Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

_jink posted:

I was mostly just wondering what you'd settled on! (having gone on a CoQ binge a bit ago & dreaming of a graphical version)

edit; drat 12x16 is minuscule

That's pretty awesome. It's actually 16x24, just checked. I must have been thinking of some font I was playing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ahh thats more reasonable

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

_jink posted:

That is really awesome.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

_jink posted:

Awesome.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

9x16 is where it's at. :cmon:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

_jink posted:

Yeah, that's totally awesome.

FYI, If we get around to getting the project rolling in earnest, and you feel like contributing to it, I'd be happy to chat about some sort of remuneration for your work, just toss me a PM.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dredmor sped up makes my brain itch, the frantic animations really bug me :(

Also, Dredmor's biggest issue with character creation in my opinion is simply that it doesn't really give you much of an idea of what synergizes well or in fact what things do in general during character creation.

A less opaque system would go far in making the chargen concept work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've never been a huge fan of freeform/skill systems. I know a lot of people love them, and there's nothing wrong with them really, but I like the added fluff that comes with strong class concepts.

They're also almost always horrible newbie traps (and sometimes even experienced players!)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A freeform skill system means more options, but unless the developers are unprecedented wunderkinds of balance, they're usually much easier choices once the game is understood. On the other hand a system that's too restrictive narrows you down to only a couple of choices so even if they're agonizing there isn't much room for creativity.

Personally I like systems of exclusion, where you can pick what you like, but one good option locks out another just as good, and not just as a matter of taste. In singleplayer games it makes you plan around your capabilities, which can interact with level/obstacle design in interesting ways, and adds replayability. In multiplayer it promotes specialization while making it easier to avoid the MMO pitfall of everyone having only one defined role and nothing else.

In conclusion, DoomRL and Diablo 2 are pretty good games. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 6, 2014

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
over the weekend I wrote a start reroller for the ADOM windows tile version. I don't know what motivated me to do this, but a fugue state kinda took over me... anyways, its kinda like the old start reroller that used to be on the ascii servers, but a little worse in some ways (in that it can't read the program's memory while its running, so it has to guess-and-check the generated saves instead), and a little better in others (you can require starts that have specific equipment and skills, whereas the old one could only do stats).

the script requires Perl to, but the README.txt gives exact instructions on exactly what to download to get it installed properly so it should hopefully be pretty easy to set up even if you don't know a lick about any code.

might be some bugs here or there; lemme know if you have any trouble!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lhob1au8luyp9mm/adom_p20ascii_reroller_v0.0.3.zip

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Man the zombies in Coin Crypt are really really painful now they start off with the damage/healing reversal status.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
From the fertile fields of LD48, a roguelike draws near!

http://sheep.art.pl/Fujo

quote:

Fujo is a graphical roguelike game, in which you take control of a Japanese temple maiden who was kidnapped by monsters into a deep cave and has to fight her way out and defeat the boss of the monsters.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i'm not really sure what to think about that

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

madjackmcmad posted:

From the fertile fields of LD48, a roguelike draws near!

http://sheep.art.pl/Fujo

Trip Report:

Walked around a lot picking stuff up. Started getting 'Hungry' message and taking damage. Pick up lunch box. Still get message. Try to hit every keyboard key, nothing happens. Turn on Caps Lock and try every key again. Only ESC and the arrow keys do anything.

Die of hunger, quit game.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
You use enter to open your inventory. I beat it only using enter and the arrow keys, there's really barely a game there right now.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

:pcgaming:Dungeons of the Endless:pcgaming:

tl; dr: Currently in alpha with 3 levels of its intended 12 and limited heroes/items/skills, very high on potential, very fun.

I beat the Dungeon of the Endless alpha in just under 1 hour and 5 minutes with 1271 points. My girlfriend beat it on her first try in about 3 hours of meticulous play after losing all but 1 crewman late on the first level. It's a little lean on content at the moment, but it's an early access alpha with a disclaimer to remind you "this is an alpha," the gameplay is very fresh, and the potential for lots of replay value and varied games is very obvious when playing it. If you like early access or plan on buying it at release, it's a good preorder if you can spare the :10bux:. The devs are also claiming to aim for updates to the alpha every 2 weeks once they finish their holiday time off, so we'll see how that pans out.

There are some interesting mechanics in the game, shallow as their interaction currently is without the final resource and no idea what actual late game difficulty looks like (the alpha is 3 levels, the full game is 12 levels).

An example is how Dust, one of the 3 current resources, works. From one level to the next, you can carry over Industry (build stuff like generators, defenses, buff-turrets) and food (upgrade and heal your team members) but not Dust.

Dust is arguably the most important because it powers rooms/everything you build with Industry and you can't expand your base without Dust; every room is powered with the Dust currently in your Crystal, so you have to keep Dust, you can't just 'buy' power to a room and forget it. You have to build up Dust each level; your Crystal, the thing you have to protect it with your tower defenses and heroes, uses the Dust to power the rooms. Your Crystal starts with 30 Dust, enough for 2 rooms and the Crystal's room. This is thematically shown by heaving the Crystal up on a hero, disconnecting power and leaving its non-starting Dust behind, then carrying it to the next level where you find more Dust.

On top of that, Dust is also used to buy items from merchants (and merchants will give you dust for selling items).

I fully cleared every level before advancing. Whenever I could, I kept merchants alive until the end of the round. During the round, I'd sell excess gear; at the end of the round, before disconnecting my Crystal, I'd power down all the rooms that weren't essential for my run to the exit, buy everything the merchant had with all the dust I could, then power up whatever rooms I thought would help me reach the exit. Then I'd just haul the Crystal over.

Oddly enough, my level 3 exit was 2 doors away from my Crystal start, so it was kind of an anticlimactic ending for me once I fully explored the level. I was hoping for a really drawn-out fight with my max-level-for-the-alpha 4-hero cornfed death squad.

As far as updates go, the devs are pretty community-centric, even giving the community options on what goal they should focus on next with their Games2Gether site, which they also have a progress roadmap on. I haven't followed that very closely, but it's an interesting idea that they apparently have used in the past; DotE is from the makers of, and in the same universe as, the game Endless Space? I never played that, but I'm curious about it based on the setting of DotE.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

S.T.C.A. posted:

:pcgaming:Dungeons of the Endless:pcgaming:
DotE is from the makers of, and in the same universe as, the game Endless Space? I never played that, but I'm curious about it based on the setting of DotE.

The races are all from Endless Space and so are the mechanics of food, industry, dust and science (FIDS). There was no tangible land combat in ES but maybe you'll read very sciencey jargon which was the case in ES.
What does matter is the games2gether system. You can blame the community for voting stupid unoriginal character bios (portal references are so funny!) or severely delaying high priority features (like razing, in a 4X game). If they get to choose community created heroes or do damage anything like the community did in ES for DotE, you'll quickly wish it was a representative democracy voting system and not participatory.

The very transparent developer process is extremely neat though, they discuss things in detail and the whys when possible and when I posted bugs it was a to-and-fro between someone who claimed to be their CEO. In ES, the visuals of everything was very sleek but it's obvious that the retro feel in DotE is deliberate, art direction is one of their fortes and the music should be pretty good if not a little on the eerily side.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Holy poo poo.

My family had this back when games could be found on cassette tapes. I remember playing this on the C64!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Not too many games where you play an rear end kicking shrine maiden, shame Fujo sounds so empty

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Corridor posted:

Not too many games where you play an rear end kicking shrine maiden, shame Fujo sounds so empty

You're absolutely correct

(there are also roguelikes apparently?)

Dungeons of Endless is pretty neat, it's kind of empty right now, so I hope that development adds some depth. Getting additional characters is so potent it can pretty much make a run right now.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

Dungeons of Endless is pretty neat, it's kind of empty right now, so I hope that development adds some depth. Getting additional characters is so potent it can pretty much make a run right now.

Additional characters with high Wit especially, since they pump production.

Personally though, the biggest game changer is finding upgraded turret blueprints. Taking a room from basic turrets to Teslas or Claymores helps a whole lot if you've managed to create a chokepoint layout with the rooms you power.

Also, small bug in DotE, if a character's wit changes while they manipulate a generator, they have to step away from the generator and back to update the counts for how many resources you get on door-opening. This means if you level up/equip an item with more wit, the character has to step off the generator and back on.

On the flip side, if you have a crewman to spare, you can equip a lot of wit gear if you have it, put him on a gen that's not likely to be attacked/won't take him off the gen, then take the gear off off and you retain the bonus of wearing it until he steps off the gen; you can then equip that gear to a mechanic/some other crewman to basically get double wit from gear. It's totally not needed since the alpha throws resources at you once you get used to the game, and will be patched (I assume) but it's still there right now.

I'm super hyped over DotE getting more content because it's one of the most fun games I've played since FTL, but FTL is also my favorite non-traditional roguelikes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One Way Heroics was greenlit.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Couple of questions about Sil.

I ran into a violent mold and lost a point of Con, how can I get that back? I have a potion of constitution but I'm not sure if that's permanent (in fact, are all potions of stuff like that, strength, etc, permanent or temporary?)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Levitate posted:

I ran into a violent mold and lost a point of Con, how can I get that back? I have a potion of constitution but I'm not sure if that's permanent (in fact, are all potions of stuff like that, strength, etc, permanent or temporary?)

This got me when I started playing too. Turns out that that food you start with restores Con.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I suspected that might be the case but dont' want to blow it since I haven't found any other food yet. Guess I'll just wait until my guy gets hungry again...if he survives that long.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

voltron lion force posted:

This got me when I started playing too. Turns out that that food you start with restores Con.

I believe lembas only restores drained grace, not constitution. A potion of con or an herb of restoration will restore any drained constitution. Obviously a potion of any given stat will restore that stat if it's been drained. Violet molds are a real pain though, never mess with one unless you absolutely have too or you have a way to sustain your constitution.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well poo poo I knew they restored something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

getting the project rolling in earnest
No ifs :swoon: :hurr:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Levitate posted:

Stat potions add +3 temporary stat points to a stat and after they wear off your stat falls back to its regular level. So if you've got 3 con and quaff a con potion you'll have 6 con for a bit then drop to 3. However if you had 3 con drained to 2 and quaff a potion you'll jump up to 5, and then when the potion wears off you'll drop back down to 3 instead of 2. If your stat was drained more than 3 points then you'd have to quaff 2 potions to completely restore everything.

There's also potions/herbs that just restore 2 drained stats in every stat without giving any temp benefit but you probably won't see one of those for awhile. If you get your grace drained you can also eat a piece of Lembas to restore a single point of that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TOOT BOOT posted:

One Way Heroics was greenlit.
It was for certain. I just hope they will further update it for Steam outside of useless achievements.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was for certain. I just hope they will further update it for Steam outside of useless achievements.

What else do you need to do to "update it for Steam"?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What else do you need to do to "update it for Steam"?

Extra content to get people back into the game and hype it up for the release. It's pretty common for games to get new content when they come out on a new platform.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have a OWH+ (think Elona+) patch in the works that is game-changing huge.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Levitate posted:

Don't ever fight violet molds in melee, just sit back and shoot arrows at them until they die.

They're one of the biggest reasons why light radius 2 is valuable by the time you get to where they start spawning.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Don't ever fight violet molds in melee, just sit back and shoot arrows at them until they die.

They're one of the biggest reasons why light radius 2 is valuable by the time you get to where they start spawning.

Other ways around them are keen senses (lets you see stuff that is right outside your light radius) or lots of will so you just resist the stat damage.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah I didn't mean to, came around a corner or something and got screwed. That dude died anyways so on to trying to make it past 400 again :toot:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone playing Pixel Dungeon for Android OS? My runs are getting a bit more consistent but Tengu keeps destroying me. Last run as a Warrior I had a Sword+3, Mail, and a Ring of Evasion+2 but he still erased me with ease. I was pretty confident with this setup but the fight seems impossible without a variety of wands and potions. Could any experienced Pixel Dungeoncrawlers give me some tips? I'm starting to think I just need an extremely generous seed.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CRAYON posted:

Anyone playing Pixel Dungeon for Android OS? My runs are getting a bit more consistent but Tengu keeps destroying me. Last run as a Warrior I had a Sword+3, Mail, and a Ring of Evasion+2 but he still erased me with ease. I was pretty confident with this setup but the fight seems impossible without a variety of wands and potions. Could any experienced Pixel Dungeoncrawlers give me some tips? I'm starting to think I just need an extremely generous seed.

Enchanting armor is more important than weapons at lower depths. Try that first. Aside from that, paralyze or slow it if possible.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
That's a pretty drat good seed as is, especially the ring of evasion. I frequently clear Tengu with much less.

I'm assuming he killed you through sheer attrition... If so, then there's nothing for it but to stock up on potions of healing. I usually buy out the store on the way down and save every single one I can from drops.

Of course, that requires a whole slew of related things such as maximizing health gains from food, mitigating damage, potion identification etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Sil: I asked about tiles and online play on the official forum. Dev answer: "tiles are the main plan for 1.3", and "no plans for online play".

So, does 1.3 = Jan 2015?
Is angband or any variant available online?

If I could play Sil in a browser, I doubt I would ever play anything else.

bisonbison fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 9, 2014