Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
no way if your going double neck both necks have to be exactly the same

way more work and $$$ than id expect you to put into this thing tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Can we get a closeup up that ugly piece of poo poo with the dick hole that is sitting next to that other ugly piece of poo poo with the dick hole?

CONTENT:

$780 for a Fender Tele body with a sick paisley paint job? So worth it!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

what about a double neck, if it's easier make one of them fretless (bass or guitar w'ever) for max horribleness

Can't really afford to use a second neck as that'd be waaaaay too much time and money to sink into something that will probably never sell :(.

man thats gross posted:

no way if your going double neck both necks have to be exactly the same

way more work and $$$ than id expect you to put into this thing tho

Now I think about it, I have another pre-made neck that came off a really, really, REALLY cheap 60's arch-top that I brought for £5 from a charity shop (I'm pretty sure it's made from plywood), however someone wanted me to build them a junker guitar from an old cooking pot so it might get used for that instead. We shall see.

Edit: The guitar was that cheap because it stank of piss, the charity shop gave me a bin-bag to take it home in.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

White Dog Eggs posted:

Edit: The guitar was that cheap because it stank of piss, the charity shop gave me a bin-bag to take it home in.

Sounds like a perfect fit for this guitar. Please also use paint markers to recreate that paisley pattern from the guitar above.

Edit: if done properly (poorly) it will just end up looking like lovely drawings of amoebas.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

I Might Be Adam posted:

Can we get a closeup up that ugly piece of poo poo with the dick hole that is sitting next to that other ugly piece of poo poo with the dick hole?

CONTENT:

$780 for a Fender Tele body with a sick paisley paint job? So worth it!

If I ever have a full-on breakdown I would like to get arrested for playing this whilst waving my dick at traffic. Also that's not a paint job, it's a vinyl sticker, that's why it's got that finish around the edge. Classy!

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
call it tone-piss and sell it for millions

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm not the biggest Vai fan in the world, his music leaves me cold these days (although I'll always fondly remember when Passion & Warfare came out) but I gotta admit, I think that pics pretty cool. He's also a nice guy who's willing to sit and talk music for hours with anybody.

And another:

hot r not?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Does the seam showing on those quilted maple tops bother anyone else but me?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

iostream.h posted:

hot r not?

I actually don't mind that. I've also never really seen a transparent black that I liked but that's just subtle enough that it works. The cream P90's look good against that finish too.

I Might Be Adam posted:

I've never really thought about it. I always assumed it's done for the symmetry. Maybe it's done because it means you can start with a more narrow, and therefore cheaper, piece of wood? Either way, I've seen guitars that have fancy tops without the seam and to be honest I like the seam more.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 7, 2014

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

I Might Be Adam posted:

Definitely me as well. I also feel like they could try to line up the sides better, but I'm sure it's not done for a reason, perhaps for all the extra TONE and whatnot.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I Might Be Adam posted:

Quilted maple is totally un-symmetrical and pretty spotty, you aren't going to get a 'nice looking' top without bookmatching and due to the grain it's never going to match properly. It actually looks nicer if you use a small fillet of dark wood between them imo.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

White Dog Eggs posted:

Quilted maple is totally un-symmetrical and pretty spotty, you aren't going to get a 'nice looking' top without bookmatching and due to the grain it's never going to match properly. It actually looks nicer if you use a small fillet of dark wood between them imo.

is there a reason they glue together two blocks, or is it possible to just use one big block of quilted maple

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

Hopefully this doesn't come across as an exercise in pedantry or anything, but that's actually 'flame maple'. A 'quilted maple' top looks more like (and it's changed it's look a bit since then, I think I posted it earlier):

Both of them together for comparison:

I actually did a quick Google to make sure I wasn't making poo poo up and ended up in a black hole of MyLesPaul.com with people pulling out their micrometers to debate which of their finishes were actually flame v/s quilt. I don't really give a poo poo, I've just always thought 'semi-straight = flame and roundish swirly = quilt'.

Anyway, I don't know if you actually CARE to know the difference, since it really doesn't matter either way, but thought someone might find it interesting. The guy who makes guitars in this thread probably knows WAY more about it than I ever will and can correct me if I'm wrong.

GreatGreen posted:

I actually don't mind that. I've also never really seen a transparent black that I liked but that's just subtle enough that it works. The cream 90's look good against that finish too.
The pics kind of suck for color and contrast, but those are both actually 'Trans Purple', they fade to ALMOST black in the darkest spots but they're pretty vivid in good lighting. If you like the cream P90s you might dig the quilt top now, I swapped out for some Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups in zebra and threw black/chrome top hat knobs on. Removed the poker chip from both guitars too.

LudwigVon Lugnuts posted:

Definitely me as well. I also feel like they could try to line up the sides better, but I'm sure it's not done for a reason, perhaps for all the extra TONE and whatnot.
Yeah, no poo poo, especially on the flame top, it's a Custom Shop guitar and the build quality is otherwise the best I think I've ever seen, except for that mismatched top.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhopunzel posted:

is there a reason they glue together two blocks, or is it possible to just use one big block of quilted maple

it's just a cap/veneer

the rest of the body is plain mahogany with huge chunks drilled out of it (weight relief)

e: raw lumber is generally sawn into boards just under 1' wide, which is why most mass-produced guitars generally use at minimum two pieces glued together. unless it's a custom shop deal with a 1-piece body, which is more expensive

here's the actual gibson factory. they plane and rip the boards and match up pieces for bodies around a minute into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 7, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

it's just a cap/veneer
Yup, here's what's basically a Les Paul without the figured maple cap (a Les Paul Studio Mahogany):

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
oh ya i knew that, i just didn't assume they were THAT thin, i thought they were like at least a quarter/half inch or something

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the cap is stupid

carved tops are stupid

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhopunzel posted:

oh ya i knew that, i just didn't assume they were THAT thin, i thought they were like at least a quarter/half inch or something

yeah they're usually thicker i think like 5/8"

i know agile uses a 3/4" cap on their les paul copies because i saw a slight overhang in the pickup cavity when changing pickups

Declan MacManus posted:

the cap is stupid

carved tops are stupid

what i don't get are carved tops on strat type bodies

i have one and i think it's dumb

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 7, 2014

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

yeah they're usually thicker i think like 5/8"

i know agile uses a 3/4" cap on their les paul copies because i saw a slight overhang in the pickup cavity when changing pickups

i have one and i think it's dumb

"it's pretty" is basically what it boils down to

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Y'know, I have to admit, this thread's been very interesting. I've really never given any thought to what anyone else thought about how any of my guitars looked. I just always kind of assumed they were as pretty to anyone else as they are to me even if someone said 'well I don't really like PRS/Gibson/etc'.

Oh and yes, those are all from the same pic a while back, I think it was for an inset promo photo or something. I've just been cropping out the individual guitars.

Got rid of the acoustic a while back and changed some stuff on the others but anyway.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rhopunzel posted:

A big enough block of maple to top one guitar with a decent grain consistency of quilt would cost a lot of money, Maybe 5 times as much as a two piece? Don't really keep on on prices for fancy imported woods any more (I mostly use stuff from the UK, Beech, alder, ash, sycamore (different than US sycamore), Oak (yes, oak), elm, birch etc.

For comparisons sake, this piece of spalted elm cost me half has much as a two-peice 10mm thick top would cost (sorry for the lovely picture, had to grab it off facebook)

Declan MacManus posted:

carved tops are stupid

The only reason a Les Paul has a carved top is because is because it's based on a jazz-arch top. Gibson didn't want to give it a flat top as they were afraid it'd look cheap.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Guys, I bring gifts for the thread. Let me tell you about the Ibanez JEM I used to own.

Yes, I used to own this guitar. My first guitar was a red Squier strat in about 1999, back when Squier used to be way more terrible than it is now. That guitar was awful. But I had seen for years the white JEM in the "cool" guitar store in town and saved up the money to buy it, in the very early 2000s. To be fair, I was like, 15 years old and thought I was going to be the most awesome shredder in the world.

It's not quite as ugly as the green one, but is still pretty ugly. For some reason, teenage me was really into weird fretboard inlays and thought they were the coolest thing in the world. Also, the SICK GEAR aspect of having a Floyd Rose and 24 frets was really exciting. But honestly, this was like the worst guitar purchase ever because I was never really into metal or prog rock, so what the hell did I need a Steve Vai signature guitar for? (Truth is, it actually sounded pretty good, especially on the in-between positions with the hybrid humbucker/single coil)

So fast forward to three or four years ago. I'm getting into playing more again, and I have this weird-rear end guitar, and I'm thinking "I really wish I had a better and less ridiculous instrument" although having a handle literally carved into the guitar is hilarious and I used it all the time. So I went to Craigslist and eventually found a guy willing to trade me a much nicer (and more expensive" guitar for my JEM. However, the problem was this guitar was even UGLIER, if that be possible:

It's a 2006 USA made Deluxe Stratocaster, a pretty nice guitar. But that sparkly black finish with the matte gold pickguard, chrome and black hardware...it was a truly ugly guitar. And it played fine, but honestly I don't really love Strats. So I took to craigslist again and traded the Strat for:

A great looking guitar! Finally! This mid 90s SG ruled. I don't have it any more; I sold it to my brother. But this just goes to show, there is hope for the ugly-guitar-owners of the world. I transformed my low-end 90s Steve Vai crazy superstrat for an awesome SG. Anything is possible. Life is beautiful. Thank you for reading.

I wish I had more ugly guitars to share, but the handful of guitars I own now are all awesome.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

If I ever have a full-on breakdown I would like to get arrested for playing this whilst waving my dick at traffic. Also that's not a paint job, it's a vinyl sticker, that's why it's got that finish around the edge. Classy!

The original 60's ones were wallpaper.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

don't think I've ever seen a Strat with the matt gold (anodized?) pickguard... it's more of a vintage Jazzmaster thing isn't it?
Looks goofy on a strat. That guitar would be improved 100% with just a black pickguard (maybe even single ply so there's no white outline)
Something like:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Anodized pickguards are awesome because you don't have to wipe them down all the time

I don't like how they look on solid black guitars though

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
That's the thing though, it wasn't anodized aluminum, it was just slightly sparkly gold plastic. It looked really, really dumb.

The gold pickguards on the late 50s Jazzmasters (and some P-basses, I think?) look awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

White Dog Eggs posted:

The only reason a Les Paul has a carved top is because is because it's based on a jazz-arch top. Gibson didn't want to give it a flat top as they were afraid it'd look cheap.

And their god drat right because it's a thing of beauty, White Dog Eggs do you build guitars from scratch or something? Do you do commissions?

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

Rashomon posted:

That's the thing though, it wasn't anodized aluminum, it was just slightly sparkly gold plastic. It looked really, really dumb.

hahaa then yes that's really bad. who would willingly pick that?

then again if I've learned anything ITT there's no accounting for the tastes of guitar people

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

don't think I've ever seen a Strat with the matt gold (anodized?) pickguard... it's more of a vintage Jazzmaster thing isn't it?
Looks goofy on a strat. That guitar would be improved 100% with just a black pickguard (maybe even single ply so there's no white outline)
Something like:

Really? I've always hated black on black strats, especially with maple fretboards. My brain can only focus on all the metal screws and components as opposed to the contours of the wood, and a pickguard the same color as the guitar really only breaks up an otherwise clean looking surface.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Thumposaurus posted:

Put a totally useless pot on the headstock and label it "you suck"

Make sure it goes to 11.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Really? I've always hated black on black strats, especially with maple fretboards. My brain can only focus on all the metal screws and components

then sorry about your brain I guess

but seriously, what colour would look better ?
Red or tort would stink, white would make it look like a guitar hero controller

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's boring but a white pickguard is pretty much the only thing that goes with a black body

nobody's gonna remember what guitar hero was in a few more years anyway

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Woof!

Woof woof!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
MAESTRO!

MAESTRO!

MAESTRO!

MAESXUP???

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I dunno, I kinda like this one. It would look cool while hanging up and you could kinda hook your fingers around the inner body for stability when palm muting and the like. And it would be really light. If you gave it a non-stupid headstock and fretboard inlays (seriously, in theory a cool inlay could be fun, but in practice everything is worse than just plain dots) and I'd buy it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

What the gently caress is even going on with the back side of that guitar? Is it that lumpy and misshapen or is it a really bad photoshop cut-out?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

then sorry about your brain I guess

but seriously, what colour would look better ?
Red or tort would stink, white would make it look like a guitar hero controller

Actually I think out of those three, tortoise would be best... not that it would look good relative to most other good looking guitars.

Actually I think the biggest problem is the maple fretboard. Put a rosewood fretboard on there and I think a white pickguard would be best:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm only on page 13, but I just wanted to say thanks to the thread for causing Dr Faustus to have a major loving autsie attack.

• Locked thread