Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Someone start an Only War game where we play as a Morker gang in Gorkamorka, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ronwayne posted:

As soon as they loot an ork trukk that's what's happening.

I imagine that the techpriest assigned to that outfit is undergoing some sort of Mechanicus hazing ritual or was the one who dropped an STC template and broke it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LuiCypher posted:

I imagine that the techpriest assigned to that outfit is undergoing some sort of Mechanicus hazing ritual or was the one who dropped an STC template and broke it.

Or he got a virus and is being quarantined in a crazy unit, hopefully getting killed in the process. Surely only a computer virus could be responsible for things like Trukks and Deff Rollas.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

I think it would be more fun to play as the Techpriest who heard about the regiment and specifically requested the assignment. Those crazies would be super up for me trying loads of weird prototype poo poo on their funbuggies.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

goatface posted:

You want to be at <10m for the sweet, sweet 24 penetration.

And while you're at it, just make it 3m at 90km/h for the point blank bonus too. You can play the part of your average american commuter. (And you probably want the bonus to offset the penalty for moving and shooting as well as shooting a moving vehicle in the same turn.)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hey, does anyone have like a Google spreadsheet or a spreadsheet format or something they like to use for OW/40K RPG character sheets in general? I'm having a hard time keeping track of things just written on the forums, and I was thinking it'd be easier for me if put it together in a bunch of spreadsheet pages. More organized.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, I ran half of a solo game of Only War for my cousin. I was testing out the Recycled Soldier regiment from earlier, though I swapped cranial armor for subskin armor.
He was a Sergeant, gave him two grenadiers and eight grunts, and an Ogryn.

Giving him a formation of troops seemed to work well, though I'm going to need to figure out how comrade orders and sweeping orders work with his formation.

The regiment is scary durable, even when they're underlings in a formation, because they have so much armor. He lost four or five, but that was with 20+ people firing on him as he was clearing barbed wire.
I don't think it was possible to damage the squad's Ogryn at all without heavier weapons than I gave the enemy platoon (autoguns&heavy stubbers). And the Ogryn could just stroll through the wire.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Close-Quarters Battle regimental doctrine, and Condemned is a very unbalancing, restrictive disadvantage; you can't get gear.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Well, I am pretty much 99% prepared to run my group through Rejoice For You Are True. I have taken considerable notes, and have all the areas I need referenced, not to mention tried to plan out contingencies for some of the player's crazier schemes. We have 5 Acolytes in the group ranging from 2500-4000 Experience in development: Psycher(Telekine), Arbitrator, Guardsman, Scum, and Tech-Priest(Cyber Mastiff Handler). My group meets once a week and the weather killed our last meeting, and another set of plans will prevent us from playing for about two more weeks, so I am taking the time to read up on future campaign and establish what order I want to run some of them in.

Does anyone have any pointers on effective ways to make starting villains a tad more powerful to handle characters of rank 3-5. For example in Rejoice For You Are True, Theodosius seems tough on the surface, and while I am confident I can escape the acolytes during the chase scene, I am curious if anyone has some first hand experience with the campaign. I figure I may just give him a fate point or 2 along with another 10 wounds. Given how I grant players cumulative experience for their time played I have little hesitation in killing PCs, because I really am out to reinforce how deadly Dark Heresy is to the players, but at the same time I don't want them to steamroll the only serious threat there is in this particular campaign.

I also read The Dark Sepulchre, and I really liked the tendency of the game to award Fatigue Levels for failed physical tests. This seemed like a better option than letting players plummet to their doom when they botch their 1st climbing/acrobatics tests because they had rather spent their experience on Telekine Blade or something...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Fate Points is IMO a fine solution. I use a dice roller or screen to hide my rolls, and fudge anything that would end the game in a boring or too premature fashion. The discussion of fudging is a whole other discussion, but I'd encourage the fate points for this case.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

As anyone else read the Apostasy Gambit, and noticed some real issues in the quality of writing? The Black Sepulcher seems really mediocre, and seems to lack important details. The same goes for The Church of the Damned.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Uroboros posted:

As anyone else read the Apostasy Gambit, and noticed some real issues in the quality of writing? The Black Sepulcher seems really mediocre, and seems to lack important details. The same goes for The Church of the Damned.

My group actually just finished The Black Sepulchre. The editing is atrocious and there are a lot of important details that just aren't talked about. If you're going to run it, I encourage you to read through the entire adventure before starting so you know where things are going. It wasn't all bad though - I routinely made a point about how poorly written it was, which was good for a few laughs. One of the more glaring oversights is the Haemetite Cathedral map player handout. Its legend contains areas 1, 2, 3, and 5. Area 4 is a hidden area and thus doesn't appear on the map, but still. My personal favorite was the phrase "inTestinal fortitude" (Tests are a game concept and thus capitalized :downs:). The PDF is also weirdly formatted such that some of the sidebars render at like 5% opacity on tablets.

I skimmed the first two chapters of Church of the Damned and it seemed a little better in the editing department but still pretty linear.

After playing The Black Sepulchre my group is taking a break from Dark Heresy.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Clanpot Shake posted:

My group actually just finished The Black Sepulchre. The editing is atrocious and there are a lot of important details that just aren't talked about. If you're going to run it, I encourage you to read through the entire adventure before starting so you know where things are going. It wasn't all bad though - I routinely made a point about how poorly written it was, which was good for a few laughs. One of the more glaring oversights is the Haemetite Cathedral map player handout. Its legend contains areas 1, 2, 3, and 5. Area 4 is a hidden area and thus doesn't appear on the map, but still. My personal favorite was the phrase "inTestinal fortitude" (Tests are a game concept and thus capitalized :downs:). The PDF is also weirdly formatted such that some of the sidebars render at like 5% opacity on tablets.

I skimmed the first two chapters of Church of the Damned and it seemed a little better in the editing department but still pretty linear.

After playing The Black Sepulchre my group is taking a break from Dark Heresy.

Yes, FFG's editing and proofing is legendary amongst our group. I think the key FFG trope that pisses us off is the fact that there's so many situations in their scenarios where the investigation can grind to a halt because nobody made the -30 Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) test, or even had the skill.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yoshimo posted:

Yes, FFG's editing and proofing is legendary amongst our group. I think the key FFG trope that pisses us off is the fact that there's so many situations in their scenarios where the investigation can grind to a halt because nobody made the -30 Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) test, or even had the skill.

Its really the worst. The best part about it is that testing groups are asked not to comment on editing issues and they seem to have a profound over expectation of the skills and attributes of the party on checks that provide very little information.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yoshimo posted:

They're just staying true to the old WHFRP 2e roots of the whole system. God knows there were a ton of 'You have a party of 1st Career PCs with 30-40 in their skills, make a -20 skill check or investigation stops' scenes in those adventures.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

A major issue is, other than exploding psyker charts, 40krpgs have no ways to make failure interesting.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. It just seemed odd to be considering how well the Purge the Unclean campaigns were by comparison although it is clear they came out much earlier. Should I run the Apostasy Gambit I feel I am going to have to do a good amount of editing and preplanning to prevent any hang-ups. With Purge the Unclean the campaigns seem to come with plenty of "what if the players do something stupid" suggestions to allow you to adapt more effectively. Hell, I when I ran my players through The Price of Hubris Deathwatch Campaign there was a whole section devoted to if your Space Marines decide they aren't going to listen to the locals and play any of their bullshit games, and generally just be assholes who do whatever they want. I remember reading on here that some people didn't enjoy this campaign, but I felt it worked out pretty well.

Anyone know if the Harlock Saga/Trilogy was any better?

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I think I might have missed it in reading through the previous pages, but does anyone have any advice for writing up Lord General Castor and Sergeant-Major Merrick from Retribution in Only War?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

A major issue is, other than exploding psyker charts, 40krpgs have no ways to make failure interesting.

You just have to map out what happens across a reasonable spectrum of degrees of success and failure. It's a pain but it's no worse than any other game where you can fail at something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gideon020 posted:

I think I might have missed it in reading through the previous pages, but does anyone have any advice for writing up Lord General Castor and Sergeant-Major Merrick from Retribution in Only War?

Castor would probably be a high level Sergeant to Commander to Sharpshooter, while Merrick would be Heavy to Sentry with some leadership skills added in, if you were building them like PCs. Otherwise, remember that these two had a buddy cop movie wherein they successfully worked for an Inquisitor and lived, and killed a loving Demon Prince, so they should be pretty potent.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Castor would probably be a high level Sergeant to Commander to Sharpshooter, while Merrick would be Heavy to Sentry with some leadership skills added in, if you were building them like PCs. Otherwise, remember that these two had a buddy cop movie wherein they successfully worked for an Inquisitor and lived, and killed a loving Demon Prince, so they should be pretty potent.

So I would probably need point-fudging, giving Merrick the Unnatural Strength trait, and maybe a house-rule for Castor's augmetic arm and it's ability to hold steady a rifle-sized weapon while leaving his right arm free to duel?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wouldn't worry too much about characters like that in gameplay, honestly, unless you're intending to run a campaign for players playing as them. Extremely powerful supporting NPCs and such are usually a warning flag.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about characters like that in gameplay, honestly, unless you're intending to run a campaign for players playing as them. Extremely powerful supporting NPCs and such are usually a warning flag.

Yeah, it was actually as PC's for a short scenario or two.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

kingcom posted:

Its really the worst. The best part about it is that testing groups are asked not to comment on editing issues and they seem to have a profound over expectation of the skills and attributes of the party on checks that provide very little information.

Both the DH2 beta forum and the Star Wars beta forum have a completely separate subforum just for proofreading issues. The alpha testing might have asked you to ignore editing stuff but the public betas definitely pay attention to that kind of thing.

Uroboros posted:

Thanks for the feedback. It just seemed odd to be considering how well the Purge the Unclean campaigns were by comparison although it is clear they came out much earlier. Should I run the Apostasy Gambit I feel I am going to have to do a good amount of editing and preplanning to prevent any hang-ups. With Purge the Unclean the campaigns seem to come with plenty of "what if the players do something stupid" suggestions to allow you to adapt more effectively. Hell, I when I ran my players through The Price of Hubris Deathwatch Campaign there was a whole section devoted to if your Space Marines decide they aren't going to listen to the locals and play any of their bullshit games, and generally just be assholes who do whatever they want. I remember reading on here that some people didn't enjoy this campaign, but I felt it worked out pretty well.

Anyone know if the Harlock Saga/Trilogy was any better?

I found the first adventure workable. Just read the whole thing so you know what's going on the whole time. Maybe read the intros of the trilogy so you know where the whole arc is headed. The plot is actually kind of cool.

I haven't run Haarlock's, but it opens with the trite "you wake up in prison with none of your gear" thing which seems dumb.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ronwayne posted:

But those exploding psyker charts are glorious. I just played something last night where as the Librarian, I deliberately pushed a power just to roll on Psychic Phenomena (and annihilate the dud Krak grenade I had placed on a Hammerhead Gunship's railgun). Not only did I fail the WP check (I didn't get to Smite it...), I also rolled Perils of the Warp. I also rolled for the psychic explosion which tosses you in the air... Except there was a Hammerhead gunship on top of me (after I placed the dud grenade and dropped down, a battle brother took out one of the engines and it floated over me). The GM decided to roll a bit to have some fun, and it turned out that the Hammerhead rolled exceptionally poorly... So he decided that the force of the psychic explosion pounded me 4 meters into the dirt and stunned me for the next round (in additional to dealing some damage to me), but that it also caused the Hammerhead to roll over badly and render the railgun inoperable - which is what I was trying to do in the first place.

It was honestly the best Perils of the Warp check result possible. An incredible combination of failure, luck, and being in the right place at the right time.

Other failed checks that were particularly memorable included the Flesh Tearer failing a Willpower Test and trying to murder an Ethereal despite being in a position of extreme weakness (i.e., lot of Tau with big guns pointed in his general direction). The GM let him live (albeit incapacitated) and gave him bonus XP for making it a particularly well-roleplayed encounter.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ronwayne posted:

Failed investigation stuff could easily be misleading/incorrect information that leads the team sort of the right way, but not quite. Maybe they're following the wrong guy/thing and simply stumble into the right thing, in a bad situation for themselves (or get stumbled onto by the enemy). Or they miss part of the info, so that a later task/combat that could have been avoided instead occurs or is worse. They could find all the info, but get noticed snooping around and tip off the enemy. There's a million ways to take "failure" other than simply pulling a Billy Madison, "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gideon020 posted:

Yeah, it was actually as PC's for a short scenario or two.

In that case, take them to badass town and rock the 41st millennium so hard it'll think it's been hit by an autocannon that somehow also fires artillery strikes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

The Gate posted:

Failed investigation stuff could easily be misleading/incorrect information that leads the team sort of the right way, but not quite. Maybe they're following the wrong guy/thing and simply stumble into the right thing, in a bad situation for themselves (or get stumbled onto by the enemy). Or they miss part of the info, so that a later task/combat that could have been avoided instead occurs or is worse. They could find all the info, but get noticed snooping around and tip off the enemy. There's a million ways to take "failure" other than simply pulling a Billy Madison, "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The problem is that FFG never actually points this out. It's always "you fail your roll, too bad".

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My Black Crusade players are now at the point where the authorities are starting to pay attention to the gatherings of their 100s followers, which they are actively recruiting more of and outfitting with the purpose of taking over the (currently Imperial) system. Thing is, the system is a minor Navy hub and typically has a bunch of ships loitering about and the party realizes that they have to do something about that, stealing/sabotaging some and having a big fight with the rest. Instead of spending days rolling up Rogue Trader ship stats and inviting my party to MathHammer at it for days until they have the ideal solution, I made a list of ships and a small blurb about what's special about them. Still, I can't really predict what my players will do so if you wouldn't mind, could any of you look over this player handout and tell me what you would do if you had the option of semi-reliably boarding a few ships with the element of surprise and slipping remotely detonated bombs onto most others that will probably not kill them but at least reduce their fighting effectiveness onto a few others?

Anything but the two ships on long range patrols can both be boarded or bombed through a fake supply shuttle, any one of the docked ships can (possibly) fall to heresy without the use of force but one of them changing sides will signal the start of the civil war and the others will immediately purge any heretical elements among their crews so this can only happen to one of them, at most. As always, better ship=more difficulty so while that damaged Corvette will almost surely flip, the Ad Mech super frigate will require all the party's wits and a significant portion of their time to convince it to join and boarding a ship full of secutors, skitarii and murder servitors is still a terrible idea. Likewise, cruisers will defeat any boarding attempt unless the party throws the majority of their cult at it.

The party will have half a dozen bombs and two dozen boarding shuttles worth of cultists, requiring two to take over a raider hull(just one for the Viper), five for a frigate and fifteen for any of the bigger ships(includes the Ad Mech boat). Devoting all their time to making the Ad Mech ship go Heretek cuts their supply of both bombs and shuttles by a third. Extra shuttles boosts success chance/reduces the chance that the boarders take so many losses they can't fly the ship.

If any of my players are secretly goons: Don't read this unless you want to get spoiled on a handout for this week's session(or next week, if you turn out to be terrible at growing a cult).

Player Handout posted:

Hadriana's Will - Lunar Cruiser(flagship)

Worn down by millennia of campaigning, there is little left for this rusting veteran but to lead a reserve fleet until the nearest shipyard can get around to salvaging it but it's crew still upholds it's long tradition of proud and exemplary service. Currently guarding one of Velorum's two warp transition points.

Red Hand - Endeavour Light Cruiser

A privately owned pirate hunter and a common sight around the spaceport of Velorum where it's captain auctions off cargo seized from the holds of raiders and captured pirates who agreed to a life of servitude as penance for their crimes. Currently orbiting Velorum Prime.

Watchful Gaze - Dauntless Light Cruiser

A long range Navy ship operating out Velorum and the main source of imperial authority for outlying systems. Rarely returns to port. Rival of the Red Hand, which the crew sees as a slave trader, barely any better than the pirates it fights. Currently on a mission and not due to return for another season.

Sphyrna - Falchion Frigate

A torpedo frigate equipped for long range patrols, this recent newcomer to the Velorum fleet is assigned to escorting the Watchful Gaze on it's distant travels. Many claim that such a small ship is unsuitable for travelling as far afield as the Watchful Gaze but the Sphyrna is equiped with top quality life sustainers and has performed very well so far. Currently escorting the Watchful Gaze.

Carcharias - Firestorm Frigate

This lance frigate is "adopted" by the Adeptus Mechanicus of Velorum because of it's exotic armament. Because of this, it receives far better maintenance than other ships in exchange for knowledge about ship construction, a fact which leads to some resentment among other ship crews. Currently docked at Velorum Prime.

Stalwart - Sword Frigate

Oldest of the Swords still in service with the sector fleet. Although launched in the same decade as Hadriana's Will, it's smaller size made it easier to maintain and the ship is in far better condition. Large parts of it's long service history is not recorded however. Most blame this curious fact on the ship Remembrancer being killed in battle but some whisper that the Stalwart once served the Inquisition. Currently patrolling the outer system of Velorum with the Dies Irae.

Vigilant - Sword Frigate

Despite being younger than the Stalwart by nearly a millennium, the Vigilant holds the record for most "kills" in battle among the sector fleet. It's captain claims that this is because the Vigilant's highly motivated crew and excellent armament, it's detractors(mostly Stalwart crew members) point out this is only the case because much of the Stalwart's history has been lost. Currently patrolling the inner system of Velorum with the Armageddon.

Dutiful - Sword Frigate

Nearing it's first millennium of age, the ship and it's seasoned crew are Velorum's main defence from pirates and raiders. Was involved in a friendly fire incident with the Red Hand while pursuing one such pirate. Official records list it as an accident but most of the crew believes the Red Hand intentionally crippled the Dutiful's engines so it could be the one to capture the pirate ship. Currently guarding Velorum's other warp transition point.

Dies Irae - Claymore Corvette

Built as a replacement for the "Pious", a Sword class Frigate which suffered a catastrophic plasma drive explosion while returning from an anti-piracy mission. It's image of being incapable of filling the shoes of it's predecessor isn't helped by it's green crew and poorly built armament. Currently patrolling the inner system of Velorum with the Stalwart.

Armageddon - Claymore Corvette

Being assigned to the Armageddon is seen as a punishment by Navy captains because of it's temperamental engine, infamously unruly crew and often being the ship responsible for "babysitting" the Lux. While it's crew members do not like being told what to do, they do take pride in keeping "their" ship in prime condition. Currently patrolling the inner system of Velorum with the Vigilant.

Ragnarök - Claymore Corvette

Formerly "Apocalypse", this ship went missing during a routine patrol and was only recovered many months later when the Red Hand towed it's burnt out hulk back to Velorum, claiming to have found it adrift near the lair of a notorious pirate. When it was rebuilt, the ship was given a new name. Currently docked at Velorum Prime.

Wyrm - Cobra Destroyer

The Wyrm received the last transmission of the Pious shortly before it's destruction: "The bastard tells them where the merchants are, they give the stolen cargo to him and the profit from his auctions is split between them". The Wyrm used to be the system's pirate hunter but after a deadly incident with the ship's life sustainers, this position was taken by the Lamia and the Wyrm as re-assigned to local patrols only. Currently escorting the Dutiful.

Naga - Cobra Destroyer

A fairly new addition to Velorum's fleet, the Naga's officers rule the ship with an iron fist and expect nothing but the best from it's enlisted. This results in the ship having the most disciplined crew in the fleet, a fact which is sadly tempered by persistent issues with the ship's primary armament. Currently escorting the Dutiful.

Serpent - Cobra Destroyer

A rising star among the Velorum fleet, the Serpent's weapons were recently overhauled completely, eclipsing even the Lamia and it's extensive collection of archeotech seized from pirates in power. It's presence is a welcome sight among any patrol group, mainly for it's combat ability but also for the fresh fruit from it's new hydroponics bay, which it shares freely in exchange for favours. Currently escorting the Dutiful.

Dragon - Cobra Destroyer

The Dragon possesses by far the best drive system of all the Cobras in the Velorum fleet. It's moment of glory came when the Lux lost control over it's plasma drives and was about to crash into Velorum Prime, threatening billions. The Dragon positioned itself in the path of the runaway ship and although a disaster was averted, the Dragon's weapons were damaged beyond repair, a fact the crew won't soon forget. Currently docked at Velorum Prime.

Lamia - Cobra Destroyer

Assigned to hurt pirates, the Lamia often escorts the Red Hand, a lucrative business as it allows the small destroyer to lay claim to exotic and powerful systems from foes it couldn't defeat by itself. After the Red Hand recovered the wreck of the Apocalypse, an unknown person hijacked a maintaince shuttle and used cleaning foam to spray the words "BRIBE MONEY" in house sized letters across the Lamia's new augur array. Currently orbiting Velorum Prime.

Cadaverous/Eternal Supplication - Hazeroth Privateer

A former pirate vessel captured by the Red Hand and sold to the Navy along with it's crew. A strict meritocracy was instituted by it's old captain, resulting in great productivity among it's crew. The older crew members still dislike the Red Hand for "cheating" by capturing the Cadaverous while anchored and claim that their location was only known to other pirates. Currently guarding the spaceport of Velorum Prime.

Law Abiding Citizen/Repentance - Havoc Merchant Raider

This ironically named pirate vessel was captured by the Watchful Gaze and the Sphyrna during a raid on a pirate stronghold. The ship was severely tainted by heresy and almost the entire crew was thrown out of the airlocks upon capture. There are persistent rumours among it's new crew that something still haunts the decks. Currently serving as escort for Hadriana's Will.

Glorious Herald Of The Emperor's Benevolent Radiance And Most Pure And Righteous Victory Over The Unenlightened Savages, Dark-minded Heretics, Scheming Xenos, Vile Heathens And All Their Foul Designs - Viper Scout Sloop

Velorum's first and only locally built voidship, it was originally launched under the name "Lux" almost a quarter of a century ago. It's systems are plagued with reliability issues and it lacks a warp drive. Each time it has to be towed back to port for repairs, it receives a new name, one character longer than the last. Currently in drydock at Velorum Prime, undergoing extensive repairs.
In return, feel free to use any of this if you need an Imperial flotilla for any of your own games.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

Both the DH2 beta forum and the Star Wars beta forum have a completely separate subforum just for proofreading issues. The alpha testing might have asked you to ignore editing stuff but the public betas definitely pay attention to that kind of thing.

Given every book goes through alpha testing and all of 3 books have gone through open beta, thats not an encouraging sign.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Asehujiko posted:

Still, I can't really predict what my players will do so if you wouldn't mind, could any of you look over this player handout and tell me what you would do if you had the option of semi-reliably boarding a few ships with the element of surprise and slipping remotely detonated bombs onto most others that will probably not kill them but at least reduce their fighting effectiveness onto a few others?

Option 1: Flip the ad-mech ship, bomb the cruisers in the system (2 bombs each), board the Swords (6 shuttles each?). If successful, would leave the players with three Swords and a pimped Firestorm, and the defenders with nothing larger than a Claymore.

Option 2: Flip the docked Claymore, board the Lunar (20 shuttles) and the two other Claymores (2 shuttles each), bomb the Endeavour, the Swords, and the Firestorm (one bomb per frigate, two for the light cruiser). If successful, this would leave the players with a Lunar class cruiser and an escort contingent of 3 Claymores, against a bunch of raiders and damaged frigates.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Board little ships, set bombs, ram big ships.
Chainsaw survivors? Or rescue them and convert them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
1. Manufacture an incident between the Red Hand and one of the Navy ships, preferably the Cadaverous/Eternal Supplication. Spread unease among the ranks of the Navy by playing on the rivalry/resentment between the Red Hand and the Dutiful, mixed with some rumours that the C/ES was in the throes of mutiny and about to go rogue. Let the situation simmer.

2. Take the swords and their escorts, bomb the flagship and anything else at that warp point, bomb that scout sloop so it can't run away, bomb anything else that can outrun you and isn't the Red Hand. Keep spreading sedition while you imply that the Red Hand is behind it all, bring some Chaos to the system while making sure that nothing leaves.

3. Seize the Red Hand. Destroy everything else you can't steal. Drop the space dock onto the planet.

4. Leave.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Go all Know No Fear, and have your followers hijack the least defended ship firing up its sub-light speed drives at the system's edge crashing it into the remainder of the fleet at rest at the orbital stations causing the entire orbital docks to crash into the planet killing billions. All of this is obviously part of a grand sacrifice for one of your players to become a Demon-Prince, everyone else is just a stepping stone.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

What IS the difference between a huge fuckup that kills billions and a ritual to do the same in the name of Chaos?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

What IS the difference between a huge fuckup that kills billions and a ritual to do the same in the name of Chaos?

The chanting.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

1. Manufacture an incident between the Red Hand and one of the Navy ships, preferably the Cadaverous/Eternal Supplication. Spread unease among the ranks of the Navy by playing on the rivalry/resentment between the Red Hand and the Dutiful, mixed with some rumours that the C/ES was in the throes of mutiny and about to go rogue. Let the situation simmer.

2. Take the swords and their escorts, bomb the flagship and anything else at that warp point, bomb that scout sloop so it can't run away, bomb anything else that can outrun you and isn't the Red Hand. Keep spreading sedition while you imply that the Red Hand is behind it all, bring some Chaos to the system while making sure that nothing leaves.

3. Seize the Red Hand. Destroy everything else you can't steal. Drop the space dock onto the planet.

4. Leave.

This makes me wish that Grey's game hadn't ended. Stealing everything that wasn't nailed down never got old.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

The chanting.

Well, it is canon that "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH" is just a W away from being a method to channel warp energy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ronwayne posted:

One's point of view.

Or what happens next.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The number of goats involved. In most cases, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

apostateCourier posted:

This makes me wish that Grey's game hadn't ended. Stealing everything that wasn't nailed down never got old.

Now you get to steal more stuff though! From superheroes!