Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've bought a phone outright from Rogers before, the Nexus S a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
A while back I had to go to a wireless wave in order to get them to sell me a phone from a carrier without service.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

A while back I had to go to a wireless wave in order to get them to sell me a phone from a carrier without service.

I did mine at Future Shop, it was a Rogers dealer but maybe that had something to do with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Do Rogers stores just let you buy phones outright?

I'm already with Rogers, but the corporate plan I'm on can't be modified by Rogers stores. It has to be done through the plan's assigned agent.

I'd rather buy in store because then I can just pay there instead of having to go through invoices and accounting (since they would put it on my monthly bill if the agent did it.)

You'll probably have to go through a dealer rather than a corporate store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

You'll probably have to go through a dealer rather than a corporate store.

So that's like Wireless Wave and stuff? I think that's the only one we have here. Do Futureshop and Bestbuy count?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

So that's like Wireless Wave and stuff? I think that's the only one we have here. Do Futureshop and Bestbuy count?

Yes, all three of those places should work fine.

I mean, it's entirely possible you could buy a phone straight out from a corporate store but from my limited experience they're generally not interested in helping unless you're starting/renewing a contract.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
If you are an existing customer of the company you want to buy the phone outright from, then yes, you can always buy a phone outright. Occasionally some reps may be jerks and not want to do it because they make no money off it, and it's kind of a waste of a phone because that phone could have been used in a more lucrative sale, but they should sell it to you. Tell the rep you want to buy an accessory or warranty along with the device, that may make them more inclined to help you. Return it later if you don't actually need it. The only catch is that they have to activate it when you leave. With most phones using SIM cards, however, that's not really a huge deal anymore.

If you aren't a customer and want to buy a phone, then yeah, I'd try a dealer like Futureshop or Best Buy.

If it's an iPhone, get it from the Apple Store, it's unlocked. If it's a Nexus, get it online, it's cheaper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want the Moto X, so the options are limited.

Sounds like a store isn't going to work for me though. They are 100% locked out of modifying any aspect of my account even at corporate stores, so even just activating is no good.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm curious why you would jump through hoops to pay full price for a Moto X when the Nexus 5 is more readily available for much less, and doesn't run a version of android from 2012.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm curious why you would jump through hoops to pay full price for a Moto X when the Nexus 5 is more readily available for much less, and doesn't run a version of android from 2012.

Must really want that wood rear case in guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nexus 5 is a boring incremental update. The Moto X's new features sound useful to me, while the Nexus 5 is just an imperceptible spec boost on what I already have.

And the price is the same after tax and shipping on the Nexus.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Lexicon posted:

Must really want that wood rear case in guess.

Like the wood backing will be available in anywhere other than freedomland :911:

Geektox fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 6, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Nexus 5 is a boring incremental update. The Moto X's new features sound useful to me, while the Nexus 5 is just an imperceptible spec boost on what I already have.

And the price is the same after tax and shipping on the Nexus.

The Nexus 5 is amazing dude. 4.4.2 fixes all the big issues like the camera. I did come from a Galaxy Nexus though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Any recommendations for best (i.e. least bad) tablet data plan in Canada? I assume there's no PAYG tablet data yet (odd - seems a natural niche for someone like Wind to fill).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
When it comes to the big 3, they're all roughly the same with slightly varying tiers. Depends on what you think your usage per month would be. I don't find the "discount" brands to be any better than the main brands when it comes to tablet plans.

I haven't considered WIND for tablets though, mainly because I don't have good WIND coverage in my area.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for best (i.e. least bad) tablet data plan in Canada? I assume there's no PAYG tablet data yet (odd - seems a natural niche for someone like Wind to fill).

WIND does have a PAYG plan from what I remember, something like $2 per GB up to a maximum of $5 per day.

I use their $30 for unlimited data plan, but I believe that plan is $40 now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My local Rogers store said they'll sell the phone straight up no problem, but can't give me the price over the phone.

Any Rogers employees know the off contract price of the Moto X? I think we have a few here don't we? The website says $450 for month to month but I know sometimes even that is discounted.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I know that Motorola recently announced they were permanently dropping the price of the Moto X to $400 in the US... not sure if that applies here as well though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't. $600 in Canada.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Aphrodite posted:

My local Rogers store said they'll sell the phone straight up no problem, but can't give me the price over the phone.

Any Rogers employees know the off contract price of the Moto X? I think we have a few here don't we? The website says $450 for month to month but I know sometimes even that is discounted.

Any luck with this? I've heard of careless Rogers Plus employees selling phones for the MTM price outright, but it should be $50 more. Dealers probably charge $600 because they have no interest in selling phone outright, as mentioned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The store I went to was a Rogers Plus. It rung up as $600.

(I didn't buy it.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 8, 2014

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Geektox posted:

Like the wood backing will be available in anywhere other than freedomland :911:

They only have bamboo, anything short of mahogany is a waste :colbert:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 ?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jonathan posted:

Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 ?

Nexus 4 is last generation. Get a Nexus 5.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

jonathan posted:

Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 ?

5. If you're buying on a contract, should be able to get it for free with a little negotiation.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
My plan with Virgin finally expired and I'm looking at the current offerings. Is there any better deal for 1 GB of data (don't care about minutes) than Koodo's $50 plan?

I'll probably get a 5S if I sign a contract because you come out slightly ahead at the end of two years than if I bought directly from Apple.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Science posted:

I'll probably get a 5S if I sign a contract because you come out slightly ahead at the end of two years than if I bought directly from Apple.

If you travel ever, don't discount the value of owning an unlocked phone. I could never go back to a locked device. It increases the resale value too, I'd argue, or at the very least, the prospective market when you eventually sell.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Keep in mind that in order to get a subsidy on an iPhone, you will likely have to choose a $70+ plan. You only get the cheap plans if you bring your own phone.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone know if the $4 value pack fido offers has visual voicemail for iOS as the voicemail?

They have it for $9 standalone and say "or less in a value pack" and there really only is the one value pack.

Fido's site blows. Why don't they even have a mobile version ffs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went to the telus store, they want $500 for the nexus 5, yet straight from Google its $350. I guess I should just order it straight from Google unless TELUS store will price match.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jonathan posted:

I went to the telus store, they want $500 for the nexus 5, yet straight from Google its $350. I guess I should just order it straight from Google unless TELUS store will price match.

They won't. Go ahead and order from Google.

Also it's more like $420 after shipping and taxes, but still better.

The Roadwarrior
Aug 23, 2003

I spend too much time thinking about the Montreal Canadiens.

Science posted:

My plan with Virgin finally expired and I'm looking at the current offerings. Is there any better deal for 1 GB of data (don't care about minutes) than Koodo's $50 plan?

If you're not signing a contract virgins 30$ with the flex data works out to be the same with the option of saving if you use less or only being dinged an extra :10bux: to go to 3GB.

30$ no data
35$ up to 25MB
40$ up to 100MB
45$ up to 300MB
50$ up to 1GB
60$ up to 3GB

Plus you get 10% off if you own your own phone or I think $200 off on a contract?

200 mins
Canadawide long distance
Unlimited text
Voicemail call display etc.
5pm-7am eve + weekends.

E: plan only used to be 25bux but you know.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Note that the 10% is only on the base $30. You'll get $3 off by brining your own phone on that plan.

The Roadwarrior
Aug 23, 2003

I spend too much time thinking about the Montreal Canadiens.

ZShakespeare posted:

Note that the 10% is only on the base $30. You'll get $3 off by brining your own phone on that plan.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've been getting it on everything. I didn't get it on my first bill and had to call and have them do an override on my account. They even wiped out my data bill from the first bill. Good stuff.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
If you buy a block of 500mb from Virgin, it'll cost you $15.

Bit of a rip but if you use data frequently you might want to go for it.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Am I missing something with Koodo prepaid? $15/mo + 2.5c/min + $15/gb just seems absurdly better than any other plan available on a big 3 network assuming you only need a couple hundred minutes and not unlimited.

edit: obviously related, if I pay off my device balance with Telus, can I cancel my Telus account without penalty? Do you have to cancel on the "right day" in the billing cycle to not get stuck paying for service time you aren't using? Or is stuff prorated to the day?

Kreez fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 12, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Kreez posted:

Am I missing something with Koodo prepaid? $15/mo + 2.5c/min + $15/gb just seems absurdly better than any other plan available on a big 3 network assuming you only need a couple hundred minutes and not unlimited.

edit: obviously related, if I pay off my device balance with Telus, can I cancel my Telus account without penalty? Do you have to cancel on the "right day" in the billing cycle to not get stuck paying for service time you aren't using? Or is stuff prorated to the day?

Telus doesn't do Tabs like Virgin or Koodo AFAIK. So you'll probably be subject to early termination fees as well.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Kreez posted:

It depends on when you originally signed up. If it was before August or so, then you are on the old policy with the arbitrary termination fee (20 per month remaining or whatever) and requires 30 days notice to cancel, with no real difference about what day you do it on.

If you signed after that date, or are already out of contract, or possibly if you were to change your phone plan after that date (I'm not sure if that applies to everyone) then you do not need 30 days notice to cancel, and the credit they gave you off the device becomes your termination/upgrade fee that you must pay off to cancel or upgrade.

It's similar to a tab, but unlike real tabs your monthly bill does not affect how fast your device balance goes down.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cross-post from SA-Mart: Selling a Rogers iPhone 4S: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602130.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

OilSlick posted:

It depends on when you originally signed up. If it was before August or so, then you are on the old policy with the arbitrary termination fee (20 per month remaining or whatever) and requires 30 days notice to cancel, with no real difference about what day you do it on.

If you signed after that date, or are already out of contract, or possibly if you were to change your phone plan after that date (I'm not sure if that applies to everyone) then you do not need 30 days notice to cancel, and the credit they gave you off the device becomes your termination/upgrade fee that you must pay off to cancel or upgrade.

It's similar to a tab, but unlike real tabs your monthly bill does not affect how fast your device balance goes down.

Got a new device last week, so I should be following the new rules. I have to wait until at least April 1 to cancel so I can get the phone unlocked, but I'll probably cancel then. On April 1 I'll owe $411 on the device balance, with a $80/mo plan. If I pay off the $411 and switch to Koodo prepaid, I calculate I come out ahead by $300, even if I use exactly 2GB every month. In reality I'll average 1.3 or so, and end up saving $550 over the next 2 years. More if I end up out of the country as much as I was the last 2 years.

By the way, I think Telus messed up my device balance. I got a 16Gb 5C. They had it priced for $129 upfront + $470 device balance = $599. I price matched with future shop and paid $0 upfront, but my device balance was still set to $470, not $599.