Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

How did you go about wiping the drive in the ultrabay?
Just took it out and put it in my desktop's dock real quick, to stop the laptop from trying to boot off it over and over.

P.N.T.M. posted:

That definitely sounds like you still have a hidden partition fiddling with boot.
You were right, I don't know what happened since the last time I played with it, I had a bootable SSD and bootable spinner, and it basically wouldn't start from the SSD if the spinner was attached. I went back into bios and disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot devices (this way shows the two drives separately just to be safe, I'm guessing I didn't reformat the 1TB drive as GPT but don't remember for sure) and it looks like it really is giving me that error screen when trying to start from the SSD. Not sure what could've possibly happened between then and now but this is kind of silly, I have the stock image saved on my desktop but I'm just going to do a clean install I guess.

I do remember that it was just hibernated/did that stupid fake windows 8 shutdown the last time I turned it off - I took the spinner out, formatted it, put it back in, "started" the laptop (though it wasn't really off) and it worked fine but was showing two LENOVO partitions and other silliness from the state it was in pre-hibnernation, so I restarted and that's when it stopped working, maybe something got hosed up then.

Straker fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Straker posted:

Just took it out and put it in my desktop's dock real quick, to stop the laptop from trying to boot off it over and over.

Yes, but how did you wipe it? Windows 7+ doesn't like deleting other Windows 7+ system partitions, so if you deleted a bunch of the partitions in Windows then chances are good that something got left behind and your laptop is still trying to boot off of what was left behind. If you deleted all of the partitions in Linux (with something like gParted) or using your Windows Install CD/USB, that would do the trick.

e: It sounds like you just reformatted the biggest partition on the drive, in which case you definitely didn't get everything. If you boot up with your Windows Install CD/USB and then delete all of the partitions on the drive then your laptop will stop trying to boot off of it

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I know Windows doesn't like deleting recovery partitions etc, I used diskpart to forcibly remove everything, but like I said in the second part of that post, it actually was trying to start off the SSD after all, the SSD install just got broken at some point somehow.

:sigh: Why does Windows 8 want a product key now? this is standard x64, not pro or anything, it shouldn't be asking...

edit: fixed, but having to modify the iso to skip activation during install is loving stupid

edit 2: this is nice and clean and fast as gently caress, I wish I'd just done this from the start even though windows was behaving stupider than ever

no dice, windows is still being stupid, now I want to reinstall again to tweak something in case it just didn't like that ei.cfg, but I don't see any way to select a specific boot device, even if I put a flash drive at highest priority it'll boot from the SSD since there's a usable copy of windows on it, am I really going to have to take this loving thing out to format it? :raise:

edit 3: think I got it, hopefully the issue is just that windows 8 doesn't like my 8.1 key

Straker fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My buddy is looking for a barebones laptop. He would use it mostly for coding (he makes browser based games) and maybe some indie gaming (starbound is likely the most intense thing he will run). I had to talk him down from a 300 dollar office max special, so some help would be appreciated. The laptop will probably never leave his house, so battery life isn't a concern. I doubt he'd spend much more than 600 to 650.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If he's doing coding then he'll likely want something in the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 range for more vertical pixels. If he's not doing artwork then any quality display will work fine.

Any ivy bridge or haswell laptop will have enough GPU to handle his indie game dreams.

Does anyone besides google make any laptop that's not 16:9 or 16:10? I think Toshiba made a 32:9 briefly for the Japanese market. The Chrome Pixel is 3:2 but that's the only non-widescreen laptop I can think of off the top of my head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If he's doing coding then he'll likely want something in the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 range for more vertical pixels. If he's not doing artwork then any quality display will work fine.

Any ivy bridge or haswell laptop will have enough GPU to handle his indie game dreams.

Does anyone besides google make any laptop that's not 16:9 or 16:10? I think Toshiba made a 32:9 briefly for the Japanese market. The Chrome Pixel is 3:2 but that's the only non-widescreen laptop I can think of off the top of my head.

Any specific recommendations?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Hadlock posted:

The T410 came out in 2010 with an i5, it's 3.5 years old at this point and with an SSD is going to be a very versatile machine for another 2-3 years. You can pick one up refurbished from Newegg for $300

What's the screen resolution on this? Seems like a great deal for a backup laptop for school.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

im gay posted:

What's the screen resolution on this? Seems like a great deal for a backup laptop for school.

It's either 1280x800 or 1440x900.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Panasonic and Getac still sell 4:3 rugged notebooks, with 1024x768. The Vaio P was 1600x768. Toshiba had a 21:9 Satellite, I saw one at Fry's. The 1024x600 netbooks are almost a thing of the past thanks to Windows 8, they're 17.07:10.

Edit: Also the OLPC.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 7, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shrughes posted:

Toshiba had a 21:9 Satellite, I saw one at Fry's.

Those things are so stupid. I want one really bad.

(on the right)

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I'm going to sell my gigantic Asus G74SX while it's still got some resale value. Now I'm traveling regularly and that G74 is painful to take on flights. Hindsight is a bitch.

I need something extremely portable, but still powerful. Primary use is software development but will probably be used for occasional indie games (Starbound/FTL kinda stuff).

There are a lot of options I'm seeing but I would prefer to keep it fairly cheap, as in sub-$1k. Coming with a no-OS option would be awesome too.

My requirements:
- Intel, preferably Haswell i5 though Ivy Bridge isn't out of the question
- 1920x1080 or higher resolution.
- 12-14". (13 seems like the sweet spot)
- 4 or 8GB RAM
- 128GB+ storage, can be SSD or mechanical HDD

Am I just dreaming that I can grab all this under a grand?

There's a 13.3" Clevo W230ST on Mythologic that looks non-awful but comes in a bit over a grand.

The 13" Retina MBP also looks amazing and would be great for work/travel/etc but at $1300-1500 it's way over budget.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 7, 2014

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

My grandma needs a laptop and I don't know a thing about them. She will just be using it for browsing - with maybe some streaming video and website design. I image she's looking for something with a good amount of longevity. She is willing to spend around $400 - which according to the OP is right in the rip off zone. Should I recommend that she spend more or less money?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shymog posted:

I'm going to sell my gigantic Asus G74SX while it's still got some resale value. Now I'm traveling regularly and that G74 is painful to take on flights. Hindsight is a bitch.

I need something extremely portable, but still powerful. Primary use is software development but will probably be used for occasional indie games (Starbound/FTL kinda stuff).

There are a lot of options I'm seeing but I would prefer to keep it fairly cheap, as in sub-$1k. Coming with a no-OS option would be awesome too.

My requirements:
- 4 or 8GB RAM

There's a 13.3" Clevo W230ST on Mythologic that looks non-awful but comes in a bit over a grand.

The 13" Retina MBP also looks amazing and would be great for work/travel/etc but at $1300-1500 it's way over budget.

Get the yoga2 using the barnes and noble link in the OP. It's a really good laptop even if you never use the tablet functionality.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Any specific recommendations?

Not particularly. If it's not going to leave the house he should be able to find a Lenovo with a decent screen in the $500-600 range. Most $500 laptops with a 1600x900 screen are going to perform about the same, and will all see the same performance boost with a 256gb SSD (or whatever he can budget for). Ivy Bridge and Haswell laptops all perform about the same at the i3/i5/i7 level unless you are compiling huge chunks of code. Even then they will be stupid fast for 99% of all other tasks when he's not compiling code.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Get the yoga2 using the barnes and noble link in the OP. It's a really good laptop even if you never use the tablet functionality.

That resolution :stare:

What are the chances that Lenovo is going to update that with "Iris Pro" graphics or whatever soon? $1129 for 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD with a Haswell i5 makes it pretty damned tempting, though it's pushing my budget a bit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shymog posted:

That resolution :stare:

What are the chances that Lenovo is going to update that with "Iris Pro" graphics or whatever soon? $1129 for 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD with a Haswell i5 makes it pretty damned tempting, though it's pushing my budget a bit.

99.9% sure it won't be updated until Broadwell comes out and most likely not with Broadwell's version of the 5200.

Is that price using the link in the OP? Even if so, that's a pretty great laptop for much less than most ultrabooks.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Omelette du Fromage posted:

99.9% sure it won't be updated until Broadwell comes out and most likely not with Broadwell's version of the 5200.

Is that price using the link in the OP? Even if so, that's a pretty great laptop for much less than most ultrabooks.

Probably the graphics are a non issue. Looks pretty solid and definitely better specs/price/size from what I've seen.

Yeah, the price is using that link. Looks like $70 off ($1199 from the normal site).

Now I just need to flip the Asus G74SX. It's a great laptop but holy crap it's only useful as a "slightly portable desktop replacement" and nothing else.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shymog posted:

Probably the graphics are a non issue. Looks pretty solid and definitely better specs/price/size from what I've seen.

Yeah, the price is using that link. Looks like $70 off ($1199 from the normal site).

Now I just need to flip the Asus G74SX. It's a great laptop but holy crap it's only useful as a "slightly portable desktop replacement" and nothing else.

What would you be looking to get for it?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

KillHour posted:

What would you be looking to get for it?

I was weighing in on it looking at eBay sell prices for it.

I was thinking $750+shipping costs.

It comes with this case in drat-near perfect shape (because almost nothing else on the market fits it): http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Blacktop-Protection-Designed-CPT401DUS/dp/B000X2RNO6/

It's not the inferior Best Buy model, so it has a full 3GB of VRAM. No visible signs of damage on the body other than some very minor edge scuffing. Screen is excellent with no dead or stuck pixels.

Has an i7-2630, 16GB RAM, a 750GB WD Scorpio Black drive and a DVDRW drive in the multibay. It also has Win7 Pro legit, key on the bottom and all. It also has the bracket and connector for a second drive. It'll even arrive in the original box hooray.

I'll end my derail here, PM or email psdarkforce at gmail dort com if you wanna talk more so we don't poop up the thread.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Straker posted:

So I set up my y410p the other day but didn't really use it very much. Motherfuck, why didn't anyone say it will boot only from the ultrabay if you have two hard drives in it, and why can't you change it? So loving weird. I guess it makes sense that the ultrabay would have priority, since that's where a CD/DVD would be, but if you put an SSD in the drive bay, it'll keep trying to start off the factory drive (in the ultrabay) even if you wipe it. I don't really feel like opening it up to swap where the drives are :argh: and the SSD is definitely bootable, if I take the original drive out entirely it'll still boot off the new SSD just fine.

I'm ordering this same laptop but probably won't get the SSD at the same time, although my goal in the recent future will be to do what you did and move the 1TB over to the Ultrabay and install a 250GB SSD in the main bay. I want to obviously put the OS on it as well as games/software, but is there a way to easily clone over everything on the 1TB to the SSD?

2nd question: Does it actually even matter if I swap them in the first place? What is the disadvantage of just adding the SSD to the ultrabay and still using it for the OS/gaming?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Like a desktop computer, laptops refer to their internal connections in a hierarchical list. The main bay is the first connection on that list. It is entirely possible to set up your computer to boot from a not-first location on that list, but if you want to save yourself a headache, follow these directions:

1. Download and Install Macrium Reflect Free
  2. Install the SSD into the Ultrabay
  3. Using Macrium Reflect, clone the existing partitions of your HDD onto the SSD*
  4. Turn off your computer and switch the placement of the drives
  5. Enter the BIOS and force your computer to boot from the SSD. Don't rely on the boot order, just manually select the SSD.
  6. Follow the directions in this link. It isn't complicated at all. Just make sure you use the Disk # of your 1TB HDD, not your 250GB SSD. Use the "clean" command, not "clean all."

*You will have to re-size the main partition. This is as easy as click-dragging the edges of the partition. There are only two mandatory partitions that must be cloned onto the SSD: the 100MB system partition, and the large Windows partition. Any additional partitions are probably assorted Lenovo drivers, and can be ignored if you prefer.

Once you are all done, your HDD will not be visible inside Windows Explorer. That's because it's a 1TB block of unformatted goodness. From within Windows, go to Disk Management and your big baby should show up. Format it as NTFS and enjoy.

Edit: I should say that Straker's problems appear to stem from a bad cloning. This can happen. If you are able to complete step 5, then you should be golden.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 7, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I spilled an entire glass of water on my girlfriend's cheap Cyber Monday purchase, and now I'm looking for something to replace it. I can get things in the states shipped to a post office box my family uses, so what's the best deal? One caveat - she wants something that looks nice, so a Thinkpad is out. edit: another caveat actually.. my budget is $400. I'm a little bit screwed on this one, I think.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

shymog posted:

My requirements:
- 4 or 8GB RAM

Costco has the new Thinkpad Yoga (without digitizer and pen) for under 1000 if you know anyone with a membership. They have a fantastic return policy too. Sounds like it might be ideal for your needs.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

AriTheDog posted:

Costco has the new Thinkpad Yoga (without digitizer and pen) for under 1000 if you know anyone with a membership. They have a fantastic return policy too. Sounds like it might be ideal for your needs.

The only one I see online is $1199 after savings. Is there some model I'm missing, or do they not list stuff online? The closest CostCo is 40 minutes away so it's out of my "just drive there and check it out" range. Looks like that one is only FHD, which wouldn't be an issue but the Yoga 2 Pro is not only cheaper but has a QHD+ screen.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Ah, poo poo - they stopped selling it, it was $899 for the 4/256 model. Sorry!

weziman
May 6, 2006
your good neighbor
Got an email this morning from Lenovo announcing the W540 (US) - this is how they decided to advertise it in the flyer:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/
Default web price of $1,549.00 ($1,316.65 B&N) showing a ship date of 01/20/2014, doesn't look like a terribly high amount of customization options at this time. I'm surprised by the lack of wireless card options:
Intel Single Band Wireless 7260BN with Bluetooth 4.0
ThinkPad Wireless 2 x 2 BGN with Bluetooth

Does the first card really not have 802.11g support?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
220 nit display as standard? That seems really dim...

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
That's not very dim. The 95% gamut display on previous models was, in notebookcheck.net's W530 review, 250 nit. In notebookcheck.net's W520 review, it measured at 220 nit.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The Beast appeareth!

It cometh to claim what is its rightfully to claim!

Gawk ye mighty, and question why they didn't engineer the T440p to handle a Quadro!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

weziman posted:

Does the first card really not have 802.11g support?
No, it's just an oddity of Intel's naming scheme. It supports b/g/n and BT.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

Ah, poo poo - they stopped selling it, it was $899 for the 4/256 model. Sorry!

Wait, so this model:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100086861.html

Was $899 at one point?!

Nevermind. I guess 4 extra gigs of RAM is worth a $300 premium to Costco. Strange.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Does the Lenovo T440 have any glaring problems I should know about? Thinking bout nabbing one quick before the sale ends.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Make sure you price compare the sale price vs the :siren: B&N link in the OP

Indoors
300 nits is aggressively bright
250 nits is really bright
220-230 nits is bright enough to hurt your eyes in a dim room and still notably bright
< 200 nits is pretty disappointing, enter consumer laptop space

Outdoors
230 nits is the bare minimum for summer in Texas in direct sunlight to read black text on a white background, font 11

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Le0 posted:

My girlfriend is interested in buying a macbook air. She is thinking of taking the upgraded CPU (Intel Core i5 1,3 GHz -> Intel Core i7 1,7 GHz) and going from 4Gb RAM to 8Gb.
Is the CPU upgrade worth it? Anything else to look at?

Just the RAM upgrade is fine. The i7 is the same die as an i5 with less defects. The i5 is still really good.

The TN screen is really nice, almost as nice as the IPS screen is on my X220 Thinkpad, which far and away is one of the best displays on a laptop ever.

Head on, you'll see no difference really at certain brightnesses, and while a matte screen is preferable outdoors I noticed my Thinkpad needed to still be at full brightness and the Macbook Air was pretty agreeable at low brightness. That empirical test was performed in direct sunlight.

Also, since font rendering on Win8/Linux is complete poo poo (for the time being) as well as image compositing, you're better off with the OSX laptop anyway. So while I can go on and on about how the screen is, in practice, not too shabby even if on paper it's not my first choice, I do know for a fact that you can't beat the software.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sports posted:

Just the RAM upgrade is fine. The i7 is the same die as an i5 with less defects. The i5 is still really good.

Citation needed :confused: are you saying that the i7 is just an i5 that is binned higher?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

P.N.T.M. posted:

Like a desktop computer, laptops refer to their internal connections in a hierarchical list. The main bay is the first connection on that list. It is entirely possible to set up your computer to boot from a not-first location on that list, but if you want to save yourself a headache, follow these directions:

1. Download and Install Macrium Reflect Free
  2. Install the SSD into the Ultrabay
  3. Using Macrium Reflect, clone the existing partitions of your HDD onto the SSD*
  4. Turn off your computer and switch the placement of the drives
  5. Enter the BIOS and force your computer to boot from the SSD. Don't rely on the boot order, just manually select the SSD.
  6. Follow the directions in this link. It isn't complicated at all. Just make sure you use the Disk # of your 1TB HDD, not your 250GB SSD. Use the "clean" command, not "clean all."

*You will have to re-size the main partition. This is as easy as click-dragging the edges of the partition. There are only two mandatory partitions that must be cloned onto the SSD: the 100MB system partition, and the large Windows partition. Any additional partitions are probably assorted Lenovo drivers, and can be ignored if you prefer.

Once you are all done, your HDD will not be visible inside Windows Explorer. That's because it's a 1TB block of unformatted goodness. From within Windows, go to Disk Management and your big baby should show up. Format it as NTFS and enjoy.

Edit: I should say that Straker's problems appear to stem from a bad cloning. This can happen. If you are able to complete step 5, then you should be golden.

Thank you, this is awesome. I still wonder if there is any benefit to swapping the drives or just having the SSD sit in the Ultrabay. I suppose you would be stuck with it and couldn't swap it out.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Citation needed :confused: are you saying that the i7 is just an i5 that is binned higher?

Of course it is.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

I'm ordering this same laptop but probably won't get the SSD at the same time, although my goal in the recent future will be to do what you did and move the 1TB over to the Ultrabay and install a 250GB SSD in the main bay. I want to obviously put the OS on it as well as games/software, but is there a way to easily clone over everything on the 1TB to the SSD?

2nd question: Does it actually even matter if I swap them in the first place? What is the disadvantage of just adding the SSD to the ultrabay and still using it for the OS/gaming?
I think my problems were a one-off and you shouldn't really need to swap the drives in the first place. I'm way happier now that I just clean reinstalled anyway, it really wasn't as big a deal as I expected, I haven't even ever owned a good PC laptop, just the Acer netbook everyone was in love with 4 years ago and then random loaners/helping other people with their stupid laptop issues. One final stupid windows issue: you can't use 8.1 keys with Windows 8 (and similarly apparently 8 won't recognize bios baked-in 8.1 keys), but Windows 8 demands a key on initial install unless you add an ei.cfg to the setup volume and pay no mind that you can't activate with a perfectly legitimate key (and who the gently caress would know to do that?), so as far as I can tell laypeople are hosed when they buy 8.1 laptops. I guess most laypeople would just be using stupid recovery features instead of reinstalling Windows though.

P.N.T.M. posted:

Clone was as good as a 1TB drive cloned to a 256GB drive can be :) It did start off the SSD no problem at least once, I'm not sure where the weirdness started happening. First it insisted on starting off the 1TB drive whenever both were connected, and then sometime in there between the SSD and spinner both being bootable and me erasing the 1TB spinner, the SSD became unbootable. Or maybe it immediately got hosed up and I thought the laptop was insistent on starting from the spinner but in reality it was the only bootable volume. I don't even know what the gently caress, but I don't really care any more, after a clean reinstall this laptop is really unbelievably nice, as far as I can tell the entire reason to use Windows 8 over 7 is that with an SSD it restarts in 10 seconds.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

For the mobile non-"-Q" suffix processors, the only difference between an i3, i5, and i7 is the clock speed and TDP. They're all dual-core solutions with hyperthreading, and they all come with your pick of HD4000, HD4600, HD5000, or Iris 5100 integrated graphics. Same feature set between them. Compare the i5-4350U and i7-4650U. The only difference between them is power usage and performance. Even their features are the same.

i7 don't become quad-core unless you get the -Q suffix processors. They also happen to be the only quad-core Haswell processors offered for a mobile platform, so they're pretty much the only game in town if you need decent performing mobile quad-core processors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Yes, you can do it, but there are certain optimizations that Windows performs if it detects that it has been installed on an SSD, and you won't get any of those. Or at least that's what I've heard. Plus you'll be cloning over all of the bloatware that came with the laptop. So there are some good reasons to not just clone everything over

The downside to not cloning is you need to find the right Windows 8 ISO. Your laptop has a key that specifically only works with the OEM version of Windows 8.1. That means that an OEM Windows 8.0 or Retail Windows 8.1 or Retail Windows 8.0 won't be able to use your product key, or if for some reason you have a Windows 8.0 laptop (the product page will specify) then you need that OEM ISO instead. It's not too difficult to find if you're able to use Google and bit torrent, but it can be time-consuming (it took me about an hour to figure out what I needed and download it)

quote:

It doesn't actually matter unless you want to be able to use the ultrabay for something else, like the DVD drive that your laptop comes with. If you put the 1TB drive in the ultrabay then you can always swap it out later, if you really want to. Most people won't want to.

I still don't really understand what happened with Straker's situation, but I did the ultrabay HDD/SDD swap and everything went smoothly on the first try