Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Starhawk64 posted:

Not really a computer related thing but since I work in a call center for TV and internet services have to get this off my chest:

Why are people so loving stupid when it comes to troubleshooting issues with TV? Getting someone to reprogram a remote is a loving battle since apparently they cannot follow directions correctly. How the gently caress do these people function in life? Don't even get me started on people who call in about poo poo we can't troubleshoot like DVD players and Tablets. Go call the manufacturers of those devices you dumbass dipshits! Why are people so loving dumb when they call tech support, it pisses me off to no end. If you don't know what the gently caress you are doing or can't follow basic instructions, get your tech-savvy friends or childern to call! :rant:

How do I set the clock thingy on my VCR? No I'm not at home right now do I need to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Reprogram a remote? poo poo, I've got users who can't turn on their TV. We had to make an instruction sheet with directions such as: Point remote at TV, press button marked ON.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Starhawk64 posted:

Not really a computer related thing but since I work in a call center for TV and internet services have to get this off my chest:

Why are people so loving stupid when it comes to troubleshooting issues with TV? Getting someone to reprogram a remote is a loving battle since apparently they cannot follow directions correctly. How the gently caress do these people function in life? Don't even get me started on people who call in about poo poo we can't troubleshoot like DVD players and Tablets. Go call the manufacturers of those devices you dumbass dipshits! Why are people so loving dumb when they call tech support, it pisses me off to no end. If you don't know what the gently caress you are doing or can't follow basic instructions, get your tech-savvy friends or childern to call! :rant:

This sounds awfully familiar because I have a similar job. Only we do telephony as well. Great fun when a coworker makes a callback for a phone issue to the impacted number.

I'm a senior though so I only take calls when it's busy, I get to deal mainly with coworkers who can't follow basic instructions instead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Starhawk64 posted:

Can't you just like, program the stick remotely? What you mean I have to be in the same room as my TV box?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

I've spent 3 hours trying to program my Verizon-provided remote for a new-to-me Samsung TV before saying screw it and swapping to my Logitech. I'll let you guess which one took 5 minutes to setup with easy to follow instructions and feedback.

So only about 60% chance it was user error.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

So work is trying to encourage people to jump on the BYOD plan for cell phones, with them paying a portion of the bill. I've been avoiding doing this since I like having a divide between work and home, but since they've started this push, they've stopped upgrading company phones. I've got an ancient BB Curve 8830 that seems to be on its last legs, but they don't want to replace it. Which seems kinda silly that I'm expected to have a tool for work, but they don't want to pay for it. Anyone else going through something like this?

Why do I get the feeling I work with you? This is exactly what we're doing, and I feel bad for some people. They get a discount, plus just enough cash to cover data, and that supposed to make them feel okay and on call all the time.

EDIT: God help them if they try to pull it with me

GoatShaver fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 6, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Siochain posted:

Man, that's enough to close you? drat. Its been -40 or lower (celcius or faranheit, take your pick, they catch up around -39 or so.) Bloody cold. And still I work. Ah well, c'est la vie. Going to get our asses kicked today by post-holiday support rush, huzzah!

We're around -20F with windchill and half the team is out because their car wouldn't start or something. Mine somehow did with only one try, though it didn't sound great doing it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I had to go out to move my truck and drat near had to use a prybar to open the passenger door since the driver-side door was frozen solid. Finally managed to open the driver-side door by hitting it with my shoulder in a football-style tackle from inside the cab. Now I remember why I hate winter and was glad when I moved back from Minnesota to Ohio. Looks like I need to move further south again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Looks like I need to move further south again.

It was 16F/-9C this morning in Dallas. Not much further south you can go than us...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

It was 16F/-9C this morning in Dallas. Not much further south you can go than us...

I love that it's warmer up here than it is down there for once.it's fun listening to the news with everyone in the lower 48 freaking out about what is a regular occurrence for us.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kyrosiris posted:

I got to walk to work in this.

Admittedly, my office is right across the street from where I live.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I had to go out to move my truck and drat near had to use a prybar to open the passenger door since the driver-side door was frozen solid. Finally managed to open the driver-side door by hitting it with my shoulder in a football-style tackle from inside the cab. Now I remember why I hate winter and was glad when I moved back from Minnesota to Ohio. Looks like I need to move further south again.

My car wouldn't start this morning (it was -9 F, I believe) so I had to wake up my roommate and get a ride. :( It seems the car I bought this summer won't start right around -4 degrees.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
-10 F here. It totally sucked getting out of my nice warm bed and going downstairs to my heated office. :smuggo:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

A friend of mine posted this important local weather alert on his facebook this morning:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stubblyhead posted:

A friend of mine posted this important local weather alert on his facebook this morning:

"Wind Chill 45 degrees"

Anywhere else in the country that's a loving heater.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fivre posted:

We're around -20F with windchill and half the team is out because their car wouldn't start or something. Mine somehow did with only one try, though it didn't sound great doing it.

That's getting into cold-enough territory that if you aren't used to it, its bad. And a lot of cars will bitch. You guys not have block heaters? Or is that solely a Canadian/European/likelyotherplaces thing? I know the other thing that kills people is the wrong weight of motor oil, gets too thick in the cold and the engine can't crank it.
I'm sitting here enjoying a brisk -30f with about a foot of snow on the ground to clean after work...huzzah!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Siochain posted:

That's getting into cold-enough territory that if you aren't used to it, its bad. And a lot of cars will bitch. You guys not have block heaters? Or is that solely a Canadian/European/likelyotherplaces thing? I know the other thing that kills people is the wrong weight of motor oil, gets too thick in the cold and the engine can't crank it.
I'm sitting here enjoying a brisk -30f with about a foot of snow on the ground to clean after work...huzzah!

Yeah you definitely ain't gonna have a block heater installed in your car in places where temps cold enough don't happen often.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So I just got read the riot act because of a vendor software fuckup.

We use Google Apps. Google Apps has mandatory spam filtering on groups. Emails from our external automated appliances (ones we're paid to monitor) gets tagged as spam a LOT by Google. So, we created a trusted email relay and some email addresses on it to just forward mails off to Google bypassing the spam filter.

Apparently no emails were coming in and it took loving MONTHS for anyone to loving notice.

These appliances we sell are apparently doing a hostname lookup on the email address, notice it's a CNAME, and then loving rewrite the email address to the target domain.

Logically, I only configured the email relay to accept emails on specific domains, and somehow this is my fault.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

McGlockenshire posted:

Apparently no emails were coming in and it took loving MONTHS for anyone to loving notice.
So do you guys not ever actually monitor anything or what

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Misogynist posted:

So do you guys not ever actually monitor anything or what

Oh, I'm sure that the fine gentlemen that we hired as part of this thing are also using their personal email addresses in this thing because they think I'm incompetent.

So far every time that they've found a fault it's been on their end. They stopped complaining after a while.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Install Windows posted:

Yeah you definitely ain't gonna have a block heater installed in your car in places where temps cold enough don't happen often.

Fair enough. I guess it never occurs to me since they're standard on anything sold up here :) Makes sense though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Siochain posted:

Fair enough. I guess it never occurs to me since they're standard on anything sold up here :) Makes sense though.

Block heaters are standard here, but we have 3 military bases nearby, and any soldiers that bring their cars up from anywhere else have such a ridiculously hard time adjusting.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

McGlockenshire posted:

These appliances we sell are apparently doing a hostname lookup on the email address, notice it's a CNAME, and then loving rewrite the email address to the target domain.

Ahahahaha, it's sendmail. And here I thought I was done dealing with that poo poo after purging it from my network.

quote:

But, the sendmail MTA rewrites the recipient address by default, in violation of the RFC. The nocanonify feature, or the DontExpandCnames option, fix this.. but when you don't have control over the server that's messing with things, all you can do is work around it.

The RFC's phrasing was originally in RFC 2821, from 2001.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
How loving hard is it to fill out a basic contact form for your company? It's one of the simplest things in the world, yet every day I find dozens of entries where the information is missing, the web address is mangled and dysfunctional, or the group's name is listed as some random string of text that should be in a description field. How do people screw this up?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RFC2324 posted:

I got to walk to work in this.

Admittedly, my office is right across the street from where I live.

Luckily, my girlfriend was around to take me to work today, I was not looking forward to cycling to the DART station to get to work this morning.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

McGlockenshire posted:

Ahahahaha, it's sendmail. And here I thought I was done dealing with that poo poo after purging it from my network.

You can never get rid of sendmail. It's like a cockroach.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Dave_Indeed posted:

I feel you. Time Warner Cable told me this house I just bought was serviceable, then when I moved in they were like, "no bitch that's wrong, you're crazy bitch"... so I'm always on call for work and very often have to use this garbage satellite internet that has a 10gb cap and no vpn access to do my job. Plus an 800 ms ping that makes logmein a joy to use.

I bitched to the FCC, State Attorney General, the BBB, TWC itself, my village representatives, the governor of Ohio, and recruited a contractor to set up a business line (and bitch at them mercilessly). That was all for fun though, I'm likely just going to have to wait for a 3G tower to get converted to 4G.

I'm with you on this, the lady and I moved to this rather developed and established lake side community back in October, and one of the deciding factors was the availability of high speed internet. I knew it was a gamble as we were going to be pretty far out from the Omaha city limits, but I didn't think it would be an issue when I called Windstream (DSL) to confirm what their website said was true.

According to their site, a 3 and 6mbit lines were available. for the low-low cost of 54 bux for the 6 meg option. I signed up for that only to get a letter of consolation saying the only the 3 meg option was available in my area. No cable providers run 10 miles from the city, and satellite is too expensive. Also there was a billing snafu that put our 3 bit line at 64 dollars a month and when I called and complained, also sending them screenshots of their own website and then walking the rep through the steps to reproduce the same result for my address, they finally reduced my bill permanently to the advertised priced of 44 dollars.

The line we have now works -ok- but its not great for everything that we would like it to. Netflix takes 3-5 minutes to buffer to HD. Web surfing is slow, VPN is usable, but just barely so. Online gaming is a complete no-go though. Far too much lag.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
RE: Winterchat

This is why I love the California Bay Area. I think the coldest I've seen here in the Pleasanton/San Ramon area was about 28F. I think it was 45F this morning. :smug:

I love being able to walk around in a short sleeve shirt & shorts in Winter. Of course, all the wimps around here look at me like I'm crazy. Personally, I hate Winter because they constantly crank up the heat. So, you go from a somewhat cold climate to blazing hot. The worst part, is that they do this in they Gym as well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TWBalls posted:

This is why I love the California Bay Area. I think the coldest I've seen here in the Pleasanton/San Ramon area was about 28F. I think it was 45F this morning. :smug:

I love being able to walk around in a short sleeve shirt & shorts in Winter. Of course, all the wimps around here look at me like I'm crazy. Personally, I hate Winter because they constantly crank up the heat. So, you go from a somewhat cold climate to blazing hot. The worst part, is that they do this in they Gym as well.
On the other hand, winter coats do provide some degree of protection against earthquake rubble.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TWBalls posted:

You can get all the same benefits without having to actually live in the (awful) Bay area by moving to the triangle or Austin. Seattle and Portland also have a similar climate without such a horrendous cost of living.

I miss the winter, though.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
With the snowpocalypse forecast I set everything up so I could work remotely.

Too bad it didn't do any good because both my home internet and shop internet has been down more than it's been up today.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We didn't even get any snow this winter so far in my neck of Canada...

So I haven't seen my parents for a while and when I went over and let my self in I heard some commercial BLARING in the house. I thought they left the TV on (they always do) but nope, it was the computer. I looked at their laptop and it had about 20 pop-ups playing ads, one playing an audio ad for some survey they won. I also noticed he had about 6 toolbars and his tray was just FULL of stupid poo poo.

My poor dad thinks he's pretty good with computers, but it's nearly the same story every time I go over. Some friend of a friend will post some loving musical slideshow on his facebook and suddenly he HAS to make one, so then he spends the next 6 hours downloading every program, every browser-ad on, every plugin imaginable that might let him make a music slideshow. He claims he reads everything but I know he just clicks through every installer without even reading.

Seriously what is with baby boomers and installing a billion toolbars and adware programs and they never admitting they did anything wrong. He was asking me what anti-spyware program I use, or what program I use to clean that stuff off my computer. I felt bad telling him but I just had to say "I haven't used one in about 6 years, I just don't install poo poo that comes with that stuff" and he refuses to believe its possible. Having your default search, homepage, and bookmarks change every time you do anything is totally unavoidable and just part of using a computer.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
poo poo that's pissing me off today: printers and co-workers. I came back from a two week vacation to find that, on the floor with the executives and sales people, two of the three printers were down and have been down since the 2nd. The one printer that was up is never used and might as well not exist. Apparently my co-workers didn't think to look on the web interface to find the printer error (Brother print unable 71) and the recommended solution on Brother's website is to reboot it. I rebooted it, and magically the five jobs in the print queue started printing. The other printer decided to start jamming if you fill the printer tray more than halfway, and I found a Post-It note on the tray saying to not fill more than halfway to prevent jamming, instead of troubleshooting and figuring out why it jams if you do that. gently caress me.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I help out one of my bosses at work with her computer stuff. I don't mind doing it. It boosts my ego. But I know it ideally shouldn't be necessary.

Today she asked me how to open a DVD on her kid's new laptop. Why couldn't her 12 year old use reasoning to deduce this? I could at that age. Why didn't my boss tell the kid to actually try and figure it out? This actually makes me feel good because when young people are inept and lazy it's easier for me to retain my foothold in the working world. :v:

Yet it kinda pisses me off that I have to explain to my boss how to use a program of any kind to open a DVD on a computer. She's supposed to be a professional. She works with computers all the time for records and digital imaging, but does everything by writing it down on paper! She even keeps her records together on bloody paper, writing down file names and sizes on a printed spreadsheet. :psyboom: Here's a pic of one, just to prove that someone on the planet is still doing this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo pissing me off:

Actually I kinda like it. Except that my snow day of drinking beer and watching TV turned into the "drive my mom to the doctor because she has pneumonia and get stuck in the snow in the process". Luckily a good samaritan shoveled out my car after I got stuck trying to get to the top of my mom's street. She still had to walk a block to my car which put her into an acute asthma attack. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

americanzero4128 posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off today: printers and co-workers. I came back from a two week vacation to find that, on the floor with the executives and sales people, two of the three printers were down and have been down since the 2nd. The one printer that was up is never used and might as well not exist. Apparently my co-workers didn't think to look on the web interface to find the printer error (Brother print unable 71) and the recommended solution on Brother's website is to reboot it. I rebooted it, and magically the five jobs in the print queue started printing. The other printer decided to start jamming if you fill the printer tray more than halfway, and I found a Post-It note on the tray saying to not fill more than halfway to prevent jamming, instead of troubleshooting and figuring out why it jams if you do that. gently caress me.

Printers suck and nobody wants to deal with them. The end.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

evol262 posted:

You can get all the same benefits without having to actually live in the (awful) Bay area by moving to the triangle or Austin. Seattle and Portland also have a similar climate without such a horrendous cost of living.

I miss the winter, though.

I like the Bay Area. About the only thing I don't like is the high cost and traffic. Too many lovely drivers, especially in San Ramon. For some reason, a lot of the accidents I've seen in that town involve the drivers going up the curb and hitting large signs or ending up in fountains.

Other than that, I love that there's a ton of food from different cultures nearby. Back in Modesto, it's nothing but American, Mexican and of course Italian (well, Olive Garden type chain restaurants). That gets boring, fast.

**fake edit**
Almost forgot, they have awesome coffee shops around too. Central valley is nothing but Charbucks (over roasted, over priced poo poo) or those skeezy drive through places with scantily clad ladies. Not that I don't like seeing scantily clad ladies, but I'm going for a good cup of coffee, not to ogle women.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TWBalls posted:

Charbucks

You're an idiot.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

TWBalls posted:

I like the Bay Area. About the only thing I don't like is the high cost and traffic. Too many lovely drivers, especially in San Ramon. For some reason, a lot of the accidents I've seen in that town involve the drivers going up the curb and hitting large signs or ending up in fountains.

Other than that, I love that there's a ton of food from different cultures nearby. Back in Modesto, it's nothing but American, Mexican and of course Italian (well, Olive Garden type chain restaurants). That gets boring, fast.

**fake edit**
Almost forgot, they have awesome coffee shops around too. Central valley is nothing but Charbucks (over roasted, over priced poo poo) or those skeezy drive through places with scantily clad ladies. Not that I don't like seeing scantily clad ladies, but I'm going for a good cup of coffee, not to ogle women.

I miss good mexican, the central valley was always good for that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're an idiot.

No, he's not. Starbucks way loving overroasts. It's nauseating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
So, because I don't like my coffee to taste like charcoal, I'm an idiot? Okay...

^^^
Yeah, they do have great Mexican but I can get great Mexican in the Bay as well.

vvv
In this case, I'm not gonna pay $2-3 for a lovely cup of coffee just because it was served by an attractive woman. I'm paying good money for good coffee.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 7, 2014