Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is there a fifth boss? I did the 4 bosses, maxed the city, and started the demo, that's 6.

Yup, you're not done. Go back into the palace for your last quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is there a fifth boss? I did the 4 bosses, maxed the city, and started the demo, that's 6.

Yes, there's one more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is BD on the eShop in Europe/Japan, or will I have to buy a physical copy once it comes out here? Don't want to preorder physical if I can get digital.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
More or less every 3DS game gets a digital release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not all 3DS games are on the eshop but it appears to only be some of the first 3ds titles. I think Nintendo makes it a requirement now that all games be on the eshop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BD is on the eShop here in Europe and it was enormous. Like 3.3 gig or so.
It may be a different story with the EU languages removed though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
But the game only has english and jp voice-overs. The other languages are just text.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't see why they'd remove EU text options. Even the Japanese version has that.

Anyhoo, did you know there was a Bravely Default concert with orchestral versions of all the tracks? You can find them on youtube, but since it has some spoilers like the final boss theme and vocals that spoil plot points, you should only check it out once you've beaten the game.

You can listen to this one though.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I know the Dragon fight in the demo has been talked about at length on previous pages, but I think I have the optimal strategy for the fight. It will probably work against the Automaton as well.

PARTY COMPOSITION:
* Three Job Lvl 4 Black Mages with sub-command Ninjutsu; abilities Turn Tables, Comeback Kid, and Buff Up; and best equipment available
* One Job Lvl 4 Knight with sub-command Bushido; abilities Two-Handed, Chivalrous Spirit, and Buff Up; and best equipment available

Before the battle begins, stock up on Potions and Ethers, then bring all your Black Mages to critical HP. Best way to do this is to go to the northeast forest, step in the doo-doo water, use an Antidote on the Knight, then walk around for a bit.

When you begin the fight against the Dragon, have all the Black Mages use Utsusemi, and have the Knight use Nothing Ventured. Every round thereafter:

* Have each Black Mage use Utsusemi if it is not currently activated. If it is, either cast Blizzara on the Dragon, use a Potion on the Knight to keep her HP up, or use an Ether on a Black Mage to keep their MP up. Have them Brave for four turns in a row whenever they hit 3 BP.
* Have the Knight use Nothing Ventured. This will counter both Mow Down and Bully, and the Knight will jump in the path of any Bully attempts that target your Black Mages (i.e. all of them, since Bully always targets the character with the lowest HP).

If you make no mistakes, your Black Mages will never get hit, all of your characters will be fully buffed after just a few rounds, and the Dragon will go down in a hail of Blizzaras and kanji-smattered counterattacks.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Rasamune posted:

I know the Dragon fight in the demo has been talked about at length on previous pages, but I think I have the optimal strategy for the fight.

If you have access to the level 3 Norende weapon shop and accessory shop:

Party composition:
* Four job level 4 ninjas equipped with 2 Kunai and Hermes Sandals. Sub-commands are Turn Tables, Comeback Kid, and Multitask. One ninja should have the Singing Job Ability. None of the other character's job abilities matter.

Turn 1: Your singer should Brave twice and use Utsusemi and Love Power Twice. All other characters should use Utsusemi. Dragon should use Mow Down, if it doesn't Turn 2 changes a bit.

Turn 2: If dragon didn't use Mow Down, default on this turn. Otherwise, most of your characters should have 1 BP. Have any character at 1 BP Brave 3 times and use Ikkikasei and attack 3 times. If you have two characters do this, the dragon will die this turn. If one character gets lucky with crits or Multitask procs, you'll get the satisfaction of watching one character obliterate the dragon by itself.

This strategy works for the Automaton as well, though you may want to wait for a bit more BP or for him to put up the damage buff (which lowers its armor).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just fyi, if you have more than one character in one job then you're boring and should find more interesting strategies. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Terper posted:

Just fyi, if you have more than one character in one job then you're boring and should find more interesting strategies. :colbert:

Yes, like a Valkyrie with Ninja skills and a Ninja with Valkyrie skills. :v:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Terper posted:

Well, I didn't say it was the most interesting strategy, just an effective one. :v: I did it with VAL/KNT/WMG/BMG myself.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the Japanese Official Bravely Default Twitter has a comment on the whole costumegate or whatever:

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/419484373017051136

Japanese Official Bravely Default Twitter posted:

Japan is a good country huh?

The story going around Japan is "look at those :reddit: crying over costume changes"

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

^^^ I looked at the picture linked in that tweet and it shows two sprite redraws that make the originals only slightly less revealing. Are there really people complaining about that? :psyduck:

I finished the demo today and it was really fun, so now I'm extra-hyped for this game. How exactly does adding friends online work in the full game? Will I be able to add a bunch of people day 1 and start with a huge village, or do they limit how many people you can add at a time or anything like that? The reason I'm wondering is that I didn't see the post here about the villager trick until it was too late for me to do it, and I'm wondering how much a difference those extra villagers will make. Though of course in the month it takes for this game to come out I may very well replay the demo anyway!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Orchids! posted:

^^^ I looked at the picture linked in that tweet and it shows two sprite redraws that make the originals only slightly less revealing. Are there really people complaining about that? :psyduck:

Like you wouldn't believe.

(mainly because a lot of people seriously misunderstand what's being censored/modified and to what extent)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orchids! posted:

The train of thought is "The changes are very mild, but the mere concept of them is censorship and you are destroying my FREEDOM by doing that."

To these people, this is only one step away from the NSA installing a camera drone to follow your every move and not, you know, small and vague changes to ensure a 12 rating/whatever it is in the states to maximise sales while not massively removing their identity.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, right. They try to act like they're making a principled stand against the tyranny of censorship, but we all know they just want to jerk it to anime girls in skimpy outfits.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And even then, there's still quite a lot of adult humor and some seriously dark stuff, even with the censorship.

Nerds get upset over the dumbest things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seriously. In the full game there's a nice fleshed out encyclopaedia to supplement the plot. I haven't gotten around to reading the two longest parts of it just yet, but just reading the notes that get added and updated at plot intervals reveals a lot of things that most JRPG's dare not to tread.

General early to mid game, avoid if you're only playing the Demo:I mean, the fact that you're not just beating the jobmasters in a fight for the first part of the game, you're straight up killing them is pretty different to anything non-Cavia.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Rasamune posted:

(mainly because a lot of people seriously misunderstand what's being censored/modified and to what extent)

Holy jeez that thread goes on for 40 pages. Thanks for reminding me why I post here and generally avoid other forums, I guess. It's incredible to me that there are people in this world for whom life is so comfortable that "censorship" becomes a salient concept when it means "my anime girlfriend can't wear a thong into battle."

Pre-ordered the CE for this game, I'm so excited for the artbook! I love looking at concept art for games, and I really liked the look of the town in the demo and most of the character costumes.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Man, playing that demo on hard really sold me on this game. It's definitely FFV on crack. Bosses gave me a real rush and love being pushed to use the most broken setups I can come up with and see some delicious results.

Censorship be damned, I just want this here already.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

That's the most cutest holiday drawing. :3:

Also end game question, Japanese version: You apparently unlock a costume after clearing the game on Hard mode with the True Ending. I've done that but it doesn't work. Maybe they don't count it if you didn't play through the entire game on Hard Mode? Anyone else with the Japanese version have info on that? :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I preorded the CE this afternoon on my lunch. Usually I'd go digital, but the game is awesome and it's a Friday release so I won't be able to play it until after work anyways.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I really hope it's possible to beat the game on hard with any party. Would love to be able to do a 4 job fiesta with this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

That's the most cutest holiday drawing. :3:

Also end game question, Japanese version: You apparently unlock a costume after clearing the game on Hard mode with the True Ending. I've done that but it doesn't work. Maybe they don't count it if you didn't play through the entire game on Hard Mode? Anyone else with the Japanese version have info on that? :(

I've heard that yes, you need to keep it on Hard mode for the entire way, never switching it off.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Terper posted:

And even then, there's still quite a lot of adult humor and some seriously dark stuff, even with the censorship.
It feels like a dark comedy without the jokes sometimes. Like with Egil.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so there are multiple endings? The game doesn't come out in the US for another month, but I'd like to know how to get the true ending, as spoiler-free as possible.

Edit: vvv Okay, I see. Thanks. I was worried some Persona 4 bullshit was gonna go down.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 6, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, so there are multiple endings? The game doesn't come out in the US for another month, but I'd like to know how to get the true ending, as spoiler-free as possible.

There are only two endings. It's very, very obvious how to get them both, and really, they're the same ending, but one is more "complete" and sets up the sequel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I lucked into making a Ninja/Red Mage which seems to be the god combo for the demo. That guaranteed dodge + restore bp makes the bosses a cinch since they almost all do exclusively physical attacks. You also do great damage once you upgrade that stupid town and buy 2 kukri.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am a super player. :toot:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Rasamune posted:

I'm actually happy about this, if only because I've played the JP version for a bit and seriously the sage stuff and pretty much all of the water crystal chapter is just a string of distateful sexual innuendo that made it hard to care about the story. If they tone that poo poo down even a little bit the game will be better for it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What do you mean by "distasteful sexual innuendo" because without any context you just sound like a prude who hates jokes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Livingtrope posted:

What do you mean by "distasteful sexual innuendo" because without any context you just sound like a prude who hates jokes.

It's typical anime Master-Roshi-the-pervy-old-guy stuff. As it is, you just sort of roll your eyes and wait for it to be done with, but it would have been more grody if Agnes was still 17 rather than 20 in this version.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Terper posted:

I've heard that yes, you need to keep it on Hard mode for the entire way, never switching it off.

Neat. I guess that's what I'm gonna do on my next play through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What does hard mode change anyway? Is it just a flat buff to enemy stats or is there pattern/AI changes?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I was hoping Amazon would get more CEs in stock but with only a month left to go I don't think they'll get any. Cancelled my regular order from there and pre-ordered the CE at Best Buy.

Really can't wait to play the full game. It'll be a nice holdover until Dark Souls II / Diablo III: Reaper of Souls / Southpark Stick of Truth come out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For what it's worth, I am irritated at the changes, but more for the sake of having to change it at all. I don't really care about bikinis or tit belts or wherever, it just bothers me that we're still having to dance this dance when a game comes overseas. I guess I'd rather Japan just make up their minds and decide if they want underage characters or scantily clad characters. Trying to do both and forcing other countries to clean up the mess and get blamed for it irritates the hell outta me.

In demo news, I beat the turtle earlier today and I was curious to know if the minotaur will be a huge leap in difficulty.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Shinjobi posted:

In demo news, I beat the turtle earlier today and I was curious to know if the minotaur will be a huge leap in difficulty.

I went and faffed about in the temple and almost got my rear end kicked in by trash, so it's probably a fair bet. I think the game expects you to get weapons from Norende at some point and scales accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure
Oct 30, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

Vampires get a skill that charms enemies, but the problem with this is that the enemy still won't cast it unless you need to be healed to begin with. So save before encountering the enemy that has the skill, poison your entire team, spam the skill on them and they should hopefully cast it on you before you die. Either that, or damage the enemy first and then cast Reflect on them, although I didn't have much luck with this, having the skill that lets you cast any spell on all allies or enemies would've probably helped.
Thanks a bunch. Reflect didn't work but I did damage the person with the class until near death. Took a while for them to cast it though!

• Locked thread