Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Stupid question, is RG Freedom compatible with the HG Meteor packs?
Not stupid because I have the same idea.

Looking at the manual for the METEOR on Dalong, I'm going to tentatively say yes. There aren't any peg and hole connections between the two; the METEOR carries the weight by cradling the Freedom under the arms and the Freedom's hands grab a couple of handles, which don't look like they support the weight. I suspect the RG Justice will work too, since the HG Justice was pictured in the METEOR too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

It mostly will, but I think Bandai released a limited METEOR that had better compatibility with the RGs. I think the original HG METEOR will still work though.

Edit: \/\/\/ - double checking, I think you're right.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 5, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

It mostly will, but I think Bandai released a limited METEOR that had better compatibility with the RGs. I think the original HG METEOR will still work though.

wasnt it the same molds with some extra detail etched in and way more stickers?
I remember the product pictures looking barely better than the HG

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TARDISman posted:

Yes. The HG METEOR is compatible with anything that's the general size of a 1/144 Freedom/Justice. And again, yes, the "RG METEOR" is just the original HG with some slight retouching. It takes an enormous amount of effort to make it look good.

Check out jabman025's review of it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Whoever was talking about how sturdy the Zaku II 2.0 was, wasn't kidding. This is a good-feeling kit with way more articulation than one might expect. My only real complaints would be the lack of a proper peg system for the weapons to mount on(the machine gun in particular feels real floppy in one hand) and the pipes. Oh, man, my hands still hurt from moving segments along those pipes. The old way was way worse, but it hurt a lot less afterwards.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Work on my custom 00 continues. I've cleaned up most of the nubs I had on it (I built the thing pretty much just when I was getting into gunpla), and finished modding the 0 Raiser's binders to fit onto the shoulder mounts. I was originally planning on positioning the binders in some other fashion than the 00R's,

but honestly this really does work best. On the sides the binders can easily turn anyway they please, don't get in the way of the GN drive on the back, and most importantly

can be easily grabbed by the hands. The sword forms still aren't done yet (waiting on some epoxy putty), but surprisingly it only took two coats of Future to get the hands to hold the things up. I was seriously expecting to brush on at least four.

Still left to do: kitbash on parts from the HG Arios, mod the chest and the knees, make two other backpacks, repaint everything 0 Gundam colors, and figure out what I want to do with the head.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
drat, that's awesome. You're making me wish that was an actual kit! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, that's looking pretty drat cool.

Maybe leave the head without a V-fin or other adornments? It almost looks cool just round like it is now, but that's maybe just me. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Use half of the white V-fin so there's just one blade antenna going back at an angle.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

V-fin mohawk. In the same way that Tallgeese is basically a super leo with a mohawk.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

Tallgeese

Well that's one way to use the 0 Raiser's windshield. :v:

This is supposed to be a grunt, though, so I'm probably just going to kick out the V-fin altogether. I'll sand the eye piece down to turn it into a visor, tint it clear green, and then get some putty to fill in where the goatee used to be.

I really wanted to find a way to work in the 00's head jewel, but it just looked kind of silly by itself.

EDIT: Oh hey, I forgot I had these pictures on my phone.

Behold: the 00R's waverider form.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 6, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
GN Heat Horn. :whatup:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the first waverider form looked the great, the second is hilarious. Good thing its not G, most pilots couldnt pull that off

Is anyone here going to buy "gundam extreme vs full burst" for ps3?
Im looking for a psn gameshare

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 6, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: nvm Fauxtool, I read that wrong.

Back on topic, that 00 grunt is looking good so far. I wish "lead suit" grunts were more common in Gundam. I want a grunt Wing. :)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of or used any decals like these before?

I'm thinking of replacing the lovely foil stickers that are all over the place on my Sinanju, but I don't know if I should just go with the regular chrome waterslides or these. They sound cool, but I dunno if it's just a chromed dry-apply decal or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of or used any decals like these before?

I'm thinking of replacing the lovely foil stickers that are all over the place on my Sinanju, but I don't know if I should just go with the regular chrome waterslides or these. They sound cool, but I dunno if it's just a chromed dry-apply decal or something.

Those look like they're photoetched metal parts. If so, they are extremely thin pieces of metal. The listing says they have an adhesive backing but you may have to glue them down. They may be difficult to work around sharp corners.

Photoetched details look awesome when done well, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

aaaaah why can't dorm room desks be larger how can I simultaneously work on three kits like this

This is my first time ever tinting clear plastic with Future, so there's a very high chance that it was incredibly stupid of me to just go all in without testing. Oh well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There is nothing like sitting down to do an afternoon of airbrushing only to realize you left your brush soaking in cleaner all weekend and most of it evaporated, leaving some gunk inside. Ah well, it needed a good detail cleaning anyway.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Well, I sent my final email off to R4L after not being able to get ahold of anyone after another call. We'll see where this goes. Are we getting an MG Sengoku Astray, because my Red Frame Kai has seen better days.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Are we getting an MG Sengoku Astray

Yep.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bimmi posted:

This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about Robots4Less and their prices aren't even that good, so i dunno if there's any real reason to use them.

Hobbywave sent me a $75 kit with a box that had somehow been badly crushed before it was even packed and refused to respond to my emails so gently caress 'em.

I know this is late and I meant to ask, but what other complaints have you heard from them?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Didn't make note of the specifics, just that there's been some grousing here and there. May mean nothing at all, seems just about every retailer out there has generated a complaint somewhere along the line.

I've decided that AmiAmi will be my go-to for any future buys – Good prices, fast shipping, and everything I've bought from them has arrived in perfect condition. I also like getting my kit boxes free of all the idiot stickers that US resellers are obliged to apply.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I painted some eyes!

Those are the v2.0 Zaku and v3.0 RX-78-2 MGs, and as enormous as the nubs look on the bottom of the Gundam's helmet, they're small enough that I can barely see them unaided. I guess that's what I get for using a macro lens, I thought it'd make some cool photos but it's late and I should have been shooting with daylight instead.

Here's some pictures of the finished kits. Both of them are super sturdy, although the sheer number of little flaps and bits on the Gundam 3.0 make it kind of a hassle to pose. Bandai definitely, DEFINITELY learned their lesson when it came to the hands, though; the ball joints fit together much better than the Nu ver. Ka, and I haven't had a single knuckle try to escape yet!

(Those last two are the same kit, sorry for the color difference. I blame my camera having a real hard time with my lovely illumination.)

I also built a MG Ez8, but I smudged red paint on the face while building it and I haven't cleaned it off yet. It looks like it was involved in a heavy makeout session with Nobel Gundam or something; it's kind of embarassing. I have a Gundam Marker Eraser; what's in that? It smells like rubbing alcohol; is that all?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zaku looks great, cant tell if gundam looks good or not

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm severely disappointed at the lack of baseball poses in this thread.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's no Builders Parts baseball set yet man, what can you expect?

Anyways this was the best I could do on such short notice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who needs baseball when you have disco?

Actually, I'm kind of curious to see what other folks' full collections look like, instead of the odd single kit. I'll post mine as soon as I can find my bloody camera.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
For the ridiculous amount of kits I own I really don't have many on display at all, and I like it that way:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The Zaku Amazing is not so amazing at baseball poses.

And that's my entire collection for the moment, I have an Exia in the mail and I'm waiting for the Build Strike Full Package to actually go through on HLJ.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Hey, Gunpla Thread Fans! So, we're 22 months and 83 pages into the current thread, so I'm thinking it's time we went ahead and moved onto a fourth incarnation. I'm willing to copy-and-paste most of write the new thread, but if someone else wants to, I'd be happy to let one of y'all give it a shot.

I do want to ask a few questions, though, in order to make the new Gunpla thread even better than before. You guys don't have to fill out a survey post where you answer every single one of these questions individually. I'm just trying to figure out what we all want out of the Gunpla thread and figured some of those questions might help guide discussion.

1. Is the format still acceptable? Is it helpful? Does it convey enough information about the different grades, different companies, different franchises, etc.?

2. Is there anything that should be added or modified such as model kit or toy lines that are obviously missing or information about a particular line that isn't up to date?

3. Is there more of any kind of discussion you'd like to see more (or less) of? Would you guys like to see more talk about non-model kit types of merchandise like action figures, diecast toys, statues, etc.? Basically, should we expand the scope of the thread to other types of merchandise, narrow our focus on specifically model kits, or keep the same focus model kits and toys based on mecha franchises?

4. Do you guys like the reviews and projects from previous and current threads posted on the first page? Should we continue those like we have in past threads?

5. Are there any links to review sites, tutorials, or stores that are blatantly missing from the first post?

Thanks for your feedback in advance, guys.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd be fine with writing a new thread.

1. Yeah it works.

2. Honestly I think you could cut out some of the more outdated lines like FG, AG, and EX. Aside from that, maybe mention some resin?

3. At this point I'd be happy to see any sort of discussion at all. :v: Maybe change the title to reflect that.

4. They're neat, but nobody's really contributed any in a long time.

5. You've got most of the important stuff I think.

The bigger question is what should the name of the new thread be.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Some guidelines on painting and additional recommended equipment would be appreciated next time around. Also, that floor wax guide picture.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Dunno if I'd ditch the EX entry. The line was pretty extensive and some are still available – it might be helpful for anyone wondering where all the ships are.

But yeah, AG el oh fuckin' ell.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I'd love to recommend equipment, tools, paint, supplies, etc., but I'd need some in thread recommendations to pull those off since I'm not a particularly skilled or seasoned modeler myself. Other than the fact that I know Tamiya rules. Otherwise, we've got some REALLY helpful links in OP already. I'll make sure that those links are easy to find.

And yeah, I'd probably keep EX along with Hard Graph (the Core Fighter didn't come out THAT long ago[edit: actually, it came out in 2011, which is now officially three years ago :wtc:]), but Advanced Grade AGE will definitely be dumped. Still would keep No Grade 1/144, though, just as a warning. Aftermarket parts and resin kits are probably worth mentioning too.

But yeah, keep up the comments, guys. It's really helpful.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh wow, I completely forgot what the EX line even was for a second there. Yeah, definitely keep that in.

You may as well link the /toy/ guide, it covers recommended equipment pretty well. And it has basic painting tips. Man we really need to update that.

In other news, Gentei Kits is reporting that their parts service will be coming back up soon. This seems to fit with Tatsu Hobby's upcoming service, so whatever Bandai was doing they've seemed to have stopped now.

And in case anybody even cares anymore, progress report on 00 grunt:

Red parts have been repainted dark gray. The Future tinting was a disaster; gonna have to clean it off and try again with some actual food coloring. In hindsight mixing Future and unthinned Tamiya clear green probably wasn't a good idea. :downs:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I for one would like to see some garage kit discussion. Im sure someone out there does them and knows they dont fit in the warhammer or miniature painting threads.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

And in case anybody even cares anymore, progress report on 00 grunt:
Looking good, but maybe cut/sand down the entire 0-Raiser's base until you can mount the GN drive a bit more vertical?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know I'd love to see some talk on painting, because I'm hilariously incompetent, and really terrified of loving up an expensive kit. I guess that's a thing that comes from building more or less exclusively MG or higher, but it'd be cool to pick folks' brains.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'd love to recommend equipment, tools, paint, supplies, etc., but I'd need some in thread recommendations to pull those off since I'm not a particularly skilled or seasoned modeler myself. Other than the fact that I know Tamiya rules. Otherwise, we've got some REALLY helpful links in OP already. I'll make sure that those links are easy to find.

Some tool info would be cool, but I'd really like to see a section on other products. I usually use Plastruct plastic weld, Armory Clear Matte topcoat, and Microscale Micro Sol decal setting solution, but all the talk about using the (super expensive) Tamiya stuff kinda makes me feel like I'm using some awful garbage. Having good info on that would be such a godsend for me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

I know I'd love to see some talk on painting, because I'm hilariously incompetent, and really terrified of loving up an expensive kit. I guess that's a thing that comes from building more or less exclusively MG or higher, but it'd be cool to pick folks' brains.

I pretty much exclusively build mg's with the occasional Rg. What in particular are you worried about messing up? If you make a mistake in painting, you can always strip the paint (I use acrylic so windex strips it off). The thing is though, once you paint you have to commit to it, especially if you use primer. I highly recommend painting a kit, I've found it actually saved me money on gunpla kits since it takes me longer to finish one, so I'm not burning through kits so quickly. It also makes them look much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Frankly if possible, I'd love to see a goon guide for some of the basics and such compiled from people here. I know /toy/ has a guide, but I know 4chan is a bit of a barrier for people. The LP Subforum has some pretty intricate guides and such, and I'm sure putting our heads together we could get some stuff done for the basics and some maybe advanced stuff.

• Locked thread