Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
DJ Fuckmaster Flex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mister Speaker posted:

The 2000s can act as controllers for both Traktor and Serato... as far as I know. If you've got a Mac, I'm pretty sure they can also be set up as an aggregate audio device, as in, as soundcards. I'm not familiar with Serato but with Traktor this + their controller functionality should allow you to bring your laptop and use the gear exactly as you normally do, no? Just bring a couple of USB cables and your laptop and you're set.

I know 2000s can act as controllers but I don't own them sadly which means my practice time would be hampered somewhat. I just wanted to know if the SX was the controller equivalent so I could learn all the tricks in the comfort of my own home due to my own setup being super basic.

Thank you.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
"MC Escher" is pretty much the best ironic DJ name, although you might have to clear it with Weird Al before using it.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Why not just add something like the Novation dicers and use your CDJs along with those to control Serato or Traktor?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

88h88 posted:

I know 2000s can act as controllers but I don't own them sadly which means my practice time would be hampered somewhat. I just wanted to know if the SX was the controller equivalent so I could learn all the tricks in the comfort of my own home due to my own setup being super basic.

Thank you.

Ehhhh, the DDJ-SX isn't really anything like any of the CDJs. It's a software controller only so you can't use the jogwheels, cue points, etc without your laptop. It also feels nothing like using an actual CDJ. Feature wise, the closest, cheapest alternative to the CDJ2000s would probably be the CDJ900s, which is hilarious because they're not that cheap.

If you just want to get more comfortable with using CDJs, see if you can find a pair of CDJ400s or CDJ800s (maybe the 850s) and a cheap rear end mixer. Once you get used to the jogwheels on those, you'll be able to use any CDJ since they all work and feel the exact same.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheWevel posted:

Ehhhh, the DDJ-SX isn't really anything like any of the CDJs. It's a software controller only so you can't use the jogwheels, cue points, etc without your laptop. It also feels nothing like using an actual CDJ. Feature wise, the closest, cheapest alternative to the CDJ2000s would probably be the CDJ900s, which is hilarious because they're not that cheap.

If you just want to get more comfortable with using CDJs, see if you can find a pair of CDJ400s or CDJ800s (maybe the 850s) and a cheap rear end mixer. Once you get used to the jogwheels on those, you'll be able to use any CDJ since they all work and feel the exact same.

I have a pair of 350s at the moment, they're just lacking the featureset of the 2000s so I'm thinking instead of putting down the quite frankly insane amount of cash to get a full set of those I should go the controller route and sell off the 350 setup. The feel of the 350s is so massively different from the 2000s I don't see a problem going from controller to 2000s on occasion, it's not like I've struggled with them before now.

All I was really wanting to know about was the functionality and whether or not the DDJ was missing anything important.

*edit: gently caress it, bought one. And now we wait to see if it's any good. :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 19, 2013

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Traktor DJ just dropped the price to $10 - I would really suggest you get this if you have an ipad. It replaces about 80% of DJ equipment and has all sorts of extra functionalities you can't do with a non-touchscreen interface.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Be Depressive posted:

Traktor DJ just dropped the price to $10 - I would really suggest you get this if you have an ipad. It replaces about 80% of DJ equipment and has all sorts of extra functionalities you can't do with a non-touchscreen interface.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who has an iPad; While I would choose my DJ controller over the app any day it's still quite functional and a lot of fun to play with.

edit: the drum machine functionality is probably the best thing about this app

roboshit fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 22, 2013

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Yeah, I basically use it like a sampler, only I don't have to program any samples. I almost never play one song at a time anymore, as soon as a crossfade ends I've got another track loaded and am drumming away adding claps or whatever from the opening bars of the next song. I think if I were a "techno" dj and mostly did really long blends it would get boring, but I try to play across multiple genres in one set and it let's me get away with a lot of things that would be very difficult to do on any other interface or application.

I just wish they made a bigger ipad now..

Lately I have this gig where they are paying me $100 a night 7 days a week so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an interface for the ipad app next week. The guys at the bar were impressed and bought the app and last night I was playing off two ipads at the same time, using one to drop samples and the other for backing beats. This gig has been a godsend as I got drunk and left my ipad 4 in a taxi around thanksgiving, managed to get myself a new air with 6 days' wages while playing out on my wife's ipad 2. I know playing off an ipad looks cheesy but I have a soundboard and maschine so I'm always fiddling with those as well.

Anyway, how many songs do you all keep in your library?

When I played records it was about half a crate per hour, as I had to carry all my poo poo to the gig, but I currently have about 1800 songs in my library, down from about 3000 a month ago. I am aiming for 1500 as a good number.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
So what did everyone get for Christmas/Hannukah? As a present to myself I ordered a Vestax VCI-380 yesterday...B&H had it for $399 and I couldn't pass it up. I previously had a Numark NS6 but it was too huge and Serato Itch sucked. I've used Serato DJ enough lately and it's a lot better so I thought I'd get back in the controller game. I'll find out Monday if that was a good or bad idea.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I went full retard and ordered myself a DDJ-SX and a nice I-7 laptop to go with it. I'm selling my CDJ-350s/DJM-250 to partially fund it all. The SX arrived a week ago but the laptop is still a few days out so I went to see my parents and basically take over their PC to give the SX a test with Serato. I have to say on first impressions Serato seems a little convoluted in comparison to the idiotically easy Rekordbox that I've been using for the past 2 years but then I guess Rekordbox is simply a holding station for files rather than an actual DJ programme.

It'll be nice to get it all set up properly and throw some music through it to see what it all does. Does anyone have any tips for using Serato well? I may as well start using it the right way.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

This doesn't apply to strictly Serato, but if you're going to use the sync button then make sure your beat grids are on point.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

88h88 posted:

I may as well start using it the right way.

Set cue points on all of your music. Don't use iTunes to manage your music even though there's iTunes integration in Serato DJ. They have been known to release updates that break it so it's better to just not use it.

ANALYZE ALL OF YOUR SONGS: http://dj.rane.com/support/knowledge-base/preparing-and-analyzing-your-files
That's for Scratch Live but the process is the exact same for Serato DJ.

Really, that's all the major stuff.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

TheWevel posted:

Set cue points on all of your music. Don't use iTunes to manage your music even though there's iTunes integration in Serato DJ. They have been known to release updates that break it so it's better to just not use it.

Wait what? I use iTunes to manage my music and I've never seen an update break poo poo.

keevo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 29, 2013

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

keevo posted:

Wait what? I use iTunes to manage my music and I've never seen an update break poo poo.

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/508241

That's from 2011 but their stance hasn't changed. Chad from Rane support gives a pretty good explanation. Serato has released updates that have broken integration and there have been iTunes updates that have broken it as well.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's not so hard to look at waveforms and know where the beats are, though - 99% of music is either recorded to click tracks to straight up constructed on a grid these days. I remember when you had to look at the depth of the grooves on the vinyl record to know where the beat drops out. I've had a lot of issues with traktor dropping my cue points due to iTunes updates but it's made me a better dj.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

TheWevel posted:

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/508241

That's from 2011 but their stance hasn't changed. Chad from Rane support gives a pretty good explanation. Serato has released updates that have broken integration and there have been iTunes updates that have broken it as well.

I've been using iTunes with Serato since 2010 and I've seriously never had that problem before.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I just bought a fog machine and am buying a subwoofer this coming week. Renting for my NYE gig.

"Man, you must have a ball! You make so much money playing music, right?"

Dude, I am barely funding the gear costs with gigs. The only 100% profitable part of playing music for money (still have my day job) is that bars tend not to charge me for drinks when I play there regularly.

Still love it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I dunno, right now I'm making $100 a night playing 2 hours 7 days a week.. In China.

In the US djs have essentially become commoditized by new technology but there's still avenues for making money. If you know what you're doing and have a depth of knowledge and experience there's still a market for your skills - it just might not be in the place where you happen to live.

But don't let anyone tell you there's no way of making money off of music or performance. It might be difficult, yes, but most people do this sort of thing just to be cool and don't think like businessmen.

All of this happened for me very quickly, though, first I was just the backing dj for a bunch of rappers coming through town and now I'm sort of locally famous. In a city of 4 million people.

But I come from a college town where you could throw a brick with your eyes closed and hit a dj or singer/guitarist. It's pretty much impossible to get anything going there other than $100 a night weekly gigs that peter out over time.

The best way to approach the business is to think of yourself as an alcohol salesman, really.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

bad day posted:

But don't let anyone tell you there's no way of making money off of music or performance. It might be difficult, yes, but most people do this sort of thing just to be cool and don't think like businessmen.

Don't get me wrong - that was mostly sarcasm and whining about how I keep buying equipment in my last post. Right now I am in the middle of a 10 day burn of gigging every night outside of my day job. It's fun and I am losing track of the days. If I'm not packing up or moving gear for one gig, it's because I am busy printing posters and hanging them for the next. I am definitely doing okay and very happy that music supports itself.

My rule of thumb? I don't leave the house for less than $150.00. Depending on the gig things vary wildly from there.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Brock Velocity posted:

Part of me feels like it's a waste of an opportunity to go with your real name and that people who do that aren't being very creative, but really I'm just bitter that I don't have a particularly catchy or appealing real name. If I did, I'd totally use it.

Marcel Dettmann isn't really a catchy name, neither is Peter Van Hoesen, or really any techno DJs name. Jeff Mills may be an exception obviously, along with Derrick May and Carl Craig. Idk, I like real names.

Be Depressive posted:

I think DJ DJ Booth is the best name I've ever heard.

no no no no no.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So last night I used my friend's 2000s/djm800 as usual for a party as I've done so for the last year, and they're really nice bits of kit.

Today I finally get Win7 on my laptop and get Serato DJ running and within minutes I feel far more comfortable playing with the DDJ SX than I ever did with the above setup. Works really well for me. <3

Obligatory lovely cell phone pic...

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Don't get me wrong - that was mostly sarcasm and whining about how I keep buying equipment in my last post. Right now I am in the middle of a 10 day burn of gigging every night outside of my day job. It's fun and I am losing track of the days. If I'm not packing up or moving gear for one gig, it's because I am busy printing posters and hanging them for the next. I am definitely doing okay and very happy that music supports itself.

My rule of thumb? I don't leave the house for less than $150.00. Depending on the gig things vary wildly from there.

Thats my minimum too. I feel like its fair because, well, i would do just about anything for $50 an hour.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I try to factor in stuff like moving equipment - I live in a big city with no car so I prefer to not bring along more than I can fit in a backpack. Which means iPad/traktor z1/laptop/maschine/headphones/various cables is about the upper limit of what I'm willing to haul around. Back in Florida I'd be loading up a loving coffin and crates of records with a PA, stands, and bigass subwoofer - I'll be damned if I ever do that again for less than $200.

I know some people are kind of down on the new technology (not a real dj unless you spin vinyl, etc) but seriously all that crap was a massive pain in the rear end.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Library management. Can someone give me some tips? I thought I had it together, but its all slowly coming unorganized. I use two computers (desktop, laptop) and am having a hard time keeping both of my libraries together.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I take some time every day to delete music from my library - if I don't think I will actually play a song in a dj set I delete it, even if I like the song. It's pretty much a constant thing, but if I take some time to delete tracks every time I add music to my library it cuts down on in-the-moment confusion when playing out. I just don't have headspace to remember every song on an album and whether or not I like it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
NYE came and went - place was absolutely jammed. My poor Ableton setup crashed twice during the evening and in the madness that was setup I neglected to have an iPod on another channel. Nobody seemed to care - during the bad crash where there was no music for about a minute I was dreading the "you hosed up!" chant but instead someone started chanting "U S A!" so the crisis was averted.

Huge DJ booth/stage area so some of my female coworkers took up residence to dance. I liked it: made me look better and the people on stage were all people I knew so I wasn't worried. At the very end of the night some kid got behind my rig when I wasn't looking and killed the music by throwing all of my effects on. One of my mates dragged that dude away while the audience gave him poo poo.

Overall a success that I learned loads from. This was my first time not having an iPod rolling as backup and I suffered the consequences as a result - never again. I also learned I need to rebuild my Ableton setup from scratch which will be a good thing. I learned that Party Up by DMX makes people go loving nuts and that NYE is all about anthems. Thanks again everyone for all the help. Oh - and get a fog machine, they are fun and don't cost much money at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm trying to configure my Traktor S2 so that the music comes out of my laptop speakers, but when I cue it comes thru in my headphones which are plugged into the "PHONES" port on the S2. Problem is, when picking the audio device I can get one or the other to happen but not both. Does anyone have any advice or help here?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Are you on a Mac? On a Mac you can create an aggregate device using the AudioMIDI Setup app which has two outputs, one to your internal sound card and one to the cue output on your S2. Then you just have to select the aggregate device for output from Traktor.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a weird issue with the Sync function in Traktor (I know... I'm really just using it to test transitions at home). It seems to like turning itself off randomly on my timecode vinyl decks, and I don't have the box checked in Preferences to 'reset all deck controls when loading song'. Is there another box I'm missing, or does this have something to do with Absolute mode?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
A friend recommended me to DJ at his brother's wedding. I've never DJ'd a wedding before, but it's low expectations (already talked to groom and bride) and they're offering me $500... so I've taken the offer to see how it goes, and perhaps make it the first of many, since I understand that DJing weddings is a good little side gig business wise, even if it's selling my soul for a night.
Anyway, I have a need for "classic" wedding music, and I'd like to go about it legitimately. Can anyone point me to some sort of package of a few hours worth of traditional songs played at weddings? I'm guessing it'll mostly be pop, rock ballads and the like... For example, the bride's entrance song is "Don't wanna miss a thing" by Aerosmith, or as she said it: that song from Armageddon.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Alfajor posted:

A friend recommended me to DJ at his brother's wedding. I've never DJ'd a wedding before, but it's low expectations (already talked to groom and bride) and they're offering me $500... so I've taken the offer to see how it goes, and perhaps make it the first of many, since I understand that DJing weddings is a good little side gig business wise, even if it's selling my soul for a night.
Anyway, I have a need for "classic" wedding music, and I'd like to go about it legitimately. Can anyone point me to some sort of package of a few hours worth of traditional songs played at weddings? I'm guessing it'll mostly be pop, rock ballads and the like... For example, the bride's entrance song is "Don't wanna miss a thing" by Aerosmith, or as she said it: that song from Armageddon.

Don't ask us. Use this:

http://www.archermusic.com/DJ%20questionaire%20for%20Wedding%20Receptions2.pdf

Make sure you have a schedule with times of your announcements, as well. Ask if they are working with a coordinator - if they aren't, you'll need to be stringent on logistics.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you don't have "Single Ladies" you'll be fired and replaced by a cell phone immediately before the bouquet toss.

Basically have as much of the billboard top 100 for the last 40 years as you can get your hands on.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm having a weird issue with the Sync function in Traktor (I know... I'm really just using it to test transitions at home). It seems to like turning itself off randomly on my timecode vinyl decks, and I don't have the box checked in Preferences to 'reset all deck controls when loading song'. Is there another box I'm missing, or does this have something to do with Absolute mode?

Why are you bothering with timecode if you're using sync?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm setting up a three-deck mix at home and it's easier to have the feature on to test out transitions and overlaps while I'm setting up the playlist.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

19 o'clock posted:

NYE came and went - place was absolutely jammed. My poor Ableton setup crashed twice during the evening and in the madness that was setup I neglected to have an iPod on another channel. Nobody seemed to care - during the bad crash where there was no music for about a minute I was dreading the "you hosed up!" chant but instead someone started chanting "U S A!" so the crisis was averted.

What's your Ableton setup like? Do you have a lot of crazy effects in your live set or a lot of other crap on your laptop? I'm trying to put together an Ableton setup and this is one of my biggest fears.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Lump Shaker posted:

What's your Ableton setup like? Do you have a lot of crazy effects in your live set or a lot of other crap on your laptop? I'm trying to put together an Ableton setup and this is one of my biggest fears.

Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I run a pretty intense live rig and haven't had a crash ever.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

dj bobby bieber posted:

Don't ask us. Use this:

http://www.archermusic.com/DJ%20questionaire%20for%20Wedding%20Receptions2.pdf

Make sure you have a schedule with times of your announcements, as well. Ask if they are working with a coordinator - if they aren't, you'll need to be stringent on logistics.

I did something like this for my own wedding, and I intended on doing something similar. Thanks for giving me a cool version to base my own off. Just kidding, copy/paste, here we go!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

Ableton crashes a lot. Its just a fact of life. Maybe like 1/25 risk of crash. I've used it for a really long time and many computers and it just crashes more than doing software. Last time I used it live it crashed actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Ordered my Traktor Kontrol z1 mk2 for my iPad setup today... Will post my impressions when I get to play with it next week. Wanted an S2 mk2 but it seems kinda big... I'm trying to convince the bar I work at to buy one for general use.