Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jeeves posted:

Matt Groening's style never looks good in full 3d. It doesn't even look good in a 2D head-on portrait, only like from various side angles.

2D head on works fine in certain situations:

Ironically, that is also MY exact reaction to seeing this Simpsons LEGO set.

And it's going to be, like, $300, isn't it? Over 2500 pieces, so even at $0.10/brick, it's about $250, and then licensed sets are usually a little more, right? So...yeah.

The Simpsons fan in me might get a smaller Simpsons set if they ever release it (like a Moe's set, or something)*, but not this.

*Holy poo poo, I just realized they need to make The Homer into a set:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

(Still have the white dog copper, the doors, the bike and the phone base. The white pouch piece at the back of the bike I have but in two pieces)

I have a couple of those large window pieces still rolling around, one with all the spokes broken out but the other is in decent shape.

I hated those fabuland sets, grandparents kept buying them for me and they just weren't any fun. Three pieces constituted a building which isn't really building anything at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Travis343 posted:

It's at least 20 years late.

They had to wait for the people with $250 to spend on Lego to grow up.

Also, the Tapped Out game is still pretty drat profitable, and seems pretty squarely aimed at the same market.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Egh.. I didn't need a reminder that eventually we'll probably be stocking that in the store. I like The Simpsons a little as a show, but the set looks awful, and as the vast majority of the customer base in my store is parents buying for their children, I have my doubts it'll sell well in my location. Maybe a few AFOLs will pick up a set or two, but I can't see much future for it beyond that.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

That seriously looks like a MegaBlocks set or a 90's playset. It barely even looks like it's made out of Lego, which kind of defeats the point of working with Lego.

And why would they make the second story rooms so tall but make the living room with the couch, the most iconic room, a tiny cramped space? Just seems like poor design overall.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm wanting to make a few wooden beams, using the wood texture stickers that are in a few sets, but I'm wondering if anyone knows which set has the most?

I'm talking about the transparent ones with grain printed on them.

Also, what sets have TV screen stickers in them?

Because a lot of people don't seem to like stickers information like this is surprisingly hard to come by.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I think the most wood grain stickers I got was in the bag end set from the hobbit. I think there was 6 of them. I only ever seen them in lord of the ring sets, I believe the orc forge had some as well.

Personally if I am making wood beams, I use the light brown/dark brown plates together so it looks more like wood. Take 2 1x12 dark brown plates for the outsides then use 1x2 all the way up to 1x6 of light brown/dark brown to make it look like wood. Just an alternative to stickers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news about the Simpsons set coming out this year is that there's going to be a flood of movie sets also coming out completely drowning out the failure that this set will be.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

The good news about the Simpsons set coming out this year is that there's going to be a flood of movie sets also coming out completely drowning out the failure that this set will be.

The movie sets are so good I'm 100% with this, Simpsons LEGO were doomed to be subpar from the start IMO

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rustie posted:

That seriously looks like a MegaBlocks set or a 90's playset. It barely even looks like it's made out of Lego, which kind of defeats the point of working with Lego.

And why would they make the second story rooms so tall but make the living room with the couch, the most iconic room, a tiny cramped space? Just seems like poor design overall.

Jesus, that's what it is. The rooms on the second floor are 8 bricks high at the crest of the roof, down to maybe 5 at the walls? And the hallway is 9, but the first floor rooms are just all 6 blocks high and it looks loving terrible. Not to mention the completely uniform bland 1x2 beige bricks everywhere.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

xzzy posted:

The movie sets being good took me off guard this year, I figured they would be fun but when I saw the space ship and mech I just had to put them on my list.

I think the solution now is to buy a bigger house and another source of income for all the lego I want but know I can't have.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

The movie sets are so good I'm 100% with this, Simpsons LEGO were doomed to be subpar from the start IMO

The depressing thing about that is if Simpsons fails, Futurama Legos will never happen, and I would buy every set.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

The Rage posted:

The depressing thing about that is if Simpsons fails, Futurama Legos will never happen, and I would buy every set.

No, what's really depressing is that Futurama would have been a better overall fit for Lego. It has plenty of smaller vehicles they could make cheaper sets with (Thundercougarfalconbird anyone? Nibbler in his little ship? Scootypuff Jr/Sr?) and I bet it is consistently better received than almost any Simpsons episode in the last 10 years. Just think of all those great and interesting color combos and build techniques they could have thrown out :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Futurama would be a better fit for Lego as a brand but it's just been cancelled for a second time and The Simpsons celebrates 20 years this year.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
25 years actually, it started in 1989.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

InfinEight posted:

No, what's really depressing is that Futurama would have been a better overall fit for Lego. It has plenty of smaller vehicles they could make cheaper sets with (Thundercougarfalconbird anyone? Nibbler in his little ship? Scootypuff Jr/Sr?) and I bet it is consistently better received than almost any Simpsons episode in the last 10 years. Just think of all those great and interesting color combos and build techniques they could have thrown out :allears:

Even if they just did the Planet Express building and ship I'd still shell out $300. If they did everything else, I'd buy it all too, but I'd take just a single set like this Simpsons house.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a guy that's been bringing some really nice Futurama builds to Brickworld for a while now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepa_quin/collections/72157624217868063/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It would be amazing, but I imagine the mindless Simpsons consuming horde is bigger than the Futurama one. Although they do still make some pretty good Futurama toys, I got my dad the robot devil kidrobot sculpture for Xmas.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I can't believe there's no Futurama on Cuusoo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red posted:

- It just looks bizarre and fun as poo poo: SPACE SKULLS (10192).

How did I just find out this set existed? :stare:

I need it in my life.

InfinEight posted:

Please don't put ideas in my head that you and I both know will never come to fruition. :mad:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

How did I just find out this set existed? :stare:

Wow, even though it's been years since the set's been discontinued, it's still going for 75-50% of MSRP on ebay.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's a guy that's been bringing some really nice Futurama builds to Brickworld for a while now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepa_quin/collections/72157624217868063/

See? Do you see it, Lego? The future was already here!

ThunderCougarFalconBird by Pepa Quin, on Flickr

Pyroclastic posted:

Wow, even though it's been years since the set's been discontinued, it's still going for 75-50% of MSRP on ebay.

I managed to get it on sale from shop@home when it was half off I think, and I'd say it's well worth the price- very chunky, solid piece usage, though a little repetitious.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Umbra Dubium posted:

That's from the prehistoric 70s.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3709a

Came from these sets, note the set numbers are in the triple digits!

Holy poo poo, didn't think it was that old - thanks heaps!

From some of the other pieces I've got I've narrowed it down to either 912 or 404. My brother was born in the early 80's so it was either really old stock when he got it, or second hand.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So I've been feeling the itch recently and dug out my old bins of Lego. I shoved together a bunch of bionicle and hero factory parts, and came up with some fun crap.

Unfortunately, Lego being the solid plastic heroin that it is, I went out and bought a bunch of Galaxy Squad stuff for like 10-20% off.

I wound up paying about $250AUD for 2x 70707, 2x 70701 and 1x 70705, and I gotta say some of the parts that come in it I would have sold my family into slavery for back in the day. I'm really liking these newer sets, even if it does suck my wallet dry.

Is there any word on when that cuusoo mech is going to be available? I desperately want to buy all of them.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I wouldn't buy the Simpsons set. If I had an extra $200-300 for Lego's, I'd be getting the winter village sets.

Now if there were Futurama sets...I'd try to figure out a way to buy every single one haha.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mephiston posted:

Is there any word on when that cuusoo mech is going to be available? I desperately want to buy all of them.

The Delorean Cuusoo project was posted on August 1st 2011. It reached 10000 supporters on April 29th 2012, and passed Lego's review on December 20th 2012. It was on sale at the San Diego Comic-Con July 17th 2013 and on sale globally August 1st 2013.
8 months from support to pass, 8 months from pass to sale.

The MSL project was posted on November 15th 2011, reached 10000 supporters on August 8th 2012, was officially selected June 15th 2013, and was on sale Jan 1st 2014.
10 months from support to selection, 6 months from selection to sale.

The Exo Suit project was posted on March 28, 2012, reached 10000 supporters on January 9th 2013, and selected October 23rd 2013.
I'd guess it'll be April before we have any chance of seeing the Exosuit on sale, and possibly even longer--it's very greebly and potentially full of 'illegal' connections and discontinued pieces that the Lego designers will have to redesign.

Note the Delorean had to involve licensing, and there might have been something similar with NASA/JPL for Curiosity. The Exosuit is a wholly original design (an actual first for Cuusoo!), so that could speed things up.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Cool, thanks for the insight. It's good to know that Lego actually follow up with their claims on that one, and I'm really looking forward to that exo suit.

I dont suppose it would be possible now, but If another thread comes along, would it be possible (provided people in this thread dont care) to post examples of peoples storage solutions in or near the OP?

I have like 3 storage tubs of old bricks but no idea how I'd go about doing that, and I do better with pictures rather than text explanations.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to venture up their storage solutions and post them in the thread that would be cool too.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Right now my Lego work are is littered with various shoe boxes filled with pieces sorted by color.

I recently updated my Lego Dark Souls page with some new images. Let me know what you guys think!

http://legodarksouls.tumblr.com/

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mephiston posted:

I have like 3 storage tubs of old bricks but no idea how I'd go about doing that, and I do better with pictures rather than text explanations.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to venture up their storage solutions and post them in the thread that would be cool too.

Storage differs vastly depending on your sorting, space, and collection size. If you don't sort, then mixed tubs are obviously the easiest.
The larger your collection and the more complex and narrow your sort, the more it changes. You start adding sliding drawers, then more drawers, then ziplocs in tubs, then sub-ziplocs in large drawers, then you give up, buy a few thousand large stacking drawers, rent a warehouse, and store by element.

I don't have any pictures, but I've roughly divided my collection into thirds: bricks, plates, and everything else, and I subdivide by there. Everything's stored in ziplocs or as monolithic mega-bricks for 1x6 and larger bricks and similar classes of smaller parts in smaller numbers are stored separately in sandwich bags inside gallon ziplocs. I'm only considering color if I have too many to fit in a single bag, and then I'll split them up by color.

Sorting and storing is awful, since 2 hours after you settle on something you find out how wrong it is and how many compromises you have to make.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So what you're saying is that basically it's less about how you sort it and more about knowing where everything is?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Id say that depends on you but it seems the whole point of sorting is so that you know where things are. One sorting method doesnt work for everyone. Currently I've got mine sorted by color in gallon ziploc bags with a few tackle boxes for sorting specialized pieces like minifig tools, hinge pieces of varying types, slopes, etc. Eventually I'd love to have a big set of shelves and drawers so everything has a place but not until I get more room.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Simpsons house missed opportunity #78

Crazy stuff in between the floors every time they show a cutaway of the house. Treasure chests, skeletons, aliens, pile of skulls, whatever.

*Makes a model of cutaway of simpsons house*
*Forgets to make a joke*

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Mephiston posted:

Even though it's not like this anymore (it's worse!), I'll post this again to give you some inspiration for sorting:

I can do some updated pics if you guys want when I get home, but the best answer has already been given: You gotta sort in a way that works for you. The less space you have, the less sorting you can do, and the more pieces you have, the more containers you'll need. My advice would be to start with putting all your rectangular bricks (2x1, 2x2, 1x8, etc) into one container, and all your rectangular plates into another. That alone will isolate a big chunk of your collection and help give you some idea of how you want to break the rest down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just use ziploc bags sorted by color, they're easy to see through to find parts. Colors that have a lot of pieces get split into a "big pieces" bag and a "small pieces" bag. Really big pieces like chunks of boat get their own plastic bin that goes under the bed.

When I'm digging for parts to complete a set, I pour the bags out onto a white towel and go through them handful by handful, then when I'm done I lift up the corners and pour the whole thing back into its ziploc bag.

It's not the fastest way to build but it keeps things tidy.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Basically only have technic, but this is how I have it.
- Big box for wheels/chain links.
- box for every type of pin connector
- box for all axles
- several boxes for different types of angle lift arms
- several boxes for different lengths of straight lift arms
- box for motors / lin actuaters
- box for pneumatic
- box collecting dust somewhere with a bunch of battery boxes.
- box for gears
- box for frames
- box for misc. angle connectors
- box for all half height pieces
- several boxes with whatever is left and or unsorted.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Sort by type, not by color. If you don't have a part in the color you want, it's more useful to have the desired part in an alternate color in front of you than to have to hunt through every other color to find it.

Within common types (i.e., bricks and plates) sorting by color or color range can be useful.

e: I use these organizers, which I like quite a bit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QWYF The removable bins make splitting/merging a breeze.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I do the gallon ziplock bag by color for sorting too. Then I have some small tupperware containers to store 1x1 flat, 1x1 brick, 1x2 flat, 1x2 brick, and a couple "where does this go" bags/containers. And I can't forget the random small piles of extra pieces from building sets sitting on shelves around my room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

Sort by type, not by color. If you don't have a part in the color you want, it's more useful to have the desired part in an alternate color in front of you than to have to hunt through every other color to find it.

That makes sense if you know what you want to build ahead of time, but when I'm "brainstorm building" or whatever you want to call it, I tend to paw through a color I want to build in, find some interesting pieces I want to incorporate, and then build around those. Having a big variety of parts sitting in front of me helps with that random creativity.

Does create the issue where the whole creation ends up being the same color, but if I like the results I'll break it apart and remake it with different colors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
LAMP SAUSAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It looks like a screenshot from a Simpsons Rectify parody.

Also here's the Design Video, which is so desperate to apologize for the figures half of it is about how they tried really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxCIXqYaSPU

Every prototype (Maggie for the final model) looks better with the eyes wide open. WHY ARE THEY HALF CLOSED!

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 8, 2014