Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So on a scale of 1-10, exactly how crazy would I look if I decided to use this for our training/trialing collar? :allears:
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Pets...fursaver+collar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aren't fur savers supposed to be a sort of "graduated from training" type collar? I never understood why they were the same design of a choke chain if the dog no longer needed a choke chain.

Also, 7.5 :buddy:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Not sure of the history, but they're the only type of collar allowed for trials. So you want the dog to be used to wearing it while training. It's also supposed to be less damaging on the fur. :shrug:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I knew they were supposedly less pinchy with fur, but didn't know they were the only collar allowed for trialing. Interesting!

SO WHEN ARE YOU GETTING YOUR PUPPY? :allears:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

NOT YET YOU'RE MORE IMPATIENT THAN I AM.

Depending how things shake out, I would hope for a pup from the Wildhaus P litter, but I think my husband is thinking the litter after that, the following fall/winter. I'm way ahead of myself.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

WolfensteinBag posted:

So on a scale of 1-10, exactly how crazy would I look if I decided to use this for our training/trialing collar? :allears:
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Pets...fursaver+collar

Spray it with glitter and it'll be perfection. So excited for you!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^ Please do that. Also make sure to get a boy puppy. :iamafag:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hell, I'll just get one for Buddy at this rate, he's a pretty girly boy. :iamafag: I already put glittery rainbow bandanas on him.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Can anyone recommend something similar to the jolly egg but bigger? Mo loves it but it only took a couple of minutes for him to bite through and now he can just carry it around. I thought they made a zoo animal version but I can't find anything larger than the 12 inch version.

Alternatively has anyone ever tried toys made for zoo animals?

This thing is 30 inches and weighs 50lbs and you can fill it with water or sand:

http://www.sanctuarysupplies.com/iteminfo.asp?partnum=SAFARI30GRN
It also costs almost $200 :cry: but it would be worth it if he would play with it and also not destroy it I guess.

Then there is this one that is 20 inches but only 11lbs. It's called a herding ball and I'm not quite sure what that means but it says horses like them and I don't think Mo is stronger than a horse.

http://boomerball.com/boomerballs/34-herding-ball-20-inch.html
It's only $100 :saddowns:

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds indestructible toys

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Queen Elizatits posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar to the jolly egg but bigger? Mo loves it but it only took a couple of minutes for him to bite through and now he can just carry it around. I thought they made a zoo animal version but I can't find anything larger than the 12 inch version.

You have one of those too? Mine loves destroying toys. We have a few toys that we regularly will purchase because they last.

Chuck it Balls in X-Large (they wont fit under the couch as Duke likes to shove the smaller ones under the couch and try to get them out)

Jolly Teaser Ball 10"

Push-n-Play 14" or 10" http://www.amazon.com/Push-Play-Ball-14-Red/dp/B0006N9K8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389332645&sr=8-3&keywords=jolly+push-n-play

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is kind of a brilliant idea about the zoo animal toys. :stare: That definitely IS expensive, but I would hope you could get a lifetime of use out of it and only ever have to buy it once.

So, some updates on the puppy front! Looks like the breeder just had their current litter on the 8th, with 2 boys and 7 girls. That is good news for us, because she said they had a lot of reservations already for females! They also updated their site saying that they were hoping to breed the next litter at the end of January, so that would make the puppies ready to go home around the end of May, beginning of June. That's a LITTLE earlier than I was hoping for. :ohdear: Later in June, or even July would have been a ton better, so now I'm even more on edge waiting to see how things are going to turn out. I'm a little afraid we're going to have to wait even longer! But I guess when you've already been waiting this long, what's 6-8 more months...

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 10, 2014

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

ShadowStalker posted:

You have one of those too? Mine loves destroying toys. We have a few toys that we regularly will purchase because they last.

Chuck it Balls in X-Large (they wont fit under the couch as Duke likes to shove the smaller ones under the couch and try to get them out)

Jolly Teaser Ball 10"

Push-n-Play 14" or 10" http://www.amazon.com/Push-Play-Ball-14-Red/dp/B0006N9K8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389332645&sr=8-3&keywords=jolly+push-n-play

Thank you for the ideas :) I may go with the push-n-play. He broke the 10" one but I don't know if he could get his big dumb mouth around a 14" ball. He's already gone through the biggest teaser ball amazon has but I think I may have seen a zoo animal version somewhere.

I'm definitely going to order that xxl chuck it, you can't beat $8.99 and he loved the whistler version of that ball which lasted months.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Queen Elizatits posted:

I'm definitely going to order that xxl chuck it, you can't beat $8.99 and he loved the whistler version of that ball which lasted months.

Our GSD loves chasing the weird-shaped Chuckit balls that bounce funny: http://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Erratic-Ball-Larger-X-Large/dp/B00CI50JCO/

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

cbirdsong posted:

Our GSD loves chasing the weird-shaped Chuckit balls that bounce funny: http://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Erratic-Ball-Larger-X-Large/dp/B00CI50JCO/

Apologies if this post shows up twice chrome is being wonky. I ordered him the ball you linked as well so that is awesome to hear your guy likes it thank you.

On a different topic does anyone else have a GSD with a drinking problem (:cheers:) The folks on the GSD forum I follow say it's pretty common in younger dogs and man I cannot wait for him to grow out of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmp6wxl19I.

I should mention he has access to water inside the house all the time, the garage bucket is just there for when he has been running, that's when he makes the biggest mess.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Queen Elizatits posted:

On a different topic does anyone else have a GSD with a drinking problem (:cheers:) The folks on the GSD forum I follow say it's pretty common in younger dogs and man I cannot wait for him to grow out of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmp6wxl19I.

Mo!!! :3: He looks like he's so nice and exhausted he can't be bothered to drink like normal because it would take too long, and he wants to go back to panting so fast he's letting the water go everywhere.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Queen Elizatits posted:

Apologies if this post shows up twice chrome is being wonky. I ordered him the ball you linked as well so that is awesome to hear your guy likes it thank you.

I should mention he has access to water inside the house all the time, the garage bucket is just there for when he has been running, that's when he makes the biggest mess.

Both Artemis and Jada tend to slop water around. Honestly I've always thought it was (messy but) normal for bigger dogs.

Are you saying they'll grow out of it??? My wet socks and freshly licked cat thank you!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

mcswizzle posted:

Both Artemis and Jada tend to slop water around. Honestly I've always thought it was (messy but) normal for bigger dogs.

Are you saying they'll grow out of it??? My wet socks and freshly licked cat thank you!

Well now I feel like a liar because I can't find the thread I was reading but if you go to http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ and just search water it brings up about 10 pages of different threads about GSDs and water messiness. Somewhere in there I swear there is a thread that says it gets a lot better when the dog hits about 2 years. Maggie doesn't make a mess at all so that's promising anyway.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Queen Elizatits posted:

Well now I feel like a liar because I can't find the thread I was reading but if you go to http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ and just search water it brings up about 10 pages of different threads about GSDs and water messiness. Somewhere in there I swear there is a thread that says it gets a lot better when the dog hits about 2 years. Maggie doesn't make a mess at all so that's promising anyway.

Most of my experience with not-lap dogs is recent (with Artemis and Jada who, you guessed it, don't realize they aren't lap dogs). They're both super messy with water (we have basically a Shamwow under the water jug and the surrounding area. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be but I observed Jada maybe a week ago literally pawing at the water bowl. Does anyone else's dog have a tendency to dig in their water?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:cry: Waaaaaaahhh!! I just had to turn down a puppy! Apparently, someone who was on the list for an O litter puppy decided to wait until the P litter, so after checking with the people reserved for O litter males (there were only 2) they started down the list for people waiting for the P litter to see if they wanted to move up. It was soooooo hard to say no! :( Especially when they're laying it on thick:

breeder posted:

I know the timing may be earlier than you planned... but then on the otherhand this pup is currently a reality whereas there's always a possibility that something could go wrong with the P litter.

At least I was flattered that we were offered the pup!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Anyone order some potatoes? :3:
http://wildhauskennels.com/olittergallery.htm

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
:swoon: Puppy feeeeeverrrrr...

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

WolfensteinBag posted:

:cry: Waaaaaaahhh!! I just had to turn down a puppy! Apparently, someone who was on the list for an O litter puppy decided to wait until the P litter, so after checking with the people reserved for O litter males (there were only 2) they started down the list for people waiting for the P litter to see if they wanted to move up. It was soooooo hard to say no! :( Especially when they're laying it on thick:

At least I was flattered that we were offered the pup!

Why don't you get booooooth? Then the 1st puppy will be all trained up and ready for a friend!

Do it do it do it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha Definitely do NOT need two puppies at once. :haw: The P litter is supposed to be ready to go home (tentatively) late May, early June. We might even be cutting it close with THAT litter, let alone puppies ready to go home in March. But waiting is so tough so close to finally getting a dog! I've been watching SchH videos on YouTube instead. :3:

Pez Rattie
Jan 1, 2010
I'M A DUMB, SNEERY CUNT AND SO IS MY ROOM MATE

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hahaha Definitely do NOT need two puppies at once. :haw: The P litter is supposed to be ready to go home (tentatively) late May, early June. We might even be cutting it close with THAT litter, let alone puppies ready to go home in March. But waiting is so tough so close to finally getting a dog! I've been watching SchH videos on YouTube instead. :3:

You should come out and watch some PSA at Chicago Canine Company!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That would be so awesome! :haw: I've been thinking of getting out to another SchH practice at Topline one if these days. But I totally wanna see Frank Bite A Thing. :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Queen Elizatits posted:

Ugh Kas gets water loving everywhere, I hate it so much. She somehow manages to get it all over the house too, not just around her bowl. Vex has never had that problem though.

(Hi guys it's been a while)

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 22, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I saw a solution for a tough, hard to kill toy for Mo.

Horse Soccer Ball.

Canine-Spirit 25” Red/Black Soccer Ball

Simply too big to get one's teeth into. 70 bucks at the cheapest, but should hold up to vigorous supervised play. I had the ppleasure of meeting a dog and his owner at the park with one of these. What a great time!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 22, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Vecna!!! :3: Those pictures weren't there when I checked the thread on my phone.

Potential puppy updates! Got an email from Chris the other day saying Eris has gone into heat, so she's expecting to breed her around the first week of February. She said that'd put puppies due in April, and puppies ready to go home the first or second week of June. She also said she has more people interested than there will probably be puppies (I think there were 15 people who got the email including myself) so it'll all come down to how many of each sex are born and how their temperaments match up with the people waiting. :ohdear:

In the mean time, we're still trying to figure out if we're going to be able to make it ok for this litter. We're both really hoping it works out well, because we don't want to have to wait another year! Plus, I really like the dogs from this P litter. :saddowns: At least since we have a decent window for the litter, now, we should be able to figure out if things will work PRETTY soon, here...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Christ, just get a puppy already. The rest will work out later.

:)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have never been so excited for another PIer to get a puppy. :neckbeard:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

a life less posted:

Christ, just get a puppy already. The rest will work out later.

:)

I've been lurking this thread for months and I want to emptyquote this so hard.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Queen Elizatits posted:

Thank you for the ideas :) I may go with the push-n-play. He broke the 10" one but I don't know if he could get his big dumb mouth around a 14" ball. He's already gone through the biggest teaser ball amazon has but I think I may have seen a zoo animal version somewhere.

http://www.varsitypetsonline.com/products/Varsity-Ball
this is 12" but they say its never been destroyed so, maybe mo will be the first??????????????????

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For what it's worth, my family's German shepherd (~75 lbs female) had one of those and could never hurt it. It got a little bit scraped up, like it says, but it's just too big and sturdy for them to really get their teeth into it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

You guys crack me up.

So we did our taxes today. I'd say things are looking good. :stare:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I heart this thread. We have two landsharks. Our first GSD is 4 year old Josie.

Here she is down by the river a couple years ago.

And putting her to work around the house...

Last spring we decided we needed another puppy. A friend of my wife's was planning on getting this pup and then couldn't for some reason, so we were able to get her instead.

Here's Greta!

And again

And the two girls together after playing in the snow.

They're like peas and carrots!

They both have fantastic noses. I'd love to get them into tracking. One of our games with Josie is to take her out to the farm and play hide and seek with her. We'll throw her toy out and then run and hide.

Bonus: GSD decal here

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

They're so cute!! If you're having fun playing with trailing (the air scenting your dogs are doing to come find you), you can look in to K9 Nosework! It's a sport based around the skills used with search dogs. :) It's a great way to get involved in a fun scent related sport without the seriousness of tracking.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Tracking is really fun and rewarding, you should definitely try it out with your dogs. It's fairly easy to start the foundation work on your own, it requires very little in the way of equipment, and it really wears dogs out. Nose games are a great when the weather's too bad to exercise them much. I honestly don't know how I would have tired Vecna out last winter if it weren't for scent games.

Do you know what kind of tracking you're interested in?

And sorry but this is the best GSD decal:

Kas is finally getting more confident, I'm really proud of her. After Vecna's class last night I took her out to play ball and she wasn't spooked by the agility equipment or the new people. She stayed focused on me and played really nicely and when we were done she even decided to greet the people on the field. She was a bit wary of my friend's wheelchair but she chose to re-engage with me for more ball rather than react :) Considering that when we first got her she would bark wildly at any new person/thing and was a hectic nervebag in new environments, I'd say it was pretty good!

Also this is a good read:

quote:

The virus will slowly take over your system and you will find yourself smiling in delight at that perfect 6 a.m. track, as opposed to groaning in indignation at your own stupidity for actually discovering that your alarm clock does, in fact, contain a 4 a.m. and yes, that shrieking alarm does expect you to wake up to “suck it up”. Watching your dog at the end of a 33 foot line come up to, and indicate, an article will be the most satisfying experience you have had since graduation. The perfect turn that is taken on a track leg will fill you with the same pride as looking down at a quickly and correctly completed Rubiks cube. Whether you are trying for your IPO1 title and you lay your own 450 yard track with 2 turns, slightly aged and your own articles or you are trying for the elite IPO3 with its 800 yard length, laid by a stranger and aged 45 minutes just to make you queasy, the happiness you experience from a passing score will be the same. Precision, pride, tranquility. Tracking.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Also this is a good read:

Every one of you should go read this, it's such a great article! I can't wait to get started with Future Puppy. :3:
Future Puppy that's looking REALLY likely for June! :ssh:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

We took Greta out today to work on recalls and then some hide and seek. She loves the flirt pole too.

She looks a lot like her daddy, Rocco, but we're thinking she'll be about the size of her mama Shelby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Here's some video of Vecna's training sessions from this weekend. Right now Vecna is learning Fanny Gott's switch game using two helpers. I don't think he quite understands that barking activates the helper even when there are two on the field but he's getting there. I don't know what his deal was with his lousy grip this weekend but hopefully working more on carrying and cradling will help up his possessiveness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bnm_JSv_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsN8gCWFX2A
Some normal bitework with a single helper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIZcgRL-7I
I really like how he stays barking on the helper when he drops the wedge instead of orienting on the toy.

This is our second session training "wrap" for heeling. Please excuse my messy as gently caress house, I've been sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVG7jR8q5vo

• Locked thread