Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It still is odd though that toku seems to have seen its ratings fall so much (supposedly due to streaming, etc) but other shows haven't. Even if its just the miserable timeslot why doesn't the stuff on at the same time on other channels or immediately after it suffer the same fate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

Keep in mind that while the ratings of Kyoryuger started higher, they've since dropped even lower. Kyoryuger is the opposite of dark, and yet it's still on track to be the lowest rated season ever. It's tremendously difficult to argue that Go-Busters' failure was related to its content anymore.

What about the all-important toy sales figures? Who cares if it gets low ratings if the toys sell, right?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

It's pretty clear the reason sentai is doing bad in the ratings is because it's aired right against Pokemon. Even the subbers of the show have a hard time watching sentai live vs Pokemon.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah I agree. It reminds me of wrestling where the main demo is supposed to be kids but the ratings are falling but merch and such are doing great.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

A lot of kids found the story depressing as hell

I keep hearing stuff like this, but not actually any source for it.

Speaking of which, do we know how Gaim is doing?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HKR posted:

It's pretty clear the reason sentai is doing bad in the ratings is because it's aired right against Pokemon. Even the subbers of the show have a hard time watching sentai live vs Pokemon.

That's been the trend at least. Once Pokemon got onto the same slot as Sentai, the ratings took a huge hit. I'd theorize the slide might have been due to the release of X/Y or something but I don't know where to look at the numbers (or tell if they're the right numbers).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope the Toku execs have a brain and don't rely on ratings because you can't loving win against Pokemon, especially in Japan. Possibly worse than Who's Line Is It Anyways pitted against Friends in its prime.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

To be fair there's no merchandise blitz like a Bandai merchandise blitz.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm pretty sure Toei cares more about toy sales than ratings, and IIRC, the reason why Go-Busters is considered to have underperformed is that its toys sold less than expected, rather than the (constantly in decline) ratings. Which is sad, because I still consider it a pretty good Sentai.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm on episode 19 of Blade

mutseki can go gently caress himself

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

:allears:

Do tell.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure Toei cares more about toy sales than ratings, and IIRC, the reason why Go-Busters is considered to have underperformed is that its toys sold less than expected, rather than the (constantly in decline) ratings. Which is sad, because I still consider it a pretty good Sentai.

Toei would certainly prefer good ratings too, but it's worth remembering that TV Asahi is part of the production committee too. They aren't just being paid to broadcast like late night anime, they have skin in the game.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Race Realists posted:

I'm on episode 19 of Blade

mutseki can go gently caress himself

Fact: This opinion will not change even slightly over the course of the show. Mutsuki doesn't get his act together for about 25 more episodes. Enjoy. I like Blade but Leangle is seriously the worst secondary/tiertiary rider.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Man, can you imagine how loving short Blade would be without the loving Remote card.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also, yeah, Sentai has basically been in the ratings dumps since Gokai because that's when they started having to compete with Pokemon Sundays. I thought everyone knew that one, at least.

Alternatively, oddball sensibilities between East and West. I know apparently Fourze bombed, maybe not as hard as Go-Bus, but a noticable amount that they tried to play it safe with Wizard, and that just straight-up baffles me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its been in the dump since Shinkenger ended actually, from what I gather. Even then that season was a rare return to ratings form, supposedly, after Geki and Go-On.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You know I usually Hate the Older Rider Themed Merchandise for shows but the Kuuga Lock seed is something amazing that I might have to get.

The weapon! Holy poo poo it's the best thing :allears:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hay what's going on in here? Can I come?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

AzraelNewtype posted:

Toei would certainly prefer good ratings too, but it's worth remembering that TV Asahi is part of the production committee too. They aren't just being paid to broadcast like late night anime, they have skin in the game.

Yeah, I remember saying something about toy sales being important before, and the response I got is that Bandai can just make toys on their own without a show. Having a show advertising them helps, but I guess there comes a point where if the ratings are too bad it's more financially viable for them to just drop the show and try to sell the toys in and of themselves.

And it really is a shame that Sentai is doing so bad ratings-wise especially since I feel Kyoryuger is one of the best.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, I remember saying something about toy sales being important before, and the response I got is that Bandai can just make toys on their own without a show. Having a show advertising them helps, but I guess there comes a point where if the ratings are too bad it's more financially viable for them to just drop the show and try to sell the toys in and of themselves.

And it really is a shame that Sentai is doing so bad ratings-wise especially since I feel Kyoryuger is one of the best.
They'll move the timeslot before they end the show.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They'll move the timeslot before they end the show.

They should move Super Hero Time back or forward an hour and see if not competing with Pokemon will sort out their ratings.

It probably will.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cernunnos posted:

They should move Super Hero Time back or forward an hour and see if not competing with Pokemon will sort out their ratings.

It probably will.

That second one might be a good idea. It would put Saint Seiya Omega in competition with Pokemon, but considering how well animated a lot of its episodes are at the moment Toei almost seems ready to write it off already.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

That second one might be a good idea. It would put Saint Seiya Omega in competition with Pokemon, but considering how well animated a lot of its episodes are at the moment Toei almost seems ready to write it off already.

Which is sad since the series is at its best moment yet, but the animation is awful. The next episode is plot-critical and they got the worst animator they got in the entire series for gently caress's sake.

Also wasn't Sentai at a later timeslot at a certain point in time? I remember reading that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So it's come to my attention that Changeman is considered lost, or isn't known to be completely subbed.

As it so happens, I have all of Changeman subbed on my computer-the first 11 or so episodes (8 I think?) are TV-Nihon, and the rest were done by Dead Fish Fansubs which has ceased to be.

I'm planning to put these up on a certain piratey site for a friend and was wondering if I should pass along a link for others to pick up or if that'd be :filez:

If it is, PM me and I'll send a link along when it's ready. It's honestly criminal that I alone should hold the honor of witnessing the full glory of Changeman.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

So it's come to my attention that Changeman is considered lost, or isn't known to be completely subbed.

As it so happens, I have all of Changeman subbed on my computer-the first 11 or so episodes (8 I think?) are TV-Nihon, and the rest were done by Dead Fish Fansubs which has ceased to be.

I'm planning to put these up on a certain piratey site for a friend and was wondering if I should pass along a link for others to pick up or if that'd be :filez:

If it is, PM me and I'll send a link along when it's ready. It's honestly criminal that I alone should hold the honor of witnessing the full glory of Changeman.

You should talk to the guy at krdl to get them up there. I'm not sure what the submission guidelines are for nyaa, but there would be another place.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As it turns out, I 'only' have 54 out of 55 episodes. Apparently Dead Fish never did episode 21. Literally never realized that til I saw the torrent files. I'll look into getting it to the guy who runs KRDL later on, tonight requires sleep.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So is the whole lack of communication causes tragedy some sort go to plot in toku? I remember there being gratuitous amounts of it in Kabuto, I'm seeing it pretty frequently as I work my way Kyoryuger (though thankfully they tend to subvert it with Daigo,) and the latest few episodes of Gaim seem to be leading up to it.

I guess it might just be a common plot in most media, but it seems to be more common in what little toku I've seen than most.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

So is the whole lack of communication causes tragedy some sort go to plot in toku? I remember there being gratuitous amounts of it in Kabuto, I'm seeing it pretty frequently as I work my way Kyoryuger (though thankfully they tend to subvert it with Daigo,) and the latest few episodes of Gaim seem to be leading up to it.

I guess it might just be a common plot in most media, but it seems to be more common in what little toku I've seen than most.

Holy gently caress is it ever in Kamen Rider from the Heisei period. To comical overplayed nonsense, from Agito on. I think Den-O is what did it in, in the end. Luckily they've wisely dropped it from Kamen Rider since then and no one has thought about bringing such a trite, forced, awful thing back again.

So I hear Gaim claimed it was going to base itself afterohfuckme.

I really hope they don't botch this up and give us another Fiaz...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Only in Kamen Rider, where some people claim it sucked most of the enjoyment out of some seasons.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 7, 2014

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
It's practically one of Toshiki Inoue's trademarks, along with 'falling into the river'.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Faiz was absolutely the worst though, and it was nonsensical how Keitaro never figured out Yuka was his email girlfriend until the last handful of episodes given how blatantly obvious it was at times.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Monathin posted:

Also, yeah, Sentai has basically been in the ratings dumps since Gokai because that's when they started having to compete with Pokemon Sundays. I thought everyone knew that one, at least.

Pokemon Sunday (later Pokemon Smash TV, now Pokemon Get TV) started during Boukenger, and Shinkenger is the only series since then that didn't have a drop from the previous year in ratings.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the flashbacks to the musical in episode 29 of Kyoryuger contain some scenes that weren't present in the musical. Does this mean that there's likely to be a director's cut in the future? The movie's pacing seemed all wrong, and an extra ten minutes or so of exposition would go a long way.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

So the flashbacks to the musical in episode 29 of Kyoryuger contain some scenes that weren't present in the musical. Does this mean that there's likely to be a director's cut in the future? The movie's pacing seemed all wrong, and an extra ten minutes or so of exposition would go a long way.

If there is AzraelNewType will likely be quite miffed.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yes. The movie listing on CDJapan referred to this as the theatrical version, which has me fearing that they've started the bullshit fake "Director's Cut" racket with the tiny Sentai half of the double feature now. I mean, they actually did it last year, but the extended version was available on the same day, they didn't even bait double dippers. The gross editing here suggests they might be.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Was the musical in 3D?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
From the missus:

http://rocketangelcupcakerobot.tumblr.com/post/72391588901/dye-the-world-blue-da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
The Tokkyuger sixth better be hobo-themed. At least gimme a hobo Bangai.

Handout Sentai Hoboger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Tokkyuger sixth is obviously going to be Kamen Rider Den-O

THE CLIMAX NEVER ENDS

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Owner and Naomi will be the TQG's support staff.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Blade episode 20: You just invited a total stranger to your house. what is it with the characters in this show?.. CHRIST

Stevie loving Wonder could see what's coming a mile away

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

toomanyninjas posted:

The Tokkyuger sixth better be hobo-themed. At least gimme a hobo Bangai.

Handout Sentai Hoboger

Spare some
HOBO CHEEENJI!

• Locked thread