Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jesus

Why would you make it this small?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh man, the pictures in the Kotaku review show how tiny it really is. http://kotaku.com/the-first-officia...dium=Socialflow

That's loving pathetic.

Maybe I'm really loving weird, but I don't get the appeal of something that tiny. The Kotaku guy mentions that he could walk around town with it in his pocket, but... why would you do that? I can't imagine playing iPad games on the go with a controller. I figured people wanted these things to make playing iPad games at home more convenient, not because they intended to bust out a controller on the bus or in a waiting room or something.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That is a controller for baby kittens

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It amazes me that companies that actually exist and presumably turn a profit would bungle something that badly. People have been begging for game controllers on iOS for years which means there's a big market to tap into, and that's the product you create?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The JB software to use PS3 and Wii controllers with iOS should be updated by early February. I guess I'll stick with mapping button pushes to screen touches.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe I'm really loving weird, but I don't get the appeal of something that tiny. The Kotaku guy mentions that he could walk around town with it in his pocket, but... why would you do that? I can't imagine playing iPad games on the go with a controller. I figured people wanted these things to make playing iPad games at home more convenient, not because they intended to bust out a controller on the bus or in a waiting room or something.

Well that's exactly it. An iPad doesn't fit in your pocket (well, maybe a Mini in a very large pocket), so if you are carrying an iPad then you already have it in a bag most likely. And if you are interested enough in a controller to want to use it with an iPad then size is going to be the least of your concerns. You'd want the controller to be comfortable and efficient at being a controller. gently caress, if you are willing to compromise on the size of a usable controller then you might just as well use the touchscreen buttons, which would probably be almost as good as trying to hold this fun-sized Mars Bar.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

eddiewalker posted:

The JB software to use PS3 and Wii controllers with iOS should be updated by early February. I guess I'll stick with mapping button pushes to screen touches.

What is the name of this app? Do they have any plans to add 360 support?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

JB == jailbreak. Don't get your hopes up. :v:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zigmidge posted:

Blutrol, but yes, you've got to jailbreak.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does that thing come with a hook to put my keys on?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Is it because I used the word app? No poo poo JB = jailbreak

Thanks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Anyone play block fortress here? I seem to have lost my character and all the poo poo I crafted.

Pretty pissed. Hit load character and now I'm at level 3.

Restore local data makes me type something in and I don't know what to type in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

axleblaze posted:

Jesus

This is already on sale at my local Walmart, and has been for a while. It is indeed stupidly small.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This thing reminds me of the GBA Micro, which was also a bad idea:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The GBA Micro was awesome and I will not hear a word against it :colbert:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Parkingtigers posted:

TouchArcade has a much more indepth article on it:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/06/steelseries-stratus-ios-7-bluetooth-controller-review/

The tl;dr is that it's a huge step closer to the real deal but still overpriced and not quite up to the quality of a proper console controller.
I would totally pick up a controller like that for $30... mayyyybe $40 if we're talking that it has to be "premium priced" because Apple. I really want a well-supported (iOS 7.0 game controller format) handheld controller for my iPad and I don't really care if it's a little tiny.

But $100 holy poo poo get the gently caress out of here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's $69 on clearance at my Wal-mart. I'm serious when I say they've had it for 5-6 months. I don't get how it's coming out as new now?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Bottom Liner posted:

It's $69 on clearance at my Wal-mart. I'm serious when I say they've had it for 5-6 months. I don't get how it's coming out as new now?

That must be the older version, which functioned like an iCade by mapping keyboard presses to buttons. The picture at the top of this page is that older version, the new one with the bluetooths has the coloured buttons. Same ridiculous size though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A case that turns the iPad into a giant gameboy folder (instead of a keyboard)

Don't steal my idea!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

priznat posted:

Don't steal my idea!!

Does it come with wrist braces so that basement dwellers can hold it for more than 30 seconds?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thinking more of a sling that goes behind the neck..

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

quote:

@TrentOster 2m
Just checked the iTunes account and it appears the in-app purchases have been approved, so BGII:EE should hit soon.

Finally!

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

It's about time. Now do I actually buy it or wait for a sale. I have just enough credit to get it, but I already broke down an bought it on Steam.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I emailed customer support and they fuckin rock. Gave me my poo poo back plus like 100 of each material to craft and upgrade.

Awesome customer service, email not even 30 minutes old

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm wondering if there is a specification that the wireless controllers have to be smaller than the size of the phone itself. It seems like a lot of Apples specs for these things are the most misguided things the company has done since the Pippin.

Bottom Liner posted:

You don't read the article, post multiple times about the same thing unprompted, and you have a red title. How have you not learned to shut the gently caress up? Many questions remain a mystery.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

priznat posted:

Don't steal my idea!!

Why can't someone just clone a 360/PS3 controller with an iPhone cradle at the top? That would be perfect!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stormfang1502 posted:

Why can't someone just clone a 360/PS3 controller with an iPhone cradle at the top? That would be perfect!

Or just a knock-off console controller like MadKats make or whatever that complies with the Apple standards? It doesn't make sense why this is so hard!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
My theory on these controllers is that the MFi certification process, licensing all the different MFi logos for your box/web site/advertising, and Apple's cut for distributing through brick and mortar Apple Stores leaves about $5 of the $99 left for the actual controller hardware. That is seriously the only thing I can come up with when you consider SteelSeries sells the Android version of essentially the exact same controller for $55. The Stratus is a pretty neat controller, but that price point is an absolute joke.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Does anybody know of any good 2 player games, competitive or cooperative, that can be played on a single iPad? I'm trying to find some but a Google search is less than helpful.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

quiggy stardust posted:

Does anybody know of any good 2 player games, competitive or cooperative, that can be played on a single iPad? I'm trying to find some but a Google search is less than helpful.

This is such a wide open question that suggesting the google term, "pass and play ipad games" seems best.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only one of those I play on a regular basis with another person is Carcassonne. It works pretty well and there's no arguments about scorekeeping and missing pieces.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

SynthOrange posted:

The only one of those I play on a regular basis with another person is Carcassonne. It works pretty well and there's no arguments about scorekeeping and missing pieces.

I have a Carcassonne scoring question. I've noticed that sometimes incomplete cities containing cathedrals score points at the end of the game. Is this a bug, or is it some scoring rule I don't know?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are you talking about city tiles with blue and white shields on them? Those are worth bonus points even on incomplete cities.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Not when there's a cathedral connected; they turn cities into all or nothing in exchange for bonus points.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

axleblaze posted:

Jesus

Its like 1/2" smaller than a drat NES controller.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

quiggy stardust posted:

Tiny Wings HD has split screen multiplayer, and that's a really good game. Mirror's Edge also has this, and while I like that game it regularly goes into the 99c EA sales so might want to wait for one of those. There was a goofy game called Achtung which was basically 4 player light cycles that I picked up free once, but the novelty wore off quickly.

Lots of boardgames with pass and play, from Jenga (which is honestly I find really, really good on iPad for some reason), to RISK, to Carcassone. Spoiled for choice on those.

Oh, loving Draw Race 2. That's amazing. Used to play both those games in the pub Olympics after quiz night. Three players take turns to try and "draw" the best racing line, then off the little cars go at once. The second game added in a turbo button which made viewing the race less passive, but seriously that's one of the best drat games to play with friends. Beers recommended, but I've also played this with little kids and it was tons of fun there too. With drunk adults, we would end up cheering on those little race cars like our lives depended upon it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

opaopa13 posted:

Overpowered isn't even the word. He's like what a preteen boy would do if given access to a character creator. He has every sword skill in the game, the best possible equipment, incredible stats, gets to act first, and also gets to act second while being powerful enough to one-shot enemies with his area attacks. And they just hand him to you halfway through the game, as if to say, "Thanks for enjoying our tactics game, please feel free to fast-forward past the rest of the battles to find out how the story ends."

Maybe he was meant to only be a temporary guest, like that guy who can reliably stop every enemy for several turns multiple times in one battle.

He's still nothing compared to a character with math skill. Last playthrough my White Mage could use CT/4 to hit every unit on the field with whatever spell she felt like (Holy). This included allies but having a lancer with 09 faith, and later gear that absorbs Holy, meant I had a survivor while everything else was dead. Cid's powerful but he's not instant battlefield clearing powerful. One of the best things about the generic classes is that on the surface they might seem to be overshadowed by characters like Cid and Beowulf, but you can make generics that will straight up destroy pretty much anything.

Like Monks with Two Swords (or ninjas with martial arts) + Move MP UP + MP Switch, 90ish Brave and under 10 Faith. Basically immune to magic, more or less immortal, and punches poo poo to death like it's no big deal.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's still nothing compared to a character with math skill. Last playthrough my White Mage could use CT/4 to hit every unit on the field with whatever spell she felt like (Holy). This included allies but having a lancer with 09 faith, and later gear that absorbs Holy, meant I had a survivor while everything else was dead. Cid's powerful but he's not instant battlefield clearing powerful. One of the best things about the generic classes is that on the surface they might seem to be overshadowed by characters like Cid and Beowulf, but you can make generics that will straight up destroy pretty much anything.

Like Monks with Two Swords (or ninjas with martial arts) + Move MP UP + MP Switch, 90ish Brave and under 10 Faith. Basically immune to magic, more or less immortal, and punches poo poo to death like it's no big deal.

Yeah but you have to know the mechanic of the game and grind and poo poo. Cid is a 1 hit ko area effect machine the second you get him.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

quiggy stardust posted:

Battle mode in Pocket Frogs: Splash

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-frogs-splash-for-ipad/id368396059?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

quiggy stardust posted:

If you like air hockey there's Shufflepuck Cantina.

• Locked thread