Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Madkal posted:

I was getting some serious "Iron Giant vibes" off that. I know it isn't a panel but when I get Iron Giant vibes I just have to see this again. It is one of the saddest things ever (involving a Superman reference even) and if you don't find it touching at all, well you are just dead inside.

I just had to go click that link, didn't I? :qq:

You loving bastard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Not to ruin it or anything but I'm pretty sure Mano Negro (the Black Man) is an avatar of Nyarlathotep there. :can:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Madkal posted:

I was getting some serious "Iron Giant vibes" off that. I know it isn't a panel but when I get Iron Giant vibes I just have to see this again. It is one of the saddest things ever (involving a Superman reference even) and if you don't find it touching at all, well you are just dead inside.

But...he survived?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DarkCrawler posted:

But...he survived?

But Juston and Sentinel didn't :smith:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flesh Forge posted:

Not to ruin it or anything but I'm pretty sure Mano Negro (the Black Man) is an avatar of Nyarlathotep there. :can:

La Mano Negra means The Black Hand. It was a name given to a few terrorist groups in the early 19th- 20th century. He could still mean The Black Man, the translaters english is pretty bad. I love how the mistranslation of 'The Covenant made Flesh' as 'The Confirmation made Meat' gives the story a much more sinister twinge.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

La Mano Negra means The Black Hand. It was a name given to a few terrorist groups in the early 19th- 20th century. He could still mean The Black Man, the translaters english is pretty bad. I love how the mistranslation of 'The Covenant made Flesh' as 'The Confirmation made Meat' gives the story a much more sinister twinge.

It's Mano Negra (Black Hand) because he has black hands (and face, and torso, and legs, etc..) 'cause of his wounds. Or it could be another literary reference. Trying to get more info on it I read that Alta Vista is filled with those.

Also, while trying to find the page in spanish, I came across this:

Doctor Doom gets a gig south of the border.

From now on I will always refer to Galactus as El Loco Rojo (The Red Madman).

Apparently this came about because Promotora K (the company that owns Kaliman) was sued by Marvel for the use of "El Hombre Increible" (The Incredible Man, as Hulk came to be known in Central and South America, since the word Hulk means "Mole"...which is the name they gave The Thing.) Anyway, after Promotora K won, they started using some Marvel characters in their covers, because one lawsuit is never enough apparently)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vincent posted:

"El Hombre Increible"

http://vimeo.com/20616652

"¡EL HOMBRE DE LOS MOLECULOS!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vincent posted:

It's Mano Negra (Black Hand) because he has black hands (and face, and torso, and legs, etc..) 'cause of his wounds. Or it could be another literary reference. Trying to get more info on it I read that Alta Vista is filled with those.

Also, while trying to find the page in spanish, I came across this:

Doctor Doom gets a gig south of the border.

From now on I will always refer to Galactus as El Loco Rojo (The Red Madman).

Apparently this came about because Promotora K (the company that owns Kaliman) was sued by Marvel for the use of "El Hombre Increible" (The Incredible Man, as Hulk came to be known in Central and South America, since the word Hulk means "Mole"...which is the name they gave The Thing.) Anyway, after Promotora K won, they started using some Marvel characters in their covers, because one lawsuit is never enough apparently)

You know the way that some actors would go over to Japan, particularly in the 80s/90s, to do a bunch of ads since they got good money and figured that no one would ever see them?

I guess it's the same with Marvel Super Villains and Mexico.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DarkCrawler posted:

But...he survived?

But you didn't know that when he uttered the name "Superman".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

You know the way that some actors would go over to Japan, particularly in the 80s/90s, to do a bunch of ads since they got good money and figured that no one would ever see them?

I guess it's the same with Marvel Super Villains and Mexico.

Lost In Translation, starring Victor Von Doom

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Lost In Translation, starring Victor Von Doom

Doom: At Last, Doom shall win the Oscar he so richly deserves for his poignant film exploring how different individuals are capable of connecting through the shared experiences of exploring a foreign land together, and draining the Power Cosmic out of the Silver Surfer!

Announcer: And the Award for Best Picture goes to, the Lord of the Rings!

Doom: JAAAAACKSON! And, no doubt, RICHAAAAAARDS! :doom:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bill and Ted's Excellent Comic Book #5. Death has moved to a new place and being part of human civilization means that for the first time ever, he needs a paying job. He's been having a hard time holding one down and is struggling to make rent. Luckily his landlady, who doesn't seem to really acknowledge what he is, is very understanding.

In #9, Death is fired because having a second job causes him to fall behind in reaping souls. He's replaced by Morty, who is a complete rear end in a top hat and tends to berate and laugh at all of his victims. Death makes a plea to the powers that be to get his job back.

:unsmith:

The whole series is solid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gavok posted:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Comic Book #5. Death has moved to a new place and being part of human civilization means that for the first time ever, he needs a paying job. He's been having a hard time holding one down and is struggling to make rent. Luckily his landlady, who doesn't seem to really acknowledge what he is, is very understanding.

And is ripped off wholesale from Mrs Gunderson, the landlady in Judge Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend who also has no idea who her lodger is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's kind of a...well, I dunno about 'standard' but it comes up a bit. I cite Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man, where he ends up working for Miss Flitworth as a farmer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bloodly posted:

It's kind of a...well, I dunno about 'standard' but it comes up a bit. I cite Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man, where he ends up working for Miss Flitworth as a farmer.

True, but in Reaper Man it's not just the landlady - nobody lets themselves accept who "Bill Door" really is.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Bloodly posted:

And is also replaced by a new Death, that he ends up beating at his own game.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bloodly posted:

I'm guessing Pratchett's comes first chronologically. Pratchett's had a pretty wide influence, it would not surprise me if it inspired similar takes.

e: actually it seems the Bill & Ted comic started around the same time Reaper Man came out so no idea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Robert Redford was the best Death in the Twilight Zone episode Nothing in the Dark.

Was Neil Gaiman's Death worth a read? A kindly reaper is something most people want to believe in, I think.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I liked the first Death miniseries more than the second, but they're both quite good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

Robert Redford was the best Death in the Twilight Zone episode Nothing in the Dark.

Was Neil Gaiman's Death worth a read? A kindly reaper is something most people want to believe in, I think.

Gaiman's Death is amazing and it's not just goth girls who think so.

Honestly, give the first mini a read (Death The High Cost of Living). The sequel was rather meh though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zorak posted:

I'm guessing Pratchett's comes first chronologically. Pratchett's had a pretty wide influence, it would not surprise me if it inspired similar takes.

e: actually it seems the Bill & Ted comic started around the same time Reaper Man came out so no idea.

They were both published in 1991 and the Judge Death story was originally published the year before but I'm wondering if there wasn't a similar situation in an old movie like Death Takes A Holiday or On Borrowed Time that was the inspiration for all of them. There's been personifications of Death having holidays on Earth for decades and decades.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Die Laughing posted:

:hfive: Love that episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were both published in 1991 and the Judge Death story was originally published the year before but I'm wondering if there wasn't a similar situation in an old movie like Death Takes A Holiday or On Borrowed Time that was the inspiration for all of them. There's been personifications of Death having holidays on Earth for decades and decades.

I'm pretty sure one of the 1001 Arabian Nights was an early version of "Death Takes a Holiday" (Later remade as the Matt Damon vehicle Meet Joe Black).

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the 1001 Arabian Nights was an early version of "Death Takes a Holiday" (Later remade as the Matt Damon vehicle Meet Joe Black).

Brad Pitt vehicle actually.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Bloodly posted:

A favourite of mine was the early 80s UK weekly, Eagle - one of its strips had an all powerful alien sent to carry out judgement on humanity. He ends up lodging with a widow and her son and regularly sitting down to watch Corrie with them when he wasn't off saving the world.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

General Bort posted:

Brad Pitt vehicle actually.

Matt Damon plays the car that runs Brad Pitt over.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Sentinel Red posted:

A favourite of mine was the early 80s UK weekly, Eagle - one of its strips had an all powerful alien sent to carry out judgement on humanity. He ends up lodging with a widow and her son and regularly sitting down to watch Corrie with them when he wasn't off saving the world.

Doomlord!

Quality....

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Doomlord!

Quality....

Doomlord....it's okay to depict people's graphic deaths in a children's comic, because it's in black and white.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Matt Damon plays the car that runs Brad Pitt over.

The first one or the second one?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

The first one or the second one?

It was a Matt Damon/Ben Affleck double team.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madkal posted:

It was a Matt Damon/Ben Affleck double team.

Oh you've seen the unrated cut of Good Will Hunting too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

How do ya like dem apples.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

The one with the alternate killing spree ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The one with the alternate killing spree ending.

You know, the only good part of the Jay & Silent Bob film is that scene.

"It's Hunting season."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

"It's Hunting season."

I completely forgot about that movie (really I can't recall anything about it). I was referencing this:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI

Edit: Jesus Christ that movie sucked.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know seeing the amount of Sandman in this thread, no one has posted Fiddler Green's death in the Kindly Ones and his refusal to come back in The Wake

Rhyno posted:

"It's Hunting season."
Well that and Mark Hamill

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I actually liked Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(although it's not as good as his other movies)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

drrockso20 posted:

I actually liked Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(although it's not as good as his other movies)

Still better than Zack and Miri.

From Donatello # 1

Donnie meets April's tenant, Kirby. He's found something that lets his drawings come to life and he and Donnie go through a portal and poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Action Tortoise posted:

Still better than Zack and Miri.
Fun fact that filmed mainly in my hometown and had a fun Dawn of the Dead shout out with a Tom Savini cameo in the mall.