Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
"newness" isn't always important, especially in PC gaming where older games can have conflicts with new OS. (And yet sometimes they don't, making it even more confusing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Slightly off topic, but there's no convenient Fallout 3 thread (no surprise). I decided that after ragging on FO3 a lot, I haven't really given it another try recently, so I just reinstalled. I'm getting a weird thing where, no matter where I start, the game hangs after about 2 minutes of play. I just made some upgrades to my computer, so I'm not sure if it's that or if it's not having up to date drivers. Anyone else experienced something along these lines?

Sounds like an UAC issue. Is Steam installed to program files?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Horns posted:

Sounds like an UAC issue. Is Steam installed to program files?

Yep, default install file.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Then that's likely the problem. FO3 really doesn't like Windows 7/Vista User Account Control. Hell, I couldn't even get to character creation when I had Steam installed to the default location on my old Win7 laptop.

You've got two options: You can either turn off UAC, which you shouldn't do (and it may not work anyway). Or, move Steam outside of program files. So it's actually just one option. It's a pretty painless procedure, though. Just follow this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

habanero walrus posted:

I actually really like MO and have been able to use it just fine. The only problem is that it makes installing UI mods a huge pain. I ended up installing them all through NMM, running uHUD, grabbing the files generated by uHUD, zipping them up, and installing them as a mod in MO. Sane people would probably just leave them installed through NMM, but I really wanted to keep my install folder clean for some autistic reason.

EDIT: That being said, if you know an easier way to do this through MO, let me know! The problem is that the uHUD fomod doesn't see the other mods in the data directory because of MO so it can't generate the files based on what you have installed. You have to do the same thing with Project Nevada Extra Options because the fomod won't let you install one of the modules (I don't remember which) if it doesn't see one of the regular PN modules.

While NMM won't run from MO, FOMM will. So add a launcher to MO for FOMM and activate/deactivate uHUD from there. This works fine.

FOMM runs from MO because it's 32-bit - MO can't handle 64-bit programs. I posted a bug report on the Nexus requesting we be allowed to install NMM 32-bit, but that seems to have gone into the ether.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mage Ham posted:

Is there anything I'm leaving out that would be considered obligatory and/or highly recommended? I want overall improvements without too complex a load-order, whence the current minimalist approach.

Absolutely use CASM for save game convenience and consider using both the Stutter Remover and NVAC extensions for NVSE. Aside from that, it's all a matter of taste, CCO and Project Nevada are both pretty good and play well together, and they also have compatibility patches with jsawyer (well, CCO has, don't remember if Nevada Rebalance had one too), but they might make the game too fidgety for your tastes. Those are the only mods I'd think of as "essential/universally recommended".

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Absolutely use CASM for save game convenience and consider using both the Stutter Remover and NVAC extensions for NVSE. Aside from that, it's all a matter of taste, CCO and Project Nevada are both pretty good and play well together, and they also have compatibility patches with jsawyer (well, CCO has, don't remember if Nevada Rebalance had one too), but they might make the game too fidgety for your tastes. Those are the only mods I'd think of as "essential/universally recommended".

Good catch! Somehow I missed CASM in the OP, that looks incredibly useful.
I'll probably go with one overhaul at a time and wait on the anti-stuttering mods until I find out if I experience any stuttering/crashes.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Mage Ham posted:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice re: MO/FOMM/etc.- it turned out the problem is that I'm an idiot and hadn't actually run the launcher first. After that, worked like a charm.

Since OneHUD is the only mod on my list I wasn't able to painlessly install via MO (it gives a script error), let me make sure I understand the procedure here:
1. Install HUD mod via means other than MO.
2. Start game, configure mod via in-game menu(?).
3. Find resultant files in Data folder(?), copy, create archive, install as mod via MO.
Am I leaving anything out? And does this work for OneHUD as well as uHUD?

Also: I'm running a pretty minimal set of mods:
Fellout, Project Reality, a Texture Pack, Character Overhaul, and Flora Overhaul for graphics.
Project Nevada, Universal Perk Requirements, OneHUD, and LPAM for content.

Is there anything I'm leaving out that would be considered obligatory and/or highly recommended? I want overall improvements without too complex a load-order, whence the current minimalist approach.

The procedure I was talking about was for using OneHUD's ability to combine UI mods so they play nice together. Out of your list, the only mod you have that adds anything to the UI is Project Nevada, so it should be relatively painless to do the OneHUD. Just install Project Nevada, then OneHUD, then zip up the files added by OneHUD (this is going to be everything in /Data/menu, so just zip up the menu folder) and add them as a mod to Mod Organizer. Then just delete the installed files from NMM/FOMM.

Since you asked for mods and we're talking about UI stuff, I would definitely recommend you pick up Darnified UI. It basically just makes the UI a bit more pc-friendly by fitting more stuff in the menus. I think it's basically essential. (If you do this, you'll need to add it to the whole OneHUD thing.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ok, so I'm actually quite liking Niner as a companion. He seems to be rather melee focused, so I gave him a sledgehammer and he's wrecking stuff with it.

One of his first quests involved him stealing some NCR uniforms, and playing a prank on the Mojave Outpost. Him bullshitting his way past is quite fun. He seems to keep a kevlar vest afterwards, which is a nice touch.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The only problem with Niner is that his personal quest is being built in stages and as far as I know it isn't finished finished yet. The bits that are there all work really well though, it just seems like there's going to be a LOT more of them eventually.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, that does seem to be a problem. Pretty much everything in there already is very good, though.

It's quite nice to have a companion that is seemingly all about getting hosed up on drugs and having a good time, though. Plus with the FCO plugin he looks pretty drat good, too.

Anyway, I'd like to throw out a recommendation for a "weather mod". It's pretty much what Fellout NV intended to do, but is very lightweight and as far as I can tell it actually applies to the DLCs aswell:

FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting

It basically removes the filters various things have, making the day very vibrant and bright but the nights quite nice looking (I'd probably say this mod has the best looking night light settings I've seen - not so dark it becomes unplayable, but dark enough to add a sense of danger)

It also has a plugin that re-enables the "green filter" for stylistic reasons around certain areas, notably Searchlight and the Lonesome Road areas.

I think I actually prefer this to Fellout/NS/Project Reality as it does exactly what it intends to do, doesn't add in huge amounts of unnecessary stuff and is very, very performance friendly and doesn't deviate hugely from the vanilla game.

Mojave Nights is also a good pairing with this, as it just updates the star/moon textures to be prettier.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009

Mage Ham posted:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice re: MO/FOMM/etc.- it turned out the problem is that I'm an idiot and hadn't actually run the launcher first. After that, worked like a charm.

Since OneHUD is the only mod on my list I wasn't able to painlessly install via MO (it gives a script error), let me make sure I understand the procedure here:
1. Install HUD mod via means other than MO.
2. Start game, configure mod via in-game menu(?).
3. Find resultant files in Data folder(?), copy, create archive, install as mod via MO.
Am I leaving anything out? And does this work for OneHUD as well as uHUD?

Also: I'm running a pretty minimal set of mods:
Fellout, Project Reality, a Texture Pack, Character Overhaul, and Flora Overhaul for graphics.
Project Nevada, Universal Perk Requirements, OneHUD, and LPAM for content.

D'ya like music? Blues Radio New Vegas and of course CONELRAD add some fitting tunes. If you're switching stations a lot, I'd recommend Radio Hotkey.

Sprint Mod lets you sprint, using your AP as fuel. It's pretty neat, especially if you're not keen on fast-travel. Easily configurable via The Mod Configuration Menu. Feels like a natural addition to the game.

MTUI is a lightweight alternative to Darnified. Basically makes the text a bit smaller and some menus bigger.

If you're into survival, the Portable Campsite is very, very useful. Keep in mind that the maker's made sure you can't use it indoors.

If you're looking for a player-home that's not some bombastic mansion, torture dungeon or a fortified bunker, you can't go wrong with Novac Motel - The Couriers Room. I really like it - it's very appropriate for FONV. There's a poster on the wall which you're supposed to be able to change the art for. Doesn't work for me, though.

My favorite mod of all time: Faster Pipboy Faster. Makes pulling up the Pipboy 4 times faster oh thank god thank you

Other than mods, the New Vegas Configurator will help you set up the important bits in your .INI files - like your FOV for instance.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also worth noting, if you're getting Conelrad the latest update completely removes the host. I guess because she said a few specific things for the DC area, but they could have just removed those references or cut them out without removing the entire host.

I feel it loses quite a lot without her.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Fallout 3 will always crash after short bursts of time if you run it on a computer who's CPU has more than 2 cores, which is probably what's causing your problem. I'm on my phone at the moment but look up "fallout 3 multicore fix" to resolve it, it's a quick .ini edit.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
So I assume there's no short way to get BOSS to recognize unrecognized plugins? I'm fairly surprised at what it's not recognizing, especially the really common stuff like parts of Western Skies.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

So I assume there's no short way to get BOSS to recognize unrecognized plugins? I'm fairly surprised at what it's not recognizing, especially the really common stuff like parts of Western Skies.

You can define user rules in the GUI to make it sort plugins that it normally doesn't recognize.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You can define user rules in the GUI to make it sort plugins that it normally doesn't recognize.
These are manual though, right? In that case, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to knowing the why and how of what mods should go before what.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I read on ModDB that they're cutting the third installment of Project Brazil out due to some issues with the lore, and are going to tie everything up in the second. I'm actually pretty excited for when this project is complete, since it shows quite a lot of effort. I've actually put off playing the first installment because I was waiting for the whole thing to be completed. It doesn't really seem that far away now.

From the site

Project Brazil's page on ModDB on December 15th posted:

We've begun our mass dialogue and quest overhaul, ensuring all of our design documents are fully implemented in GECK and ready to script. As part of this, we've also taken a hard look at our plot, our characters, and our overall direction, and decided on some important changes. The first of which is to cut out the Third Instalment, and instead focus on making the Second Instalment the best it can be.

This is actually great news for fans of F: PB. While we are cutting out the LA Worldspace, we're doing it because we don't need it. The story can be totally self-contained in the San Bernardino Cajon Pass and surrounding areas. As much as I love ruined urban environments, it's superfluous to the core of the story we're trying to tell out on the frontier of civilization.

If this were a 31M$ production, I'd totally have everything from as far as Palm Springs to Santa Monica Pier explorable and scripted, but our story focuses on one event: The origin of the player, the fall of the last squadron of West Coast Enclave, and the lead up to events in New Vegas & Honest Hearts's lore years later, stemming from these quests.

Countless people have pointed out that the NCR has been in control of LA, The Angel's Boneyard, for 71 years as of 2260. It "couldn't be in ruins, because they're too advanced," they say. The reason downtown Santa Monica is burning in our intro video, is because it gets nuked as part of the lead up to the war with the Survivalist Raiders in San Bernardino. The rest of LA is fine. They recover, but with massive economic ramifications, leading to the Mojave invasion in our credits roll.

In a revanchist war with the LA Mob Bosses, the Survivalists were attempting to ensure the longevity of their holdout by crippling the capital of the Core Region. The Mob would attempt to seize power in LA from Congress, and the Raiders would be free to remain isolated in anarchy as the chaos overtakes the NCR - a Chaos incited by President Eden in a last "screw you" from the Enclave before switching all their attention to the East (Fallout 3.) Colonel Bragg was supposed to finish operations there and leave, but got "distracted," namely by you and Vault 18's Wasteland Scouts.

We assume the NCR has stuck to the coast, and most of their power is along that zone of influence. After you get near San Bernardino, it's basically post-nuclear sand dunes from there all the way out to Arizona, kind of like in real life, just worse. There's nothing out there, so there's no reason to expand that way. Union City is the last territorial HQ before the wasteland turns into the Dune Sea, which incidentally makes a great insulator for Caesar's Legion to take over everything from Flagstaff to Tucson with nobody in the NCR being the wiser.

The Fallout New Vegas Lore states that getting to the Hoover Dam was a HUGE milestone in NCR exploration, a landmark event in their history, even though it's a 4 hour drive up I-15 from LA. That's why we set F: PB in the Cajon Pass along I-15, between Mt. Baldy and the Big Bear National Forest. It was, in 2253- 2260, a significant geographic and political roadblock. Athens-Tec is where the Vipers, Jackals, and misc. Raiders fled, along with the failed Shi Resistance and Tribes that refused to be "pacified." That is why they are called "Survivalist Raiders."

The lore educated fans that read our designs hated the Third Installment. It's not that I'm caving to the extreme sticklers, but they made a very valid point. No one complained about the lack of more sci-fi elements in the story, but many maligned those that were too far outside of tradition already, like Aliens in Mothership Zeta. I didn't like that either, so I'm listening to sound reason from hardcore Fallout fans, something everyone can agree is a good thing.

Now, we can ensure that the player has two entirely different Main Quest Paths to follow, and a third if they find it. Plus, we have Enclave-player side quests for each of the 5 Main Quests (5 for each of 2 branches,) and several for those that joined Vault Security and the Wasteland Scouts. We can sum up the Lore Friendly endings to all Three Main Quests in one worldspace, and just focus on making sure the player has more ways to accomplish objectives based on their stats and decisions, rather than drag out the story to accommodate extra fluff and combat.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Say, there doesn't happen to be a mod that lets me toggle stuff from hardcore mode on/off through MCM or something does there? (and maybe tweak some elements?) I really like the idea of having to heal limbs with doctor bags/an actual doctor and worry about staying hydrated, but stuff like companions being able to die permanently sounds like a recipe for massive frustration.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

Say, there doesn't happen to be a mod that lets me toggle stuff from hardcore mode on/off through MCM or something does there?
I'm not aware of a mod that does gives you a MCM menu to tweak aspects of hardcore, but there should be mods that switch companions in hardcore to essential on the nexus and stuff like that is also pretty simple to make yourself.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ernie Muppari posted:

Say, there doesn't happen to be a mod that lets me toggle stuff from hardcore mode on/off through MCM or something does there? (and maybe tweak some elements?) I really like the idea of having to heal limbs with doctor bags/an actual doctor and worry about staying hydrated, but stuff like companions being able to die permanently sounds like a recipe for massive frustration.

I think this one works for that:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39157/

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Has anyone else had problems with Lombard Station becoming increasingly unstable? More than half the time I try to enter, especially if I've been playing for a while, the game crashes to desktop. It got so bad that I had to revert to an earlier save and lost some play time. The only thing I can think that's doing it is some of the extra weapon mods I have.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Lombard Station becoming increasingly unstable? More than half the time I try to enter, especially if I've been playing for a while, the game crashes to desktop. It got so bad that I had to revert to an earlier save and lost some play time. The only thing I can think that's doing it is some of the extra weapon mods I have.

No problem with instability, but after 35 hours with this modded playthrough I still can't find where it's supposed to be. :downs:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

No problem with instability, but after 35 hours with this modded playthrough I still can't find where it's supposed to be. :downs:
Have you been to Jean Sky Diving and picked up the holotape and key from the NCR trooper there?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Have you been to Jean Sky Diving and picked up the holotape and key from the NCR trooper there?

No, I completely missed those. It looks like the corpse fell underground in my game and only the helmet and the holotape were visible, which is why I didn't notice before I guess.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

These are manual though, right? In that case, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to knowing the why and how of what mods should go before what.

BOSS Userlist Manager will manage the override file for you (the file is called userlist.txt). This works across all the BOSS-supported games, so just download and use the Skyrim version for both FO games.

You can apply it one of 4 operations to a mod: place it BEFORE/AFTER another mod, or place it at the TOP/BOTTOM of a group. That's enough to let you place the mod where you want it in your load order. You can also OVERRIDE a mod that's already being sorted by the masterlist and move it using the above rules.

^^^^ I had to console myself the key to Lombard the last time since it was nowhere to be found in that shack, though the dead soldier was there alright.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 6, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is there any mods that add in cold turkey chem withdrawal like in the original fallouts?

As in, your withdrawal effects start off pretty bad but get less worse the longer you go without the drug until you eventually kick the habit?

If not, how difficult would it be to make one?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm normally not a huge fan of ENBs, but man, I'd like to reiterate that URLWNV combined with its own ENB looks really good:

And for the goons who were concerned about the Fallout Character Overhaul faces because of squinty Hanlon.. sorry? And here's a couple of screenshots to showcase the modder's work. Here and there it's a bit lazy or strays too far from vanilla's characterization, but overhaul it's pretty good (though you probably would want to couple with New Vegas Redesigned for the faces he doesn't touch up):

P.S. : Yeah, Benny is very far removed from vanilla, but I'll take this over potato-face.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'll try that ENB out, it looks great.

The character overhaul, not so much.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Having a proper ENB preset seemed to improve the FCO faces a lot, although Melissa still has purple-face.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Are you sure you've got that installed right? The faces look way, way too chunky compared to what they should look like. Here's Cass vanilla vs FCO's version:

It's a rather subtle improvement (I'm using a different body for Spice of Life so the neck seams are really hosed up on Cass, most others are fine)

A few characters are off but I definitely think it's a massive improvement over virtually every other face mod out there, and way better than vanilla.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pretty sure they're installed right considering I used the FOMOD installer for the mod and it's just an esm, two esps and some mesh and texture data, so there's not much to screw up :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:stare:

The Uncanny Valley is punching me in the face.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Cass looks a little weird. It's still very much a work in progress and the author already said that Cass is being redone.

Veronica looks way, way better but I don't have a screenshot at hand.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Is there any mods that add in cold turkey chem withdrawal like in the original fallouts?
As in, your withdrawal effects start off pretty bad but get less worse the longer you go without the drug until you eventually kick the habit?
If not, how difficult would it be to make one?
You could create a simple questscript that checks if you have a withdrawal spell on your character, starts a timer if you do and removes the withdrawal spell after a certain ammount of time. The withdrawal spell having different effects as time goes by can be done by adding new effects to the withdrawal spells with conditions that are controlled by the aforementioned timer.

All that would be pretty simple to do. However there are aspects to the addiction system that are hardcoded if I recall right, so you'd have to check if any of that works.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
For the FalloutNV 4gb NVSE thing, I keep getting an error:

The instruction at 0x0f8557e7 referenced memory at 0x0f8557e7. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Any idea wtf? On Win 8.1, but I'm using the win8 compatible one from the OP.

Edit: setting it to win7 compatability mode now changes the error to Application load error. Still not seeing it output a log anywhere either.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 8, 2014

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
So just when I bitch about not having a FOMOD script despite having the FOMOD artwork already done...

Just a taste, I suppose. Thanks entirely to a random volunteer steered to me by the guy who has been doing the icons for Mill's weapons.

With this, I now have at least some motivation to finish off the last niggling details and... sigh... force myself through the leveled lists esp as much as I really, really, really, really, really don't want to. And may yet still won't, hah.

Oh, and add the 3 or 4 new unreleased weapons in too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cass looked fine in the base game. She's the one I'd tweak the least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there a UI mod that just skips the PipBoy altogether in favor of just drawing the menu directly on the screen like SkyUI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think that's even possible in the Fallout 3/New Vegas engine.