Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

2Lts with their first taste of real money who own luxury/sport cars are the best. It wouldn't be out of place in military.txt but I know one guy in particular who traded his viper (and the 8k negative equity that went along with it) for a charger with all the options. Almost 60k overall at double digit interest rates while renting from a literal slumlord :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

froglet posted:

Overheard today: "Well I have to have two TV's, because if you don't have two TV's you've failed at life!"

This is why I have 3 TVs, in case one breaks I'll still be succeeding at life.

If two break at once though...:supaburn:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Mirthless posted:

:words:
Between the two timeshares she probably has about 40,000 dollars tied up, and I think she takes one vacation every three years. :downs:
Reading your post all I could think of was this Archer bit (slightly NWS due to cartoon woman in negligee):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NWvzzBMBU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Isentropy posted:

A request: does anyone remember a Yahoo Finance article about a woman and her husband who, having paid off their mortgage, refinanced for over 100,000$ to make renovations and pay for vacations?
YES! I remembered that. I had to resist the urge to tear out my hair after reading each line of that article. But in all fairness, those people can't beat Sharon Tirabassi, a local woman here who won a $10.5 million lotto pick, and went from dirt poor, to wealthy, straight back to dirt poor due to being incomprehensibly-stupid with her money. Some highlights:

quote:

She took friends on wild, all-expenses-paid trips to Cancun, Florida, Las Vegas, California, the Caribbean.
She bought a house, and married Vinny. They eventually had three children.

In 2006, the newlyweds and blended Tirabassi family moved to a massive $515,000 home in Ancaster. Despite the lottery win, Tirabassi took out a $360,000 mortgage on the house.

Vinny says they owned four vehicles: a bright yellow Hummer, a Mustang, a Dodge Charger and a $200,000-plus, souped-up Cadillac Escalade, Tirabassi’s baby. The vanity licence plate read “BABIPHAT,” after one of her favourite designer clothing lines.

By 2007, according to a Hamilton Spectator interview at the time, Tirabassi had already blown through half of her winnings, and was living off interest from investments on the other $5 million.
That year, Vinny crashed the Mustang.

She is now so broke that she has to take the bus to get around. And the pièce de résistance:

quote:

Asked about how life turned out for them, Vinny shrugs, smoking a cigarette in the doorway of their home.
"I lived like this my whole life, I never was rich,” he says. “We grew up like this, so we’re used to it."
"So what if I'm dirt door again? We were always dirt poor!"

:allears:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 3, 2014

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I guess some people really just don't care about money. If she has money she'll spend it but if not, no big deal. Being poor is fine too. It's probably not the worst attitude to have especially when you read about other lotto winner stories who end up divorced, depressed, ostracized by their friends/family or even killing themselves when they realize the money's gone.

quote:

“And that was time for fun to stop and to just go back to life,” she says. Tirabassi is happier today, she says, adding life has more purpose now than when she was shopping.

According to the article she put some of the money in a trust for her kids, so at least there's that. And she gave huge amounts of the money to friends and other family who then disappeared from her life. I don't really know how to feel about this story. Good for her for keeping her head up.

razz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

melon cat posted:

YES! I remembered that. I had to resist the urge to tear out my hair after reading each line of that article. But in all fairness, those people can't beat Sharon Tirabassi, a local woman here who won a $10.5 million lotto pick, and went from dirt poor, to wealthy, straight back to dirt poor due to being incomprehensibly-stupid with her money. Some highlights:

She is now so broke that she has to take the bus to get around. And the pièce de résistance:

"So what if I'm dirt door again? We were always dirt poor!"

:allears:
If you've never read this, you should. It's more about money making people crazy than people being bad with it per se.
http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My parents knew a guy who won about $30 million in a lottery back in the early 90s. That game did not offer the option to take a lump sum in lieu of the annuity, so he got 20 years worth of payments. Between buying a bunch of stuff and a divorce, he basically burned through all the money well over a decade before the annuity stopped paying out.

This guy takes the cake though when I think of people who get completely nuts once they wind up with that kind of cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Whittaker_(lottery_winner)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There are many, many stories about lottery winners who manage to blow everything within a relatively short time. Here's another...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Post

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The article was a bit unclear, but she is either supporting 6 or 9 kids. That's a lot of mouths to feed.

I wonder how much she could have lived off of if she just bought like 1 million bucks in coke stock and lived off the dividends.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Correct me if I'm wrong but Coca Cola stock is $40/share, so 25,000 shares. The dividend payment in 2013 was $0.28, quarterly, so $1.12 per share for the year, so $28,000. Granted the dividend is higher some years, but I wouldn't want to support a herd of kids on that kind of money, even in Georgia.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MrKatharsis posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Coca Cola stock is $40/share, so 25,000 shares. The dividend payment in 2013 was $0.28, quarterly, so $1.12 per share for the year, so $28,000. Granted the dividend is higher some years, but I wouldn't want to support a herd of kids on that kind of money, even in Georgia.

Man if she'd put the whole ten million into a dividend ETF like ZDF in Canada she would be able to take 487k per year gross. :psyduck: (I don't really understand dividends so correct me if I'm wrong. Also her 10 mil probably would have inflated the fund price a little so it may not be the best choice but still)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Any dividend payouts will be reflected in the share price anyway, I guess the only difference is in that you don't need discipline to only cash out a fixed portion each year.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
15 athletes who went bankrupt.
http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/athletes-bankrupt/
It seems it is possible to burn through any amount of money if you are careless enough. Mike Tyson going from earning $400 million to broke is pretty incredible.
I kind of expect Floyd Mayweather to join this list, if stories of his extravagant spending are true.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Say Nothing posted:

15 athletes who went bankrupt.
http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/athletes-bankrupt/
It seems it is possible to burn through any amount of money if you are careless enough. Mike Tyson going from earning $400 million to broke is pretty incredible.
I kind of expect Floyd Mayweather to join this list, if stories of his extravagant spending are true.

He apparently has 123 million in his bank account. There was a good write up on his opulent lifestyle, but it seems like he still knows how to make the money as well.

Edit: this is the article and it's great -- http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=9630673&src=desktop

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 5, 2014

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Why would you ever keep $123 million in one bank account? I'm really hoping the article meant some sort of investment account and not a checking or savings account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

more friedman units posted:

Why would you ever keep $123 million in one bank account? I'm really hoping the article meant some sort of investment account and not a checking or savings account.

When your expenses are 40 mil a month that's a pretty sound emergency fund, in my opinion.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

TLG James posted:

I wonder how much she could have lived off of if she just bought like 1 million bucks in coke stock and lived off the dividends.

She'd be much better off buying a McDonald's franchise, or maybe Taco Bell.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kitten smoothie posted:

My parents knew a guy who won about $30 million in a lottery back in the early 90s. That game did not offer the option to take a lump sum in lieu of the annuity, so he got 20 years worth of payments. Between buying a bunch of stuff and a divorce, he basically burned through all the money well over a decade before the annuity stopped paying out.

This guy takes the cake though when I think of people who get completely nuts once they wind up with that kind of cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Whittaker_(lottery_winner)

quote:

Three months later on December 20, 2004, Brandi Bragg, 17, was found dead on the property of one of her male friends after being reported missing on December 9. Her body was wrapped inside a plastic tarpaulin and dumped behind a junked van. No one was charged with a crime and the death was ruled an overdose.[5]

:wtf: so before she took drugs she went out to the van, wrapped herself in a tarp then proceeded to OD?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Strong Sauce posted:

:wtf: so before she took drugs she went out to the van, wrapped herself in a tarp then proceeded to OD?

Could easily be that she OD'd and her boyfriend panicked and didn't know what to do with the body.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

tuyop posted:

When your expenses are 40 mil a month that's a pretty sound emergency fund, in my opinion.

I think he meant, in terms of federal insurance of only up to $250,000 per account. I'm assuming his funds are split across multiple accounts AND investment vehicles.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
My wife was catching up with one of her friends from our old city the other day. Before we moved 3 years ago, this friend's sister-in-law was going through a divorce. After selling their house 6 months later, she ended up with about $120k. She apparently used this money to chase her dream of having a yoga studio and/or clothing line. She quit her well-paying, cushy government job, took a bunch of expensive yoga retreats to exotic places to become certified as a yoga instructor, spoiled her 2 kids so that they'd like her more than Dad and managed to otherwise blow through all of the money in the course of 2.5 years and is now living with her mother and owns neither a yoga studio or a clothing line.

I don't feel bad for her, but it sucks for the kids. Working for the government may not be the most rewarding thing in the world, but they pay generously, probably offer the most job security in the country and give more than enough PTO for her to go do yoga on the shores of the Mediterranean once or twice a year. It's not like most cities are hurting for more yoga studios nowadays, but I guess there's money to be made if you can convince a dozen people to come to a villa in Greece with you for a week at $10k/pop.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SpelledBackwards posted:

I think he meant, in terms of federal insurance of only up to $250,000 per account. I'm assuming his funds are split across multiple accounts AND investment vehicles.

Institutions for affluent customers will have private insurance on top of FDIC, usually for millions of dollars.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rockzilla posted:

Working for the government may not be the most rewarding thing in the world, but they pay generously,

Generally speaking, if a government job has a private equivalent, the private equivalent gets paid more; especially for education-required stuff. The rest of that sentence was correct.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Generally speaking, if a government job has a private equivalent, the private equivalent gets paid more; especially for education-required stuff. The rest of that sentence was correct.

Unless you're a social worker like me :smith: Working in CPS is the best shot a social worker has of netting 70k+, and that's only in wealthy areas.

For a story of people who are bad with money, a coworker in CPS just had their 20th anniversary with the county and still scrounges for after hours shifts to make ends meet, and claims contributing to additional retirement beyond the county pension is for chumps. He's nearing 65, and works overnight in addition to his regular shifts at least once a week.

Mocking Bird fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 6, 2014

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I know it's not strictly in line with the thread, but here's a video of some idiot who tries to push MLM on Dragon's Den. The interesting/horrible bit is how convinced he seems to be that it's a solid idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwwC6KuS7Y

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Foxhound posted:

I know it's not strictly in line with the thread, but here's a video of some idiot who tries to push MLM on Dragon's Den. The interesting/horrible bit is how convinced he seems to be that it's a solid idea.

Oh, I think that is strictly in line with the thread.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Foxhound posted:

I'm dying... This guy is such a sucker my god. Do people like this really exist?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lelorox posted:

I'm dying... This guy is such a sucker my god. Do people like this really exist?

I'm glad you asked that. I have a proprietary source of stories of people like this, and as you know there's a lot of interest in hearing these stories. Big interest means big money. Couldn't you use some easy money on the side? Let me set you up with a collection of stories to sell, and I'll throw in a license to resell the stories as long as you pay me a commission, and you can even sell the licenses too! I don't let just anybody in on this, but you seem like the kind of person who can appreciate the opportunity I'm presenting.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

baquerd posted:

I'm glad you asked that. I have a proprietary source of stories of people like this, and as you know there's a lot of interest in hearing these stories. Big interest means big money. Couldn't you use some easy money on the side? Let me set you up with a collection of stories to sell, and I'll throw in a license to resell the stories as long as you pay me a commission, and you can even sell the licenses too! I don't let just anybody in on this, but you seem like the kind of person who can appreciate the opportunity I'm presenting.

I'm in. What Nigerian email address do I send my social security number to?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Ok, so I'm 1 min in, but is he really trying to sell the MLM to the dragons and not just investing in his company?

EDIT: Hahah, oh poo poo, he really is, this is loving great.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 7, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

baquerd posted:

I got nauseous just reading that, there are so many lies there. It is not even polishing up a certain side of the truth but a bundle of false reasoning and horrible twists and turns then based on this.

The only real truth is "I'm glad you asked that", the rest is lies. Yuk.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
"It's in Hungarian Florenz so it's hard to say..." Hahahahaha

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bad with other peoples' money, at least.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
51 seconds in: "a historical business opportunity". Holy poo poo, you know its going to be good.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

olylifter posted:

51 seconds in: "a historical business opportunity". Holy poo poo, you know its going to be good.
If he's going to go with that he might as well say, "Look at this number, it's $10, but look what happens when I add three zeroes to it, now it's $10,000!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

baquerd posted:

To be fair in exchange for our money you would be passing us (comedy) gold so I am now intrigued.

I'm amazed that this guy even got on Dragons' Den. The executive producer must have passed out from laughter.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

To be fair in exchange for our money you would be passing us (comedy) gold so I am now intrigued.

I'm amazed that this guy even got on Dragons' Den. The executive producer must have passed out from laughter.

Cool, I think you'll be amazed at the money making potential. Imagine not having to work again in your life unless you wanted to! My system can set you up for life just like that. Basically, I need a small upfront fee to cover my overhead. In return, I'll get you a premium account with which you can access the stories. Whenever you sign someone else up, just let me know and pass their payment (minus your commission of course) to me, and I'll take care of the rest. For every future distributor you sign up, you get $20, which is really an amazing commission in today's sales market, but I believe in the system enough to offer that to you. The upfront fee is only $100, which you can make back in less than an hour because really these things sell themselves.

Now, are you ready for the best part? I'm not just giving you stories about people bad with money, but thousands of other ridiculously awesome collections. There's collections about just about anything you or anyone else could possibly be interested in: pets, automobiles, cooking, fitness, general bullshit, and so much more. Everything is already organized for you in "threads" which are fully searchable, and you can even add to the collections yourself for free!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Can I do it from the comfort of my home?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oh god that was great. Pretty good throwback to preschool with the shape learning and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

baquerd posted:

Cool, I think you'll be amazed at the money making potential. Imagine not having to work again in your life unless you wanted to! My system can set you up for life just like that. Basically, I need a small upfront fee to cover my overhead. In return, I'll get you a premium account with which you can access the stories. Whenever you sign someone else up, just let me know and pass their payment (minus your commission of course) to me, and I'll take care of the rest. For every future distributor you sign up, you get $20, which is really an amazing commission in today's sales market, but I believe in the system enough to offer that to you. The upfront fee is only $100, which you can make back in less than an hour because really these things sell themselves.

Now, are you ready for the best part? I'm not just giving you stories about people bad with money, but thousands of other ridiculously awesome collections. There's collections about just about anything you or anyone else could possibly be interested in: pets, automobiles, cooking, fitness, general bullshit, and so much more. Everything is already organized for you in "threads" which are fully searchable, and you can even add to the collections yourself for free!

Zoobooks?

• Locked thread