Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I find it annoying that HDTVs even have overscan in the first place. They should have gotten rid of it when they moved to 480p/720p/1080i/p. It's a holdover from 480i and it should have stayed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

Use DVI instead of HDMI. Really. HDMI makes the card assume it's plugged into a TV, and most TVs do overscan even though they shouldn't any more, so overscan compensation is turned on by default. Meanwhile, the TV is making its own assumptions about overscan and whatnot. DVI, don't have to worry about this at all. Or trudge through menus turning off overscan on both the screen and the PC.

That... worked. Thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SwissCM posted:

I find it annoying that HDTVs even have overscan in the first place. They should have gotten rid of it when they moved to 480p/720p/1080i/p. It's a holdover from 480i and it should have stayed there.

The problem with overscan is you had an entire generation of TV crews who got used to the fact you could junk up the edge of the picture and not even care, and HDTV doesn't allow them a native way to hide their dereliction but local overscan does, and TV manufacturers don't want to catch flak for edge junk and know people probably don't know TV quality (see how many places still run their TVs 4:3 stretched).

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Is it worth buying a new video card right now? I'm using GTX 460 (1GB version and moderately overclocked) and I usually upgrade once in two years. The GTX 760 looks like a good option, but from what I heard the 800 series is coming in March.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Do you feel like you need a new video card right now, and shall suffer scars and/or traumas if you don't buy one? The value proposition of computer parts is generally biased toward waiting.

On the other hand, the 460 is basically shot for high-spec gaming at this point.

Also this belongs in the build thread. Bring your display area and target games and workloads with you.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

With the way releases tend to be staggered between the two brands, there is simply always something around the corner. Upgrade when you got money and desire for a bit more performance. 760 recently got a price drop, thanks to the ATI release. Don't expect an 860 to be as cheap as the 760s are when it comes out, should that be March, which could easily turn into May.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Conspiracy theory: nVidia set a bottom cap of 30fps for G-Sync (below which it turns into normal V-Sync) because it made modern game engines that use a shitton of good motion blur entirely TOO playable in the low 20fps range, and they worried this would impact future profits.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have a silverstone SG05 I can confirm the Twin Frozr 760 fits.

This must be the largest card you can get in there without modification.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
http://techreport.com/review/25788/a-first-look-at-nvidia-g-sync-display-tech

This looks pretty drat amazing, I definitely want this in my next monitor.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fletcher posted:

http://techreport.com/review/25788/a-first-look-at-nvidia-g-sync-display-tech

This looks pretty drat amazing, I definitely want this in my next monitor.

I'm very curious what AMD is working on in response.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

El Scotch posted:

I'm very curious what AMD is working on in response.

Do they have to be? At a certain point I would just clap my hands, implement the api, and move on. No reason to RnD another one, just like there's no reason to RnD another Mantle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can g-sync work on the desktop? For instance, if I'm playing back 24.0fps, 25.0fps, 23.987fps, 48.0fps footage, can the player app get a lock on the main system refresh so I don't get stuttering due to fps/refresh non integer mismatch? Right now I think the only way to really avoid stuttering is to change your refresh rate to a integer multiple of the fps which is a pain every time you want to watch something casually.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Theoretically yes, but since the desktop has no problem refreshing at e.g. 144 Hz despite content running slower, the G-sync triggering mechanism (lower framerates) wouldn't be tripped. You'd still need to manually set an integer multiple unless the app had e.g. nvapi support and could set global refresh rate, and that has nothing to do with G-sync.

E: Also, G-sync has a framerate floor of 30 FPS.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 4, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Phuzun posted:

With the way releases tend to be staggered between the two brands, there is simply always something around the corner. Upgrade when you got money and desire for a bit more performance. 760 recently got a price drop, thanks to the ATI release. Don't expect an 860 to be as cheap as the 760s are when it comes out, should that be March, which could easily turn into May.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 870 equivalent is $400 at release as well. That's about how much you have to pay to get one of the perennially out-of-stock 280x models and there's not much near that price point to compete with unless you're willing to do SLI/Crossfire. This is assuming, of course, that it's measurably faster than the 700/r9 series and also the buttcoin wildcard.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

E: Also, G-sync has a framerate floor of 30 FPS.

Oh. What does this mean if a game drops below 30fps?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh. What does this mean if a game drops below 30fps?

It turns off.

Wozbo posted:

Do they have to be? At a certain point I would just clap my hands, implement the api, and move on. No reason to RnD another one, just like there's no reason to RnD another Mantle.

I know there was an interview with someone from AMD who basically said 'we're working on it'.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 4, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

El Scotch posted:

It turns off.

I guess then it goes back to v-sync on behavior which at <30fps and 120+hz shouldn't be all that noticeable?

E: thinking aloud here. lets assume 24fps and 120hz. Thats 5 refreshes on the same frame. If its off by a bit you get 6 refreshes instead of 5. I guess the human brain would be hard pressed to pick up on a 20% mismatch in cadence but I wouldn't want to say that definitively.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just reformatted my computer, and now my screen is flickering. I'm guessing it's because AMD is awful at releasing "stable" drivers. Steam is reporting -1024MB of RAM, so I'm guessing I should just uninstall the Stable and go to the Beta driver?

Card in question is a HD 7950.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Phone posted:

I just reformatted my computer, and now my screen is flickering. I'm guessing it's because AMD is awful at releasing "stable" drivers. Steam is reporting -1024MB of RAM, so I'm guessing I should just uninstall the Stable and go to the Beta driver?

Card in question is a HD 7950.

Yes though you may want to make sure you've set the CCC to use the right refresh rate for your monitor and also check the cable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It wasn't doing it 4 hours ago, and the only physical change to the computer is the USB key that I used to install Win7.

It's been 15 minutes and it hasn't glitched yet, sooooo...... Yay beta drivers, I guess.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Introducing AMD FreeSync. Apparently there was a VESA standard for variable VBLANK intervals all along, and AMD has been implementing it all along with the intent of reduced refresh rate for power savings in notebooks. Guess what else it can do.

It does need a panel that implements the spec, though, and those are hardly ubiquitous. FreeSync also needs a little work before it's as good as G-Sync in games, since it's an idle-time feature that's being expanded. But that was quick, huh?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What a pleasant surprise; I wonder how long it will be before there's a consumer version. Maybe Q4?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If VBLANK can do everything GS can do, why does GS need all that memory in the display? Or does VBLANK need that too?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So, I guess it's a good time to put money away for a new monitor so I can see how this plays out.

I wonder how common the hardware to support the variable vblank intervals is. It'd be really nice to have this without needing to buy a new monitor, especially since my GPU is giving me problems.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Quick question about reference cards and temps. Is low 80's acceptable for gaming temperatures? I have a reference GTX780, and that's what it hits when gaming. I'm used to other coolers (last card was a 7950 Windforce) and staying under 70-ish.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Factory Factory posted:

Introducing AMD FreeSync. Apparently there was a VESA standard for variable VBLANK intervals all along, and AMD has been implementing it all along with the intent of reduced refresh rate for power savings in notebooks. Guess what else it can do.

It does need a panel that implements the spec, though, and those are hardly ubiquitous. FreeSync also needs a little work before it's as good as G-Sync in games, since it's an idle-time feature that's being expanded. But that was quick, huh?

Well gsync is dead in the water since no manufacturer is going to increase their Bom if they can avoid it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
TechReport has more on FreeSync and why G-Sync is what it is when such an alternative can be whipped up by AMD in a couple months.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Malcolm XML posted:

Well gsync is dead in the water since no manufacturer is going to increase their Bom if they can avoid it.

I would think so. Even if freesync is more limited, not even enthusiasts want to pay hundreds of dollars for a special g-sync monitor above and beyond the normal monitor price.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Asus are launching a 27" 1440p what seems to be MVA 120hz screen with gsync for 800 dollars so I could see gamers making a bee-line for that if G-Sync is actually something other than triple buffering which would be the complete opposite of what an enthusiast gamer wants.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
G-sync is triple buffering plus variable screen refresh rate plus vertical blanking interval manipulation. Triple buffering is simple. AMD has been doing variable refresh rate support for three generations now. The new stuff is VBLANK adjustment, for arbitrary framerates rather than fixed-rate throttling, and that's something that DisplayPort makes easy. Or at least easy enough that AMD hacked up FreeSync in relatively little time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Good old AMD. Standards based methods that could easily be more widespread with a far lower price entry.

Reminds me of CUDA vs OpenCL, QPI vs HyperTransport..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 7, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Quick question about reference cards and temps. Is low 80's acceptable for gaming temperatures? I have a reference GTX780, and that's what it hits when gaming. I'm used to other coolers (last card was a 7950 Windforce) and staying under 70-ish.

Yeah my overclocked non reference 780 hits 81ish when hit super hard, so 80 isn't crazy for a blower. The default fan curve isn't even hitting 100% there.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
AMD FreeSync? Hahahah holy crap didn't see that coming. Hopefully all 3 of my LCDs get, in the least, hacked firmware that supports it. :xd:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

HalloKitty posted:

HyperTransport.

Irony right here folks.

See also: Mantle.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
HT had some limited success outside of AMD CPU's though. There were some pretty badass FPGA's that fit right into a Operton socket years ago. AMD also had a HT based slot for a while too though I don't think there were too many products made for it in mind. Might've ended being used for some of their larger systems that they teamed up with Cray to build.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Byolante posted:

Asus are launching a 27" 1440p what seems to be MVA 120hz screen with gsync for 800 dollars so I could see gamers making a bee-line for that if G-Sync is actually something other than triple buffering which would be the complete opposite of what an enthusiast gamer wants.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that panel isn't MVA.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Just got a 290x, I fired up AC4 to see how it ran (at 2560x1440 and considering it's unoptimized as poo poo, decently) and I noticed I now have an NVIDIA: THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED splash screen on startup where there was none before when I had my 570. That's... actually pretty clever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

deimos posted:

Irony right here folks.

See also: Mantle.

Oh? I didn't think HyperTransport was AMD-specific.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

HalloKitty posted:

Oh? I didn't think HyperTransport was AMD-specific.

It was made by AMD and "ratified" by the HT Consortium of companies, including, but not limited to...

Wait for it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GrizzlyCow posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that panel isn't MVA.

(Emphasis mine:)

quote:

Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?
Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better price:performance, high quality TN panel.

We apparently live in a world where $800 monitors are regarded as being in that "price:performance" sweet spot. :smithicide: Still, at least we're headed in the right direction. Let's leave it up to reviews to see how passably bearable the image will be.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 7, 2014