Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Because it's paired with him physically assaulting her and telling her to shut up.

It's a gag, Egoraptor is a pretty hardcore feminist and champions having more female protagonists in video games and he'll usually always pick a female avatar if he can to promote his viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

It's a gag, Egoraptor is a pretty hardcore feminist and champions having more female protagonists in video games and he'll usually always pick a female avatar if he can to promote his viewpoint.

I don't know why you'd bring up this topic again, and I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because he clearly uses her to promote something he disagrees with. (forced tutorials) But regardless of other works it still doesn't keep that video from being disturbing because of the way he treats her in that video.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, he uses her because she's in a good position to have served as a tutorial person like the one in the later X games, though he could have easily replaced her with Dr. Light or Auto, I suppose it maybe wouldn't have been as funny.

Anyway, I was reading the thread from where I last left it, and forgot to consider date of posting when reading, so it didn't occur to me that it was posted a few topics ago. Whoops.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aaanyway, are there any Advances in SF3 that are actually worth using? All my knowledge about them comes from BN1 where it's basically "put three of the same card together", but there's like only one combination that works for in this game. Can I just ignore them and throw a bunch of cards at things instead?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Bifrost is a dude. Queenbee the Hymenopteroid and Hedgeshock the Erinaceroid were the only female Pseudoroids in ZXA

Just looked it up, and you're right. I'm probably confusing Bifrost with Polar Kamrous from MMZ2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mordaedil posted:

If this is true, then he's really, really bad at it. I've seen some of his other stuff. It's not quite Pewdiepie-range, but it's similar in tone and affect.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Pollyanna posted:

Aaanyway, are there any Advances in SF3 that are actually worth using?

Nope. Galaxy Advances were really half-assed, don't bother with them.

FYI though, in this game it's "put together levels 1, 2, and 3 of a card".

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Capcom decided to rub salt in the wound about Legends 3 by teasing the new character for one of their iOS games: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747097

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

That is so dickish I can't even get mad, it's actually funny.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Penakoto posted:

The silhouette will be revealed to be Aero in a Volnutt color palette with a 3 on her chest.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Zeether posted:

Capcom decided to rub salt in the wound about Legends 3 by teasing the new character for one of their iOS games: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747097

I feel this is a missed opportunity to bring in some of the actually good runner-up designs from that competition into the fold. But then that might actually encourage people to play the game.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
I can't be mad at this because I didn't really care about pink-hair or red hair and whatever else the fan-voted characters were.

I just wanted more Teisel.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Zeether posted:

The timing of this after the Call Community vote makes it come off as a hilariously petty "gently caress you" to Inafune. ( More likely case they just needed another character and added one they had the assets of already)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Somewhat late to the Zero series chat, but I don't remember being THAT hard, on Zero 1 I managed to found all the cyber elves and raise them without using them with no problem. Passing the game on hard was a bitch to do but it was really satisfying to finish it (and it made me really loving good to move around and attack with the shield).

Zero 2 is my favorite gameplay since it was still demanding, the form system was really neat and unlocking tie the special attacks to your rank made me felt like a badass everytime I got them.

Zero 3 was considerably easy but still fun plus it got the best fight on the series (against Omega) never managed to unlock Phantom's minigame though.

Zero 4 while demanding, was the easiest but it was kind of lame to have an über elf at anytime.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

speaking of they just finished several streams of megaman games on games done quick charity marathon, and should be near the end of Zero 3 right now. https://www.gamesdonequick.com

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Megaman X race was especially excellent.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Penakoto posted:

Other companies have done stuff like this before with characters from games that were either canceled or haven't seen a new release in years popping up in different series. Hell Capcom themselves have done it plenty of times in the past. But whenever they do it with the Legends characters now everyone just gets so pissed, why shouldn't they continue to do it?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

There's doing it well and timing it right (Tron in MvC3, stuff in Dead Rising), then there's stuff like this and the box art Megaman that happened way back that just come across as middle fingers, not fan service or anything good.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Eh, this isn't the first time Capcom's done something like this, as it was pointed out somewhere that they've used Ingrid from the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars game in several other fighting games. It's nice to see her used for something, I guess.

Maybe they'll turn Aero into a running gag, making cameo appearances in nearly every game, like Nippon Ichi does with Asagi from the cancelled Makai Wars. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Panic Restaurant posted:

Eh, this isn't the first time Capcom's done something like this, as it was pointed out somewhere that they've used Ingrid from the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars game in several other fighting games. It's nice to see her used for something, I guess.

Maybe they'll turn Aero into a running gag, making cameo appearances in nearly every game, like Nippon Ichi does with Asagi from the cancelled Makai Wars. :v:

They'll be partners in the inevitable Nippon IchixCapcom.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Penakoto posted:

There's doing it well and timing it right (Tron in MvC3, stuff in Dead Rising), then there's stuff like this and the box art Megaman that happened way back that just come across as middle fingers, not fan service or anything good.

Tron has precedence by being in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Star Man posted:

Tron has precedence by being in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

I know, there's that too. Just saying, there are reasons some cameos and fan service people are fine with, and some aren't. Aero was a huge part of MML3 and the cancellation of MML3 wasn't handled well by Capcom or fans, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that introducing her to another iOS game nobody wanted is not being received well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

Inafune himself approved Box Art Mega Man so I don't even know what you mean by that. He was also going to be in Mega Man Universe before the game was cancelled.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Inafune himself approved Box Art Mega Man so I don't even know what you mean by that. He was also going to be in Mega Man Universe before the game was cancelled.

As I said, it came across as a middle finger so soon after all the cancellations.

Not saying that was the intention, but a lot of people didn't take too kindly turning Megaman into a fat oaf because "haha boxart" like, a month after cancelling every single game that wasn't Xover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

As I said, it came across as a middle finger so soon after all the cancellations.

Not saying that was the intention, but a lot of people didn't take too kindly turning Megaman into a fat oaf because "haha boxart" like, a month after cancelling every single game that wasn't Xover.

If by "a month later" you mean literally almost a year later then yes. MML3 was announced cancelled in July of 2011. BBAMM was announced for NxC in January 2012.

It was also, again, literally Inafune's request. Anyone who took it as a "middle finger" was looking for a reason to get angry.

And it's probably the same thing here to be honest. It probably wasn't a good idea for Capcom to even stir the hornets nest again but I really doubt a bunch of Japanese executives sat down and went "how can we make a small subset of our American fanbase really angry?!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 8, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It probably wasn't a good idea for Capcom to even stir the hornets nest again but I really doubt a bunch of Japanese executives sat down and went "how can we make a small subset of our American fanbase really angry?!"
Definitely not, but you'd think they would have gotten a bit more savvy about this sort of thing. Doesn't take a genius to predict the kind of fan reaction from this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

Definitely not, but you'd think they would have gotten a bit more savvy about this sort of thing. Doesn't take a genius to predict the kind of fan reaction from this.

Well, there's not a lot of winning options here.

They could never mention the character again, which pisses fans off because they're ignoring it and pretending it never happened.
They can try to include the character in a smaller-budget game but that pisses the fans off because they're waving it in their faces that Mega Man Legends 3 didn't exist.
They can make Mega Man Legends 3 and waste a bunch of money on a game that will sell poorly.

Basically there are no wins here. It seems a lot more likely this was designed to appease the fans as opposed to anything because there's no other real reason to use that character. I don't think it was a good option but I'm not a Japanese developer and can't tell them that the fanbase is likely to respond poorly to anything they do that isn't a new Mega Man game.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, there's not a lot of winning options here.

They could never mention the character again, which pisses fans off because they're ignoring it and pretending it never happened.
They can try to include the character in a smaller-budget game but that pisses the fans off because they're waving it in their faces that Mega Man Legends 3 didn't exist.
They can make Mega Man Legends 3 and waste a bunch of money on a game that will sell poorly.

Basically there are no wins here. It seems a lot more likely this was designed to appease the fans as opposed to anything because there's no other real reason to use that character.

You're going to have angry nerds no matter what you do, but the goal should be as few angered fans as possible, and I think option 1 is the way to go with that. When you mention the incident, you have people that go "Oh yeah! Those guys cancelled Legends 3!". Not bringing it up at all, whether through a character or what-have-you, keeps people from remembering it.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

They could make MML3 and actually market it, you know, so it sells well.

Plus lots of people bought 3DS's because of the game and it wouldn't need a huge budget to make these days, so I doubt it would've done super terribly regardless, past history aside.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

They could make MML3 and actually market it.

Every single Mega Man Legends/Mega Man Dash game sold poorly. Why do you think this one would be different? They sold badly for Mega Man games even when Mega Man games sold reasonably well.

Penakoto posted:

Plus lots of people bought 3DS's because of the game and it wouldn't need a huge budget to make these days, so I doubt it would've done super terribly regardless, past history aside.

The 3DS was selling really poorly around that time frame actually. It didn't do well until the price drop + ambassador program and all that. There is absolutely no way "lots of people" bought 3DSs because a demo for an obscure Mega Man spinoff. The 3DS sales numbers only picked up after August 2011, well after MML3 was cancelled.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MML3 was a pet project. When a guy helming a pet project leaves, you tend to only continue development if it's gonna be profitable. And it looked rather doubtful that it would be, really (because hey, if it's easy money it wouldn't be just a pet project).

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Every single Mega Man Legends/Mega Man Dash game sold poorly. Why do you think this one would be different?

They weren't marketed that well, as far as I remember, and the PSP ports did well in Japan, and it wouldn't be that expensive to make a new one as it would've back when the series was started?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

They weren't marketed that well, as far as I remember, and the PSP ports did well in Japan, and it wouldn't be that expensive to make a new one as it would've back when the series was started?

No they didn't! The PSP port of Rockman Dash sold 15,000 copies in a year. It sold 23,337 units total as of 2010. It was an utter failure of sales.

The Mega Man Legends games just don't have much of a market. You have to want an action-based and insanely anime spinoff of a franchise that doesn't sell that well on its own. I know people desperately wanted to believe that if they were given a chance they'd do well but there is absolutely no reason to believe they would.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 8, 2014

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

They could probably make any Mega Man game period (that's not a cheap iOS game) and quench a lot of anger.

The Legends fans probably won't get over it, but the reason a large part of the fandom (even those who don't care for the Legends franchise) is probably up in arms is because they are worried about the state of the franchise, and are afraid there might never be another substantial game in it again, especially since the last actual game was 10, almost 4 years ago, for a franchise that would usually have something coming out almost every year. Any news that isn't a game announcement is news that doesn't dissuade fears that there never will be one again (or at least not for a long time).

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 8, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Every single Mega Man Legends/Mega Man Dash game sold poorly. Why do you think this one would be different? They sold badly for Mega Man games even when Mega Man games sold reasonably well.

The 3DS was selling really poorly around that time frame actually. It didn't do well until the price drop + ambassador program and all that. There is absolutely no way "lots of people" bought 3DSs because a demo for an obscure Mega Man spinoff. The 3DS sales numbers only picked up after August 2011, well after MML3 was cancelled.

I don't know if this would affect Legends 3 in particular, but there used to be too loving many Mega Man games coming out, with the later X games being dreadful. Now that they've almost stopped releasing games entirely, the fans are desperate for any Mega Man game, or anything that happens to be incredibly similar.

I've never played the Legends games, but everyone clamouring for a third one actually made me interested in trying it, but it never came out. I'm also going to get Mighty No. 9, since it's just not the type of game you see often outside of indie games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CandyCrazy posted:

They could probably make any Mega Man game period (that's not a cheap iOS game) and quench a lot of anger.

The Legends fans probably won't get over it, but the reason a large part of the fandom (even those who don't care for the Legends franchise) is probably up in arms is because they are worried about the state of the franchise, and are afraid there might never be another substantial game in it again, especially since the last actual game was 10, almost 4 years ago, for a franchise that would usually have something coming out almost every year. Any news that isn't a game announcement is news that doesn't dissuade fears that there never will be one again (or at least not for a long time).

And I can understand that, but the problem is that the fanbase is looking at it as "Capcom is throwing away money out of spite" instead of "These games don't sell." Quite possibly the only reason the Mega Man franchise survived as long as it did was because the Mega Man.exe games sold so remarkably well and even then most Mega Man fans won't call them 'real' Mega Man games. (And I bet if Capcom put out a new Mega Man.exe instead of any other Mega Man they would flip the hell out despite Mega Man.exe being the most objectively likely to sell.)

I'm not happy about the Igavania Castlevanias being dead but they weren't selling great either. Order of Ecclesia is my favorite of the DS games period but it solid under 30,000 copies in Japan and probably even less in the US... and that's still better than the numbers I can find for later Mega Man games! I don't think this is part of a plot on Konami's behalf to kill the franchise. I think it's just that the franchise is dead and no matter how I like it, it isn't coming back in the same form.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 8, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Order of Ecclesia is my favorite of the DS games period but it solid under 30,000 copies in Japan and probably even less in the US... and that's still better than the numbers I can find for later Mega Man games!

Extreme nitpicking but didn't Castlevania always do better in the West?

Also I know it's stupid and not actually going to happen, but I'm really hoping Mega Man being in Smash Bros is some kind of Kid Icarus thing, where they show off the character design well before a new game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Extreme nitpicking but didn't Castlevania always do better in the West?

It did but the DS numbers were apparently going downhill pretty fast. It's hard to find solid numbers but they weren't good. (In fact the director at Mercury Steam directly compared it to Mega Man and said they had to shake up the franchise or they were going to end up in the same place.)

Which I think is the other issue. If Mega Man came back, it would probably not be "another Legends" or "Another Classic" or "Another X" but would probably need to be a serious franchise shakeup and well... if what they did with DmC is what they did to a game whose last franchise entry sold 4 million copies, what the hell would they do to Mega Man?

Phantasium posted:

Also I know it's stupid and not actually going to happen, but I'm really hoping Mega Man being in Smash Bros is some kind of Kid Icarus thing, where they show off the character design well before a new game.

I wouldn't mind that. I really like the 'television eyes' they gave him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 8, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Phantasium posted:

I WISH they made a Mega Man that was half as fun as Uprising. Not even Legends can come up to the amazing character writing in Uprising. Especially Pittoo and Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I WISH they made a Mega Man that was half as fun as Uprising. Not even Legends can come up to the amazing character writing in Uprising. Especially Pittoo and Hades.

Uprising is great but trying to beat Chapter 18 on intensity 9 killed all my desire to keep playing.