Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

inkblottime posted:

So am I right in saying that if I want to root with a stock ROM, I have to first reset to factory (if I want to preserve reset with Odin), Uninstall Samsung USB drivers on my computer, install custom Samsung USB drivers on my computer, install Odin on said computer using admin, connect phone, set to download mode, run Odin with custom stock ROM, and done?

Where does CF Auto Root factor into this? Or is that the file I use with Odin?
I think you'll have to tell us what device you're on for anyone to answer. Also what your stock bootloader (?) version is, I think, I'm not familiar with Samsungs at all.

Reading the steps, I'd guess CF Auto Root is to root the stock ROM you flash at the end. I'd imagine you can only flash stock, signed firmware with Odin but I could be completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
I bought a Nexus 5 awhile back and left my Galaxy Nexus sitting on a shelf. I was thinking of selling it soon, but it's rooted and has Paranoid Android on it. What do I do to make it completely stock again? Is it difficult?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Saliciouscrumb posted:

I bought a Nexus 5 awhile back and left my Galaxy Nexus sitting on a shelf. I was thinking of selling it soon, but it's rooted and has Paranoid Android on it. What do I do to make it completely stock again? Is it difficult?
I assume you have ADB installed. Just go to the Nexus image page and grab the latest image then run the batch file. The instructions are on the page.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I assume you have ADB installed. Just go to the Nexus image page and grab the latest image then run the batch file. The instructions are on the page.

Don't know. I flashed Roms by moving them into the phone and then selecting them through the custom recovery. Can I do that too with the image I just downloaded from Google?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Saliciouscrumb posted:

Don't know. I flashed Roms by moving them into the phone and then selecting them through the custom recovery. Can I do that too with the image I just downloaded from Google?
No. How did you get the custom recovery on there in the first place?

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

Tunga posted:

No. How did you get the custom recovery on there in the first place?

Followed a guide I found. This is a Galaxy Nexus. I did this 2+ years ago, but ok, I'll think I'll manage now, have some reading to do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Saliciouscrumb posted:

Followed a guide I found. This is a Galaxy Nexus. I did this 2+ years ago, but ok, I'll think I'll manage now, have some reading to do.
All Nexuses work the same way. Grab the newest image here (direct link to the image you need), then move the files inside to your adb/platform-tools folder. Then run the batch file inside. It will wipe everything and install the stock OS, recovery, and boot.img. Then you'll be done.

It will take maybe two minutes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Can someone recommend the simplest way to install flash on my phone? It's a Nexus 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Can someone recommend the simplest way to install flash on my phone? It's a Nexus 5.
You can't. In 4.4 they went to a Chromium WebView which means that the Flash plugin no longer works. I doubt you could install it even if you went to CM11 and used the AOSP Browser.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

You can't. In 4.4 they went to a Chromium WebView which means that the Flash plugin no longer works. I doubt you could install it even if you went to CM11 and used the AOSP Browser.

They removed it from the Play store but there's an archive of old Flash player versions on Adobe. Firefox uses the plugin but it's kinda poo poo (which is why not even Adobe wants you to use it).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grim Up North posted:

They removed it from the Play store but there's an archive of old Flash player versions on Adobe. Firefox uses the plugin but it's kinda poo poo (which is why not even Adobe wants you to use it).
That's the plugin I'm referring to. It won't work on KitKat, only 4.0-4.3 and then only in the AOSP Browser, not Chrome which is what the N5 in lieu of the Browser.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Lame, but I still love my nexus. Thanks for the answer.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Giving CM11 nightlies a go on my HTC One since the 4.4 versions of the Sense build a really terrible with battery.

It connected fine to wifi during setup but I just realised it using mobile data to pull backups from google and refuses to connect to wifi.

Entering WEP key and pressing connect takes me back to the available conenctions view and my wifi showed as Saved, secured with WPA2.

Noticed late so I suspect this has used my data limit for the month. Annoying.

Edit: Also taking ages for things to install.

Annoying x2

Edit 2: and now I can't even restored my sdcard data from computer to phone without processes crashes on phone which stops the data moving over.

Back to a good rom I go!

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

That's the plugin I'm referring to. It won't work on KitKat, only 4.0-4.3 and then only in the AOSP Browser, not Chrome which is what the N5 in lieu of the Browser.

As I said, it works on Kitkat in Firefox (Nexus 4 with stock ROM).

VVV: Yeah, that's why it works. I was just assuming that Up And Adam wanted to view pages with flash elements in it and that is what somewhat works if you use Flash inside Firefox.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 5, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grim Up North posted:

As I said, it works on Kitkat in Firefox (Nexus 4 with stock ROM).
Firefox isn't using the Chromium WebView, it's using Gecko.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Firefox isn't using the Chromium WebView, it's using Gecko.

And that matters how?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can just tell TB to store your apps in a different location and it'll move them for you. I don't really understand why you went back to stock. What do you mean you didn't want to lose everything?

I did a nandroid backup of everything to the sdcard. As part of wiping everything, I wiped internal storage as well (it was nearly full and I was planning to start fresh). That action wiped out my Titanium Backup data, so when I flashed CM11 and installed Titanium Backup, all I could find was a REALLY old backup on my on sdcard. I'd effectively lost everything.

Restoring my nandroid restored all my active data. I've since fixed Titanium Backup to backup properly on the sdcard, but I don't feel like going through that whole process again for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install Windows posted:

And that matters how?
Because the Flash plugin won't work with the Chromium WebView on Android because it's designed to explicitly break it. It will only work with the old one which KitKat lacks. Because Firefox packages its own compatible renderer the Flash plugin, which Firefox designed their browser to be compatible with, the Flash plugin will work if sideloaded.

Furthermore the AOSP Browser which can be built from source does not include the old WebView so even though it allows plugins it still uses the included Chromium WebView so the Flash Plugin won't work there either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Because the Flash plugin won't work with the Chromium WebView on Android because it's designed to explicitly break it. It will only work with the old one which KitKat lacks. Because Firefox packages its own compatible renderer the Flash plugin, which Firefox designed their browser to be compatible with, the Flash plugin will work if sideloaded.

Furthermore the AOSP Browser which can be built from source does not include the old WebView so even though it allows plugins it still uses the included Chromium WebView so the Flash Plugin won't work there either.

So none of that matters to his goal: look at Flash in a browser on Android. Because Firefox exists (and is also the best browser, incidentally).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install Windows posted:

So none of that matters to his goal: look at Flash in a browser on Android. Because Firefox exists (and is also the best browser, incidentally).
I suppose that's true. I'd never consider using Firefox so it didn't occur to me, but yeah that's something one could do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any goons have experience or recommendations with a decent ROM for the Note 3 on T-Mobile? I want the Samsung crap gone. Having the pen support is all well and good but not necessary - I can live without it. I do need LTE, camera, tethering, etc. - all the base functionality, so the new Cyanogenmod 11 that leaked won't fit the bill since most of that isn't yet fully supported.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Install Windows posted:

Hey, I agree with this. I don't know why I didn't install it sooner, and even better if Flash works.

edit: I couldn't get the latest official version, or the hacked version from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47958533 to work with Firefox. Should I just use Dolphin?

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 6, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Works with Dolphin too. Though I'd pick Firefox over Dolphin these days.

It's ok if you want to use it to watch Amazon Prime videos (which is what most people do with it on non-Kindle devices) but pretty poo poo overall. I have it set to load on demand.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

MJP posted:

Any goons have experience or recommendations with a decent ROM for the Note 3 on T-Mobile? I want the Samsung crap gone. Having the pen support is all well and good but not necessary - I can live without it. I do need LTE, camera, tethering, etc. - all the base functionality, so the new Cyanogenmod 11 that leaked won't fit the bill since most of that isn't yet fully supported.

I just rooted my TMo Note 3 using Root de la Vega and didn't trip KNOX, thus maintaining the warranty status. I might be wrong in this but can't you just root the stock ROM and keep all those functions? The only one I'm not sure about is tethering but I rooted with stock for almost the same reasons as you: getting rid of bloatware while at the same time maintaining all the other useful features on the phone. Please someone enlighten me if I missed something.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

inkblottime posted:

I just rooted my Note 3 using Root de la Vega and didn't trip KNOX, thus maintaining the warranty status. I might be wrong in this but can't you just root the stock ROM and keep all those functions? The only one I'm not sure about is tethering but I rooted with stock for almost the same reasons as you: getting rid of bloatware while at the same time maintaining all the other useful features on the phone. Please someone enlighten me if I missed something.

You can disable most (if not all) apps from the built-in App manager. Settings -> Apps -> All, click on the app you want gone and hit "Disable".

If that's not working, you can try this app (free but needs root): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tvkdevelopment.nobloatfree
Generally the ones you want are under System Apps. I'd suggest disabling instead of deleting.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

grack posted:

You can disable most (if not all) apps from the built-in App manager. Settings -> Apps -> All, click on the app you want gone and hit "Disable".

If that's not working, you can try this app (free but needs root): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tvkdevelopment.nobloatfree
Generally the ones you want are under System Apps. I'd suggest disabling instead of deleting.

Thanks for that. I was looking into a Cleaner App on the XDA forums but I wanted to backup my stuff with Titanium Backup first (it's taking awhile). I'll check that one out, too.

Those guys at XDA are pretty awesome for making this possible and writing it out on the forums. The hardest part was trying to locate all the files from download sites that didn't take 10 hours. The rooting itself took less than 5 minutes and that was mostly because I kept referring back to the instructions. If everything works out, I'm going to buy the Pro versions of SuperSU to support them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I tried to turn my Dev edition (unlocked bootlaoder) HTC One into a Google Play Edition today, and it didn't work.

I installed TWRP easily enough, but after installing the GPE 4.4 zip (from here) it was stuck in a boot loop.

I'd get the HTC One logo, then the Google four colored circle thing, then it would appear to boot up fine and put me at the standard Google "start" screen for setting up a new device, but within two seconds, it would reboot.

Luckily, I could get it back into recovery by holding volume down + power as it rebooted, and was able to restore my backup just fine.

I figured that the problem nay have been I didn't have S-Off?

So I'm looking at instructions for getting S-Off here, and it says:

quote:

Your HTC One must be on hboot 1.54 or 1.55

I'm on hboot v. 1.56. So is there a way to get S-Off with an HTC One with Hboot 1.56? Doe Rumrunner work and he just hasn't updated that post?

And was S-Off likely my issue? Or is is possibly a bad ROM and I should just try re-downloading, and then re-copying over to my phone? It has thar MD5 check info thingy, but I don't know how to "use" that to verify the zip is good.

Edit: V V V Ahh, cool, I didn't know ES had that. And the checksum is good for the zip on my phone, so that's not it. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

It has thar MD5 check info thingy, but I don't know how to "use" that to verify the zip is good.
On Windows just download an MD5 checker or use the one in ES on your phone since the file is probably there. On OS X open a Terminal where the file is and type "md5 [filename]".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
At work, I'm not supposed to have a rooted phone. We use Xenprise (Citrix Worx) for exchange. I need to be able to use my phone, but I'd like to get on board with the Xposed frame work so that I can make my quick settings actually useful. Does anyone know if I root, apply, then remove root, will Citrix be able to tell? I'm not really sure how it determins if root has been given on the phone. Nor do I know if it detects an unlocked bootloader.

Verizon Droid Maxx, 4.2.2. Can't update to kit kat till they fix the drat citrix app to work with 4.4.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, it looks like it's hard to get S-Off on the most up-to-date Dev edition of the One, because of hboot 1.56.

Everything is a sort of workaround which requires first installing an unsecured kernel, and then running an S-Off thing on that, which may or may not work anyway, then installing the actual ROM you want.

I looked at CM but it's only at 10.2 for the One, so I'd be downgrading back to Jelly Bean from KitKat.

I thought the whole POINT of the Dev edition is that it could easily be "fiddled" with? It's not that I NEED stock, I'm just sick of Sense's little annoyances/deviations and wanted to give stock a try, since I don't use my camera for much, and that's one of the biggest draws of the Sense ROM.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Are there any modified camera APKs for the Nexus 5 that step the ISO back and slow the shutter speed to where it was before the camera update? I'd like to keep the fixes like focus but I found the pictures, especially the low light ones were better when the ISO was lower. Perhaps it was just shooting conditions but the new update seems to handle lights (lens flares and halos) a lot worse than before.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

deong posted:

At work, I'm not supposed to have a rooted phone. We use Xenprise (Citrix Worx) for exchange. I need to be able to use my phone, but I'd like to get on board with the Xposed frame work so that I can make my quick settings actually useful. Does anyone know if I root, apply, then remove root, will Citrix be able to tell? I'm not really sure how it determins if root has been given on the phone. Nor do I know if it detects an unlocked bootloader.

Verizon Droid Maxx, 4.2.2. Can't update to kit kat till they fix the drat citrix app to work with 4.4.

Depends on how it checks (for SU, binaries, etc). There are some Root Hider apps in the play store, I haven't tried any but check the reviews and maybe brave XDA to ask over there. There are a few apps (Barclays Bank gets mentioned a lot) which go to great lengths to detect root, but most can be tricked from what I read.

Will Xposed work without root at all, even after install? I think GravityBox needs it but I could be wrong.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
From the faq on xda,
Does this require root access?
Yes, because it replaces a file in /system/bin. Once the framework is installed, it should work without root access.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone can help with this.

I have a TF700T and I was on CleanROM. It was suggested by another goon in the Tablet thread, who also has a transformer, to switch to CromiX. So I decided I would. I used TWRP to update to 10.6.14.8, like CromiX thread suggested. However, I have lost root AND access to TWRP.

I am unsure what to do now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just installed the latest AOKP nightly (which isn't actually nightly, it's from Jan. 5th,) on my One. It seemed to be the closest to a 4.4 "pure ANdroid" ROM I could find that was easy to install (since, as said, the Google Play Edition ROM requires S-Off for some reason, which is nearly impossible to achieve on the latest bootloader version.)

Only had it running about half a day, but everything seems fine so far. All major things working (phone, camera, wifi, texting, LTE even works, which is a big plus.)

Anyone else out there running AOKP and have any tips/tricks? I know there's some stuff buried in the settings, but for right now, I basically made it into stock Android (aside from turning the battery bar in the status bar to a percentage.)

Edit: Huh...I guess because it's just a nightly, but I looked at a video that highlighted some features of AOKP, and I have, like, 50% of those at best. There doesn't even seem to be a built-in way top hide apps in the app drawer.

I'll probably end up using something like Nova Launcher anyway, so I can just do that from there, I guess.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 8, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Posted it on the wrong android thread:

I'm using CM 10.2 (stable) on my S4 and I really want to try the 4.4.2 GE rom but I hear that lots of people had to flash a new modem for 4.4. I don't know what the hell is that about (baseband for what I gather). Should I just do a nandroid of my current 10.2 and try it and see what happens? :v:

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I couldn't find much info here about rooting the Droid MAXX except for someone in September saying it was not a simple affair.

Poking around XDA I found a post asking for clarification on using a few different methods to get themselves rooted and onto Kit Kat.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? It seems straight forward enough, but if there are easier/better ways now I'd love to hear.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
How are the AOSP roms for the HTC One? I'm planning to get one from the new T-Mobile deal but will go with the Nexus 5 if AOSP gimps the battery life or camera.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

NewcastleBrown posted:

I couldn't find much info here about rooting the Droid MAXX except for someone in September saying it was not a simple affair.

Poking around XDA I found a post asking for clarification on using a few different methods to get themselves rooted and onto Kit Kat.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? It seems straight forward enough, but if there are easier/better ways now I'd love to hear.
I have a rooted Maxx on KitKat and that post is more or less accurate. I used House of Moto to revert back to the camera update not RSD lite, and the first reply in the thread is correct that you want to use the second file listed (Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US) and not the first.

Here's a guide for the House of Moto that I used. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702

I wouldn't have describer the process as straightforward, but here is a general checklist with links to a proper guide of each step to make sure you're on track

Start from official stock 4.2.2 camera update
Use rockMyMoto to gain root (hijacks recovery) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2513571
Use MotoWpNoMo to disable write protection http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551113
Use House of Moto to revert back to stock 4.2.2 camera update (write protection disabling persists through this) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702
Use SlapMyMoto to prepare for update to KitKat http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
Update to KitKat through official OTA(or sideload) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577977
Finish using SlapMyMoto after KitKat update http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
After reboot, install SuperSU from the market. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

THF13 posted:

I have a rooted Maxx on KitKat and that post is more or less accurate. I used House of Moto to revert back to the camera update not RSD lite, and the first reply in the thread is correct that you want to use the second file listed (Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US) and not the first.

Here's a guide for the House of Moto that I used. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702

I wouldn't have describer the process as straightforward, but here is a general checklist with links to a proper guide of each step to make sure you're on track

Start from official stock 4.2.2 camera update
Use rockMyMoto to gain root (hijacks recovery) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2513571
Use MotoWpNoMo to disable write protection http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551113
Use House of Moto to revert back to stock 4.2.2 camera update (write protection disabling persists through this) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702
Use SlapMyMoto to prepare for update to KitKat http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
Update to KitKat through official OTA(or sideload) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577977
Finish using SlapMyMoto after KitKat update http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
After reboot, install SuperSU from the market. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

Thanks! I'm going to give the phone a few days to be sure I want it (who am I kidding, I'm loving it so far) and then probably give this a shot.