Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
The Cadillac deal is no longer available, and it appears that neither is the one from IZOD (it looks a whole lot like the "free" 3 month membership to iRacing is gained by paying them 35 bucks for their "Champion Membership" to whatever Indy Car Digital Magazine or something). It is looking like the best deal to give iRacing a try is 50% off of a 1 month membership which comes to 6 bucks (only valid for new accounts).

I think I'm going to pass on even that. I have plenty of content with AC and Race '07 (plus all of its add-ons and user made content), and frankly AI cars are still having no problem beating all of my times... no reason to subject myself to human opponents just yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praqzis
Dec 20, 2013

It's got a 28.8 bps modem!

Essobie posted:

The Cadillac deal is no longer available, and it appears that neither is the one from IZOD (it looks a whole lot like the "free" 3 month membership to iRacing is gained by paying them 35 bucks for their "Champion Membership" to whatever Indy Car Digital Magazine or something). It is looking like the best deal to give iRacing a try is 50% off of a 1 month membership which comes to 6 bucks (only valid for new accounts).

I think I'm going to pass on even that. I have plenty of content with AC and Race '07 (plus all of its add-ons and user made content), and frankly AI cars are still having no problem beating all of my times... no reason to subject myself to human opponents just yet!

That's a bummer, I was going to try it out via those deals. As I'm not planning on buying a wheel either, I suppose I will pass too.

Speaking of SimBin games (Race 07) and online racing, is anybody doing RaceRoom Experience from those same guys? I was thinking of checking that out in the hopes it might be some good online racing. I definitely like the sound of how iRacing rewards clean racing and am curious if any other games do this as well...

Praqzis
Dec 20, 2013

An Enormous Boner posted:

Don't do this. You can almost certainly find a DFGT for less than $100 somewhere.
If I can't blow the money on a g27, is a DFGT sufficient for things like iRacing? Turns out there are some local ones I might be able to snag for under $100...

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Praqzis posted:

That's a bummer, I was going to try it out via those deals. As I'm not planning on buying a wheel either, I suppose I will pass too.

Speaking of SimBin games (Race 07) and online racing, is anybody doing RaceRoom Experience from those same guys? I was thinking of checking that out in the hopes it might be some good online racing. I definitely like the sound of how iRacing rewards clean racing and am curious if any other games do this as well...

I don't think RaceRoom has any SP or MP content at all. Other the time trials by yourself. Mind you its been a month or so since I tried it last.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Praqzis posted:

If I can't blow the money on a g27, is a DFGT sufficient for things like iRacing? Turns out there are some local ones I might be able to snag for under $100...

The pedals have extremely soft springs and no clutch, but the wheel itself is high quality for the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Essobie posted:

A lot of people are slower than AI. You think you're very slow at something but you'll see people even slower than you. If you can wait for about 11 months, iRacing does a deal for a whole year at half off (unlimited amount of years can be bought) the week of thanksgiving until the first week of December.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Praqzis posted:

Absolutely. It's a perfect beginner's wheel. Use it for 6 months, and if you get even more into sim racing, resell it and grab a G27 after you've had the chance to save your money.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Just finished my first iRacing race :). Finished 10th but was involved in a wreck, someone was passing me inside and I felt I was losing the car and overcorrected and took him out, I was 5th at the moment, I should have slowed down :smith:. I also lost control when a really slow car entered my lane from the pit, I saw him coming out but didn't think he would jump in front of me.

On the upside, I managed to dodge a wreck by slowing down and taking the time to see what's going on. All in all, pretty fun.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Anybody with GTR2 and Race 07 have some recommendations for good mods? I figured I'd check what was available, and there's just a bewildering array of stuff available. I'm interested in open-wheel stuff for GTR2 like F1 1988, ChampCar 05-06, etc., are these any good? How about the SuperGT stuff? And are there any convenient track packs or bundles for some of these added series?

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a controller now, because the G25 I got given as an early Christmas present was a spare one my friend had sitting around, and now it's completely non-functional and well out of warranty :( So my iRacing sub is sitting a bit idle right now since the controller is a bit twitchy with it, but I can get Race 07 and GTR2 controlling pretty well with it.

Are there any tweaks for using a controller with iRacing that might help? I can get to within about 0.5 of my usual lap times when I was using the wheel, but consistency is a real problem, and it seems to occasionally flick the steering around randomly when the analog stick is centred.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9Zj8j-9Xc

Another AI test in Assetto. God drat that looks good.

Praqzis
Dec 20, 2013

Nerdrock posted:

Absolutely. It's a perfect beginner's wheel. Use it for 6 months, and if you get even more into sim racing, resell it and grab a G27 after you've had the chance to save your money.

Well, that didn't take long. I went ahead and managed to snag a Logitech DGFT (and home-made stand) for $80 this evening from Craigslist. I can't wait to hook it up later tonight and give it a whirl. I figure I will spin up Race 07 first for some Monza lapping. Now I'm kind of wishing I grabbed AC when it was on sale over Christmas. But with the wheel, I may go ahead and give iRacing a shot now (one month can't hurt). Please let me be able to protect my wallet because "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!"

Of course, this means I also have a wheel now for Euro Truck Simulator and Gran Turismo 6. Not sure how much I'll play GT6 with some of these great PC racing games I have.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

If you can get into iRacing do it. I joined a couple days ago and the Rookie Series is the most infuriatingly fun thing ever. The only advice I can give you is drive slow and avoid the retards.

Praqzis
Dec 20, 2013

Polidoro posted:

If you can get into iRacing do it. I joined a couple days ago and the Rookie Series is the most infuriatingly fun thing ever. The only advice I can give you is drive slow and avoid the retards.

I'll definitely give it a shot if I can tomorrow. Did some runs on Monza in RACE 07 tonight. Wowzers. I'm SOOOO glad I bought this thing :). It's like a completely different experience (<-- obvious) using a wheel w/ FFB versus a controller. And, well, I totally suck now. I'm going to have to spend some time re-learning how to do race games with this thing. I certainly am enjoying the purchase already.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Been doing a 2008 WTCC Championship Race in Rac07 and found myself getting into it pretty heavily. I'm using mouse steering while I start putting together my racing rig, but even with that its tons of fun.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Just racked up enough SR in oval to get out of rookies!!! :toot: After getting out of rookie road, rookie oval was no big deal. I used to be pretty road/rally elitist but oval racing is fun as poo poo. I can definitely foresee budgeting issues in the future trying to balance road and oval purchases.

Is it just me or are the laser-scanned tracks in iRacing just amazing? Brands Hatch was always one of my favorite tracks in Race07 but the first time I saw that huge drop after turn 1 in iRacing my jaw hit the floor. Going back to Race is hugely disappointing... it's like the mappers just made the general shape and then just made it nice to drive on. You never worry about road contour in Race. iRacing road circuits are like, "I poo poo cars... what now?!" Being forced to engage on that level of detail just brings the whole experience home in a way I haven't felt since RBR.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Say hello to the corkscrew at Laguna Seca for me.
(or the one at Bathurst.. They're both bastards.)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I feel in iRacing like the tracks are a competitor driving against me just as much as any car, I don't tend to feel like that in other games.

Corkscrew for me is pretty much... Stay left on entry and get in 3rd at about 55mph, then I aim for a tree dead centre of my horoizon, that guides me round enough to where I turn hard right then floor it out.
Works for me!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I feel in iRacing like the tracks are a competitor driving against me just as much as any car, I don't tend to feel like that in other games.

Have you played rFactor 2?

quote:

Corkscrew for me is pretty much... Stay left on entry and get in 3rd at about 55mph, then I aim for a tree dead centre of my horoizon, that guides me round enough to where I turn hard right then floor it out.
Works for me!

Yeah, everyone aims for a certain tree, it seems. This video is good, for anyone that wants a little ridealong with tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr-NV3dVhkc

Remember that it's a left-right, even though it seems like it's not, sort of.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 6, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've played the demo or rfactor 2, I really need to put more time into it.
What the gently caress were they thinking though having the demo be Corvettes at Lime Rock? Anyone who has played iRacing is going to do what I did and instantly think 'meeeeeehhhhhhhhh' because we are all so used to the iRacing version.

I have promised myself I'll give it another proper go though.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

peter gabriel posted:

I've played the demo or rfactor 2, I really need to put more time into it.
What the gently caress were they thinking though having the demo be Corvettes at Lime Rock? Anyone who has played iRacing is going to do what I did and instantly think 'meeeeeehhhhhhhhh' because we are all so used to the iRacing version.

I have promised myself I'll give it another proper go though.

FYI the next version of the demo is supposed to be the BTCC Civic, not sure on the track.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I haven't tried the Civic yet, but I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it as I do love the idea of the Rfactor mod scene.
So little time these days!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

An Enormous Boner posted:

I haven't tried the Civic yet, but I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

Is this something you can do in any racing sim that exists? It seems like if you get to that position (which I get into all the time because I'm bad!), there simply no way that tires that are realigned with forward motion ever get their grip back. That is an awesome save, for sure.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Anyone playing Assetto Corsa? I've got 25 hours logged so far in this hotlap sim, and I am pretty bad at it! Check out my abysmal laptimes here.

The Joux Plane port from RBR is loads of fun, though I am pretty terrible at it. Hope Kunos' opposition to porting content doesn't stop people from doing it...

Here's a video I made of how the (disabled without messing with cfg's) AI acts currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3jcNrXDq-c

e: Seriously though the tire physics in AC are so good.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 7, 2014

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Essobie posted:

Is this something you can do in any racing sim that exists? It seems like if you get to that position (which I get into all the time because I'm bad!), there simply no way that tires that are realigned with forward motion ever get their grip back. That is an awesome save, for sure.

Sure, you can kinda do it with the FXO in LFS and I bet you can with the Civic in rF2. There really aren't many FWD touring cars in sims, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only reason why he was able to do that is because it's FWD. In a front drive car you just steer into the skid and mash the gas. Eventually the front tires get some grip, start moving faster than the rears and it goes right way forward again.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Anyone play iRacing in Australia? Is the crowd decent? Might pick it up if I upgrade to a g27.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Does iRacing group people by region? I've never seen people from my region in any race.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Barnsy posted:

Anyone play iRacing in Australia? Is the crowd decent? Might pick it up if I upgrade to a g27.

There are a lot of Australian players. During timezones that favor EU or AUS/NZ players, the quality of racing goes way up (especially in rookies). In US timezone, I can finish on the podium by dodging all the wreckage... but against everyone else I average 8th or 9th because they're mostly clean drivers and I am slow. The crowd is more friendly too.

Polidoro posted:

Does iRacing group people by region? I've never seen people from my region in any race.

Not at all. I race people from everywhere, in spite of ping and all the usual things that would be useful to separate by. It's just determined by iRating... and to some extent what time people are playing around the world.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Yes, and its perfect.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I want this guys setup so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-IChA-NIeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFutO8GzWXk

The wheel BASE alone is like over 4000$. But the performance looks so good. He claims that it's 8x as powerful as a G27. I wouldn't mind his pedal setup either. Load cell able to be set to read 250lbs of pressure? Yes please.

I don't care that the rig is made out of wood. That wheel looks fantastic. Too bad it's almost 5x the price of a Fanatec. :(

I want to upgrade my G25. If LFS and iRacing are to be believed, I've logged at least 60,000miles of racing in my G25. And that is only counting online...

I'd love to upgrade. But to move away from the G25, I want a substantial upgrade.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Regarding wheel strength, what is the advantages/disadvantages to the amount of FFB strength on the wheel? It seems like you, as a player, would only want as much strength as it would take to give you the feedback you need to understand when you are going to lose grip or hit curbs or whatever... but watching those videos with a guy who's entire loving bedroom is shaking as he tries to wrangle in that mid-80s F1 car makes me think there's some benefit to struggling with the wheel like it was even more difficult than one in real life.

I guess the thing I should be asking is... do F1 cars from the 80s just not have power steering at all and he's just trying to "simulate" the real thing?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ziploc posted:

I want this guys setup so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-IChA-NIeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFutO8GzWXk

The wheel BASE alone is like over 4000$. But the performance looks so good. He claims that it's 8x as powerful as a G27. I wouldn't mind his pedal setup either. Load cell able to be set to read 250lbs of pressure? Yes please.

I don't care that the rig is made out of wood. That wheel looks fantastic. Too bad it's almost 5x the price of a Fanatec. :(

I want to upgrade my G25. If LFS and iRacing are to be believed, I've logged at least 60,000miles of racing in my G25. And that is only counting online...

I'd love to upgrade. But to move away from the G25, I want a substantial upgrade.
This guy is pretty drat good.. Those cars are insane.

I've got a G25 and a Fanatec CSR-E, and the CSR-E + Clubsport pedals is a huge upgrade. Maybe not quite the same as upgrading to this guy's setup though.
Fanatec replaced the CSR-E with the Clubsport Wheel Base, but it's the same body/internals.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I wrapped up Version 1 of my cockpit this weekend. It's based on the Simul8r mkII plans.

The wheel was too high, so I lowered and angled it, but that made it too low for my angled seat rails. Next will be to install the seat rails, tilt the seat back a bit, and raise the tabletop to compensate so my knees don't get splinters. That together should improve the pedal geometry.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Nice. I see you went with screws instead of glue. I watched the Inside Sim Racing guys put one of those together and the whole time I'm cringing because they were using plumbing glue on that (and the poo poo dries in like 4 seconds or something).

How much do those chairs run, anyway?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Essobie posted:

Nice. I see you went with screws instead of glue. I watched the Inside Sim Racing guys put one of those together and the whole time I'm cringing because they were using plumbing glue on that (and the poo poo dries in like 4 seconds or something).

How much do those chairs run, anyway?

That chair wasn't much, I think the chair and sliding mounting rails together were about 60 bucks or something. It's rough on the back, though - adding a thin pillow next time.

This doesn't fit through an interior doorway in one piece, and I knew I would be tinkering with it, so I used screws. I ran out of juice in the drill, so I didn't get three screws in any of the joints like I will eventually, but it's still really stable. I was somewhat able to drift for the Assetto Corsa challenges, and I have been using heel-toe in AC and rF2, neither of which I could do before this setup.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just starting out with iRacing. While the whole principle is great and the sim feels pretty decent, how did you guys not shoot yourselves trying to get your initial safety rating up?! I just had a near perfect race but got taken out twice (guy was stopped and facing me, accelerated into my drive line, and then a guy with a barely functioning car hogs the road before braking in the middle of a straight). Still managed to end up 2nd, but lose safety points because of those two incidents.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 13, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The trick I've found is actually shooting myself.

Also do qualifiers and TT'sw

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Google Butt posted:

The trick I've found is actually shooting myself.

Also do qualifiers and TT'sw

I've done a decent qualifier. TTs don't seem to be worth it though, even with an 8 lap clean run you only get ~0.02 safety rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're in rookie, you can either have SR or a good race, not both. Either focus on getting your SR up, or focus on racing well. You can have both once you get out of rookie.

• Locked thread