Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Roumba posted:

Also, what do I miss out on, statwise, by immediately converting a squaddie to a MEC rather than leveling them up a bit?
Always, always fully level up a sniper before you turn him into a mec. I actually just came here to gush about how loving amazing mine was when I saw your post so now I have a decent excuse: sniper mecs are loving amazing. My fully leveled sniper had an aim of 105 when I turned him into a mec, then sniper mechs get that +10 to aim and crit chance when they don't move and since he's already leveled up to colonel I just chose to give him the various abilities that improve his aim and firepower further like advanced fire control and whatever that return fire ability is. Then I gave him that punch skill that slightly boosts mobility along with the foundry upgrade that does the same and restorative mist to heal himself. End result is a mec with huge mobility and accuracy so high that I have literally never seem it fall below 75% (and that was for an enemy above him in full cover). Once you've unlocked the particle cannon the aliens might as well pack up and call it quits because you're one hit killing anything smaller than a berzerker and with those you can just run over and kill them with one punch.

Tl;dr: Fully leveled snipers turned mecs change mecs from being borderline overpowered to practically gamebreaking. I'm working on getting two so I can just send them in alone :black101:

Which is precisely what I did. Both were recruits I've had since the beginning and the squadsight sniper also ended up having psi powers so they're basically my A team. Carlos "Agave" Diaz and Ho "poo poo" Li are battle bros.
VVVVVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Seconding the raw awesomeness of MECs what don't miss. What I've found works is to push your first sniper down the Snap Shot path then chop his arms off once you start getting weapons that allow Squadsight snipers to come into their own. End goal is a Colonel Squadsight human and a Colonol ex-Snapshot MEC, plus trimmings.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chard posted:

Seconding the raw awesomeness of MECs what don't miss. What I've found works is to push your first sniper down the Snap Shot path then chop his arms off once you start getting weapons that allow Squadsight snipers to come into their own. End goal is a Colonel Squadsight human and a Colonol ex-Snapshot MEC, plus trimmings.
Weird, I'd do it the other way. Squadsight snipers are better in the early game whereas a snapshot sniper gets better as you get more and more genemods stacked on them. Plus snapshot isn't really that great until you get ITZ, whereas squadsight is useful all the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MEC snipers, you say? How about ones with 140 aim?

:v:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Iretep posted:

Well you try to fire a heavy machine gun from the hip and see how much ammo you go through before you hit anything. Don't think carrying a heavy rocket launcher helps any with the aim either. :colbert:

I'm actually rather convinced by this explanation and I hate my heavies 50% less now.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, don't ask me how hacking a comm relay makes them unable to shoot, but it basically applies Disabling Shot to all EXALT on the field. They can still use abilities/items, but their guns won't work unless they reload.

I love how their AI never seems to notice this until they try to shoot, so you end up getting scenarios where they run up to you with no cover confident they can one-shot you only to stare at you blankly and reload. "Fish squad, report to barrel."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hopeford posted:

I love how their AI never seems to notice this until they try to shoot, so you end up getting scenarios where they run up to you with no cover confident they can one-shot you only to stare at you blankly and reload. "Fish squad, report to barrel."

This quite accurately reflects my tendency to have assaults charge at the enemy only to do a dramatic reload or pistol pot-shot.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hopeford posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much how a real person would react. Presumably their guns have some electronic component that the hacking fucks with so it's not like they'd now until they tried to fire.

Also, I have to say I found Annette Durand's voice annoying at first but her thick (pseudo) french accent is starting to grow on me. Juz downt send me into aany dark corners.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Terror missions can be triggered from high panic, which is what you get when you ignore ufos. Prior to encountering this big UFO had you previously ignored a smaller UFO?
No. I ran out of interceptors (aborted all 4 attempts on the massive UFO) so I just decided to keep scanning. The same massive UFO popped up 4 days later (earliest interceptor was 1 day away for repair) so I had no choice but to ignore it. Scanned for activity again and I got the terror mission. So yeah, I ignored the massive UFO twice (once because I ran out of interceptors, the other because I had no interceptors) and got that mission.

prefect posted:

It is possible to take down ships like the one you're describing with Interceptors. (I remember running into the situation you're describing, but I don't remember exactly what the ship was for.) Make sure you've built Aim/Dodge/Boost modules for your planes, and use them all immediately when the fight starts. Disengage right before the first Interceptor is totally destroyed and then send a second one. Use your Aim/Dodge/Boost modules again, and if you're lucky, you'll bring down the ship before getting destroyed.

Thundercracker posted:

There's only 1 UFO in the entire game that can't be taken down with interceptors, and it's a very obvious plot-declared UFO.

Remember that you can back out of the Geosphere to build the interceptor buffing modules instantly. It's a good trick since there's no reason to ever tie up your cash in these modules (especially early on) and still have access to them.

Yeah, if it's any help, I had the base interceptors, not the Firestorm. I ended up getting that event again, but this time I had Firestorms available to intercept and managed to shoot it down. Turns out it was a goddamn battleship that pushed Muton Elites into my face. Ended up capturing one Elite out of that mess.

Of course, the game then decides I'm ready for Abductor-class ships and throws one at me because why not? Oh and it was nice enough to toss out my first Sectopod and more Elites. drat near lost my best Assault guy because of it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

There's only 1 UFO in the entire game that can't be taken down with interceptors, and it's a very obvious plot-declared UFO.

Remember that you can back out of the Geosphere to build the interceptor buffing modules instantly. It's a good trick since there's no reason to ever tie up your cash in these modules (especially early on) and still have access to them.
Actually even that plot dependent one can be taken down. I was lucky enough to get a firestorm researched and built pretty early on and had access to several of the boosts and still only just barely managed to. It was hard but possible, probably impossible with just an interceptor.
Edit: and I was using the EMP cannon so I guess you really need to book it if you want to be able to.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, don't ask me how hacking a comm relay makes them unable to shoot, but it basically applies Disabling Shot to all EXALT on the field. They can still use abilities/items, but their guns won't work unless they reload.

Like I said before

"dammit, why do we store our radios in our mags?"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I totally understand the appeal of snapshot snipers, I just kinda suck at using them effectively. Getting a string of ITZ kills is awesome but I play cautiously and prefer to keep my most reliable damage-dealer well out of harm's way. During the first months though there's no arguing with Snapshots, I just don't think they stay strong enough long-term.

Jestu
Mar 15, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is there a trick to winning the EXALT missions where you have to defend some weird hacking poo poo? I just got EW running and had my first one of those, and it was awful. They're easy enough to deal with individually, but they just kept coming. They were chipping tiny amounts of damage off my soldiers, but when they're throwing themselves under your gunsights like lemmings, the little damage starts to add up. They felt more like the goddam Red Army than some insurgent cell.

Should I fall back to that secondary hacking bit? What's the difference?

I had something like this happen to me. I had just completed the alien base and had my best guys in. Most of them wound up in the sick bay for a few days and I really wanted them around for the base defense mission

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

poptart_fairy posted:

While we're on the subject of SHIVs, do they count as XCOM personnel for the sake of a game over? I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain a campaign with nothing but robots up until the volunteer bit.

Well you'd still need at least one human with an Arc Thrower to capture the first alien and the Sectoid Commander to advance the plot.

That said, now I'm picturing Zhang giving his little speech to a wall of SHIVs in Friends in Low Places and now I'm going to HAVE to try this!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

poptart_fairy posted:

MEC snipers, you say? How about ones with 140 aim?

:v:

Hahaha holy poo poo, is that an outsider?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, next stop - XSHIV: Humans Unknown.

dyzzy posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, is that an outsider?

I may have a...slight issue with dragging things out before the alien base at times. :ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

I may have a...slight issue with dragging things out before the alien base at times. :ohdear:

I did this once. The alien base, base attack, and terror missions became Sectopod infested nightmares. Ever since then I've tried to take a more rushing approach to complete the alien base (and base attack) ASAP but I always end up crashing hard and wiping before I can get anywhere. It's like I managed to luck the gently caress out completing Classic way back and ever since then the game has poo poo on me every chance it gets.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aye, my first EW campaign ran into...February of 2016, I think. The actual base attack took place just as the new year came in; I had fully pimped out titan dudes and MECs on the upper walkway though, and they made absolute mincemeat of the Sectopods. The way I play the game is usually drag things out for as long as I'm enjoying myself, then just rush the alien base > base invasion > Ethereal UFO > Volunteer process and get it over with so I can start a new one and get back to the tech level I'm happiest with.

Of course this ends up with the aforementioned MEC-with-fusion-cannon-on-Outsider thing quite a bit. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Aye, my first EW campaign ran into...February of 2016, I think. The actual base attack took place just as the new year came in; I had fully pimped out titan dudes and MECs on the upper walkway though, and they made absolute mincemeat of the Sectopods. The way I play the game is usually drag things out for as long as I'm enjoying myself, then just rush the alien base > base invasion > Ethereal UFO > Volunteer process and get it over with so I can start a new one and get back to the tech level I'm happiest with.

Of course this ends up with the aforementioned MEC-with-fusion-cannon-on-Outsider thing quite a bit. :v:
And I thought I dragged things out. I usually do the plot stuff the instant I get Titan/plasma/firestorms all lined up, and I usually finish around September, I think?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ravenfood posted:

And I thought I dragged things out. I usually do the plot stuff the instant I get Titan/plasma/firestorms all lined up, and I usually finish around September, I think?

I've got a soft spot for training up Rookies and playing with lasers against EXALT, what can I say!

It's why I love playing the Marathon mutator. It extends things so I'm getting more longevity without bunny hopping through the technology levels, though I'm in the minority on that one obviously.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Screw rushing the base assault, that's boring. Live a little people, do the alien base super late, then rush the overseer, and get an Ethereal on the last wave of base defense. It's fun times, and be honest with yourself... your super squad of OP soldiers needs the challenge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fargom posted:

Screw rushing the base assault, that's boring. Live a little people, do the alien base super late, then rush the overseer, and get an Ethereal on the last wave of base defense. It's fun times, and be honest with yourself... your super squad of OP soldiers needs the challenge.
The Ethereal got vaporized by the proximity mines I'd saved for the last wave before I ever saw him so challenge accepted? Its hardest if you do the base assault in the carapace/lasers stage, in my opinion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I delayed the alien base a lot on my first game, but getting Sectoid Commanders on UFO missions is a lot more interesting than outsiders.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got the Newfoundland mission for the first time in Enemy Within.

Sweet zombie jesus, that was messy. I don't usually savescum but I wiped like three squads on that one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

The Ethereal got vaporized by the proximity mines I'd saved for the last wave before I ever saw him so challenge accepted? Its hardest if you do the base assault in the carapace/lasers stage, in my opinion.
Yeah no poo poo. My squad has lasers but no carapace. I manage to survive the first room with only base security losses.. Then in the mech bay I'm greeted by three mectoids, three sectoid commanders and two sectoids. :suicide:

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Everything in the game is trivial when you use sperg tactics, yes. The point is people should be trying new things, using alternate strategies, doing things at different times, ect. Playing the game over and over with super perfect min maxed squads gets boring as gently caress real quick.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

poptart_fairy posted:

While we're on the subject of SHIVs, do they count as XCOM personnel for the sake of a game over? I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain a campaign with nothing but robots up until the volunteer bit.

SHIVs won't take part in base defense so you'd be pretty hosed there without a couple of decent human soldiers at least.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm going to plug multiplayer again. It is bugged in many ways, but it is also fun.
Beware, the majority of people playing are crazy good; you are better off finding someone on your friends list to play with at first. I completely suck, but I've managed to find a few people to play with that keep it interesting for me.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, hit me up. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pohlio/
I'm average, maybe. If you are really good, I won't present a challenge. If you are brand new, I can help you understand the interface and you may even be able to beat me. I don't completely suck, but I'm not familiar with the maps and I have a really difficult time picking a good team.

Edit: I prefer to play muliplayer Enemy Unknown, because the mechanics in Enemy Within just really make the game a poo poo show in multiplayer.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

SHIVs won't take part in base defense so you'd be pretty hosed there without a couple of decent human soldiers at least.

First, I just want to ask, is this true, or is this speculation because SHIVs are so far down the list? I wonder if they will participate if you simply have no one else in the barracks.

Second, if true, that's some loving bullshit, of the highest order.

Third, does anyone have any advice for surviving month 2 and Thin Men on Classic or higher difficulty?

I can launch 3-4 satellites in the first month, but doing so pretty much saps absolutely every single resource, which means getting ANY other upgrades isn't going to happen. Either I exhaust everything to get 3-4 satellites up before the end of month 1, leaving me with some money at April 1st, but weeks away from anything else.

I mean, where can you possibly go from there? The base is power blocked, and getting the 3-4 satellites up in the first month means not having the money to have started an additional power generator before the monthly pay out. So MECs/SHIVs, Gen Mods are pretty much out. So I'm like two weeks out from anything that could help me deal with Thin Men, which pretty much means, doing jack poo poo except getting squadies killed for two weeks. I have no idea how I could possibly play the first month any tighter, even when lucking out with a second abduction mission before month's end, and I'm still pretty much completely helpless for the month of April.

How do I balance satellites and not dying to Thin Men in the second month? I can handle everything else with ballistics and basic armor, its just those drat lizards.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question, how big of a step up is going from normal difficulty to classic?
Also, how big of a change is the hidden potential second wave thing? Are we talking tiny variations in stat gain or is there a chance of getting like +1 or + 15 to aim from person to person?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kiggles posted:

First, I just want to ask, is this true, or is this speculation because SHIVs are so far down the list? I wonder if they will participate if you simply have no one else in the barracks.

From personal experience of trying an all shiv run and firing everyone but 4 to get the shivs in the base defense... kinda? I'm pretty sure it's not the norm, but when the alloy shiv tried to reinforce as the second wave(5th dude) it got stuck in the wall where it spawned instead of moving into the base, and spawned in damaged to boot. This really didn't matter though, because the game seriously bugged out in addition to that and disabled every button but the main menu via escape and the lower left buttons to rotate the camera.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Feeble posted:

Quick question, how big of a step up is going from normal difficulty to classic?
Also, how big of a change is the hidden potential second wave thing? Are we talking tiny variations in stat gain or is there a chance of getting like +1 or + 15 to aim from person to person?

The aliens aim is better, hit harder and crit more often. I don't like to lose guys on missions so I have replayed a few but it isn't a lot harder, if you struggled on normal it might be a challenge, if you blew through normal it will be more fun.

On second wave I have seen 27-60 for will and 60-80 for aim that I can remember off the top of my head, most of the time I have gotten one or the other but 10-20% of the troops seem to be much better than with this turned off.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Feeble posted:

It is hard, but worth it. You will die, a lot. After awhile though, you will get it and you will be glad that you did.

-use full cover exclusively (this isn't always possible)
-hunker down instead of using overwatch when you know you are going to be shot at
-smoke grenades will save your life
-If everything looks terrible, retreat into safe cover
-use grenades and explosives liberally

-Don't take bullshit shots, and don't expect the aliens to miss... ever

-The geoscape is much more of a bitch. Research times take longer, if I'm remembering correctly. Everything is harder.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Third, does anyone have any advice for surviving month 2 and Thin Men on Classic or higher difficulty?

How do I balance satellites and not dying to Thin Men in the second month? I can handle everything else with ballistics and basic armor, its just those drat lizards.

I can't give you a setp by step guide, but if money and time are that tight for you, you could try not going all out on satellites; get two for panic management, and use the money for your base infrastructure.

Other than that, you should be able to get a few levels on your guys during month 1. Have medkits on your point men, so they're immune to poison, and cover them with smoke from your support when you have to shoot it out with thin men. Blow them up with rockets whenever you can hit two or more.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

dotster posted:

The aliens aim is better, hit harder and crit more often. I don't like to lose guys on missions so I have replayed a few but it isn't a lot harder, if you struggled on normal it might be a challenge, if you blew through normal it will be more fun.
Ah, good that's exactly what I was hoping for. I breezed through normal so I was looking for a bit more of a challenge.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Feeble posted:

Ah, good that's exactly what I was hoping for. I breezed through normal so I was looking for a bit more of a challenge.

The AI cheats in your favor on normal. It doesn't hold back on Classic. It isn't just harder, it is in many ways a different game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Feeble posted:

Careful, breezing through on normal doesn't mean you'll have an ok time of it. You will get bullshitted, the trick is to just put the game down and leave it for a bit.

Speaking of which, I should do the same. I swear, thin men are the biggest pain in the arse, that's another run down because of them.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I found the EXALT Comm Defense missions quite hilarious when I put Mimetic Skin onto my covert operative. Just parked him in cover next to the Encoder/Transmitter (whichever was closer) and they can never ever hack it, giving me all the time in the world to shoot them down.

Almost as hilarious as putting Mimetic skin on my Heavy who got Low Profile from Training Roulette.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Feeble posted:

I'm going to go ahead and repeat some of the advice you just got:

Use high cover. What this means is don't use anything but high cover. No, it won't be okay to use that low cover sandbag for one turn. This is true even for sectoids but with thin men and that bullshit Light Plasma with its aim bonus, it's mandatory.

Use explosives. You don't need 1 more Sectoid corpse and 2 weapon fragments. You need veterans. That means killing aliens and not dying or getting wounded for 15 days, and Dr. Vahlen can just go suck a dick. When you first play the game it always seems like you're making a sacrifice when you throw a grenade or shoot a rocket, but play classic for a while and every time you can gib more than one alien with the Flame of Anor.

Classic is much harder and can feel unfair sometimes, but you'll learn to work with it. Compared to normal, in which you feel pretty godly for most of the game, Classic generally retains the possibility of grisly failure throughout, especially if you get complacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, messing around with the Enemy Within options.

The medals and nano-implants are a lot to process. What medals do people generally pick? Is Will a really important stat in the late game, or. . .?

• Locked thread