Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

When did Spider-Man have organic web shooters? Was that during JMS?

Yeah, he got them during the Avengers Dissasembled event and then kept them through OMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
A friend of mine that I've encouraged to get more into comics hates Nova and Young Avengers but loves Superior Spider-Man and actually claims Dan Slott is a genius. Where did I go wrong? :negative:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Well, Nova is poo poo and Young Avengers, while great, is a love it or hate it kind of book. Now, if he hates Hawkguy then there's no hope.

\/\/\/I tried Nova again with the issue 100 special after seeing a bunch of stuff in the Funny Panels thread. It is still bad and I hate the art.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Hating Dan Slott?

I love Young Avengers, but I really understand it's not to everyone's taste. Nova is... well, how've Zeb Wells and Gerry Duggan on that? I admit I didn't know Loeb was off it, and Loeb hadn't done much to sell me on the series.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
He refuses to read Hawkeye because he hates the idea of the archer hero and hates the idea of Hawkeye being able to hack it with the Avengers. Even after being told Hawkeye's book is all about the stuff he does outside of the Avengers.

I should have known his opinions on comics would be 100% terrible when he announced that he hated Gunnerkrigg Court.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm... I'm sorry. Maybe try Saga or East of West? Or is he one of those people who only read super heroes?

Sci-Fi Romeo & Juliet with tits and swears or Post Apocalyptic Alt-history Western are pretty interesting premises?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Another friend got him to read Saga and he really liked that. I haven't read it myself so I can't confirm whether or not it's the exception to his terrible taste rule (because these things have no room for differences, you see).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is always Tarot. Or those Brothers Grimm comics I see at the LCBS that seem...interesting...?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
One thing I like about Hawkeye is that it reads really well digitally because there isn't a tremendous amount of detail hidden away on my smaller Nexus 7 screen. Any other books that work well digitally worth picking up? I've been thinking of reading Saga and The Manhattan Projects digitally as well. I love physical books but I literally get no use out of my Nexus 7 other than to read digital books.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Well, Nova is poo poo and Young Avengers, while great, is a love it or hate it kind of book. Now, if he hates Hawkguy then there's no hope.

\/\/\/I tried Nova again with the issue 100 special after seeing a bunch of stuff in the Funny Panels thread. It is still bad and I hate the art.

Nova is good, you just clearly dislike fun and/or whimsy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nope, that single issue hit a different annoying teen hero trope on every page. It's fair to say that I'm still annoyed that Dick Ryder is in limbo with this new kid flying about and the Nova Corps no where to be found, but I gave it an honest shot based on the FP thread and goon acclaim.

It's probably not as bad as the Loeb issues (I didn't even give those a shot), but it is still not good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soonmot posted:

Nope, that single issue hit a different annoying teen hero trope on every page. It's fair to say that I'm still annoyed that Dick Ryder is in limbo with this new kid flying about and the Nova Corps no where to be found, but I gave it an honest shot based on the FP thread and goon acclaim.

It's probably not as bad as the Loeb issues (I didn't even give those a shot), but it is still not good.

If Richard is not around then there is no Nova Corps. He took it all with him, except for Sam's dads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sure am glad we still call the previous Nova "Dick Ryder", that joke is never going to get old!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Soonmot posted:

The Loeb issues were actually really good too and a fun kid in space story without the usual over reliance on "shocking" reveals.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bobkatt013 posted:

If Richard is not around then there is no Nova Corps. He took it all with him, except for Sam's dads.

The black Novas run seperate from the Corps. Sam has found at least two of their helmets so far, one killed by Proxima Midnight's daughter and the other by space spiders, and absorbed some sort of energy from them.

Really fun book. I hope it's catching on with the younger readers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

One thing I like about Hawkeye is that it reads really well digitally because there isn't a tremendous amount of detail hidden away on my smaller Nexus 7 screen. Any other books that work well digitally worth picking up? I've been thinking of reading Saga and The Manhattan Projects digitally as well. I love physical books but I literally get no use out of my Nexus 7 other than to read digital books.

How about the stuff built for tablets like Batman 66?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Have I harped all over about how much I love Private Eye because it's made to be read on a big fatty computer monitor? NOTHING, not even a single webcomic, has made me feel quite so good about a 27" monitor.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dan Didio posted:

What was it, the Other?
No, it was an Avengers: Disassembled tie-in in Spectacular Spider-Man. It was remarkably similar to The Other though, it involved an insect-y villain called The Queen who incapacitates Peter, he ends up in a cocoon and when he emerges he has some new powers. Captain America showed up for 5 minutes too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

irlZaphod posted:

No, it was an Avengers: Disassembled tie-in in Spectacular Spider-Man. It was remarkably similar to The Other though, it involved an insect-y villain called The Queen who incapacitates Peter, he ends up in a cocoon and when he emerges he has some new powers. Captain America showed up for 5 minutes too.

Reminder that this, of all things, is something Slott chose to revisit as the focus of his Spider-Island event.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Teenage Fansub posted:

How about the stuff built for tablets like Batman 66?

Ehhhh I tried the free issue and didn't like it. I don't like the interactive/automated stuff.

Also unrelated but I just now found out that there are a few books between Batman Vol 3 and Zero Year. Have those issues been collected elsewhere or will they be? I'm trying to catch up on Batman as best I can so my current stack (all Zero Year stuff) doesn't sit for ages unread.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that this, of all things, is something Slott chose to revisit as the focus of his Spider-Island event.

Spider Island had a lot of dumb poo poo but I can't totally hate it for removing all the Other and chosen spider nonsense from Peter and transferring it over to Kaine.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Spider Island had a lot of dumb poo poo but I can't totally hate it for removing all the Other and chosen spider nonsense from Peter and transferring it over to Kaine.
Did he seriously? Honestly, one thing which started putting me off Slott was when he became the Marvel Continuity Cop. The organic shooters were literally never mentioned, and while I enjoyed the JMS Spider-Totem stuff, it also could have gone entirely unmentioned by other writers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

Did he seriously? Honestly, one thing which started putting me off Slott was when he became the Marvel Continuity Cop. The organic shooters were literally never mentioned, and while I enjoyed the JMS Spider-Totem stuff, it also could have gone entirely unmentioned by other writers.

It was part continuity cop and part bringing Kaine to a point where he could spin off to his own series. It boiled down to the Other being a prophecy/magic/whatever that totem stuff was of Peter Parker accepting to be a more violent, spider being that would kill when needs be. Peter would never be that but Kaine would.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

Ehhhh I tried the free issue and didn't like it. I don't like the interactive/automated stuff.

Also unrelated but I just now found out that there are a few books between Batman Vol 3 and Zero Year. Have those issues been collected elsewhere or will they be? I'm trying to catch up on Batman as best I can so my current stack (all Zero Year stuff) doesn't sit for ages unread.

I dunno what they're planning to do with 18-20. I'm guessing they won't be in a trade by themselves, or in the Zero Year collection, cause they're pretty irrelevant to that.
Maybe there'll be a Damian fallout trade that 18'll slot into. No idea.

#18 is about Harper Row trying out being a hero while Batman is on a crime busting rampage in the wake of what happened to Robin in Batman Incorporated. Robin is barely in Snyder's Batman and you won't even see the event spurring his rage, so if you haven't been reading Grant Morrison's books you can safely skip it, though you might be interested in Harper by then.

#19-20 is a pretty inconsequential Clayface story.

They aren't bad, but you could certainly just jump to 21.

edit: Yeah. They're skipping them for the next trade.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Zero-Year-Secret-City/dp/1401245080

ee: That #19 cover, though.
:(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 7, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Waterhaul posted:

The Loeb issues were actually really good too and a fun kid in space story without the usual over reliance on "shocking" reveals.

I found it very cookie-cutter, there were amusing moments but essentially any high school scene was :rolleyes:.

Spider-Island was probably the last crossover I really enjoyed, it was just a fun premise and was structured really well with some really good side series. (ompare with AvX, which is a fun premise structured terribly, or Infinity, which is structured really well but wasn't at all fun.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno what they're planning to do with 18-20. I'm guessing they won't be in a trade by themselves, or in the Zero Year collection, cause they're pretty irrelevant to that.
Maybe there'll be a Damian fallout trade that 18'll slot into. No idea.

#18 is about Harper Row trying out being a hero while Batman is on a crime busting rampage in the wake of what happened to Robin in Batman Incorporated. Robin is barely in Snyder's Batman and you won't even see the event spurring his rage, so if you haven't been reading Grant Morrison's books you can safely skip it, though you might be interested in Harper by then.

#19-20 is a pretty inconsequential Clayface story.

They aren't bad, but you could certainly just jump to 21.

Thanks. I'll probably just read them digitally and then pick up back issues if I ever see them. So there are some things in Morrison's New 52 version of Batman Inc. that relate? I do plan on reading those books.

This is something that's still weird to me with comic books, Snyder's Batman run is taking continuity bits from Batman Inc. and yet the two books are so wildly different in scope and tone it just seems weird to make believe that they're the same Batman or that those events are somewhat concurrent. I know I shouldn't be questioning continuity in comics because that's just the way it is but it's still an odd concept to me at times like this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Thanks. I'll probably just read them digitally and then pick up back issues if I ever see them. So there are some things in Morrison's New 52 version of Batman Inc. that relate? I do plan on reading those books.

This is something that's still weird to me with comic books, Snyder's Batman run is taking continuity bits from Batman Inc. and yet the two books are so wildly different in scope and tone it just seems weird to make believe that they're the same Batman or that those events are somewhat concurrent. I know I shouldn't be questioning continuity in comics because that's just the way it is but it's still an odd concept to me at times like this.
Just think of it all as reasonably concurrent, the continuity gets sorted out later on. DC kinda let Morrison finish off what he'd done, even though it didn't really fit with the rest of the New 52 in some ways. It all gets pretty neatly wrapped up anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

So there are some things in Morrison's New 52 version of Batman Inc. that relate? I do plan on reading those books.

Only the fact that Robin died. Tomasi's Batman and Robin is way more tied to the event since it's focus is on their relationship.

The books are more or less just opportunities for a bunch of creative teams to tell their Batman stories and are rarely beholden to each other beyond big status quo shifts. Whereas Death of The Family had related side issues involving Joker you could ignore, most other comic groups will require you to go from book to book in an event, so I appreciate the separateness of the titles (especially since they're not all great.)

Morrison's Batman should really be read as a whole from his Batman run, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne and both volumes of Batman Incorporated. It's a fuckin' lot, but boy, it's good.
Again, it barely relates to Snyder's work, so if you're gonna, don't feel like you need to tackle it right away. Maybe there'll be a big ol' omnibus this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 7, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

irlZaphod posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. You're omitting an awful lot of details of why this was dumb, and I've only read a synopsis from a cracked article some time back.

The Queen was a half lady half spider, and she turned Spidey into a real embiggened spider, solely so she could get her freak on with it. About a minute after Spider-Spider comes out of the cocoon he dies. The Queen's all upset and then just leaves. Then Peter Parker, completely naked, rips out of the spider body (Does this count as another time he's been killed?) and notices he has organic shooters on his wrists. "Huh, that's new." :geno: then wanders off. The end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You forgot the part where he talks to some spiders.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Whatever happened to the old guy with spider-powers who didn't wear shoes? What was his deal?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mimir posted:

Whatever happened to the old guy with spider-powers who didn't wear shoes? What was his deal?

Long story short, he found out about the predestined spider-powers in his youth and did some mystical malarky that gave him the same powers, and he created a huge empire of money and power with it. Turns out him contacting Peter was part of the price of his malarky: the only way for him to live was to sacrifice the proper chosen one to the spider-spirit that was furious about him usurping those powers. At the last minute he had a mindmeld with Peter that let him see that he was being a shitfuck and sacrificed himself to set things right.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did someone in the bullpen lose a bet to make Spidey's powers more convoluted than the Clone Saga at the time? Sweet mother of suck.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Ezekiel (was that actually his name? Jeez that's lame) had a weird role in adding bullshit to the Spider-man mythos but I really, really liked having a wizened mentor with the same powers as Peter. I remember him being likeable and fun when he was mysterious but completely forgot the end of his arc until just now and.... Eh.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. You're omitting an awful lot of details of why this was dumb, and I've only read a synopsis from a cracked article some time back.
I haven't read the story since it was published 10 years ago or whatever, so I couldn't remember most of the details. All I could remember was that the whole thing was really, really bad.

I didn't mind the Ezekiel/Morlun storyline, it was quiet good really. It just got bad when it was revisited with The Other.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I don't poo poo up the shipping thread with this joke:

d00gZ posted:

It looks like [Hawkeye] 16 is hitting before 15. Trust me, I'm as confused as you are.

Well, they've gotta have SOME kind of fuckup now that their scheduling dead zone has gone and finally been passed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

One more step to Fraction or Aja coming off the book :getin:

Also first proper comic book day of the year and not only that but it's also the day of a new volume of Prison Pit

Johnny Ryan but out a very typically Johhny Ryan preview video where he just flicks through the entire book if you want to see what happens in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOK38gat68

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

One more step to Fraction or Aja coming off the book :getin:

Why would you want Fraction or Aja off of what is both their career best work and one of only like two or three worthwhile superhero comics being published?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I never said I wanted it to happen but it's obviously the way it's going to happen with Marvel's shipping schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

How is/was John Layman's run on Detective Comics? I'm a huge Chew fan so I was pretty interested when I heard he'd be taking over that book, but then I never heard anything else about it.

• Locked thread