Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Are the gems completely removed then? Couldn't they be pokebanked over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ Bank does not support item storage of any kind.

While XY haven't been hacked, it is likely that the Gems are still in the coding and available if they ever distribute them. The Normal Gem can be found in the game right now.

But considering that Gems have also been nerfed to provide a laughable bonus, what's the loving point?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Don't forgot the buffs to Ghost Gen VI making them arguably the strongest typing now (mostly just basing this on Gengar).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shogunate posted:

Don't forgot the buffs to Ghost Gen VI making them arguably the strongest typing now (mostly just basing this on Gengar).

I really need to get a ghost type on my team. What's considered the better ones in the game right now?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zoness posted:

'Minor' Changes in Gen VI:

1. Fairy Type (indirectly nerfing Dark, Dragon, Fighting)
2. Steel Type nerfs (man who uses steel types anyway)
3. Mega Evolutions
4. Sleep Changes
5. Removing permanent weather
6. New moves/abilities (Gale Wings, Sticky Web, X-ilate)
7. Removal of gems
8. Across-the-board lowering of base power on common special coverage moves

All of these changes touch on important elements in the competitive scene in Gen V and shape the competitive scene in Gen VI, so I'm going to have to say that calling them minor changes is pretty ridiculous.

Might as well call non-banned weather setters from Gen VI to Gen V minor as well :psyduck: (psyduck don't care about weather) or Gems or [other things].

I mean like the core mechanics. I would say Mega Evolutions are probably the biggest change, as opposed to a balance tweak. I want them to be more extreme with the changes. I'm honestly sick of the limitations of forcing connectivity with the previous 3 generations, in regards to how base stats work. I want entire moves reworked completely, and bigger type changes. It's cool that they changed a few base stats, but I'd like them to do more of that in a bigger way. The changes to crits was a good change as well.

I just want more fundamental changes to the actual gameplay of Pokemon. I have to admit it was unfair to call those balance changes "minor", but they're still just balance changes. I'd like the next gen to completely cut off connectivity with the old gens so they wouldn't have to worry about bringing weird things from past gens back in.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

TaurusOxford posted:

I really need to get a ghost type on my team. What's considered the better ones in the game right now?

I'm right there with you. Ghost has always appealed to me as a type, but none of them call out to me save for Mismagius (I already have 4 Special Attackers on my team) and Gourgeist (I already have enough Ice weakness, too). I'm just waiting for the inevitable Normal/Ghost type that's a classic sheet-over-the-head ghost :ghost:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Sableye has done work for me in OU and I've managed to lose to one in Ubers (I got outstalled by one using a bulky Yveltal and it crit me with 4 foul plays before it would have otherwise run out of foul plays).

Gengar is amazing, having a lot more sets in the VGC and Ubers formats thanks to Gengarite but Subdisable Gengar, Specs Gengar, and LO Gengar still all work just fine.

Aegislash is also pretty cool, despite a rather limited movepool it has strong enough stats to do work as a pivot.

Chandelure is awesome - it's a strong check to sun teams in VGC and a solid revenge killer against things that don't pack sucker punch in singles. Also punishes the heck out of Sableye unless predicted properly.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wish that normal Rotom's stats weren't so low because I really like the electric/ghost typing and how Rotom looks but it's just not strong or fast enough in that form.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm also going to throw one in for Trevenant who can become a seriously annoying wall (and surprising good wall breaker with Curse) if allowed to set up. Plus it's a spooky ghost tree, it's great :ghost:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Constable Lemon posted:

I mean like the core mechanics. I would say Mega Evolutions are probably the biggest change, as opposed to a balance tweak. I want them to be more extreme with the changes. I'm honestly sick of the limitations of forcing connectivity with the previous 3 generations, in regards to how base stats work. I want entire moves reworked completely, and bigger type changes. It's cool that they changed a few base stats, but I'd like them to do more of that in a bigger way. The changes to crits was a good change as well.

I just want more fundamental changes to the actual gameplay of Pokemon. I have to admit it was unfair to call those balance changes "minor", but they're still just balance changes. I'd like the next gen to completely cut off connectivity with the old gens so they wouldn't have to worry about bringing weird things from past gens back in.

If that's what you want then I think you're going to be waiting a long time. I think GF are more interested in refining the game than in making sweeping changes to it. They make innovations like Mega Evolutions occasionally, but that's about as "extreme" as they get.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've heard good things about Trevenant and his Harvest ability. Dusclops is fantastically tanky with eviolite. Mega Banette has a huge attack stat and a good ability in Prankster.

And Golurk is a goddamn ghost robot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Drifblim, I hear, is if nothing else a good Baton Passer. Also CRITICALLY ADORABLE so you should use Drifblim.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Mega Banette has a huge attack stat and a good ability in Prankster.

The main problem I have with Mega Banette and Prankster is that at least on Showdown Prankster doesn't activate on the turn you Mega Evolve, so you can't use say +1 Destiny Bond on that turn which is really annoying.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Shogunate posted:

The main problem I have with Mega Banette and Prankster is that at least on Showdown Prankster doesn't activate on the turn you Mega Evolve, so you can't use say +1 Destiny Bond on that turn which is really annoying.

That's the proper handling in-game as well. Turn order is determined immediately after move inputs (with proper handling for things like after you and quash) so any changes to speed/priority happening on the turn of a mega-evolution aren't counted.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Showdown has some really dumb bugs.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-75490952

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Nihilarian posted:

And Golurk is a goddamn ghost robot.

Golurk was my favorite ghost in Gen V, and my dedicated user of Fly. Then they came out with Trevenant and M-Gengar.

Zoness posted:

Sableye has done work for me in OU and I've managed to lose to one in Ubers (I got outstalled by one using a bulky Yveltal and it crit me with 4 foul plays before it would have otherwise run out of foul plays).

Sableye has been my favorite guy to use on PS, and he has stopped far more than his fair share of Sweepers and Speed Boosters.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Zoness posted:

2. Steel Type nerfs (man who uses steel types anyway)

I played against someone who had an all-steel team. Once I killed his Heatran, I swept the rest of his team with Chandelure.

I can't tell if I played this one well or if my opponent was just terrible (Thunderpunch on an Alakazam?)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75490710

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Thunder Punch on Alakazam means he hasn't revisited combat mechanics since... Gen 1? Gen 2?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Gen 3 I think punch alakazam was still awesome.

Rip MkieTyson a pretty good alakazam

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shogunate posted:

What's that, I can't use this cheesy combo right out of the gate, I have to clear a small hurdle first to set it up? What is this bullshit Game Freak?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hammerite posted:

What's that, I can't use this cheesy combo right out of the gate, I have to clear a small hurdle first to set it up? What is this bullshit Game Freak?

Won't deny it's cheesy and I was never calling bullshit, I just didn't like finding this out when I was playing around with Mega Banette on Showdown and thought that Mega Evolution occured before anything in the turn order, even ablities. If it where like this I'm sure Mega Banette would shoot up fast in usability, how it is now though makes having Prankster a nice bonus but it's a weak Prankster choice compared to others.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hammerite posted:

Its not a small hurdle, losing out on your priority matters a lot, even if its only for one turn.

VVV There is 0 reason for Mega Banette to not get his turn 1 prankster boost. No other mega doesn't have their ability kick in until the next turn.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
To be fair though, it is odd that everything else takes effect on the mega turn. That the game can't recalculate turn order because of a base stat increase or ability change when it can recalculate damage based on the same changes is kinda dumb, or oddly programmed.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MustelaFuro posted:

I hate to be the rear end in a top hat who quotes themselves, but, anyone?

The link leads to an empty, post-match room. I think you copied the wrong link.

Sup Contrary Victini bro :hfive:

Rain teams can ususally give my team problems, but I find that leading with Mienshao and Heracross is a good counter to them because they can do stuff like this: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75497110

Also, I was really proud of this battle. Skillswapping Contrary fell apart, but a clutch Skill Swap on a Mega-Mawile was able to overcome some bad luck and lead to a victory http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75497384

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shogunate posted:

Won't deny it's cheesy and I was never calling bullshit, I just didn't like finding this out when I was playing around with Mega Banette on Showdown and thought that Mega Evolution occured before anything in the turn order, even ablities. If it where like this I'm sure Mega Banette would shoot up fast in usability, how it is now though makes having Prankster a nice bonus but it's a weak Prankster choice compared to others.

I'm only joking. It just amused me to read your post because priority Destiny Bond is super good.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not a small hurdle, losing out on your priority matters a lot, even if its only for one turn.

VVV There is 0 reason for Mega Banette to not get his turn 1 prankster boost. No other mega doesn't have their ability kick in until the next turn.

Doesn't Parental Bond on M-KKhan and Mold Breaker on M-Gyarados also not kick in until a turn later?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

Doesn't Parental Bond on M-KKhan and Mold Breaker on M-Gyarados also not kick in until a turn later?

No, only things that would change turn order (i.e. speed changes and gaining/losing priority abilities), because turn order is calc'd before the m-evo step.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoness posted:

No, only things that would change turn order, because turn order is calc'd before the m-evo step.

Right, which is why you'll also see stuff like Thunder Wave-ing an opponent in Doubles and still having them go not-last in the turn (I know paralysis doesn't equal "go last" but you know what I mean), the turn order was already decided.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zoness posted:

No, only things that would change turn order, because turn order is calc'd before the m-evo step.

Which is dumb, since it results in Banette not getting any use out of its ability until the next turn. So if the enemy happens to lead with pokemon Banette's offensive tools aren't great against, its out of luck since it can't use its status moves with priority. To make matters worse you can't mega evolve and then switch either, so if you pull Banette out on turn 1 it just has the same problem later. The only way to let it safely use all its moves properly is to protect on the mega turn, but running protect on a prankster isn't desirable since they lose out on another tool.

He's still usable but he'd be way better if he didn't have this arbitrary limitation.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Countblanc posted:

Right, which is why you'll also see stuff like Thunder Wave-ing an opponent in Doubles and still having them go not-last in the turn (I know paralysis doesn't equal "go last" but you know what I mean), the turn order was already decided.

Yes but you have to mega your own Pokemon, Thunder Wave can miss under a few circumstances but you can't miss mega evolution. It's decided once you pick your move, So once the animation plays, before everything else, it can still recalculate the turn order there. Currently we have a Pokemon becoming faster on mega evolution, except not really.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 7, 2014

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I just now found out about that quirk in how the game determines turn order today. Could not for the life of me figure out how a Mega-Kangaskhan outsped my Mega-Houndoom: even with identical investments in speed, Houndoom beats it in either form. Unless it's already evolved, and you haven't. M-Kanga has 5 more points in base speed than an unevolved Houndoom.

R.I.P Jezebel. You died so that others might learn about obscure edge cases in game mechanics. Godspeed! :911:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Yeah, it counts any speed increase from mega evolving AFTER you Mega Evolve. It's...really loving weird.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Zoness posted:

Gengar is amazing, having a lot more sets in the VGC and Ubers formats thanks to Gengarite but Subdisable Gengar, Specs Gengar, and LO Gengar still all work just fine.

Aegislash is also pretty cool, despite a rather limited movepool it has strong enough stats to do work as a pivot.

Chandelure is awesome - it's a strong check to sun teams in VGC and a solid revenge killer against things that don't pack sucker punch in singles. Also punishes the heck out of Sableye unless predicted properly.

Aegislash is good but his big problem is that when he's good he's great, but when he's not good he's pretty much dead weight, I find.

EDIT HAHA DOUBLE POST. poo poo.

Well at any rate, I'm trying to start a competitive team. But all my loving friends have lovely Friend Safaris.
:colbert: I need better friends.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Unbound posted:

Sableye has been my favorite guy to use on PS, and he has stopped far more than his fair share of Sweepers and Speed Boosters.

The best part is when Sableye solos an entire (bad) team. :allears:

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Zoooooooom

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

dude789 posted:

Sup Contrary Victini bro :hfive:

Rain teams can ususally give my team problems, but I find that leading with Mienshao and Heracross is a good counter to them because they can do stuff like this: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75497110

Also, I was really proud of this battle. Skillswapping Contrary fell apart, but a clutch Skill Swap on a Mega-Mawile was able to overcome some bad luck and lead to a victory http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75497384

I like your fake out Spinda idea. I decided to swap out Malimar for a Shuckle with max Def and SpD and gaurd swap for an instant huge boost to Victini's defenses. To counter rain teams I threw sunny day on my Whimsicot (and charm too to boost Victini's attack). Having a bulky Latias with heal pulse to heal Victini has been a godsend. And Mega Aerodactyl with wide guard and sky drop has won me many battles as an unconventional support Pokemon.

My team's biggest down fall now is dealing with walls. My only truly offensive Pokemon is Aerodactyl; everyone else has defensive EV builds.

What do you use for your other 2 move slots on Victini?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Classtoise posted:

Aegislash is good but his big problem is that when he's good he's great, but when he's not good he's pretty much dead weight, I find.

EDIT HAHA DOUBLE POST. poo poo.

Well at any rate, I'm trying to start a competitive team. But all my loving friends have lovely Friend Safaris.
:colbert: I need better friends.

Hey man, you don't choose the lovely Friend Safari life, the lovely Friend Safari life chooses you.

(Stunfisk is so, so bad. It has Limber even though it can't be paralyzed.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't feel bad about how this ended at all.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-75513404

His team is the most tryhard poo poo around. He should of won anyways but hosed it up for himself.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hey man, you don't choose the lovely Friend Safari life, the lovely Friend Safari life chooses you.

(Stunfisk is so, so bad. It has Limber even though it can't be paralyzed.)

Probably because Electric-type immunity to paralysis was just introduced this gen. They should really change that to something else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Nah, Rotom-F now has competition for the most worthless useful ability.

• Locked thread