Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody know the English name for this leafy green? Seen it in Chinese grocery stores in America and now this garden store shot in Taiwan. My wife's favorite. Might also be a question for the gardening thread. Looks kinda like arugula but tastes different.

鹿角萵苣

Literally "antler lettuce" or "elkhorn lettuce"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was Chinese time again. Thanks thread!

The Cantonese steamed fish (sadly beheaded to fit into the pot), I followed the youtube recipe. The oil seemed unnecessary.

Gravity's clay pot seafood soup. Looks a lot different than his picture (and I have no clay pot) but it was great.

And an ugly version of his dumplings, except with beef since I was cooking for a non-pork eater.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 8, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody know the English name for this leafy green? Seen it in Chinese grocery stores in America and now this garden store shot in Taiwan. My wife's favorite. Might also be a question for the gardening thread. Looks kinda like arugula but tastes different.

According to my mom it is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtuce

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
When you guys make 3 cup chicken, do you use sake, michu or xiaoshing?

I've always used sake out of habit and a bigass bottle is like $5 here and is very drinkable; however, I came across a well priced bottle of Michu from Taiwan recently but its 19.5% abv and was a bit afraid it might be too heavily alcoholic. As always the xiaoshing is just faithfully sitting there .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have the benefit of living in Chicago which has Chinatown which has wonderful chinese markets. The problem is .. I don't know half the time what any of this stuff is!!! It does not have english language translations on most of the items and vegetables.

Is there a easy guide to grocery shopping that lists fruits/ veggies and what they look like ?

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The Cantonese steamed fish (sadly beheaded to fit into the pot), I followed the youtube recipe. The oil seemed unnecessary.

Now do the same thing but use cat fish and eat your heart out; it's a classic dish. I can't emphasize this enough, but when you saute the ginger and soy sauce mixture, you definitely want to use oil (if you don't want to use that much, then add a small amount). It mellows out the taste of the soy sauce and like you said, adds a tiny bit of texture. Some people like to use raw green onions to place on top of the fish prior to topping with the sauce, but growing up I was used to adding the green onions in with the sauce while you're doing the saute. I've done both and I like the latter more, but if you like the crunch from the raw onions then stick with the other method. Another thing you can do is that there are different soy sauces you can use, I stick with the lighter kind but sometimes I use a sweeter soy sauce made especially for seafood. That way you don't have to add in your own sugar unless you want to control how sweet it is.

You might want to invest in a wok if you want to keep the head on when you steam fish; woks are big enough so you don't have to chop anything off, just buy one of those dish risers to use for steaming. If you do use cat fish, depending on the size it usually takes about 15-25 mins to steam. You will know it is done when the meat doesn't stick to the spine and comes off fairly clean, if there's still some toughness and doesn't slickly come off, steam it for a couple more minutes. You can also pop it in a microwave for a couple minutes as well if you don't want to wait for water to boil again (usually what I end up doing).

Also I'm disappointed in the lack of green onions in that picture :colbert:.

Kuhmondo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 11, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No catfish in Korea unfortunately. They do have a species of catfish here but it tastes like nothing, was a huge disappointment. Locating a real wok has proven impossible too. I might look on vacation.

There were copious green onions hiding under the cilantro.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Kuhmondo posted:

Also I'm disappointed in the lack of green onions in that picture :colbert:.

Pretty much this. And you need a bigger plate. Good effort though. With cat fish you can add black bean sauce as well! Do I need to bring you a wok next time when I come to Korea? You really should just hop on a air busan flight next time you are on holiday and then all your Cantonese cooking problems will be solved.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Dumb question:

is there a "culinary terms in various asian languages for white people" primer anywhere on the internet?

There is a fantastic asian market here in town, but literally outside of the Lao Kim or whatever it is brand stuff that they also sell at the regular grocery store literally nothing is in english. Especially not the spices. And definitely not the meats. (Well, meat and veg are completely unlabled period. But its pretty easy to tell what things are), but it'd be nice to know that I'm grabbing the right stuff, especially cause a lot of it is in different languages since it's the only asian market in a town of 100k people. Also, white people in south dakota have like, never seen wasabi peas before. its odd. I've snacked on them for years, brought a tin in to work today since I stockpiled half of what they had in the market and just got a lot of odd looks.

That said, I've got two big rear end pork bellies defrosting in the fridge and a big ol' set of pork ribs to make char sui with this week. I love char sui, and had hit upon a decent recipe just from trial and error, but am going to give the one on the wiki a shot and see how much better it is, and one of the bellies is going to that fantastic pork belly recipe posted in the beginning of the thread. (The other is going to bacon.)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I need menu planning help!

So, our Christmas homebrew is featuring cinnamon and ginger and we decided we had to have Chinese food for Christmas. I figured Gravity's red braised pork is just the ticket.

However, my google-fu is failing me on good Hunanese side dishes. A little help, goons? (I guess now would be a good time to order Fuschia Dunlop's Hunan cookbook.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dry-fried rabbit with shredded peppers. Rice noodles in spicy beef sauce. Stir-fried chili peppers with streaky pork. Fried rice.

I lived in Hunan for a while and these are the most iconic ones I can think of. If you like super-intense heat the first one is the best, rabbit gets nicely crispy when dry-fried and it seems almost like a 1:1 weight of rabbit to chili pepper so it's insanely hot.

The Hunanese make a mean fried rice though so if you're going for a comfort food side dish that's what I'd choose. In Hunan your normal fried rice ingredients are egg, pork strips, a little chili bean sauce for umami, some diced dried chili, that spongy fungus that tastes sour and isn't wood ear (maybe someone else could help me remember what that is) scallions of course. The key to getting it authentic is to fry it as hot as possible tossing constantly until the rice is a golden brown color with little bits of wok hei. You don't need to add anything at the end except a tiny bit of soy sauce and some pepper to taste.

I really miss the fried rice in Hunan. People in Sichuan couldn't make good fried rice if their lives depended on it. Here it's just throw some rice and two other ingredients in a wok stir fry for thirty seconds and serve. It's a mushy depressing disaster. In Hunan sometimes you have to wait 10 minutes for fried rice but by god it comes out perfect.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Dry-fried rabbit with shredded peppers. Rice noodles in spicy beef sauce. Stir-fried chili peppers with streaky pork. Fried rice.

I lived in Hunan for a while and these are the most iconic ones I can think of. If you like super-intense heat the first one is the best, rabbit gets nicely crispy when dry-fried and it seems almost like a 1:1 weight of rabbit to chili pepper so it's insanely hot.

The Hunanese make a mean fried rice though so if you're going for a comfort food side dish that's what I'd choose. In Hunan your normal fried rice ingredients are egg, pork strips, a little chili bean sauce for umami, some diced dried chili, that spongy fungus that tastes sour and isn't wood ear (maybe someone else could help me remember what that is) scallions of course. The key to getting it authentic is to fry it as hot as possible tossing constantly until the rice is a golden brown color with little bits of wok hei. You don't need to add anything at the end except a tiny bit of soy sauce and some pepper to taste.

I really miss the fried rice in Hunan. People in Sichuan couldn't make good fried rice if their lives depended on it. Here it's just throw some rice and two other ingredients in a wok stir fry for thirty seconds and serve. It's a mushy depressing disaster. In Hunan sometimes you have to wait 10 minutes for fried rice but by god it comes out perfect.

That rabbit sounds :eyepop: I might have to see about that one!! Thank you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of my local joints does spare ribs with a really sweet glaze, and they're awesome. I think it's honey, but I'm not sure. What are the basics for a spare rib glaze that I can use to build on?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

I have been thinking about getting some black vinegar, I'm in Canada so I assume the brands will be similar to the ones in the US. Reccomendations?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

One of my local joints does spare ribs with a really sweet glaze, and they're awesome. I think it's honey, but I'm not sure. What are the basics for a spare rib glaze that I can use to build on?

Soy, maltose, hoisin. Add rice vinegar and/or xiaoshin wine as you see fit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Soy, maltose, hoisin. Add rice vinegar and/or xiaoshin wine as you see fit.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I've never used maltose, gonna have to pick some up and experiment.

Edit: Would I just slow roast them and glaze them periodically? They don't have the texture of something that was braised first.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I've never used maltose, gonna have to pick some up and experiment.

Edit: Would I just slow roast them and glaze them periodically? They don't have the texture of something that was braised first.

Yeah that should work. My glazes are usually thick/intense enough (and I'm lazy enough) that I just get the glaze on there and roast them without bothering to brush them during.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hey foodie goons. If this question is too stupid hopefully you'll all at least appreciate the bump.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making dark soy sauce themselves with soy sauce and molasses/dark brown sugar/something else and can give me some tips. I'm majorly allergic to gluten (not a hipster foodie I swear) and while I can get GF tamari (San-J until mom brought something else home because she fears naturally occurring MSG :can: ) GF dark soy sauce doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Also would I be horribly remiss using San-J/whatever else in place of light soy sauce?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I have been thinking about getting some black vinegar, I'm in Canada so I assume the brands will be similar to the ones in the US. Reccomendations?

I'm also Canadian. The kind that I got on recommendation from the Asian grocer here is Gold Plum - I'm no expert but it certainly seems to do everything I would expect it to. It was like $2 and a quick google seems to indicate it's one of the better ones available over here. Fuchsia Dunlop recommends it apparently.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

DisDisDis posted:

Hey foodie goons. If this question is too stupid hopefully you'll all at least appreciate the bump.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making dark soy sauce themselves with soy sauce and molasses/dark brown sugar/something else and can give me some tips. I'm majorly allergic to gluten (not a hipster foodie I swear) and while I can get GF tamari (San-J until mom brought something else home because she fears naturally occurring MSG :can: ) GF dark soy sauce doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Also would I be horribly remiss using San-J/whatever else in place of light soy sauce?

I'm not sure on how sensitive you are but have you tried Soy Sauce since you went GF? My wife has Celiac, but she has found that she doesn't have reactions to Soy Sauce (not Tamari) that is naturally brewed. From my reading it appears that many don't, the gluten is supposedly naturally removed this way. Luckily this is most Soy Sauces that we buy. Or did I mis-read the post and it's just Dark Soy Sauce that you are looking for?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah, you might have misread it. The tamari is fine for me, I'm just looking for a way to turn it into dark soy sauce if possible.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Here's my source: http://www.celiac.com/articles/23061/1/Is-Soy-Sauce-Gluten-free/Page1.html. If it's something you're willing to try out (I realize that's never a fun option) you may be fine with normal Soy Sauce as long as it's Naturally Fermented. And by normal Soy Sauce I mean normal Dark Soy Sauce as well.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That does look promising but I don't think I'll jump into it right away. Eating gluten won't kill me but it does exacerbate some other health problems I have. Plus I have to satisfy the weird compulsions of my family members (the MSG thing I mentioned.)
In the meantime I think I'll try http://praneesthaikitchen.com/2010/11/30/dark-soy-sauce-recipe-gluten-free-recipe/ this with a recipe off rasamalaysia.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
just use fish sauce instead (or worcestershire), packed full of Glutamates (the active ingredient in MSG) but no MSG added for those who wish to remain ignorant. No gluten either.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My girlfriend and I are making a big Chinese-style meal for 6 of our friends on Sunday. It'll be the biggest selection of dishes I've made yet:

Potstickers
Egg drop soup
Ma po tofu
Chicken stir-fried with vegetables
Chow mein

I'm looking forward to it! It should be an interesting challenge getting everything prepared on time and well-made. Luckily the tofu recipe is really fast and easy, girlfriend is doing most of the chow mein prep at home, egg drop soup is easy, and I'll be filling the potstickers the night before.

In related news, I got two huge Chinese cookbooks for Christmas.

The Complete Chinese Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Chinese-Cookbook-Authentic/dp/0896731502/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389237668&sr=8-3

The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/The-Thousand-Recipe-Chinese-Cookbook/dp/0671509934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389237682&sr=8-1

Both seem pretty good. We used the ma po tofu recipe from The Complete Chinese Cookbook and it turned out very tasty.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anybody have any suggestions for food to make for the Spring Festival? I've got the firecrackers and the hongbaos, but no idea about the food.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Jiaozi. Lots and lots of jiaozi. It's the CNY food sans pareil. Also fish, and dishes with rice cake (nian gao), either the sweet baked Southern variety or the plain white variety, for example stir fried with Napa cabbage and pork like in Shanghai (chao nian gao) or in sweet mung or azuki bean soups.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are there any special Henan ones for new year? Or Hubei.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 9, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Red Braised Pork

This is a classic dish from Hunan Province, sometimes called "Chairman Mao's Red Braised Pork" for supposedly being his favorite dish. My mom used to make this with short ribs, though classically it is made with belly, I believe. This is a recipe based on one in Fuschia Dunlop's Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, I don't think hers is spicy enough, so I add more chilies, also I like the taste of a bit of dark soy added during my braise.

Ingredients:
1 lb pork belly, you can also use spareribs or shoulder
2 tbsp neutral oil
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp dark soy
1" piece fresh ginger, rough sliced
1 star anise
2 dried thai bird chilies (or more to taste, I use 4-5)
1.5" piece of cinnamon stick
light soy sauce, salt, and sugar
1 scallion, minced

Blanch pork in rapidly boiling water for about 5 min, remove and cool. Cut into bite size pieces. Heat oil in wok, add sugar, stir and caramelize until brown. Add pork, wine, soy, ginger, star anise, red chilies, cinnamon, and enough water to barely cover pork. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover wok/pot and braise on low until tender (about 1.5-2 hrs). When tender, remove cover, turn heat up, and reduce liquid to a slightly viscous sauce. Should be able to slightly glaze the pork. Taste for salt and sugar. Top with minced scallions and serve.

Variations: You can add fried water chestnuts, whole roasted garlic (the picture has this), fried tofu, or bean curd skin to the last segment of cooking.

I wanted to braise short ribs tonight but this sounds much better. I have everything in my pantry already except Shaoxing wine. Can I substitute it with any of the following? I have: red and white vinegars, bourbon, and an unopened bottle pinot noir. It's only 1 tablespoon so I'm hoping it won't make much of a difference. I'm hoping not pinot noir cause I don't wanna cork it for 1 tbsp.

e: Nevermind, didn't realize the wine was only like $1.50 so I bought a bottle.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 10, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there any special Henan ones for new year? Or Hubei.

Hubei I know is reknown for spring onion braised bream, cong shao wuchang yu (葱烧武昌鱼), I would be quite surprised if this wasn't on a good deal of tables throughout Hubei for CNY. Henan is more like Jiangsu - lighter less spicy fare.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Coldwar timewarp posted:

In my experience there's also a difference between Taiwan-styled black vinegar and China-styled black vinegar. Taiwan-styled black vinegar, such as the Kong Yen branded black vinegar, is pretty mild and smells kind of like Worcestershire sauce. China-styled black vinegar, like the Gold Plum brand, is much more pungent.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I personally like Gold Plum black vinegar, but it really depends on what you're using it for. If you're using it for things like jiaozi, xiao long bao, or mushroom/fungi/tofu/vegetable stir fry definitely recommend Gold Plum. Like gret said above, the smell is pretty pungent but don't let it detract you from tasting it because it's delicious. There's another brand that uses an orange cap (I can't remember the name) but I find it not as tasty as Gold Plum. My parents sometimes substitute red vinegar for black, but like I mentioned it really depends on what you're using it for.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Speaking of xiaolongbau, does anybody know of any pre-prepared brands worth having in the US market? I'm not looking for anything fancy, I buy some loving dirty frozen jiaozi. But in my experience frozen xlb tastes like dogfood. Again, I'm not looking for anything fancy, but when "dogfood" can overwhelm "black vinegar" there is a problem. I know of a great local place where I can grab some, but that doesn't help me when I'm hungover in the morning. Any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just get mine from local Chinese restaurants that take their regular xlb and freeze them for takeout, but I'm in Los Angeles and we have some good xlb options. Sometimes the freezing/thawing process shreds some of the skins but that's the price you pay for authentically thin skins.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dragon bun pro tip. Dip your chopsticks in vinegar before you pick the bun. That way the skin won't tears off as easily.

I just found out that there's your sichuan hotpot called hai di lao in LA near arcadia. It's one of the better serviced chains in China. Unfortunately, the us branch doesn't allow you to have a manicure when you wait in line and it closes too early.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to make the red braised pork tomorrow using ribs and was wondering if someone can recommend a vegetable side dish that is fairly easy and doesn't require anything I'm unlikely to find at the supermarket. It will only be for 2 people if that helps

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone have a good recipe for gan guo ji za or gan guo shou si ji? I can't seem to find any.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sjurygg posted:

Hubei I know is reknown for spring onion braised bream, cong shao wuchang yu (葱烧武昌鱼), I would be quite surprised if this wasn't on a good deal of tables throughout Hubei for CNY. Henan is more like Jiangsu - lighter less spicy fare.

Is this Engrish mess what you mean? http://about-chinesefood.com/cookbook/bream-fish-in-brown-sauce-%28wuchang%29-207/ It's the only result I'm getting when I look. I am not sure what the gently caress. This also came up: http://www.nishbakes.com/2012/03/daring-cooks-march-2012-braised-sea.html The second one looks a whole lot more appetizing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to make the red braised pork tomorrow using ribs and was wondering if someone can recommend a vegetable side dish that is fairly easy and doesn't require anything I'm unlikely to find at the supermarket. It will only be for 2 people if that helps

I made the same thing last night and accompanied it with baby bok choy. Cut off the hard stem, wash and dry. Minced some ginger and garlic and sizzled it in oil for a bit, in with the bok choy, some water and soy sauce, covered for a few minutes and good to go. Takes like 5 minutes so do it when you're done cooking the pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Laocius posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for gan guo ji za or gan guo shou si ji? I can't seem to find any.

All ganguo stuff are pretty much the same in terms of how they are prepared, it's only really a difference in how you season it and what ingredients you use. In Sichuan, where ganguo is quite popular, there are actually a ton of restaurants where you just got through choosing what veggies/meat/tofu/etc you want in your ganguo, they charge you by weight, and then a ganguo dish is served to you in a giant cast iron pot..

That said, here's a pretty basic recipe for ganguo jiza. It's in Chinese, but has pictures every step of the way and shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Either way I'm procrastinating so I'll translate for you:

http://home.meishichina.com/recipe-19132.html

1. Prepare your chicken offal, veggies (this recipe uses carrots and green bamboo which is common in Chongqing/Sichuan, but feel free to mix it up.), and garlic shoots.

2. Wash and chop up your chicken offal and veggies. They use some fancy crinkle cut in this recipe, I normally use more boring cuts.

3. Boil some water and blanche the green bamboo and carrots. If you want to use less tough veggies (carrots and green bamboo are pretty fibrous) you can skip this for them.

4. Start marinating your chicken in some cooking wine, light soy sauce, sugar, pepper and corn starch. You can feel free to use whatever marinade you want here, I'd personally add some sesame oil to this one.

5. ***Probably the most important step for true gan guo*** Seasonings. This recipe calls for: "蒜苗切段,葱姜蒜,辣椒,泡椒,泡姜,郫县豆瓣和火锅底料全"。Garlic shoots, green onions, garlic, ginger, dried chilies, brined spicy peppers, dou chi/fermented bean paste, hot pot stock/bullion.

It also calls for "pao jiang 泡姜" which is some weird kind of brined ginger (not exactly pickled ginger) that I think only exists in Sichuan. Feel free to skip that if you can't find it. Also feel free to add other stuff you think you might like. Star anise is something that I see in a lot of ganguos out here.

6. Add oil to your wok and quickly stir fry the veggies, when they're done remove them.

7. Fry up your chicken, remove that when it's done. These are essentially done now, put them in the gan guo you're going to serve the dish in.

8. Clean your wok, add a small amount of oil and add in your garlic, ginger, green onions, dried chilies and brined peppers.

9. Once those are fragrant, add in your fermented bean paste and hot pot stock/bullion. This should produce the red, flavourful oil that gan guo is known for.

10. Add the chicken back in and mix it all up.

11. Add in a little soy sauce and sugar, stir fry a bit more.

12. Mix in your garlic shoots.

13. Season it a bit. This recipe recommends salt, sesame oil and some chicken power/stock. Feel free to add what you want. Stir fry for a second then put it with your veggies.

14. This isn't there, but gan guo is usually served in a metal dish above a small fire which continues to cook it after it's left the wok. You should mix the veggies and meat here and let it simmer a bit while you eat it. You can alternatively just mix them up in a big metal pot, give it a go on your stove then serve the dish right out of there.

Most gan guo is done in pretty much this way, you can fool with what veggies/meat/seasoning you use and get what you like most. For reference, in Sichuan most restaurants ask you what kind of seasoning you want (ranging from "not spicy" to "very spicy" usually), so there's not a lot of right or wrong here.