Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I never noticed that Vlad works at a pawn shop before, but it makes perfect sense.

I think that's actually his apartment, mainly because of the "NOTARY" sign right above the pawn shop symbol. Vlad seems like the kind of guy that would run a bunch of different business endeavors out of his home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

PantsOptional posted:

His name is Scrambles, and he's lost.

"For the first half-decade of Achewood, people regularly wrote in to inquire after the fate of Scrambles. I never wrote them back, because I don't care."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Am I wrong for wanting a Philippe and Scrambles comic?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dodgeball posted:

What about one with "Jesus, The Dog Who Had Some Serious Religion Chops"?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dodgeball posted:

No, because this is almost certainly what Achewood's last update is going to be.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RZApublican posted:

No, because this is almost certainly what Achewood's last update is going to be.

The last Achewood page ever is going to be Phillippe's sixth birthday party.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

mr. stefan posted:

The last Achewood page ever is going to be Phillippe's sixth birthday party.

This truly is the saddest thing. :smith:

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I hope this is the arc where Teodor learns the meaning of self respect

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugh, this seems like another boring/depressing arc. All the good arcs were about dumb stuff like Cards for Men or Ray going to hell and didn't have a real plot or walls of verbose, unfunny text like this one does.

That verbosity only works with Mr. Bear, and even then he shouldn't overdo it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shibawanko posted:

Ugh, this seems like another boring/depressing arc. All the good arcs were about dumb stuff like Cards for Men or Ray going to hell and didn't have a real plot or walls of verbose, unfunny text like this one does.

That was honestly my take as well but we'll see how it goes.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Onstad writes some of the best dialogue I've ever read but conversely his prose that these penny/teodor strips hint at drives me mad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Onstad writes some of the best dialogue I've ever read but conversely his prose that these penny/teodor strips hint at drives me mad.

All of it reads like he went over the lines and thought about funnier synonyms and idioms for what was originally "you're probably wondering why I fart so much right?". It doesn't work. Just let Lie Bot tell Philippe about a child being crushed by the deorbiting toilet from the International Space Station again, it's way more touching.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Gotta say I dislike the wall of text strips too. Achewood is at its best when it's just being the smartest gag strip ever. I find the really long, extended storylines kinda agonizing. Need more strips about the size of Ray's dick.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I wonder if Teodor will reminisce about the time he cold had a peter in his mouth in the back of Nice Pete's van...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MondayHotDog posted:

Gotta say I dislike the wall of text strips too. Achewood is at its best when it's just being the smartest gag strip ever. I find the really long, extended storylines kinda agonizing. Need more strips about the size of Ray's dick.

He's alright, man. He's alright.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Jerusalem posted:

What about one with "Jesus, The Dog Who Had Some Serious Religion Chops"?

drat it Jerusalem do not set the boy to wicked schemes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mean the best part about the new strips was when Roast Beef pretended to not have his dick out by having a picture of his dick in front of his dick.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Shibawanko posted:

I mean the best part about the new strips was when Roast Beef pretended to not have his dick out by having a picture of his dick in front of his dick.

What? When did this happen?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Shibawanko posted:

All of it reads like he went over the lines and thought about funnier synonyms and idioms for what was originally "you're probably wondering why I fart so much right?". It doesn't work. Just let Lie Bot tell Philippe about a child being crushed by the deorbiting toilet from the International Space Station again, it's way more touching.

It's not "why I fart so much," it's why he smells like a fart. Because Roast Beef made him rub a filthy odor rag all over himself to fit in with the Goodwill pickers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MondayHotDog posted:

What? When did this happen?

:nws: Roast Beef gets a fierce case of Early Meat :nws:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I never knew that this was a thing. (goodwill picking) If I ever happen to visit CA, I will be sure to give this a try!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah dude you'll have to wait until you're in California to indulge in the act of "going to Goodwill".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did you even read the comic? We don't have a massive room filled with bins of random goods for people to pick through.
Here is a surprise for you: Things are not the same in all locales!

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
I think you'd get something similar in any city. We have a few massive Savers in Melbourne that are like that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You could think that, but you'd be wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All Goodwills are massive rooms filled with random goods. I think you'll be disappointed if you think California's aren't exactly as sleazy as the comic portrays, unless you're OK with the jeans having a hole in the crotch because you've got one too.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 6, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fallom posted:

unless you're OK with the jeans having a hole in the crotch because you've got one too.
Don't judge me.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Don't listen to em man. When I went to California I checked out a garage sale and it was EXACTLY like in achewood.

Also be sure not to miss out on those taasty California Subway Sandwiches.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh man California's Subway is the best! It truly is the golden state.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fallom posted:

All Goodwills are massive rooms filled with random goods. I think you'll be disappointed if you think California's aren't exactly as sleazy as the comic portrays, unless you're OK with the jeans having a hole in the crotch because you've got one too.

Want me to bring you some pictures of my local goodwill? It is NOTHING like that. All the items are already sorted through, priced and tagged. There are no massive rooms filled with bins of unsorted goods. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Want me to bring you some pictures of my local goodwill? It is NOTHING like that. All the items are already sorted through, priced and tagged. There are no massive rooms filled with bins of unsorted goods. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Man you're gonna fit right in with the regulars.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

This is the dumbest argument. There are a variety of Goodwill-esque stores of varying amounts of bins, some under the same name differing between locations. With any store with a large amount of crap items, there's bound to be something worth cash in tucked in with the trash.

Can we not get sassy about the relative quality of our local thrift shops?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Go RV! posted:

This is the dumbest argument. There are a variety of Goodwill-esque stores of varying amounts of bins, some under the same name differing between locations. With any store with a large amount of crap items, there's bound to be something worth cash in tucked in with the trash.

Can we not get sassy about the relative quality of our local thrift shops?

That is my whole point. There aren't any like that anywhere near. I was saying It would be an interesting experience.
Don't get exatcly what Fallom's problem is here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't get exatcly what Fallom's problem is here.

I just wanted an excuse to post this, sorry!

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Goodwills are not even the same in the same locales. the one down the street from me is basically a second hand store. Everything is priced, clothes are hanging or folded, and the people working there care about as much as any other retail job. One of my coworkers has a full second income where his wife sits around on ebay all day selling the junk they get at Goodwill. The one he usually goes to has giant bins of clothes that they sell by the pound. Load up a hamper, put it on the scale, get the hell out.

They grossed 85k this year. I don't know how much they spent but that is a lot of poo poo on ebay.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Portland has a Goodwill known as the bins where you buy poo poo by the pound and then other more regular Goodwills where it's laid out like a store where everything has a pricetag.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm still convinced super-skeezy bin Goodwills are as much a product of Onstad's imagination as the notion that most men hate/can't figure out the underwear flap.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rollersnake posted:

I'm still convinced super-skeezy bin Goodwills are as much a product of Onstad's imagination as the notion that most men hate/can't figure out the underwear flap.

These actually exist, they're pretty much the Goodwill of Goodwill though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rollersnake posted:

No right-thinking man uses the underwear flap and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's downright insane to use the underwear flap, or your fly for that matter, to take a leak.

BASELESS BUT PROBABLY TRUE THEORY: All men who do this are actually perverts.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 7, 2014