Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

I completely hosed up typing "Green Eggs and Ham" and I am sure that will be the difference in getting an audition :(

:smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I think I did better than last time, but I wasn't really keeping track. Not that I did great.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Haha, at the last second I realized the star was "Sirius" and I typed in "Siri". HOPE IT COUNTS.

I definitely got around 30. Maybe 32 or 33 if I'm lucky. My best year ever definitely..Gotta study next year to have a shot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

gently caress every stamp question ever.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

zakharov posted:

I completely hosed up typing "Green Eggs and Ham" and I am sure that will be the difference in getting an audition :(

Do they get what you've typed anyway or do you have to press the button? If it's the former, I think they have 'gre ggse an' for that one.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Do they get what you've typed anyway or do you have to press the button? If it's the former, I think they have 'gre ggse an' for that one.

I would assume they get what you typed. At least I hope so because I let time run out on each one intentionally because my touchpad on my laptop does weird poo poo sometimes.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
drat it I typed "Meyers" instead of "Meyer" for the Host/Twilight question, which probably won't count as simply misspelling if they go by show rules.

I feel like I did average overall, I'm not sure though. Definitely not good enough to get called.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah they get what you typed

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Anxiously awaiting the results, come on internet don't fail me.

Definitely did better than last year, less made up answers.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I got the Ender's Game and Myer questions, but blanked on James Fenimore Cooper's name. A sad day.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Oh my God I think I started to type NCIS for the Mark Harmon question but didn't finish. gently caress questions about lovely shows.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Notgothic posted:

I got the Ender's Game and Myer questions, but blanked on James Fenimore Cooper's name. A sad day.

Forgot who wrote Rip Van Winkle and complete spaced on Tripoli because I couldn't think of the second line of the Marine's Hymn (drat Gaddafi!)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Billy Idle posted:

Oh my God I think I started to type NCIS for the Mark Harmon question but didn't finish. gently caress questions about lovely shows.

I put CSI :barf:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Forgot who wrote Rip Van Winkle and complete spaced on Tripoli because I couldn't think of the second line of the Marine's Hymn (drat Gaddafi!)

Oh yeah, I did remember Washington Irving at least. My self-respect is partially restored.

I'm sure I broke 35, but I definitely didn't do as well as last year.

Edit: I can't tell if I got the stamp question right, I guessed Ben Franklin (because hey, first postmaster general, why not) but wikipedia says there were Franklin and George Washington stamps?

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 8, 2014

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

zakharov posted:

I put CSI :barf:

Haha okay now I remember what I did, I meant to type "CSI" but my fingers did the wrong thing so I started erasing after "NC" and then time ran out.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Was the three named poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning? She's the only three named poet that came to mind that ever comes up on Jeopardy.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Republicans hosed up my poo poo because I couldn't stop thinking about Benghazi and knowing that wasn't it

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Here's where the list of answers will eventually be: http://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1749

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Here are some answers

Thurgood Marshall
The Good Wife
Queen Victoria
Washington Irving
Rio Grande
YouTube
Aorta
Everglades
Fortnight
Richard III
Carrie Underwood
Captain Morgan
Catherine de Medici
Flounder
Pirouette
Mother's Day
Fiddler on the Roof
Pennsylvania
Los Angeles
Pterodactyl
Chunnel
Lingo
Terry McMillan
Baltimore Sun
Triumverate
Copper
Penguin
Brigham Young University
Jonathan Swift
Rihanna
Pentagon
Ender's Game
Tripoli
Perjury
Exodus
Battle of Hastings
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Charles Darwin
Atlanta
Green Eggs and Ham
Alaska
Athena
NCIS
James Fenimore Cooper
Sirius
Joseph Stalin
Intel
British Columbia
Stephenie Meyer
Perry Ellis Island

I put Colorado River instead ugh. Looks like I got 39 though :toot:

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Hell yeah I broke 20. 21! That's good enough for me, I haven't watched Jeopardy in years.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I think I got 41 :toot:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Oh nice, 42 or 43 (depending on if I got Johnathan Swift in time), that's about as good as last year, then. What was the Queen Victoria question? I don't remember that at all.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
43 (charitably 44 if they accept Catherine for Catherine de Medici which is admittedly unlikely).

edit: Be nice seeing you next year, when I look you up again, score.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Notgothic posted:

Oh nice, 42 or 43 (depending on if I got Johnathan Swift in time), that's about as good as last year, then. What was the Queen Victoria question? I don't remember that at all.

That was the penny black stamp question, I think. I had no idea.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Oh man, 28 :/ Next year!

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
In non-test stuff, that final category was a dick move. It put my mind in a completely different place than "who invented the telegraph."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

In non-test stuff, that final category was a dick move. It put my mind in a completely different place than "who invented the telegraph."

Radio.

I definitely did a "how the hell should I know the name of some officer on the Titanic, oh wait, I get it now" to figure that out.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I've never taken the test before, are you guys scoring yourselves by actually keeping track of what you wrote? How do you do that in 15 seconds?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mo0 posted:

I've never taken the test before, are you guys scoring yourselves by actually keeping track of what you wrote? How do you do that in 15 seconds?

Made no effort to. You'd be surprised how much you remember if you look at the answers within an hour.

How these guys get the answers though, I'm impressed.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 8, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
That makes sense, it's less about remembering the question and more about remembering whether or not you typed "Green Eggs and Ham" in the last 5 minutes.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

43 (charitably 44 if they accept Catherine for Catherine de Medici which is admittedly unlikely).

edit: Be nice seeing you next year, when I look you up again, score.

Wouldn't they accept that? Seems like the "de Medici" is assumed since it was stated as part of the question.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That was the penny black stamp question, I think. I had no idea.

Huh. I'll have to see that question again, maybe I didn't read it right on the test. But yeah, my answer on it was a total guess.

Edit: "First sold in 1840, the “Penny Black” & the “Two Penny Blue” both featured this person" that'll teach me for assuming they meant American stamps, still that's kind of a ridiculous question.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 8, 2014

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Welp, 23 then. Maybe 24. Ah well, it was my first time.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I'm taking the test on Thursday, but my score on this one would have been 35. I am wondering if the difficulty levels are going to be as different as they were last year.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Officer Sandvich posted:

I'm taking the test on Thursday, but my score on this one would have been 35. I am wondering if the difficulty levels are going to be as different as they were last year.
I'm taking it Thursday, too.

What was the concensus for last year?

I remember Tuesday was super easy. Wednesday more difficult. Thursday the most difficult?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

escape artist posted:

I'm taking it Thursday, too.

What was the concensus for last year?

I remember Tuesday was super easy. Wednesday more difficult. Thursday the most difficult?

I dunno, it all depends on what categories you're good at.

I seem to remember that, for me, Thursday would have been the best (I think I took Wednesdays,) because it had a larger proportion of science and math questions, and less literature/poetry.

That being said, I'm taking it tonight, so I hope it's not a repeat of what last year was like for me...:ohdear:

Edit: Looks like I would have gotten 32-34 had I taken it last night.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 8, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I would've gotten 25 had I taken it last night, which is definitely not show material, but I enjoy the challenge regardless. I'm gonna take it "for real" tonight.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Central time test tonight y'all, get fuckin' hype

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wow...I think the only way tonight's Final Jeopardy could have been easier is if they went with the other big political death of 2013, Nelson Mandela. But seriously, Thatcher? That's a fuckin' $200 question.

I can't believe that one guy got it wrong.

Edit: Ok, the test page isn't letting me log in...it keeps saying "log in 30 minutes prior to the test."

Uhh...the test is in less than 20 minutes...can anyone else log in, yet? I remember past years it was pretty reliable to log in about 30 minutes prior.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow...I think the only way tonight's Final Jeopardy could have been easier is if they went with the other big political death of 2013, Nelson Mandela. But seriously, Thatcher? That's a fuckin' $200 question.

I can't believe that one guy got it wrong.

Edit: Ok, the test page isn't letting me log in...it keeps saying "log in 30 minutes prior to the test."

Uhh...the test is in less than 20 minutes...can anyone else log in, yet? I remember past years it was pretty reliable to log in about 30 minutes prior.

I've been logged in for about 20 minutes now, if the countdown timer is any indication. Try a Ctrl+F5 or something to clear your cache?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mo0 posted:

I've been logged in for about 20 minutes now, if the countdown timer is any indication. Try a Ctrl+F5 or something to clear your cache?

I tried that, didn't work...I'll try another browser.

Fake edit: Ok, got it working in FireFox...weird it wasn't working in Chrome, even though it passed the little "computer check" test.