Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I would really love it if the Chiefs could address the secondary in the 1st round as I am convinced any WR they draft will bust.

Clinton-Dix, Dennard, Ebron, ASJ, Paul Richardson is my wishlist in order
They really need to get the corners they have already playing better.

Parmesan Basil posted:

Also, what's the order now? Packers, Eagles, Chiefs and Bengals, right?
Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pron on VHS posted:

I would really love it if the Chiefs could address the secondary in the 1st round as I am convinced any WR they draft will bust.

They could always pick up secondary in the first round, and then go for a receiver in the sec....awwwww.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Parmesan Basil posted:

Also, what's the order now? Packers, Eagles, Chiefs and Bengals, right?

Thank god.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

quote:

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 9m
Orlando Sun Sentinel reporting Blake Bortles/QB/Central Florida will enter the draft...

Bortles is declaring, but Hundley is likely staying in school. It feels like the Vikings options are going to be to trade up, take Carr at 8, or draft defense in the first and add a QB like Mettenberger or Murray later in the draft. I'd be willing to trade up for Bridgewater, but probably not for Bortles or Manziel, but plenty can change between now and the draft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Volkerball posted:

They could always pick up secondary in the first round, and then go for a receiver in the sec....awwwww.

In hindsight, Alex Smith at least has worked out and well it's not like they passed on Calvin Johnson for Jamarcus Russel.

Aniki posted:

Bortles is declaring, but Hundley is likely staying in school. It feels like the Vikings options are going to be to trade up, take Carr at 8, or draft defense in the first and add a QB like Mettenberger or Murray later in the draft. I'd be willing to trade up for Bridgewater, but probably not for Bortles or Manziel, but plenty can change between now and the draft.
I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where Rick Spielman doesn't reach for Derek Carr or Manziel at 8 so he can try to buy himself a few more years of job security.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

In his defense the only teams that made Luck look bad this year all had ridiculous pass rushes.

I actually said this while talking about football to someone. "Miami beat Indy only because they had a decent pass rush. They only sacked him three times, but if it wasn't for Andrew Luck being so goddamn elusive, they would have gotten 7-8. No joke.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bhsman posted:

Intruder, I offer this as a peace offering after the argument earlier:

The only reason I didn't post this with the Manziel and Clowney photoshops was because I didn't find one until just now :pseudo:

It seems somehow off like his upper body is too big for his lower body

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So this makes the final pick from the Smith trade what, #55? Should be some good players at the positions we need at that point, or it would be a nice chip to have if we want to make a big move up in the first, hopefully from 32.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I've seen the original picture and there isn't much difference; Ted's just really skinny.

WickedClawesome
May 19, 2009
What is the general consensus on Jace Amaro? He is huge and runs well, plus had a very productive season. Will he be in the first round now, or still looking like a 2nd/3rd guy?

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Intruder posted:

And look at those eyes. He's terrified.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

So this makes the final pick from the Smith trade what, #55? Should be some good players at the positions we need at that point, or it would be a nice chip to have if we want to make a big move up in the first, hopefully from 32.

We've got this #23 pick...

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I actually said this while talking about football to someone. "Miami beat Indy only because they had a decent pass rush. They only sacked him three times, but if it wasn't for Andrew Luck being so goddamn elusive, they would have gotten 7-8. No joke.

Yea same with the Colts/Rams game. He's a slippery gently caress but with a heavy pass rush you can stop him. Problem is only a handful of teams can do that and that's with his terrible o-line. God he's going to dominate the league isn't he?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

People really underestimate how good of an athlete Andrew Luck is.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

LiquidFriend posted:

People really underestimate how good of an athlete Andrew Luck is.

I think a lot of people recognized that when he was basically a clone of Cam Newton at the combine.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

WickedClawesome posted:

What is the general consensus on Jace Amaro? He is huge and runs well, plus had a very productive season. Will he be in the first round now, or still looking like a 2nd/3rd guy?

He might sneak into the end of the first, but I seriously doubt he'll be taken over ASJ or Ebron. Probably won't go in the third round.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not a huge fan of Amaro but lets not pretend his draft stock hasn't soared the past few months. Guy will likely shine at the combine too. I would be genuinely surprised if he escaped the 1st round.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I haven't been paying a tremendous amount of attention to the TEs because the Niners probably won't take one, but most draft pundits I keep up with seem to have Ebron, Amaro, and ASJ in that order.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sefarian-Jenkins really screwed himself this year in terms of production because the guy is a monster athlete

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grozz Nuy posted:

I haven't been paying a tremendous amount of attention to the TEs because the Niners probably won't take one, but most draft pundits I keep up with seem to have Ebron, Amaro, and ASJ in that order.

The Combine would have to blow up draftboards for them to not go in that order.

I still think ASJ will have the best career.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Declan MacManus posted:

Sefarian-Jenkins really screwed himself this year in terms of production because the guy is a monster athlete

I still think he'll go before Amaro because of his upside, but I tend to severely underestimate how much "maturity issues" weigh on scouts' minds.

(needless to say, I don't give a gently caress about a DUI)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Matt Miller, B/R (@nfldraftscout), has his underclassmen talent grades here if you need an additional resource.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArsvXM5M8f44dDVtdUxFTVZ5Q0o4UFBTdlZLOHFDOEE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
We all knew Watkins was gone after this year, but I'm really surprised Bryant is leaving too... Dude is passing up getting his degree, becoming the #1 receiver, and gaining a LOT of maturity just because his family needs the money. In '12 he was a bit of a crap-shoot; a lot of dropped passes, missed routes, etc. This past season he improved a LOT. I was looking forward to seeing him make even more improvements for next year.

i wish the guy all the best and hope he has a good, long NFL career, but I just think his odds would be better with one more year at Clemson :(

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid players going pro for the money.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
De'Anthony Thomas declared, after a season of several missed games due to injury. Really thought he could benefit from another year, is he going to get picked up for anything other than return duty?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Stupid players going pro for the money.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know his family situation is bad and all... But if he could have just held out for one more year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

dphi posted:

De'Anthony Thomas declared, after a season of several missed games due to injury. Really thought he could benefit from another year, is he going to get picked up for anything other than return duty?
I always figured he'd be converted to a slot receiver in the NFL. He has the same measurables as Tavon Austin and I think most people have him graded as a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes much higher once he tests at the Combine.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Ozu posted:

I always figured he'd be converted to a slot receiver in the NFL. He has the same measurables as Tavon Austin and I think most people have him graded as a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes much higher once he tests at the Combine.

Tavon Austin isn't exactly a favorable comparison right now though. Dude struggled mightily most of the year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rookie WR with Brian Schottenheimer and Kellen Clemens. I was very high on Austin; still am.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

excidium posted:

Tavon Austin isn't exactly a favorable comparison right now though. Dude struggled mightily most of the year.

Wasn't a favorable comparison last year either. Austin was not a top 15 talent, much less top 10.

RE: Tight Ends. ASJ is a freak athlete but Amaro is up there too. Both should look good in the NFL.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Aniki posted:

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where Rick Spielman doesn't reach for Derek Carr or Manziel at 8 so he can try to buy himself a few more years of job security.

I'm also convinced that Spielman knows how important it will be to get a real quarterback. With how well he and his staff have done with draft trades in the last two drafts, I'd imagine that they'll find a way to trade up to get Bridgewater or Manziel. (If Manziel doesn't declare, that really changes things, though.) The Vikings beat writers are saying how deeply opposed Spielman is to trading away future draft picks, but I'd have to imagine he'd be willing to do it if he can get a franchise QB.

I don't think there's any way that the Vikings take Carr, though. At least I hope they don't.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ozu posted:

He's showed some promise as a receiver on short routes, but he'll probably get hurt a lot if they try to force the ball to him in the middle. Gonna be interesting to see how dynamic he is at the next level.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Candiru posted:

I'm also convinced that Spielman knows how important it will be to get a real quarterback. With how well he and his staff have done with draft trades in the last two drafts, I'd imagine that they'll find a way to trade up to get Bridgewater or Manziel. (If Manziel doesn't declare, that really changes things, though.) The Vikings beat writers are saying how deeply opposed Spielman is to trading away future draft picks, but I'd have to imagine he'd be willing to do it if he can get a franchise QB.

I don't think there's any way that the Vikings take Carr, though. At least I hope they don't.

I'm not necessarily opposed to Carr, but I still don't know enough about him to have a definitive opinion on him one way or the other. I do know that the Vikings have been scouting QBs extensively this year, so hopefully they'll be able to zero in on a QB or two that they really like and find a way within reason to get one. I do agree with Spielman's opposition to trading future draft picks. The hard part right now is that Seattle's 3rd is the only extra pick we have right now and the Vikings have a lot of needs, especially on defense. If Spielman goes all in getting a QB, then a good indicator would be the Vikings being unusually active in FA.

Edit: Once a coach is in place, then we can start to figure out which QBs may fit whatever their desired scheme will be.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So who are the big name DBs coming out this year and will any of them be available around when the Eagles are picking?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Quiet Feet posted:

So who are the big name DBs coming out this year and will any of them be available around when the Eagles are picking?

The guys I'm watching for possible 49ers picks are Gilbert, Varrett, Purifoy and Gaines. The Eagles would be in position to take any of those, I'd think.

Edit: Ward, Zimmerman and Pryor are the safeties I've watched and liked, if that's your interest.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 6, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Former #1 recruit in the country Ronald Powell has declared for the draft. Doesn't seem like a great idea, but hey. He played really well for like half a year, tore his ACL in 2012, and played okay this year.

I guess I don't blame him because of the injury history, but man, he could come back for his senior year and greatly improve his draft position.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Ehud posted:

Former #1 recruit in the country Ronald Powell has declared for the draft. Doesn't seem like a great idea, but hey. He played really well for like half a year, tore his ACL in 2012, and played okay this year.

I guess I don't blame him because of the injury history, but man, he could come back for his senior year and greatly improve his draft position.

If he's already recovered from one ACL injury, then I can understand his desire to turn pro while he's healthy. Not sure where's he projected to go in the draft, but I guess the risk of playing in college and getting hurt again wasn't worth it for him.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is staying at Oregon for his senior year.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Storm Johnson is also declaring for some reason. His ceiling is maybe a 4th rounder? Probably not a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Quiet Feet posted:

Justin Gilbert's (Ok St) a big-play guy that doubles as a return man.
Louichez Purifoy (UF) is kind of a joker that could play at corner or safety but after watching him play I feel like he's a better fit for safety.
Marcus Roberson (UF) is looked just OK this year, but it's hard to tell how much of that was the fact that UF's defense fell apart due to injuries.
Darqueze Dennard (Mich St) is AWESOME in man coverage, but it would take a miracle to have him fall far enough for you to get him.

• Locked thread