Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Coldbird posted:

Listen, they're Grineer, not rocket scientists. What's a few catastrophic explosions of gore between friends? Just clone up a new torso and limbs.

I love the Grineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ullerrm posted:

+ status chance is only useful on Lanka, Grakata, and maybe Hek.

It works well with the Grakata, I can tell you that. I've been levelling one up just for the new mod. With that and Hammer Shot, the status chance is %40. I've also got Split Chamber in there, so that %40 usually happens twice for each shot, and there are maybe 12 shots per second. It is ridiculous. With toxic damage and blast, tons of enemies wind up knocked over and poisoned.

Sure, putting that much effort into any other gun would just kill my enemies, but it's more fun this way.

I'm also enjoying my new Viper Wraiths. The leading solution in ammo disposal.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm also enjoying my new Viper Wraiths. The leading solution in ammo disposal.
What am I going to do with all these bullets? Do you want them? Go ahead, take them all, with my blessing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Energy Syphon Aura claims a +0.1 Warframe Energy Regeneration.

Is it worth it to use that/pump it up?

[edit] and what exactly is it doing?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Feenix posted:

It's the best aura, and auras apply to your whole team. Also, auras give rather than consume points. Max whatever aura you're using no matter what.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Feenix posted:

[edit] and what exactly is it doing?

At max rank it gives 0.6 energy per second out of thin air for you. If everyone in a group runs this at max level then the stacked end result is everyone gaining 2.4 energy per second which is fantastic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm on the fence about trying this game and I'm kind of getting mixed messages on it. While I appreciate that the game is initially free, I consider my time to be at a premium so I gotta ask: is this a buggy piece of poo poo on the PC or does it usually run pretty decently? I want to lose myself in a wonderland of farming materials by stylishly shooting mans in mission after mission, but I don't want to fight very much with the game to do that.

It varies for some people but it usually runs well. The game is buggy as hell and pretty much held together by bits of string and tooth floss but it somehow doesn't get in the way of the gameplay in my opinion. It is definitely stylish and you basically progress by getting more freedom to be stylish without consequence.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What do you call the lurking terror that is wanting to forma up a warframe or Grakata or something, but a voice in your head keeps telling you the wraithprime vandal version is just beyond the horizon.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm on the fence about trying this game and I'm kind of getting mixed messages on it. While I appreciate that the game is initially free, I consider my time to be at a premium so I gotta ask: is this a buggy piece of poo poo on the PC or does it usually run pretty decently? I want to lose myself in a wonderland of farming materials by stylishly shooting mans in mission after mission, but I don't want to fight very much with the game to do that.
It depends what you mean by buggy piece of poo poo.

Is it stable with a consistently high framerate and you can play it fine? Yes. I've never had sub 120fps playing warframe, and I've never had it crash.

Does everything work perfectly all of the time? No. In my 200-300 hours of playing there's been around 10 instances of having to restart a mission tops. Probably less. I believe most of those are fixed now, because most involved either super laggy hosts or people disconnecting and causing a host migration during objectives or while holding objectives. These were generally missions that lasted 3-5 minutes in length (or 10 if you are new I guess). So pretty much extreme corner cases. Now and then DE screws something up with a patch and they fix it a day or two later. The most prominent example in my mind is derelict missions giving you a black screen after completion that required a client restart. You still received rewards and it was a mild inconvenience, but it really illustrates about what you can expect from their limited QA process. On the upside, they patch often and quickly and have no issue admitting their mistakes. They are probably one of the most transparent developers around.

Sometimes you will fall through the world while wall running if you hit edges. If you are with other people you still get mission rewards but you just need to tab out or something when it happens. I've never had this happen in areas where you want to or need to wall run. To avoid it just don't wall run in pointless corners where wall running is completely meaningless. They fixed the most common way to fall through the world a few patches ago. Ddoors used to shoot you out of the world if there was latency between you and the host or if you went through them too quickly at the wrong time. As far as I can tell this doesn't happen anymore, and it was knocked me out of the world 9/10 times.

I hope that answers your question. The short answer is it's not a buggy piece of poo poo. It's fun as heck. The long answer is when a game updates multiple times per week there's not a grueling QA process so sometimes things slip through, but it's a solid game and not a buggy piece of poo poo in general. There's nothing that stops progression, breaks your character, or anything like that. There's no frustrating bugs in warframe. Sometimes after a patch their QA process misses something relatively benign, and it gets fixed a few days later. The terrible in the title refers to other aspects of the game. Not its functionality.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 7, 2014

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Devour or Fire posted:

What do you call the lurking terror that is wanting to forma up a warframe or Grakata or something, but a voice in your head keeps telling you the wraithprime vandal version is just beyond the horizon.

Common sense?
Which has no place in this game. Like holding off potatoing kunai or hikou because you're waiting for the despair thus you're keeping yourself from enjoying raining knives at spacemans.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

wid posted:

Common sense?
Which has no place in this game. Like holding off potatoing kunai or hikou because you're waiting for the despair thus you're keeping yourself from enjoying raining knives at spacemans.

Stalker will drop the blueprint one day you son of a bitch!!!

*has 8 Dread blueprints*

Orv
May 4, 2011
So here's a question. I played a bit of Warframe around Update, I think three or four, prior to mod cards, pets or anything of that sort. poo poo is way different now, so aside from reading to OP and trying to figure out what everything does, where do I go? Should I just do what was done back then and take any Warframes I have through Mercury -> Earth or what have you, or is there something more technical I should be doing?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ullerrm posted:

+ status chance is only useful on Lanka, Grakata, and maybe Hek.
Also the bows, Brakk, Wraith Vipers, Synapse, Embolist, Latron/Latron Prime, several of the faster melee weapons sort of, Braton Prime, Hind, Burston/Burston Prime, and really anything else with a 10% (or better) base status chance (and even some rapid-fire 5% status chance guns).

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Elysiume posted:

It's the best aura, and auras apply to your whole team. Also, auras give rather than consume points. Max whatever aura you're using no matter what.

It's definitely one of the better ones, but I think I'd argue Rifle Amp is the real best when polarities on the better frames are taken into account. The insane efficiency you can mod into ever since they added Corrupted mods also diminished the value of Energy Siphon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I maxed my Ash out and am now leveling up a Volt, and holy poo poo I have been spoiled by Loki and Ash... I feel slow and vulnerable all the time, and I'm not high enough to slot all my powers even with a potato and a wrong polarity Energy Siphon so I have no means of "oh poo poo" escape. How the hell do you play this thing effectively?

On the plus side, Corpus used to be a pain but are now a complete joke, so that's good.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Fuzz posted:

How the hell do you play this thing effectively?

Press 2, zorencopter to the exit.

gotta go fast

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fuzz posted:

So I maxed my Ash out and am now leveling up a Volt, and holy poo poo I have been spoiled by Loki and Ash... I feel slow and vulnerable all the time, and I'm not high enough to slot all my powers even with a potato and a wrong polarity Energy Siphon so I have no means of "oh poo poo" escape. How the hell do you play this thing effectively?

On the plus side, Corpus used to be a pain but are now a complete joke, so that's good.

Max Shock everything always. Chaining stun/damage.

I think I used overload once to test it out. Speed is fun but I hate the visual effect. I can't even remember the other power.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Kalman posted:

I think I used overload once to test it out. Speed is fun but I hate the visual effect. I can't even remember the other power.

It's a small shield you can deploy. It feels like Frost's Snowglobe makes it irrelevant.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Enter Char posted:

It's a small shield you can deploy. It feels like Frost's Snowglobe makes it irrelevant.

Oh right that thing. Yeah, I think I used it once or twice to try it out and decided that having to shoot through it to make it useful cut into my need to run around spastically while shooting things and stopped using it.

Basically, Volt = shock everything, shoot everything, go fast. Volt is fun.

(Oberon, which I am leveling for mastery now, is misery. How do I make Oberon fun?)

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Kalman posted:

That would be Electric Shield, it's amazing for defense missions/defending doors or hallways. It stops all incoming fire and shots you fire through it will get bonus electric damage and become hitscan (it rocks for the Dera/Supra).

I'd say Volt is one of the few Warframes that has a use for every ability. Hell, he even has two useful alternate helmets, one that improves overall power damage and one for extended duration of Shield/Speed.

Shock is amazing for crowd control/damage of small groups, use Overload when you're completely swarmed, it has an insane radius. Shield I already covered and like I said before, Speed combined with Dual Zorens can move you across the map in seconds (it's still pretty handy for mobility by itself). There's no reason why you should feel slow when using Volt.

Kalman posted:

How do I make Oberon fun?

Slot Equilibrium+Flow+Streamline. Slam dudes into the ground errday, collect red orbs, get free energy. Repeat.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Kalman posted:

Oh right that thing. Yeah, I think I used it once or twice to try it out and decided that having to shoot through it to make it useful cut into my need to run around spastically while shooting things and stopped using it.

Basically, Volt = shock everything, shoot everything, go fast. Volt is fun.

(Oberon, which I am leveling for mastery now, is misery. How do I make Oberon fun?)

Volt's shield is actually pretty immensely powerful. After a certain point in Corpus/Grineer/Corrupted survivals/defenses enemies start to hit very, very, very hard. Being able to block 100% of all ranged attacks while simultaneously shooting out and doing a bonus 50% damage is nothing to dismiss. It is indeed useless in missons with easy enemies where you move at high speed - it's main function is to improve survivability in a desperate situation while simultaneously giving you some extra oomph to kill the nastier enemies. Frost's bubble is better in that it doesn't leave you open to being flanked, but you don't always have a frost available and the damage bonus is a pretty sweet consolation prize, plus speed boost is also excellent for survival - if you need to relocate your group can get boosted and retreat extremely quickly, or you can use it to quickly grab energy orbs/loot/life support/etc.

Volt's shield also has some hidden functionality on top of the damage bonus - it turns any projectile weapon into an infinite range hitscan. Including the Ignis's flamethrower and the more powerful but much shorter range chemical spray from the Embolist. These allow you do some crazy sniper poo poo with a flamethrower-style weapon doing immense damage, or just make weapons with relatively slow projectiles much more accurate. However, it doesn't work on explosives, sadly.

Another not so obvious feature of Volt is, oddly enough, Volt's speed boost /dramatically/ increases bow charge time - it's essentially instant, allowing for some bow gimmicks if you're in the mood.

Oberon's shtick is being able to stack his Hallowed Ground on top of each other for increasingly massive damage, completely blocking off areas in defenses and survivals. His heal is a heal over time, and if already applied on you or an ally when they die, they will immediately pop up without needing to be helped up - the trinity can't revive dead people so he has at least a small niche there. His ult is pretty much Mag's Crush - CC everything in the room and then do a ton of damage, dropping an unusually large amount of health orbs if it gets a kill. Smite pretty much always sucks but it can kill single targets or tightly bunched groups OK on easier missions.

Overall, though, Oberon is pretty unimpressive right now. The whole damage field stacking thing is neat and all but I'd rather have a Vauban's traps any day. Who knows though they may buff Oberon, I've yet to see anyone particularly thrilled with him.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 7, 2014

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Volt has lots of shields and not a lot of health. With the addition of status effects like slash, this can get to be a problem (especially with the crazy damage that enemies like Eviscerators do on proc) but it's still generally better to forget slotting Vitality. With a max Redirection alone you can have over a thousand shields.

If you feel slow, try equipping Rush.

Stun/kill things with Shock, use weapons that benefit from Electric Shield (shotguns lose their damage falloff, projectiles become hitscan, and beams get infinite range), have fun with Speed. Overload is very situational as it does its best damage in rooms with lots of electronics; on low level enemies you can get away with using it multiple times in the same room, but against higher level enemies, once the lights are blown, you're better off using that energy for multiple Shocks instead.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I've got Excalibur and Volt maxed, with Rhino currently building. What frame should I go for next? Vauban looked cool, except it looks like getting his BPs is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Wolpertinger posted:

Another not so obvious feature of Volt is, oddly enough, Volt's speed boost /dramatically/ increases bow charge time - it's essentially instant, allowing for some bow gimmicks if you're in the mood.
Ahaha I gotta try this now.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Wolpertinger posted:

This is somehow the first I'm learning of this. Fantastic. This is going to make leveling Dread and Paris Prime infinitely more bearable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Not to mention you will receive a savage beating if you position yourself wrong when you hit overload, since it has a relatively long animation you get locked into.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Insert name here posted:

So I've got Excalibur and Volt maxed, with Rhino currently building. What frame should I go for next?

Nova is always the correct answer to this.

Set your effect color to pink and max out Molecular Prime and Stretch. Your group will absolutely hate you; but you will turn every defense/survival mission into a joke.

Fake edit: And when you are standing at extraction with a Banshee who is spamming her shout you can drop your Worm Hole on her and send her away.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
My favorite frames are the ones that let me harmlessly mess with teammates. Vauban's great for that; you can turn an ordinarily lackluster buddy into a glowing, humming thunder god and cover the extraction room with bounce pads.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Not to mention you will receive a savage beating if you position yourself wrong when you hit overload, since it has a relatively long animation you get locked into.

Not anymore.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Is this current favorite Sentinel still the Carrier?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Munkaboo posted:

Is this current favorite Sentinel still the Carrier?
They need to make Vacuum the standard behavior for loot pickup so other sentinels are a better option.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Arclyte posted:

Nova is always the correct answer to this.

Set your effect color to pink and max out Molecular Prime and Stretch. Your group will absolutely hate you; but you will turn every defense/survival mission into a joke.

Fake edit: And when you are standing at extraction with a Banshee who is spamming her shout you can drop your Worm Hole on her and send her away.

+1 on the Worm Hole love. Also, Nova + Vauban on T3 mobdef is a dynamic light show. I brought a Frost and Synapse and two unranked weapons to soak up XP and just watched. If you're looking to level off of another player's work, invite a Nova to survival/defense. As long as you're not going in with a "level this thing only" mentality (which, in terms of efficiency, you shouldn't be), M Prime is a fun thing to be around.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Elysiume posted:

They need to make Vacuum the standard behavior for loot pickup so other sentinels are a better option.

For someone just starting out (excalibur) what's my best option?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Munkaboo posted:

Carrier. It makes loot less of a hassle, and the shotgun does pretty good damage on it's own.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Carrier. Max Vacuum ASAP as it will help you collect all of the things you'll need to get everything else in the game. If you have starting plat use it to buy the Carrier as it will come with Orokin Reactors/Catalysts in both the unit itself and the Sweeper (its shotgun) which normally cost 20 or so plat for each and allow you to slot more mods. Even if you build another sentinel later the Sweeper is something you'll likely want to throw on it regardless.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Munkaboo posted:

As other people said, Carrier. Entirely because of Vacuum. Being able to just suck up loot in a huge AoE makes things go much more smoothly. I'm leveling the other sentinels now and I miss it so much.

:c00l:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

quote:

Electric shield
Volt's shield is also good for making mancannons. The Volt deploys a line of evenly space shields, and a Vauban puts a bounce pad on each one. It's a bit fiddly to get the spacing right and find an area big enough to use it without being interrupted.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is it just me or are throwing weapons really drat hard to aim? I'm finding I'm missing basically all the time with the Kestrel...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The carrier is a must for tower missions, since some mods hide behind walls that you can blow up with the ignis, and the carrier will suck 'em up for you.

The nova almost feels unfair with Molecular Prime. I just love watching stuff blow up. The Mag Prime is fantastic for doing Corpus survival / defense missions with shield polarize and crush.

So far the only frames I despise are the Excalibur and Valkyr. The Excalibur is a poor man's Rhino that lacks iron skin, and the Valkyr's abilities are worthless and bugged, not to mention her shields and health are low. Hysteria only hits 1 enemy at a time, and doesn't give experience. The only fun thing is rip line can be used to pull allies which is good for trolling. I almost want to sell her for the warframe slot when she hits 30, but I worry DE will release an update that will make her good.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2014

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I sunk my teeth into this game last night and got hooked. I finished Mercury and the southern path of Venus after stopping for the night. I picked Excalibur on advice from the OP, but the frame is boring me to tears. I probably should have gone with Loki or Mag, because even if Excalibur is hard to obtain, I wouldn't have wanted him anyways.

I picked up one of those nvidia codes for $25 worth of plat (can you only use one like with Marvel Heroes now?). Assuming I don't mind blowing some of it on something I could grind out later, what's the best bang for my buck to have more fun? I was looking at Saryn or Frost for a new warframe (Saryn is cheaper, so probably that one). Would a new melee or ranged weapon serve me better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Riftling posted:

I sunk my teeth into this game last night and got hooked. I finished Mercury and the southern path of Venus after stopping for the night. I picked Excalibur on advice from the OP, but the frame is boring me to tears. I probably should have gone with Loki or Mag, because even if Excalibur is hard to obtain, I wouldn't have wanted him anyways.

I picked up one of those nvidia codes for $25 worth of plat (can you only use one like with Marvel Heroes now?). Assuming I don't mind blowing some of it on something I could grind out later, what's the best bang for my buck to have more fun? I was looking at Saryn or Frost for a new warframe (Saryn is cheaper, so probably that one). Would a new melee or ranged weapon serve me better?

If you must spend plat on a frame right now I suggest going with Volt. It's only 75 plat and includes a potato and additional frame slot (which is ~40 you'd likely be spending down the line regardless). Then farm Jackal on Fossa in Venus for Rhino parts and buy the blueprint once you have helm, chassis and systems. Once you build the parts you can let the recipe cook for 3 days while leveling your Volt. By that point you'll be able to link up with others and get taxied to whatever mission drops parts for the next frame you want. Once you get taxied once it will be open and you'll likely find pubbie groups farming them. Check the wiki for drop locations and spend that plat on potatoes and slots (and colors and bandanas if you want).