Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Then I absolutely misunderstood what was said :downs: He probably meant that Yuri did such a good Japanese accent he asked him to tone it down. I assumed he was Japanese and never bothered looking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yuri Lowenthal speaks Japanese fluently among other languages, but he is American. He actually voiced a character similar to Wonder White in Anarchy Reigns, Zero. I don't know who in Platinum's localization team thought to put him on "Japanese Dude" duty, but man do they know what they are doing.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

People have said it before, but in addition to the obvious positive qualities the game actually also has pretty drat good writing- did Platinum write this in English first or something or is it just a masterful localization job? I seem to remember English being the "first" language in some of their other games.

Even in their games that only have English voice tracks, the scripts were written in Japanese first. This is true for a lot of seemingly "English-first" games like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, and Platinum's previous works at Capcom like Viewtiful Joe and God Hand. Platinum just has a great localization team.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man, gently caress the Punch Out! bottlecap...

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

This is old news but it hasn't been mentioned yet. The price has been reduced to $29.99 at Gamestop, Target, and Best Buy. Amazon too, but they're already out of stock.

Get on this already, if you haven't.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I just got the game and I keep getting the worst possible rankings on each level.
Am I the only one who finds it difficult to interpret what the game is asking you to in some points? The initial run through a level is awful (I spent a half hour wailing on the head of the mech in stage two without knowing i was supposed to attack the other hand through a bridge) but I love this game the second time around each one.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

The Gorp posted:

I just got the game and I keep getting the worst possible rankings on each level.
Am I the only one who finds it difficult to interpret what the game is asking you to in some points? The initial run through a level is awful (I spent a half hour wailing on the head of the mech in stage two without knowing i was supposed to attack the other hand through a bridge) but I love this game the second time around each one.

Yea, the game is pretty opaque in certain areas. I had the identical problem, but when I finally figured it out and saw the visual clue (my little robot buddy) I thought, "duh, why didn't I see that before?" So now I m just a bit better than I was before. I am only up to wonder pink so far, but I'm loving the game. Once I figured out how to draw with the right stick, the game has actually felt very intuitive and I say I'm around 95% accurate. I'm hoping the later drawings don't blow my mind. I'm also a bit scared to buy the faster drawing because I'm afraid it will mess with my accuracy. Has anyone noticed a vast difference with the faster drawing?
@The Gorp
I started the same way. But I actually just finished the last level I did with a silver after getting consolation the whole time. Everything finally clicked when I became more aware of watching what color they all turn as I'm drawing, rather than complete the drawing more than necessary (not sure if that makes sense)

GRINK HELCH fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 27, 2013

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The Gorp posted:

At the specific point you mentioned, P-Star will indicate to build a bridge by projecting a hologram. P-Star will give hints throughout the game like that, so pay attention to him if you get stuck again.

GRINK HELCH posted:

I'm hoping the later drawings don't blow my mind. I'm also a bit scared to buy the faster drawing because I'm afraid it will mess with my accuracy. Has anyone noticed a vast difference with the faster drawing?
I had the same fear, but the Speed Liner is a really worthwhile upgrade. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. If you want to practice, Hold L while drawing. It makes the liner go a little faster, although not to the level of the Speed Liner.

Also, all new players should read this guide. It's basically all the tutorial you should need.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The other big issue of my wondering why god hated me was when you get wonder green and need to kill the artillery. Just shooting it made it flash red and flinch and i dodged the bombs because i knew they blew up if you touched them even after they landed with red/blue. I probably hit it 500~ times before remaking the bridge to check the tool-tips to see what i could possibly be missing.

I love this game it's just unintuitive as all hell. Red damage sparks shouldn't appear if your attacks are doing nothing. The only reason I bring that up is that P-bot wont tell you anything about that specific scenario and you have to learn that green can "absorb" (which is an awful word for what he does) shots from the floor.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 28, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

The Gorp posted:

The other big issue of my wondering why god hated me was when you get wonder green and need to kill the artillery. Just shooting it made it flash red and flinch and i dodged the bombs because i knew they blew up if you touched them even after they landed with red/blue. I probably hit it 500~ times before remaking the bridge to check the tool-tips to see what i could possibly be missing.

I love this game it's just unintuitive as all hell. Red damage sparks shouldn't appear if your attacks are doing nothing. The only reason I bring that up is that P-bot wont tell you anything about that specific scenario and you have to learn that green can "absorb" (which is an awful word for what he does) shots from the floor.

Do you have the tutorials on? Because this pops up for that entire encounter. Like, it appears the second it starts and stays until you finish it.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Nope, must have been turned off somehow if it wasn't off by default.
I love this game but small things like that window not appearing until I went back and looked the Wii-U pad menu are interrupting the experience. I also had to turn off rumble because it was shaking like crazy even during periods of inaction. Maybe I just have a slightly dysfunctional copy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
They're on by default, so in all likelihood, you held down the left bumper a bit and so disabled them. Given how one naturally grips the gamepad, its not hard to imagine.

Otherwise, due to the scope of the game missions and what it considers, even 'periods of inaction' can have stuff go on in the background to trigger the rumble. I will say it can sometimes go overboard with how much though.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I picked this back up over the holidays, determined to unlock all the secret characters.

I'm thinking Hard mode after a five-month hiatus is probably not the best time to start doing Kahkoo-regahs.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
The rumble seems way more extensive on the Gamepad than with a pro controller it feels like. I haven't tested intentionally or anything though. You hit something once and it goes on forever. Also this is the only game I've played that makes the Gamepad feel like a cell phone vibrating.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

whaley posted:

The rumble seems way more extensive on the Gamepad than with a pro controller it feels like. I haven't tested intentionally or anything though. You hit something once and it goes on forever. Also this is the only game I've played that makes the Gamepad feel like a cell phone vibrating.

It's pretty poo poo and drains the battery, you're better off without it.

The rumble that is.

Also, having a competent coop companion makes for transcedent gameplay.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Yesss I hadn't really given the multi-player a second thought but I got in it the other night with a friend who knows how to play these sorts of games and it was way more fun than I expected. Five good players at once has to be absolutely ignorant

whaley fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 8, 2014

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I gave up on this game a month or so ago when, I was going through on hard. I just couldn't get into it like Bayonetta or God Hand which I beat on every difficulty. I also got pretty far in DMC 1&3 though I never quite beat them on DMD. All the little mans get annoying, and the battery thing feels worse than it's equivalents in the titles I mentioned. I just don't really enjoy it as much as those other games.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Do you only play character action games?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jut letting PAL dudes know that you can buy a digital copy of W101 from the Nintendo UK website for 8.95GBP right now:

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/gift-ideas/price/up-to-100.list#ninint_GBP_price%3A[5%20TO%209.99]|sort:price

EDIT: over already?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2014

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

CHARACTER ACTION has the be the worst genre name you can possibly come up with. Where did that even come from

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
This game clearly doesn't count as character action anyway. There's 100 of them, after all. Clearly this is a characters action game. :colbert:

Okay but in all seriousness, I'm just past 003, and I'm really enjoying the game but I'm also really bad at it. It's harder to pick up than Rising was (Rising being the only other Platinum game I've played extensively). I mean, I'm not getting stone ranks, most of them are actually gold or silver, but it always feels like I'm taking way too long and not being efficient enough with my morphs. Saur's videos helped, but I still feel like I'm missing something. What do I need to know about this game so that it can "click"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I picked up the game after the price dropped in half, but I also picked up Revengeance immediately after and I'm just now playing Revengenace, so I'm gonna start playing in a few days but, man, i'm pretty mediocre in this genre but it's so loving fun. Can't wait to see how Wonderful 101 goes.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wild Knight posted:

This game clearly doesn't count as character action anyway. There's 100 of them, after all. Clearly this is a characters action game. :colbert:

Okay but in all seriousness, I'm just past 003, and I'm really enjoying the game but I'm also really bad at it. It's harder to pick up than Rising was (Rising being the only other Platinum game I've played extensively). I mean, I'm not getting stone ranks, most of them are actually gold or silver, but it always feels like I'm taking way too long and not being efficient enough with my morphs. Saur's videos helped, but I still feel like I'm missing something. What do I need to know about this game so that it can "click"?

If it's your first time through, you might not have enough little mans to create a big enough unite morph to deal heavier damage. Also piling on all the little mans to the appropriate target to get the better juggles is balls hard. I never figured it out completely despite watching some video on it.

In most action games you just play as some dude. W101 is really kind of a deviation from the norm. I also play some RPGs and platformers. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though. I think that guy was just high or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

whaley posted:

CHARACTER ACTION has the be the worst genre name you can possibly come up with. Where did that even come from

I think Brad coined the term in his DmC review and then people started using it? I know the Two Best Friends use it constantly to like describe what essentially is 3D Gameplay focused on a single character that plays in sort of a freeform style. The combat can be deep, but of course this isn't the case for all of them. I agree though, the term is really loving stupid and doesn't actually say what the genre is and I would rather it die before it becomes a set term.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I think Brad coined the term in his DmC review and then people started using it? I know the Two Best Friends use it constantly to like describe what essentially is 3D Gameplay focused on a single character that plays in sort of a freeform style. The combat can be deep, but of course this isn't the case for all of them. I agree though, the term is really loving stupid and doesn't actually say what the genre is and I would rather it die before it becomes a set term.

Character action was around long before DmC. I saw it used as early as DMC3. I'm pretty sure it started somewhere in Japan because "character action" just sounds like a Japanese genre name but I don't know where.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I always call them stylish action games since they tend to have a focus on playing stylishly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Character action was around long before DmC. I saw it used as early as DMC3. I'm pretty sure it started somewhere in Japan because "character action" just sounds like a Japanese genre name but I don't know where.

Oh wow, it goes back that far? It's strange I hadn't heard it it until last year then.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Got this game for christmas, returned it to Best Buy and repurchased it, netting myself a $30 gift card, and started playing Saturday.

Made it to mission 003 before discovering that team attacks aren't loving useless. I've just been running around with the sword swinging blindly and now the game makes a lot of loving sense.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I've heard the term "character action game" for like... a decade.

They're called that because the actions you can do in the game are heavily dictated by a character and their story.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Kamiya wants to add Mii's to the Wonderful 102 and he wants to stay the director for it unlike Bayonetta 2.

I really hope Nintendo greenlights whatever sequel he's apparently brainstorming. source

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So Kamiya wants to add Mii's to the Wonderful 102 and he wants to stay the director for it unlike Bayonetta 2.

I really hope Nintendo greenlights whatever sequel he's apparently brainstorming. source

He must really love making W101 to consider a sequel after the first flopped so hard (except in the eyes of a couple of fans). I want to see more of this series as much as anyone, and I'm thankful a sequel could even be projected, but does Platinum just have that money to throw around?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Platinum gets paid to make games for other studios; they don't really spend much of their own money on the games they make, so in that sense they aren't as directly affected by low sales as other developers might be. Kamiya in particular just doesn't seem to give a poo poo either way.

That being said, there's never gonna be a sequel unless Nintendo pays for it, and why would they?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That being said, there's never gonna be a sequel unless Nintendo pays for it, and why would they?

They clearly love working together, and now that Nintendo isn't doing so well for the third year in a row they're gonna need devs like Platinum to pump out quality software.

Also the more I learn about Kamiya the more I like him. That man is a legend.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I just beat this game last night and oh my god I love it so much. Now to play through on hard and get more than mostly bronze medals. Also I'm pretty sure the only thing that could've made the ending better was some kind of giga drill breaker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wind God Sety posted:

I always call them stylish action games since they tend to have a focus on playing stylishly.

I call them skill-based action games because unlike standard beat-em-ups figuring out all the abilities and how they work together is part of the game, and in some cases pretty much all of it. Unfortunately "skill" is a term loaded with so much baggage that it sounds like I'm putting down all the other kinds of games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
gently caress the giant turtles in Mission 03. gently caress that you have to hit them with the hammer before you can actually damage them, gently caress that they always come in pairs, gently caress that their attacks are usually staggered, and especially gently caress that the hammer takes so goddamn long to attack that you get knocked out of the animation half the time because one of them decided to snap at you with its head while you were trying to smash the other one's shell. Jesus, they are so aggressively unfun to fight, they break the flow of the game so badly.

I know, I know, "get good." But if I'm not having fun, I'm not going to bother putting in the time to get good.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I actually found them to be the easiest enemies in the game. Five hits or so with a full-size Hammer should be enough to kill them.

As you said, they always show up in pairs, so you need to make sure you're never in between them. Then it's just a matter of watching their attack animations to get a feeling for when you can attack.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
Alternatively, you can block their stomp that they do when you're beside them and flip them over so you can wail on them with whatever. Using the hammer exclusively feels like it takes way too long to me.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Artix posted:

gently caress the giant turtles in Mission 03. gently caress that you have to hit them with the hammer before you can actually damage them, gently caress that they always come in pairs, gently caress that their attacks are usually staggered, and especially gently caress that the hammer takes so goddamn long to attack that you get knocked out of the animation half the time because one of them decided to snap at you with its head while you were trying to smash the other one's shell. Jesus, they are so aggressively unfun to fight, they break the flow of the game so badly.

I know, I know, "get good." But if I'm not having fun, I'm not going to bother putting in the time to get good.

Use the Hammer's spin attack if you've unlocked it. It's faster and hits multiple times and you can still cancel out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Dodge-canceling makes the turtles much less frustrating to fight and makes the hammer much easier to effectively use before you get its special moves since your combo (and the size of your unite morph) is maintained after the dodge. And I would actually recommend staying between the two turtles, or at least as close as you can, since they'll use their stomps more often. That stretchy neck attack is really aggravating when it comes out of nowhere offscreen, so don't let them get offscreen (this applies to all enemies)! You can Unite Guts their stomps, as mentioned, but I'm pretty sure you can't block the two-foot one, so just stay out of the way. Also don't forget that you're completely immune to any fire damage with Unite Hand out, even if the flames aren't necessarily hitting the hand. Also also do you have the Unite Charge custom block? You should get Unite Charge.

The turtles were my most hated enemy early on, too. You will get better!

(post-game spoilers) Whoever decided to make you find the kahkoo-regahs and secret missions on every difficulty is a butt. I thought I was so close to getting Vorkken and Immorta :(

• Locked thread