotta ask: is this a buggy piece of poo poo on the PC or does it usually run pretty decently? I want to lose myself in a wonderland of farming materials by stylishly shooting mans in mission after mission, but I don't want to fight very much with the game to do that.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
By far the most important change:

New Grineer vs. Corpus invasion mission tile involves literally firing yourself out of a cannon and into the hull of the opposing spacecraft.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm on the fence about trying this game and I'm kind of getting mixed messages on it. While I appreciate that the game is initially free, I consider my time to be at a premium so I gotta ask: is this a buggy piece of poo poo on the PC or does it usually run pretty decently? I want to lose myself in a wonderland of farming materials by stylishly shooting mans in mission after mission, but I don't want to fight very much with the game to do that.

The game runs great on PC. I haven't since the summer, but for a time I was playing on my wife's HP laptop, which she'd gotten for Christmas the year before. I probably turned down some settings, but it still ran fine. I remember when I started playing a year ago lots of people were amazed at how well it ran.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Coldbird posted:

By far the most important change:

New Grineer vs. Corpus invasion mission tile involves literally firing yourself out of a cannon and into the hull of the opposing spacecraft.

It's really fun when it bugs out and fires the shell's model but doesn't carry you with it.

Almost as fun as using MPrime right after it lands, since they cram the exit hallway full of about a quarter of the map's enemies. :sweep::supaburn:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

redstormpopcorn posted:

It's really fun when it bugs out and fires the shell's model but doesn't carry you with it.

Almost as fun as using MPrime right after it lands, since they cram the exit hallway full of about a quarter of the map's enemies. :sweep::supaburn:

Listen, they're Grineer, not rocket scientists. What's a few catastrophic explosions of gore between friends? Just clone up a new torso and limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Coldbird posted:

Listen, they're Grineer, not rocket scientists. What's a few catastrophic explosions of gore between friends? Just clone up a new torso and limbs.

This is where Heavy Gunners come from.