Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Kenshin posted:

For sure male, there were the plain-colored females around but it was really difficult to get a good shot.

You photos are also about 900% better than the first bird photos I produced were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Did some practice with my new lens today and I'm quite pleased with the results. Can't wait to go out to a wildlife area and use this thing.

This isn't the greatest of shots but it's interesting because this little guy has a scrape on his head. I don't know what species this is but he is TINY, half the size of my fist. I saw him flitting around in a bush and had to wait for several minutes until he came to the edge of the bush where I could see him (and where the sun was shining on him)

ISO 450 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/250sec

American Robin (pretty sure this is a male?). I got a bunch of great pictures of a small flock of them on this tree eating berries, but this shot I managed to get as he was swallowing the berry.

ISO 400 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/320sec

The first one is a ruby crested kinglet, we saw a bunch of them on sauvie island by portland. They are so tiny, and have a freaky eye!
We saw loads more gold crested kinglets in seattle which are less freaky looking. If you're in the woods for a bit, you can hear them twittering around in the bush, and eventually they'll come out if you're still. They're hard to get a good photo of though! Although they're related to goldcrests in the UK, their behaviour is a lot like long tailed tits with the mob foraging and communication calls.

The Robin, yeah he's a male. They make for good subjects because they just sit around eating so much. I grew up with those guys in my backyard and they can eat an impressive and disgusting amount of earthworms.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Linedance posted:

The first one is a ruby crested kinglet, we saw a bunch of them on sauvie island by portland. They are so tiny, and have a freaky eye!

Ah yes! I always get them confused.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Female House Sparrow (I think, she was hanging out with the male above)

ISO 400 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/250sec

That's actually a Golden-crowned Sparrow. Nice pics!

(also, it's Ruby-crowned, not ruby-crested) on the kinglet. Those guys are small and flitty, but also one of the most responsive to "pishing" and will often come pretty close to check you out if you make some shushing noises.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I was going to say that, but the fact it was hanging out with a house sparrow was confusing. I'm jealous, I've never actually seen one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

(also, it's Ruby-crowned, not ruby-crested) on the kinglet. Those guys are small and flitty, but also one of the most responsive to "pishing" and will often come pretty close to check you out if you make some shushing noises.
Oh, huh, that does make sense. I was wondering where that yellow came from.

Yeah it seemed like the House Sparrow was serenading this one, because he was singing and then (she?) hopped onto the bush near him and hung out for a while while he was singing.

Pukestain Pal posted:

You photos are also about 900% better than the first bird photos I produced were.
Um, wow, thanks!

I really love this as a hobby.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pukestain Pal posted:

Echoing this, great stuff!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kenshin posted:

Did some practice with my new lens today and I'm quite pleased with the results. Can't wait to go out to a wildlife area and use this thing.

This isn't the greatest of shots but it's interesting because this little guy has a scrape on his head. I don't know what species this is but he is TINY, half the size of my fist. I saw him flitting around in a bush and had to wait for several minutes until he came to the edge of the bush where I could see him (and where the sun was shining on him)

ISO 450 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/250sec

As others said this is A Ruby-Crowned Kinglet. I'm guessing the scrape you mentioned was actually its crest, which is typically hidden but occasionally pokes through. Nice photos indeed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hell, a lot of those shots are better than the bird shots I do now.

I miss Australia where we'd semi domesticated half the birds that lived in the neighborhood and I could take a picture of a Kookaburra or a butcher bird from a foot away without them giving a poo poo.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I took a second pass at that picture in Lightroom. I think this in an improvement.

Also, here's another of the same little guy. I didn't like this one at first but some fiddling in Lightroom and I'm actually pretty happy with it. Now that I knew to look for the little red crest and I know what shade the bird is supposed to be it was a lot easier to fix the colors when I got rid of the heaviest of the shadowing.

EDIT: I hope I'm not posting too much but I got what I think is a fantastic close-up shot of a male House Sparrow this morning, and another I really like (though it isn't perfectly framed) of when he flew off.

Honestly the imgur JPEG doesn't do it justice, that is the entire frame, uncropped, and the detail on the feathers is nothing short of amazing.

ISO 200 (auto), 400mm, f/8 1/320sec

ISO 200 (auto), 400mm, f/8 1/320sec

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 5, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
At only ISO200 you've got plenty of room to push that shutter faster, even at f/8. If you're using auto ISO set the high stop at 800 and just crank the shutter up until your overall exposure evens out. You're going to need every click of speed you can get as you get used to smaller birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

At only ISO200 you've got plenty of room to push that shutter faster, even at f/8. If you're using auto ISO set the high stop at 800 and just crank the shutter up until your overall exposure evens out. You're going to need every click of speed you can get as you get used to smaller birds.
Makes sense! I use aperture priority mode with most of my lenses but I think with this lens I should be using shutter priority, since I'm pretty much always shooting at f/8 with this lens for maximum sharpness.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kenshin posted:

Makes sense! I use aperture priority mode with most of my lenses but I think with this lens I should be using shutter priority, since I'm pretty much always shooting at f/8 with this lens for maximum sharpness.

Everyone is different but here's my flow: I, too, start at f8 but manual mode provided my background isn't too busy so the extra depth isn't going to hinder me. I leave my ISO on auto but capped at 800. You can get higher ISO depending on your frame but my lowly 3100 gets way too noisy at 1600 and south. I meter my target area at 1/1000 and generally stay around there, ISO will soak up the rest of the light. If I need more light I'll back off to 1/640 but usually no lower. You can gradually work your way wider than f8 if you're getting close to sunset or the light just isn't working and you're getting dangerously slow on shutter.

Stick with single point, back button focus if you can.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I got another two nice shots of a Robin while trying to shoot at Belfast Zoo. Most of my photos of actual zoo specimens sucked, so it was nice to get something out of the day:

img_0002 by barfish, on Flickr

That one isn't as sharp and I don't like the framing as much, but it's not too bad given the overcast conditions.

img_0001 by barfish, on Flickr

This one I'm quite proud of though- The neon-green painted building in the background works well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

img_0001 by barfish, on Flickr

This one I'm quite proud of though- The neon-green painted building in the background works well.
Wow, that's a beautiful shot.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Here's a Western Scrub Jay as it was taking off. I started getting hits for this picture right after I posted it and wondered why for a half second until I remembered that I named it Bird Butt. Guess what the fine members of flickr were searching for?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Welcome to the thread, Kenshin. You're off to a good start!

I had my first close-up encounter with a Merlin this week:

merlin-perch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Least Sandpipers coming in for a landing

least-sandpipers by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Ruby-crowned Kinglet, I think. They've mostly been hiding in the reeds, and I haven't had a chance to get a good long look at them.

ruby-kinglet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

It's not a great picture, but this was my first Sharp-shinned Hawk sighting

sharp-shinned by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Ruddy Duck in the first moments of diving

ruddy-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

Welcome to the thread, Kenshin. You're off to a good start!

I had my first close-up encounter with a Merlin this week:

merlin-perch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

That is fantastic! Are you using an extender to get 600mm or do you have a real deal 600mm? I have a 300mm f/2.8 and been wondering how lovely the quality of a 2x extender would be. not worried about the min aperture going up to f/5.6 since I shoot birds at 8 or 11 anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

That is fantastic! Are you using an extender to get 600mm or do you have a real deal 600mm? I have a 300mm f/2.8 and been wondering how lovely the quality of a 2x extender would be. not worried about the min aperture going up to f/5.6 since I shoot birds at 8 or 11 anyways.

Wondering this also, have the same setup.

E: Nvm I have a 300mm 5.6 it'd be too dark.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

This was with the Sigma 120-300mm (pre-Sport version) and 2x TC. That combo works pretty well stopped down to around f/11. Sharpness is okay a little wider than that, but autofocus accuracy and speed with the teleconverter on suffers a bit. I would think that you'd get better results with a prime instead of a zoom, too, especially if you have one with a focus limiter.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

This was with the Sigma 120-300mm (pre-Sport version) and 2x TC. That combo works pretty well stopped down to around f/11. Sharpness is okay a little wider than that, but autofocus accuracy and speed with the teleconverter on suffers a bit. I would think that you'd get better results with a prime instead of a zoom, too, especially if you have one with a focus limiter.

Awesome, I have the same lens (but I actually use it for sports since that's my job). I'll have to give it a try.

Also, I love that sigma. I'm not sure why it's called the pre-sport version since there is very little difference besides the usb microadjusting. Which extender are you using?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Awesome, I have the same lens (but I actually use it for sports since that's my job). I'll have to give it a try.

Also, I love that sigma. I'm not sure why it's called the pre-sport version since there is very little difference besides the usb microadjusting. Which extender are you using?

I'm using Sigma's current 2x teleconverter. I'd imagine a contemporary Nikon/Canon one would work just as well if not better, but I'm doing almost all my documentary shooting on Sigma lenses right now and wanted to be consistent with color rendition.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pukestain Pal posted:

Almost all of my shots are with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 non-IS plus 2x TC mkII. It's...useable at 5.6 but I usually stop it down to 6.3 - 8 depending on the light and situation. I've even tried out stacking the 2x + 1.4x with decent results. If you do decide to use a TC, definitely go with Canon. The Kenko's aren't too bad but the Canon's are absolutely superior and worth the couple extra bucks.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Almost all of my shots are with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 non-IS plus 2x TC mkII. It's...useable at 5.6 but I usually stop it down to 6.3 - 8 depending on the light and situation. I've even tried out stacking the 2x + 1.4x with decent results. If you do decide to use a TC, definitely go with Canon. The Kenko's aren't too bad but the Canon's are absolutely superior and worth the couple extra bucks.

good to know.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pukestain Pal posted:

I shoot with both combos and have to say the 300+2x is ideal, especially for birds in flight. It might make a difference since I'm using a 1DX, but for me there is pretty much no appreciable loss of AF speed with a 2x attached. I much prefer it over my 600 which feels like a lead brick in comparison.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
During one of my waiting-for-the-plane days in the Arctic I went for a walk to annoy the Jaegers. I succeed: they were annoyed with me.

Annoying the Parasitic Jaeger Family 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Annoying the Parasitic Jaeger Family 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

Annoying the Parasitic Jaeger Family 13 by Execudork, on Flickr

A pair of adult Parasitic Jaegers defending their already-flying-why-are-you-bothering offspring are pretty much the perfect birds to photograph. They call constantly, they don't try to hide, they'll fly straight AT you rather than away, and when they near-miss (which they always* do) they cruise past at just above eye level and just above stall speed, giving the stink-eye.

Annoying the Parasitic Jaeger Family 4 by Execudork, on Flickr
Of course, a big, angry bird accelerating hard straight in on me is pretty much impossible to keep up with as far as focusing. Hence shots like this.

* in my experience, though they've come *really* close a few times. That's when I leave, I don't want to accidentally injure a bird because it decided to bang a wing against my head in flight.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

* in my experience, though they've come *really* close a few times. That's when I leave, I don't want to accidentally injure a bird because it decided to bang a wing against my head in flight.

fairly certain you'd be the only one hurting

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

I shoot with both combos and have to say the 300+2x is ideal, especially for birds in flight. It might make a difference since I'm using a 1DX, but for me there is pretty much no appreciable loss of AF speed with a 2x attached. I much prefer it over my 600 which feels like a lead brick in comparison.

I've noticed a slowdown on AF with the 2x on a 1D4. I also have a lens made in 1987 so that might be a factor as well. Canon reps have said that there is electronics in the 2x to slow AF speed by 50% (25% for 1.4x) for the sake of accuracy but I've read that the 1DX drives AF better/faster so it might not be as noticeable.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've noticed a slowdown on AF with the 2x on a 1D4. I also have a lens made in 1987 so that might be a factor as well. Canon reps have said that there is electronics in the 2x to slow AF speed by 50% (25% for 1.4x) for the sake of accuracy but I've read that the 1DX drives AF better/faster so it might not be as noticeable.

I'm going to give one a try this weekend and see how it goes.

Do you guys end up needing to microadjust or anything due to the 2x?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm going to give one a try this weekend and see how it goes.

Do you guys end up needing to microadjust or anything due to the 2x?

I did a micro adjust for bare lens, lens + 1.4x, and lens + 2x. I'm not sure if it was totally necessary; its not like any of those combos was really out of alignment but I did see a little difference when zoomed in on live view.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Plush-Crested Jay by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Rhinocerous Hornbill by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Awesome.

More juvenile Lapland Longspurs

Longspurs at the Weather Station 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Longspurs at the Weather Station 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Longspurs at the Weather Station 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's a beautiful blue & gold macaw. Yours, or...?

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Nope, one of two at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love macaws but they can be so goddamn dramatic

Theatre, Darling by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Not an egg. by limeyrock, on Flickr

I thought about saving this one 'til easter

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got to watch a kleptoparasite try desperately (and succeed) to avoid getting kleptoparasitized. In this case I think the jaeger legitimately caught the fish itself, though there were enough Arctic Terns around it's possible this was a thief attempting to steal from a thief.

Attempted Klepotparasitism 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Attempted Klepotparasitism 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

Attempted Klepotparasitism 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

Attempted Klepotparasitism 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I love macaws but they can be so goddamn dramatic

Theatre, Darling by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Just fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I took a different route on one of my walks which puts the sun in a much better position and is less frequented by people. I was able to find these three birds pretty close each other.