Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The early ones are fine. You can pretty much stop watching when he just starts uploading nothing but unedited CZW show clips, or worse yet has to rely entirely on minor miscues at the latest WWE PPV to make a six-minute episode. Really he ran out of content, is all.
Didn't he recently start a Kickstarter for writing a book on wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't he recently start a Kickstarter for writing a book on wrestling?

Yeah he is working on a comprehensive history of wrestling video games.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVYrjMXMqc

This is probably the best Botchamania segment of all time. It's the best/worst ladder match I've ever seen.

Edit: Starts at 6:31.

I had forgotten just how out of it Austin was during that match. That's scary.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What makes the Rude vs Roberts match really frustrating is that we know both guys can do better.

Roberts was never really known for excellent matches and Rude at that point was actually pretty bad. He improved in a major way over the course of the next few years. Better, yeah, but not wildly so.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Capsaicin posted:

I love that it's him losing his balance at first, so you think "that's all it is", but then it stays on him a bit more and you're like, "how else is he going to gently caress up?".
You can think of at least five different things other than "not moving forward and just smashing his gut on the turnbuckle", but good lord, that's the best option of all.

The turnbuckle looked extremely loose for a move like that. I can't imagine an SSP is easy to perform even with sturdy ropes, let alone ones that shaky.

PAC was a tad sloppier in the indies and I don't think I've ever seen him botch in NXT, but that didn't look like his fault. [edit] I stand corrected, but my point stands about the ropes.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 8, 2014

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The guy botching the shooting star press was Marek Brave. I don't think PAC was ever in IWA Mid South.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Oh wow, that's going to be quite the book seeing how it's going to be a sperg-out for late '90s wrestling games followed by lamentations of "why can't AKI make wrestling games again!" knowing that ain't going to happen today.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Oh wow, that's going to be quite the book seeing how it's going to be a sperg-out for late '90s wrestling games followed by lamentations of "why can't AKI make wrestling games again!" knowing that ain't going to happen today.

It's actually borderline too easy to make fun of the concept, but apparently he's got wrestler interviews having to do with it and stuff. Might end up being a fun book. Goons seem to like Death of WCW and from what I've read of that it's horribly written, so it'll probably find its audience. It did meet its Kickstarter goal.

95% of wrestling games are really lovely, though.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I didnt play No Mercy when it was out and Ive never understood the love for it when Ive played it since

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

I think MDickie is his partner for it too. So it's going to be magical.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The longer the Jeeeesus lever segment is, the worse the Botchamania is I find.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Taff posted:

I didnt play No Mercy when it was out and Ive never understood the love for it when Ive played it since

The engine seems pretty sluggish now but that series of AKI games were really the best multiplayer wrestling games.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There really are a surprising amount of wrestling games throughout the years, especially on home computers and other poo poo. I've seen a few I'd never heard of on that Funtime Wrestling Arcade thing, I'm looking forward to the book.

Random Question: Does anyone remember exactly what The Heartthrobs did on WWE Byte This that basically got that show cancelled and themselves fired?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Roberts was never really known for excellent matches and Rude at that point was actually pretty bad. He improved in a major way over the course of the next few years. Better, yeah, but not wildly so.
What? He wasn't the guy to drag a good match out of a bad wrestler, but when he had another good worker he was solid gold, with rare exceptions like the Mania 4 match.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Never have really heard about any great Roberts matches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

HulkaMatt posted:

Never have really heard about any great Roberts matches.

His matches with Savage were really good, but I don't know if I'd call them great.

Edit: I've seen, like, nothing, ever, from Mid-South, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The blindfold match from WM7 is way better than it has any right to be and is essentially Ring Psychology 101.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

The blindfold match from WM7 is way better than it has any right to be and is essentially Ring Psychology 101.

That match is utter garbage.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

That match is utter garbage.

It was on accident, but when one of them is putting the hood on, they lift it up in front of the camera, and it's obvious that you can see through it.

Despite this, Martel and Roberts barely touched each other. They basically wandered around, asking the crowd for help, and then Jake gets a DDT out of nowhere to finish.

There was a blindfold match on SmackDown! a year or three ago (Santino?) that was a little better.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The crowd was nuclear for that Jake/Martel match. Probably because it's the biggest possible audience participation match, but still.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

You know, I always wondered: was Savage really planning on retiring after losing to Warrior at that show?

He gave Warrior like 4 or 5 flying elbowdrops, which was kicked out of.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know that when I was 9 and a huge mark for Jake that I loved the blindfold match and the angle leading up to it, but I've never seen it as an adult.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Tato posted:

Random Question: Does anyone remember exactly what The Heartthrobs did on WWE Byte This that basically got that show cancelled and themselves fired?

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=9;t=062171

is all I was able to find last time I looked.

quote:

I never watch the show but was told by several readers who watched live on WWE.com they went too far with a mock dating show they conducted. This included bringing out a guy in a Banana suit that defecates smaller Banana's and undressing Todd Grisham and covered him up with their feather boas. Management was said to be furious that the skit went out live and have even threatened to completely cancel Byte This. The Throbs have been on the endangered species list for months.

No video of it that I could find.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has Roman Reigns had any great singles matches against anyone who isn't Daniel Bryan?

I keep seeing his name tossed around as the next big thing, and I'm curious why everyone is so high on him. I understand he has a great presence and is really solid in his role in The Shield, but I'm not sure about his ability to work a singles match since it seems like he's been protected in trios matches for a long time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Has Roman Reigns had any great singles matches against anyone who isn't Daniel Bryan?

I keep seeing his name tossed around as the next big thing, and I'm curious why everyone is so high on him. I understand he has a great presence and is really solid in his role in The Shield, but I'm not sure about his ability to work a singles match since it seems like he's been protected in trios matches for a long time.

He's had three singles matches that were really given any time. A boring one with Orton, a great one with Bryan and a good one with Punk. The reason people are high on him is he has a good look, charisma and has been booked incredibly well. WWE has put him in a role that makes you want to see more of him and it is working.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

He's had three singles matches that were really given any time. A boring one with Orton, a great one with Bryan and a good one with Punk. The reason people are high on him is he has a good look, charisma and has been booked incredibly well. WWE has put him in a role that makes you want to see more of him and it is working.

Thanks, that's fair enough. Just curious if he had some blowaway match that was causing all the excitement, as is the case sometimes when a guy is on the rise. Guess time will tell!

Although the Road to Wrestlemania can be an iffy time to build a new star, if you're not going to actually pull the trigger and put him in a main match.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Oh my loving lord, I LOST it at the guy SSPing himself on the turnbuckle.

Billy Kidman?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taff posted:

I mean, a lot of it is probably nostalgia, but at the time it was pretty advanced compared to the other available options (Acclaim garbage). But ultimately, you and three friends sitting in front of a monster CRT TV with N64 controllers with stick grit coming out of them screaming when someone manages to come back from nearly dead to pulling a stunner and winning is a good memory.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, a lot of it is probably nostalgia, but at the time it was pretty advanced compared to the other available options (Acclaim garbage). But ultimately, you and three friends sitting in front of a monster CRT TV with N64 controllers with stick grit coming out of them screaming when someone manages to come back from nearly dead to pulling a stunner and winning is a good memory.

I don't call it nostalgia, I call it the amazing joy of watching a friend hit finisher after finisher on you, go for the pin and then just nudging the control stick to kick out at 2.9999 as they scream and howl wondering why.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I don't call it nostalgia, I call it the amazing joy of watching a friend hit finisher after finisher on you, go for the pin and then just nudging the control stick to kick out at 2.9999 as they scream and howl wondering why.

That game really was the best for 2.99999999999 kickouts and the horrified reactions of your friend who was sure they had you this time. :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite is still Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium, even though I kind of hate the matches it encourages when they happen in real life. (Oh, and gently caress you, Super Tiger.)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I loved in No Mercy how the 3D was made to be the most devastating move ever. It had something ridiculous like "SS" damage or something, and it sounded like a nuke hit whenever it was pulled off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The AKI engine in general brought something to the table that nobody's really been able to replicate since: Extremely intuitive controls in a wrestling game. Anyone could pick it up and play and you'd only have to briefly explain the buttons, and everyone got it. It seems like ever since Yukes started making games, I have to take a few minutes to remember what the buttons are and how to do all the different moves. And yet to this day I STILL know what the Revenge/WM2000/NM controls were.

I'll take weird blocky one-expression characters any day, if you can give me controls I never have to think about.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

PunkBoy posted:

I loved in No Mercy how the 3D was made to be the most devastating move ever. It had something ridiculous like "SS" damage or something, and it sounded like a nuke hit whenever it was pulled off.

oh man, the 3D was AMAZING!!!

Once, my brother and I actually managed to pull it off on the announcer's table. It only happened once but it was the most amazing thing we ever did in No Mercy.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

sticklefifer posted:

The AKI engine in general brought something to the table that nobody's really been able to replicate since: Extremely intuitive controls in a wrestling game. Anyone could pick it up and play and you'd only have to briefly explain the buttons, and everyone got it. It seems like ever since Yukes started making games, I have to take a few minutes to remember what the buttons are and how to do all the different moves. And yet to this day I STILL know what the Revenge/WM2000/NM controls were.

I'll take weird blocky one-expression characters any day, if you can give me controls I never have to think about.

This. You could pick up and play the game no problem. This meant (along with the dearth of N64 games), that even people who weren't wrestling fans could pick up the game and have a blast with it. More than being just a great wrestling game (which it was), it was a great multiplayer fighter that was ultra accessible but still had depth to it. Modern WWE games are anything but casual in the way they control and handle characters. I feel like they're missing out by not making a separate spin-off that fills this void. I guess WWE All Stars was supposed to do that, but it wasn't quite the same thing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love No Mercy, but I'd KILL for a new game using the Day of Reckoning engine.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

I feel like Joe Gagne, who does a youtube series over the history of wrestling games, should sue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

spongeh posted:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=9;t=062171

is all I was able to find last time I looked.

No video of it that I could find.

Me neither, but I definitely remember watching that episode... it was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

I miss Byte This, the episode with Simon Dean was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Tato posted:

This. You could pick up and play the game no problem. This meant (along with the dearth of N64 games), that even people who weren't wrestling fans could pick up the game and have a blast with it.

Exactly. Those N64 wrestling games were how my cousins got into watching wrestling. We would all play 4 player fatal fourways and tags for hours as kids.