Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

John Edwards 12%

Christ, there but for the grace of God. I shudder to think what would have happened if he'd gotten the nomination in 2008 or the VP spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Alter Ego posted:

Christ, there but for the grace of God. I shudder to think what would have happened if he'd gotten the nomination in 2008 or the VP spot.

The thing was, his ideas (or at least, what he was running on) were the opposite of terrible. It's just the the man himself was a total sleazeball, and he managed to hide it well for a while.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

His wife and handlers had a secret plan to stop him if it ever looked like he was going to win. This was the only way to handle things and letting him take millions in donations was completely ethical because

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

His wife and handlers had a secret plan to stop him if it ever looked like he was going to win. This was the only way to handle things and letting him take millions in donations was completely ethical because

Is this what Edwards fans kept telling themselves as the Rielle Hunter story unfolded?

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

His wife and handlers had a secret plan to stop him if it ever looked like he was going to win.
Is there a good article about this?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Is this what Edwards fans kept telling themselves as the Rielle Hunter story unfolded?

They pivoted to how wonderful his wife was. But she was also a scumbag who had the fortune of getting her legacy healed by a terminal disease.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SombreroAgnew posted:

Game Change broke this, I believe?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

Obama got 7% in early December 2005 (Hillary Clinton 26%, John Edwards 12%, Joe Lieberman 10%, John Kerry 9%, Barack Obama 7%, Joe Biden 3%, Wesley Clark 3%, Bill Richardson 3%, Evan Bayh 1%, Tim Kaine 1%, Mark Warner 1%) and then wasn't included in a poll again until October 2006 where he got 17% (Hillary Clinton 28%, Barack Obama 17%, John Edwards 13%, Al Gore 13%, John Kerry 12%, Evan Bayh 2%, Joe Biden 2%, Russ Feingold 2%, Bill Richardson 2%, Tom Vilsack 1%).

Going by that logic, that means whoever gets 7% in early PPP polling will be our next President! :pseudo:

I look forward to President Someone Else / Not Sure!

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Posting this here ad from Schweitzer's 2008 campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrkbobD6iX8

A white politician standing alone on a ranch blasting clay pigeons from the sky, while an NRA endorsement crawls the screen - you gotta admire the number of Republican boxes he's ticking.

The only thing he's missing is a couple of low drag camouflage accessories a gratuitous shot of some boots.

dusty fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 7, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SombreroAgnew posted:

Yeah, as noted, "Game Change" details the Edwards/Rielle Hunter thing in a fair amount of sordid detail.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

As I was reading this interview, I was thinking to myself, "eh, I might be willing to vote for this guy in the primary" until they started talking about the Affordable Care Act. There's no way I'll ever vote for a presidential candidate who doesn't advocate a single-payer healthcare system. I'm not willing to settle for a public option. I really hope there will be a candidate in the 2016 Democratic primaries who advocates a single-payer healthcare system.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Math Debater posted:

As I was reading this interview, I was thinking to myself, "eh, I might be willing to vote for this guy in the primary" until they started talking about the Affordable Care Act. There's no way I'll ever vote for a presidential candidate who doesn't advocate a single-payer healthcare system. I'm not willing to settle for a public option. I really hope there will be a candidate in the 2016 Democratic primaries who advocates a single-payer healthcare system.

There won't be.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There won't be.

There were in 2004 and 2008.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There won't be.

There absolutely will be but I find it incredibly hard to believe that they'll nab the nomination and by extension would have a hard time winning in November. People are so up in arms about the current state of ACA that I'd imagine it's going to take at least another two terms before the public would even consider a TRUE KARL MARX COMMUNIST AHHHH!!!!! idea like a single-payer system.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The best part of 2008 was Mike Gravel dropping out of the Democratic primary, running as a Libertarian and coming in a close 2nd place in their primary after showing up to their convention in Vegas and trying to sell them on single payer healthcare because "freedom from want is the ultimate freedom".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Single Payer will not be seriously considered on the federal level until well after a few states get it set up on their own. All progressive eyes are on Vermont and its likely kickoff date of 2017 for the state-level single payer system it's trying to get off the ground.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Math Debater posted:

There were in 2004 and 2008.

There won't be any that matter on any conceivable > Mike Gravel level.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Mark Penn "talking to the Clintons but my job as executive VP is really important guys" can be tea leaved as follows:

33%: actually not involved with the campaign
33%: will quit when it's time in 1.5 years
33%: there won't be a campaign

In other words this nugget isn't really useful unless it's backed up by something other than this.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Adar posted:

There won't be any that matter on any conceivable > Mike Gravel level.

This may be true, but I find Democratic primaries much more fun to follow when they include Kucinich-esque leftish candidates who I can feel relatively okay about rooting for.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Single Payer will not be seriously considered on the federal level until well after a few states get it set up on their own. All progressive eyes are on Vermont and its likely kickoff date of 2017 for the state-level single payer system it's trying to get off the ground.

Or if universal Medicare was passed and it became large/successful enough to start putting insurers out of business.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Insurance companies aren't going to go out of business, they'll switch to higher profit things like being able to not cover basic things and instead charge absurd premiums to get people access to luxury hospitals and crap like that. With the deadweight of the millions of people who need normal healthcare off their books, they'll do fine.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Insurance companies won't be as wealthy as they are now, but yeah,I figure private health insurance will be a thing that rich people have so that they don't have to wait their turn behind poor people to get all their health care.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Adar posted:

Mark Penn "talking to the Clintons but my job as executive VP is really important guys" can be tea leaved as follows:

33%: actually not involved with the campaign
33%: will quit when it's time in 1.5 years
33%: there won't be a campaign

In other words this nugget isn't really useful unless it's backed up by something other than this.

Or he's made it his personal mission working for Microsoft to bring back the Zune.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Does anyone take Mark Penn seriously as a political adviser / pollster anymore? It seems like "corporate leech" is about his ceiling now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Clintons have a thing for gross fat dudes who are ethically sleazy closet Republicans that implode while in their service. With Morris and Penn gone, who will they turn to? I, for one, can't wait to find out who it will be this round.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

The Clintons have a thing for gross fat dudes who are ethically sleazy closet Republicans that implode while in their service. With Morris and Penn gone, who will they turn to? I, for one, can't wait to find out who it will be this round.

The phone rings in the Luntz manse. He puts down his plate of spaghetti, turns off The Newsroom and answers. "Hello? Hillary?"

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

The phone rings in the Luntz manse. He puts down his plate of spaghetti, turns off The Newsroom and answers. "Hello? Hillary?"

God that profile was the saddest thing

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OAquinas posted:

Single Payer will not be seriously considered on the federal level until well after a few states get it set up on their own

and half of Congress is replaced.

:smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chokes McGee posted:

and half of Congress is replaced.

:smith:

...Optimistically.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Robert Gates wrote a memoir. Here's his take on Biden:

quote:

Mr. Gates calls Mr. Biden “a man of integrity,” but he questions the vice president’s judgment. “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades,” Mr. Gates writes.

quote:

Though the book simmers with disappointment in Obama, it reflects outright contempt for Vice President Joe Biden and many of Obama’s top aides.

Biden is accused of “poisoning the well” against the military leadership. Thomas Donilon, initially Obama’s deputy national security adviser, and then-Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute, the White House coordinator for the wars, are described as regularly engaged in “aggressive, suspicious, and sometimes condescending and insulting questioning of our military leaders.”

And on Hillary:

quote:

Gates offers a catalogue of various meetings, based in part on notes that he and his aides made at the time, including an exchange between Obama and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that he calls “remarkable.”

He writes: “Hillary told the president that her opposition to the [2007] surge in Iraq had been political because she was facing him in the Iowa primary. . . . The president conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political. To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

Earlier in the book, he describes Hillary Clinton in the sort of glowing terms that might be used in a political endorsement. “I found her smart, idealistic but pragmatic, tough-minded, indefatigable, funny, a very valuable colleague, and a superb representative of the United States all over the world,” he wrote.

Up to you how much credit you give a former SecDef, DCI, and head of the NSA.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 7, 2014

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Insurance companies aren't going to go out of business, they'll switch to higher profit things like being able to not cover basic things and instead charge absurd premiums to get people access to luxury hospitals and crap like that. With the deadweight of the millions of people who need normal healthcare off their books, they'll do fine.

If someone is rich enough to afford super-luxury private health insurance, aren't they rich enough to pay out of pocket? Why have insurance at all at that point?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Joementum posted:

Robert Gates wrote a memoir. Here's his take on Biden:

Up to you how much credit you give a former SecDef, DCI, and head of the NSA.

Glowing treatment of longtime friend Hillary, biting resentment towards Biden? I'm sure there's no ulterior motive here.

Corrupt Politician posted:

If someone is rich enough to afford super-luxury private health insurance, aren't they rich enough to pay out of pocket? Why have insurance at all at that point?

There's ubermegarich, then there's very comfortable/upper middle class where you can afford platinum insurance premiums but maybe not multimillion dollar treatment. Its also assumed they'd get expedited/premium care. Very niche, but definitely a viable market.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 7, 2014

feller
Jul 5, 2006

And when they dick you over and refuse to cover your procedure, you've got a failsafe. It's perfect! for them

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

I could see a private hospital only accept certain premium insurance schemes (maybe even only one they offer). Make is fancy enough, with some name recognition and then it's a keeping up with the Jones' situation.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
These sorts of premium insurance programs are popular in Canada where they're practical and legal. Granted, they have drug insurance programs that lots of people use everywhere as a reliable bread and butter product.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rich people prefer to not use their own money and insurance is one way to do that!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duz posted:

Rich people prefer to not use their own money and insurance is one way to do that!

Also money is worth more if you have to pay it all at once compared with annuities like premiums.

If you make 5% annually on investments then the $1 million you have in the bank will give you more money by investing it and paying $1000/month in premiums for health insurance compared with spending $1 million for a surgery.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

That's pretty crazy. I kind of hoped both Obama and Hillary were better than that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress?

quote:

Though the book simmers with disappointment in Obama, it reflects outright contempt for Vice President Joe Biden and many of Obama’s top aides.

Biden is accused of “poisoning the well” against the military leadership. Thomas Donilon, initially Obama’s deputy national security adviser, and then-Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute, the White House coordinator for the wars, are described as regularly engaged in “aggressive, suspicious, and sometimes condescending and insulting questioning of our military leaders.”

If you can't "aggressively question" Our Military Leaders in loving Cabinet and NatSec meetings, when the gently caress can you question them??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I like the part where an active Lieutenant General's questioning is implicitly seditious as well.

• Locked thread