Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone ever try the umai dry bags for aging charcuterie? Ran across them online the other day and they look interesting for us who don't have basements or aging cellars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Tweek posted:

The extra two month ('til Groundhog's Day) would be just because that's when I have a dinner party planed. Leaving them hanging is just laziness, though judging by the panccetta I had two nights ago, I'll probably take it all down soon.

I don't have any experience with cased sausages yet; everything I have hanging it whole muscle, if it makes a difference.

I meant whole muscle or salami, "salumi" encompasses both. Post some photos when you take em down please.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't know if this has been shared in here, but this is seriously one of my favorite food blogs http://frombellytobacon.com/

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I took down my big Tuscan-style salami

A little too salty, I'll have to reduce the salt next time. Otherwise delicious. The only thing I have hanging now is another pancetta tesa, but I flavored it like American bacon this time. Maple syrup, brown sugar, black pepper. It should be ready in another week or so.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Who cares if it's too salty? Flavor some potatoes with that poo poo.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Duh, I already been doing that. Gonna put it on pizza a lot too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Started more charcuterie curing today:

Belly three ways. Bacon in the style of Benton's. A belly cured with DQ #2 destined for heavy cold smoke and a long aging, so like, a country ham, but belly instead of ham, or a heavy smoked pancetta, however you want to think of it. And some belly for confit with cinnamon, allspice, clove, bay, and thyme.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

GrAviTy84 posted:

A belly cured with DQ #2 destined for heavy cold smoke and a long aging, so like, a country ham, but belly instead of ham, or a heavy smoked pancetta, however you want to think of it.

How did you flavor it? Kinda sounds like mine except for the smoking.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Martello posted:

How did you flavor it? Kinda sounds like mine except for the smoking.

in the style of benton's ham, too. so just salt, brown sugar, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Martello posted:

Post some photos when you take em down please.

Yeah, a'ight.

I did a li'l Belly:

a li'l Lamb:

One of my Lambs was a little wet in the middle, but one came out simply perfect, if a touch on the dry side:

I had some Beef Loin come out simply beautifully:

I also had some pork loin I did not snap a separate picture of.
Everything together:

I served some of it tonight on slab I had with some olives, dates, supremes, crostini, a kale pesto with avocado oil, English Cheddar, and a blue Brie that is simply divine:

Also apples.

I would have sliced and packaged them all tonight, but I really need to take a stone to my slicer.

This was a first try. There were some definite missteps, but some genuine successes.

Thinks I have learned about curing meat:

Molasseses: Good. Garlic: Very Good. Smoking: Good. Wrapping large muscles in cheesecloth: Good

Also, I think I might bump the sugar in my cure ratio up slightly.
I am super excited for the next batch, which now that I have a food saver will be even easier.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
drat son.

I'll post some photos of my belly and my sliced salami later today.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

My kingdom for a slicer.

All I have is my long slicer knife and a hand-crank deli slicer from the 50s.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I made some new bacon hooks.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Tweek posted:

My kingdom for a slicer.

All I have is my long slicer knife and a hand-crank deli slicer from the 50s.

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbZPOx4-iM

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Thanks to this thread I have my first batch of bacon curing in the fridge. I'll be roasting them in the oven,and I am thinking about a way to add some smoke without a smoker.

Perhaps I could add some wood chips to the bottom of my largest dutch oven and set the bacon on a rack above. I would add the thermometer probe, put the lid on and seal the joint with a flour/salt dough. The thinking being that it would seal well enough to avoid filling my house with smoke...

Does this make any kind of sense, or is it even worth trying to add smoke?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I dont think it's a good idea to put wood into your oven. Do you any type of grill? Propane, NG, charcoal? You dont necessarily need a smoker to smoke something. Smokers are just better at it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Stick to liquid smoke for indoor cooking

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Stick to liquid smoke for indoor cooking

So you're saying don't cook indoors?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tweek posted:

So you're saying don't cook indoors?

I'm not following...

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm not following...

Never use liquid smoke.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tweek posted:

Never use liquid smoke.

Why not? It's smoke particulate, in liquid form.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Tweek posted:

Never use liquid smoke.

Nothing inherently wrong with Liquid Smoke in my opinion. You should check out how it's made - it's a pretty neat process.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

yes posted:

Nothing inherently wrong with Liquid Smoke in my opinion. You should check out how it's made - it's a pretty neat process.

Is it anything like how we used to blow weed smoke into a balloon and then stick it in the freezer?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Tweek posted:

Is it anything like how we used to blow weed smoke into a balloon and then stick it in the freezer?

Uhhh what? Do you just get THC suspended in spit-crystals or something?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Uhhh what? Do you just get THC suspended in spit-crystals or something?

In theory, it was supposed to cause the smoke to condense inside the balloon into a drinkable liquid.

I never actually tried it myself, so I am unsure of the supposed science behind it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Made canadian bacon

3 day brine, 4 hour hot smoke.

pork tenderloin lonza

It's drying on the outside a little too fast, but I think it'll equalize in a few more days.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's drying on the outside a little too fast, but I think it'll equalize in a few more days.

Cheese cloth is the difference between hard and chewy. What's your humidity at?

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I finally get to show off in this thread. Pancetta, cured for a week in the bag, and then left to dry in my closet. I just moved, and have broken hips so my girlfriends did most of the heavy lifting. So thrilled when one packed up the pancetta, thinking it was a dog toy for my lost dog. High fat, but I am sure we can use it. Any suggestions for it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Featured Creature posted:

Any suggestions for it?

Cut it half an inch thick, griddle it, and top it with arrabiata sauce and blanched carrots. Put it on a bed of wilted kale.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tweek posted:

Cheese cloth is the difference between hard and chewy. What's your humidity at?

Just got it hanging in my closet, would guess 30ish % humidity. Got a heavier wrap on the cheesecloth to compensate.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

You want it between 60% and 70% humidity. If the outside dries out too quickly, it will form a shell that will keep internal moisture from escaping and it will be wet on the inside like this:

Go and buy a cheap hygrometer to test out your humidity. If it's too low, either use a humidifier or a bowl filled first with salt and then water.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently I am terrible at guessing humidity, and it's 62% humidity in my closet. Did the salt water anyways, should be another 2 weeks on the lonza.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tweek posted:

Never use liquid smoke.

True story my mom was a lab tech at a company that helped discover/commercialize liquid smoke.
She can't even talk about it to this day without gagging.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Big Beef City posted:

True story my mom was a lab tech at a company that helped discover/commercialize liquid smoke.
She can't even talk about it to this day without gagging.

Why does it make her gag?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Because she made/processed/and tasted that poo poo on the reg.
She came home reeking of the stuff almost every day. She kinda got sick of it, you know?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You certainly lead an interesting life. Is having multiple girlfriends what led to your broken hips??

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

The Midniter posted:

You certainly lead an interesting life. Is having multiple girlfriends what led to your broken hips??

Ha, very early arthritis in my hips, and girlfriends is a misnomer. I am used to referring to my actual girlfriend and our best friend as my girls. The best friend is basically one that has a key, stays here often because we all watch movies, play Cards Against Humanity, video games, and just hang out and drink together and we don't want her driving. Nothing sordid going on with her. Before my current one and I got together, my then girlfriend miscarried what would have been my first child, we parted ways, and this girl didn't ask if I needed help moving. She just went to my car, grabbed a bunch of stuff and carried it in. She and my girlfriend now should hate each other. She was the one that was used to cheat on my current gf by my old roommate (and how we met actually), though without her knowledge. But it all worked out for the best. Its a kind of weird tale.

But enough about my personal life. I got 3 more pork bellies, one is curing for bacon, and two are pancetta. I used smoked salt in the pancetta, lots of garlic and tarragon in the bacon.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I can't even follow any of that, I think that's why I can't watch MTV shows or anything.
Can you tell us more about the pork, perchance? No other seasonings, just that? What's your cure time? Have you hosed pork before?

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Sorry, its kind of drawn out and stupid. I really lead a boring life.

The pork, yes I used the basic bacon cure in the OP, just added a bunch of fresh tarragon. It was curing salt, salt, sugar, bay leaf, garlic, a bit of thyme, and the tarragon. It will cure for 7 days in the fridge, get smoked, and sliced. The pancetta was also the recipe from earlier in the thread. I just used a bit of smoked salt in the cure, and it will be hanging around for a long while until it reduces its weight and hardens. I am planning on curing that for 7 days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You should call your GF "Main GF" and hang out with some people here and talk about weird female constellations.

• Locked thread