Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The Spirits Within Part 2 (starring Lightning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kind of makes me wonder why Bravely Default and its forthcoming sequel(s?) aren't Final Fantasy-branded. Probably not hip enough.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe someone at SE woke up one morning and realized that branding absolutely everything with Final Fantasy does more harm than good in the long run.

But I doubt it.

EDIT: If any of you are wondering why the FFXHD port seems a bit less than stellar, well here you go:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/06/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-made-virtuos/#VYZ9wTZTcpeCyoHz.99

quote:

When Siliconera spoke to Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase he said Square Enix partnered with an outside developer to create Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster. The company that handled the enhanced port was Virtuos, a Shanghai studio that worked on a couple of Ben 10 Ultimate Alien games and Wii ports of 2K sports games. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster was the studio’s biggest project to date.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Kind of makes me wonder why Bravely Default and its forthcoming sequel(s?) aren't Final Fantasy-branded. Probably not hip enough.

To give a clever answer, "it's not an FF game."

To give a more actual answer, they've said they've wanted Bravely Default and its sequel(s) to be its own thing.

quote:

“As we did previously, and for the sake of Japanese RPG fans, we’re developing with the goal to create a new pillar of support for Square Enix, while surpassing the previous title."
Source.

As someone who's currently trying to deal with the myriad of superbosses in BD, I'm definitely hyped for the next game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Final Fantasy in general has kinda been an albatross around S-E's neck this last generation- the absurd development costs of 13 and Crystal Tools, on top of the necessity of moving manpower to an All Hands on Deck fix to 14 has pretty much choked off a lot of life from Square-Enix this last generation. How hopefully with Crystal Tools done and available and 14 being a solid game now (if probably never going to be worth the amount of money and lost opportunities Square had to deal with to get it to it's current point) Square-Enix can just get back to making games instead of missing most of a generation choking on hubris and folly.

Of course, it wouldn't be Square if they didn't find some new disastrous way to nearly ruin the company now that they're getting back out into the clear. I wonder what they'll do in five-six years time to put themselves right back into the same spot yet again.

This is a really good summation, although with one possible mistake. Apparently the Crystal Tools engine is terrible, which is why it was only used for the FFXIII trilogy, the original version of FFXIV, and surprisingly Dragon Quest X. Poor engine design also caused a lot of problems for Metal Gear Solid 4, which required six months of testing, and resulted in an engine that was so duct-taped together for this one game that they couldn't use it for any later ones, such as the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising. Platinum used their own engine from Bayonetta and Vanquish, although they would have done so anyway even if Konami did have a working engine. Crystal Tools struggles with having many characters on-screen at once, which is why an entirely new engine was created for XIV: A Realm Reborn, especially since they would never have managed to get the original, poorly optimised game running on the PS3.

Square Enix has been working on the Luminous Engine for several years now, with the intention of it being fully supported by next-gen consoles, while the PS3 game Final Fantasy Versus XIII just using it for lighting. However, they now want Final Fantasy XV on the PS4 to use the entire, completed engine, and until it's finished then the game will be far from complete. A lot of studios are producing new engines for this generation, including Capcom's Phanta Rhei engine for Deep Down, Unreal Engine 4, id Tech 5 for The Evil Within, and Konami's Fox Engine for Pro Evolution Soccer and Metal Gear Solid V, but SE looks like they're going to be the last to launch a finished game with it. Although Naughty Dog created a brand new engine when they started PS3 development, and proceeded to use and refine it for the three Uncharted games and The Last of Us, they are going to continue to use it into the next generation.

Pureauthor posted:

If any of you are wondering why the FFXHD port seems a bit less than stellar, well here you go:

They originally said that it was going to be ported in the Crystal Tools engine, and now after so many years it turns out to have been outsourced. Currently the best porting developer is Bluepoint, who just finished porting FlOw and Flower to the PS4 and Vita, and their past experience shows that they're brilliant at porting PS2 games to the PS3, and porting PS3 games to the Vita. It's a shame that MGS on the Vita was handled by a different developer, because I'm sure Bluepoint could have got MGS2 running at a stable 60 fps like the original PS2 version.

Lazy HD ports don't do your franchise any favours. Silent Hill 2 and 3 was a mess, although at least Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner got a patch on the PS3, that practically rewrote the entire game's code with a competent port by a different developer. Thank God they went with Bluepoint for the MGS collection. FFX|X-2 being outsourced to an inexperienced developer explains the increased number of loading screens and the lack of cutscene skipping, at least.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 6, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hang this in the goddamn Louvre. It's beautiful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have Tidus' severed head do the HA HA HA HA HA scene and we could finally shut the internet down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Look at the acronym for Bravely Default's Japanese name (Flying Fairy.)

It turns out to produce the best Final Fantasy game in years all Square had to do was give it a new name and not let any of the old devs near it save a character artist.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I'm so glad that this exists.

Hellioning posted:

Of course, this is Square. There's probably gonna be 10-3 and Lightning will be an optional superboss.

Lightning will be the new Sin. She will also be the one who will save the world and defeat Sin.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Someone earlier posted it took longer for Square-Enix to release the HD remaster for Final Fantasy X/X-2 than it took to develop 10 the first time around. Is that actually true? I mean, I get they remastered both X and its sequel, but still.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Someone earlier posted it took longer for Square-Enix to release the HD remaster for Final Fantasy X/X-2 than it took to develop 10 the first time around. Is that actually true? I mean, I get they remastered both X and its sequel, but still.

I think it took longer because the port was outsourced to an inexperienced developer. Probably would've taken as long if SE had handled it themselves, though.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Veks posted:

Probably would've taken as long if SE had handled it themselves, though.

Counterpoint: Kingdom Hearts I.5 HD (I think).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

FFX|X-2 being outsourced to an inexperienced developer explains the increased number of loading screens and the lack of cutscene skipping, at least.

Is this true? Goddamn it this makes me wonder if I even want to get it, international version be damned.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Also there's a big difference between time and manhours. I'm not totally sure, but I'm going to assume that the original development of X had way more people working on the game than whatever studio handled the HD upgrade. It's why studios like doing them, because they're way cheaper than producing a new game and they can sell them at higher prices than digital downloads of the original game without changes.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

morallyobjected posted:

Is this true? Goddamn it this makes me wonder if I even want to get it, international version be damned.

Yeah, I have it preordered from Newegg because they offered a discount, but I haven't been following it much... is this even going to be a good game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Yes, this is true. Other than running worse there are no new features to the game because the original one didn't have cutscene skip. Or you know, a sphere grid where Kimhari isn't completely useless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, I have it preordered from Newegg because they offered a discount, but I haven't been following it much... is this even going to be a good game?

From everything we've heard, the biggest problem is no cutscene skip in X, I can deal with loading screens depending on when they are, but I cannot deal with long rear end cutscenes of a game I've played through like three times already. ...I'd totally do it for X-2 though, game owns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Look at the acronym for Bravely Default's Japanese name (Flying Fairy.)

It turns out to produce the best Final Fantasy game in years all Square had to do was give it a new name and not let any of the old devs near it save a character artist.

Considering that Square-Enix's MO for the past 10+ years has been "people will buy it because it's Final Fantasy", this is kind of unsurprising.

abagofcheetos posted:

Looks like the only thing that's changed is the upscaled graphics, which other than the faces don't seem to be that much better than playing the old version on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2014

toast288
Nov 30, 2012
But I think people would buy the FF name, even after swallowing down a few games they may have enjoyed less.

I'd say Bravely Default is not a Final Fantasy game because of the reason they said, it's a new series they want to branch out. Also, it's a 3DS game, and if they made it a FF spinoff and wanted sequeles, it'd be awkward. I'm still waiting for Mystic Quest 2: Phoebe's Quest to come out.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Either way, I like that Bravely Default is its own brand. Maybe it's just because it's a stellar Squeenix rpg that has no relations to the current mess Final Fantasy is in. And it's the start if a new franchise that I can hop into with out worrying about which of the several dozen titles I have to start with.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

toast288 posted:

But I think people would buy the FF name, even after swallowing down a few games they may have enjoyed less.

I'd say Bravely Default is not a Final Fantasy game because of the reason they said, it's a new series they want to branch out. Also, it's a 3DS game, and if they made it a FF spinoff and wanted sequeles, it'd be awkward. I'm still waiting for Mystic Quest 2: Phoebe's Quest to come out.

Have fun waiting for never, because there's no way SE loves me enough to revisit that particular chapter of my childhood. And by "me" I of course mean the several thousand people who actually played Mystic Quest back in the day. We sure were dumb back then, even if the music in that game was incredible.

And poo poo, I know the Remaster doesn't look as incredible as perhaps it should, but I was at least hoping for a more streamlined experience to balance it out. Increased load times might be a deal breaker for me when they're coming in on a game I already own.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Veks posted:

I think it took longer because the port was outsourced to an inexperienced developer. Probably would've taken as long if SE had handled it themselves, though.

Yes, it would probably have still been difficult if it had been done in-house. One of the reasons KH 1.5 took so long was because they lost most of the assets for the original game. It's not too unusual for game companies to lose code and content due to mergers, buyouts, or simply moving to a new building.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Systematic System posted:

The Spirits Within Part 2 (starring Lightning).

Can James Woods be in this one too? Or do they have to blow their money on another kinda big time actor?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sunning posted:

Yes, it would probably have still been difficult if it had been done in-house. One of the reasons KH 1.5 took so long was because they lost most of the assets for the original game. It's not too unusual for game companies to lose code and content due to mergers, buyouts, or simply moving to a new building.

That was all new code? That's loving sick, the games look so good for being ports of PS2 games (Especially 1 which was an early PS2 title)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

From everything we've heard, the biggest problem is no cutscene skip in X, I can deal with loading screens depending on when they are, but I cannot deal with long rear end cutscenes of a game I've played through like three times already. ...I'd totally do it for X-2 though, game owns.

Fister Roboto posted:

Looks like the only thing that's changed is the upscaled graphics, which other than the faces don't seem to be that much better than playing the old version on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.
Hmm, these don't seem like too bad of problems. I haven't played FFX in at least 6 or 7 years, so I am going to watch the cutscenes anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Hmm, these don't seem like too bad of problems. I haven't played FFX in at least 6 or 7 years, so I am going to watch the cutscenes anyway.

Not all the international changes are so great although its fairly minor like the gently caress-You superboss that takes up residence guarding Tidus's crest for his ultimate weapon if you don't snag it immediately after whupping Yunalesca's rear end.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

The game runs beautifully in PCSX2, and the Japanese International version lets you play the entire game in English, with English voice acting. The PAL version is also the International version, but since Square has always been lazy with PAL conversions, it runs at 5/6th the normal speed.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That was all new code? That's loving sick, the games look so good for being ports of PS2 games (Especially 1 which was an early PS2 title)

It looked almost exactly the same as when I played it in PCSX2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seriously, I would have bought the remake if it had included scene skipping. I love the gameplay but I've already seen the story. I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, I would have bought the remake if it had included scene skipping. I love the gameplay but I've already seen the story. I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea.

Pretty much. I went from "I'll definitely buy this remake" to "I can not stomach the idea of sitting through any of the pre-Seymour fight cutscenes ever again unless I know I can skip it the second time if I screw up."

Edit: Seriously, screw you Seymour 1. You were bullshit.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

You can pause/skip them in X-2 HD though, right? I'm not going to play FFX anyway, so I am okay with this.

Not that I plan on skipping the X-2 cutscenes, since I haven't seen them before, but being able to pause them would be nice.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sex_Ferguson posted:

quote:

It appears creating Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix has been significantly more laborious than it needed to be, as the original assets for the game were lost some time ago.

That's according to the title's director Tetsuya Nomura, who made the revelation during a Square Enix-created E3 video discussing the project, as well as Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV.

"Kingdom Hearts 1 was created a long, long time ago, so actually the original data was missing already," he explained. "It was lost, so we had to research, and we had to dig out from the actual game what was available and recreate everything for HD. We had to recreate all the graphics and it was actually not that easy."

So instead of being able to work off the original master assets that were created, the company had to recreate pretty much everything from scratch again. There's a lot more in the video about the process of recreating the game, as well as other titles Square Enix has in development.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/27/original-kingdom-hearts-assets-lost

While it's not too hard to work off a commercial copy (intercept the data during rendering and use that as a base), having the original assets would save so much time during development. For some reason, I get the impression from interviews that losing the original assets was a good thing. It gave SE Osaka valuable experience with HD development. Lemonade out lemons I guess.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Final Fantasy X HD and International are basically the same if you have a good computer to emulate International and upscale it. However, X-2 International + Last Mission wasn't translated to English before, so the HD version is your best shot to play it in English (there's a fair amount of new "story" in the Last Mission part of it). So if you care about X-2, get the HD version, if you don't, no real reason to buy it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

At this point, I'm perfectly happy to keep my pre-order for FFX HD, partially because of the new International poo poo (seeing as I can't hope to run PCSX2 on this machine), but mostly because doing the tedious postgame poo poo on a portable sounds infinitely more bearable. A few minutes every now and again catching monsters or farming coliseum monsters for AP is far less tedious than plopping down and going for a marathon session that takes up my entire entertainment center.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sunning posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/27/original-kingdom-hearts-assets-lost

While it's not too hard to work off a commercial copy (intercept the data during rendering and use that as a base), having the original assets would save so much time during development. For some reason, I get the impression from interviews that losing the original assets was a good thing. It gave SE Osaka valuable experience with HD development. Lemonade out lemons I guess.

Good on those dudes, I'm sure it was hard as hell, but they did a great job with that HD Version, here's hoping 2.5 will be just as good.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Argh, this pessimism has me on the fence again, considering I could indeed just emulate the drat game. Part of my hesitation is also that I sort of never want to give Square another Final Fantasy-related penny after FFXIII, I hate it that much.

(FFXII HD would put me over the edge though, if they put real effort in to it, not going to lie)

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 6, 2014

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
What's the source for the load times thing?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

abagofcheetos posted:

(FFXII HD would put me over the edge though, if they put real effort in to it, not going to lie)

Same here. Hell, I'm not sure if I even care that much about the effort involved; barring any showstopping bugs (remember the Silent Hill HD collection?) I might be happy just to have it on a modern console... preferably with the IZJS content of course, but honestly I'd probably still buy it without.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I gave myself a Christmas present and bought FFVIII on sale using Steam, and man, what a ton of fun that game was. Logged 70 hours or so in about a month. Triple Triad is the best minigame ever, but I forgot how hilariously easy it is to break the game's junction system for battles (which I liked a lot). Junction 100 Ultimas here, 80 Auras there, aaand you're pretty much invincible. Or just use Ultima. Even Ultimate and Omega Weapon weren't that much of a challenge, though it took me a couple tries to beat Omega.

And to reiterate what another poster said, Squall's allies really are the most bipolar group of people ever. It's a constant switch between demanding Squall be the LEADER OF EVERYONE, and Squall HAVING TO SAVE RINOA AT EVERY TURN. Even when Rinoa voluntarily gave herself up to Esthar because it was the safe thing to do, everyone completely berated Squall. Poor guy had good reason not to trust anyone and constantly be brooding.

railroad terror fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 7, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Going back to FF7 for a bit, I'm playing Crisis Core again and I'm amazed at this game all over again. It's pretty good, the soundtrack is great, and while the characters and plot it introduced is a bit...much? this sort of thing should be expected because how else are you going to make a prequel game about Zack, when we knew very little about the guy?

What I don't like, both from when I first played it and now, is how you level up and the random statuses you can get because of the slot machine mechanic they have going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

What I don't like, both from when I first played it and now, is how you level up and the random statuses you can get because of the slot machine mechanic they have going on.

It was pretty clearly something where they came up with its use in the ending first and extrapolated from there. Although to be fair its use in the ending is really good for that sort of mechanic.