Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

Current largest displacement. Some of the engines used prior to WW2 were ridiculous.

Rolls Royce used 7.7L inline sixes in the 1930s. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

So GM accidentally leaked the Z06 power numbers in their metatags.

code:
meta name="description" content="With 620 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2015 
Corvette Z06 is the most advanced Corvette ever made. Read more about Chevy’s supercar here." 
They fixed it just now (I refreshed the page to screencap the source and it was gone) but sweet jesus that's a lot of power.

Can't wait for the impending "that's a lot of money for a Chevy" posts.

That thing is going to be nuts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

davebo posted:

I hope they die from fright and their Z06's slowly roll to a stop so their widows can put them on ebay.

Will eBay even let you sell an old dead guy?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Some of those old domestic guy parts are NLA from the manufacturer unless you have the appropriate machinist, and the lead time is huge.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Fiat made a 28.3 liter inline 4 in 1911. :frog:

The Berlinetta and LaFerrari V12s are monstrous. As for Ferrari's corporate cousin, the crate Viper V10 makes 800hp and 695lb/ft TQ in a non-street legal configuration, which makes me wonder if they could make an emission friendly version with similar power by using direct injection and multiair among other things. That would probably have to wait for the sixth generation Viper, assuming CAFE doesn't ruin everything.

I'm betting the C7 Z06 will start over 100 grand, but it should be worth every penny. Its upcoming battle with the new ACR (informally confirmed by Ralph at a VOA dinner) will be one of the the last hurrahs for big engine horsepower wars. Power ratings will probably continue to increase with forced induction and hybrid systems instead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tekne posted:

I'm betting the C7 Z06 will start over 100 grand, but it should be worth every penny.

I'm guessing it'll start around C6 Z07 range for the base price. Then $100k with any options.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Chrysler just leaked the 2015 200.

Sebring no more.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

9 speed transmission with fuel economy worse than the 6 speed fusion and malibu. Seems totally worth it.

The AWD thing is interesting though. If their awd system is capable of a 50/50 split, and is available with the pentastar, game on.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

9 speed transmission with fuel economy worse than the 6 speed fusion and malibu. Seems totally worth it.

The AWD thing is interesting though. If their awd system is capable of a 50/50 split, and is available with the pentastar, game on.

Rotary dial shifting - man, they've really bested Lincoln's buttons on the stack. I know what my next car is going to be!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
They had the rotary dial shifter at least on the trucks last year.

I think it looks nice and honestly pushbutton shifting is so mid-20th century

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

They had the rotary dial shifter at least on the trucks last year.

I think it looks nice and honestly pushbutton shifting is so mid-20th century

Yeesh. Retrofit that poo poo with one of these

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tekne posted:

Chrysler just leaked the 2015 200.

Sebring no more.

Hasnt the current 200 been out for like 2 years?!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

coolskillrex remix posted:

Hasnt the current 200 been out for like 2 years?!

It was basically a facelifted Sebring with slightly updated drivetrain, this will be (presumably) a clean-sheet design.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm really disappointed that the new Z06 appears to be supercharged. With all the attention Chevy gave to cooling and aerodynamics on the base Stingray they seemed to have their eye on track time. Keeping a supercharged 600+hp car cool enough to prevent heat soak in a track environment will be a very tall order. Fingers crossed that they figure it out but I will be severely disheartened if I read about heat soak on the track.

Why couldn't the new LT4 be N/A? The LT1 seems to have tons of headroom and I'm sure the track junkies would prefer N/A over forced induction. Let the ZR1 equivalent have the insane supercharged engine. I'd take 550-575 N/A over 620 supercharged on the track. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how they hold up to abuse. Maybe a widebody LT1 will be in my future.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Does that 200 have a big piece of black plastic in the C-pillar or is that glass?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Snowdens Secret posted:

Does that 200 have a big piece of black plastic in the C-pillar or is that glass?

Looks like a giant piece of plastic to me. Which, sadly, wouldnt shock me in the least. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, because that would be one stupid rear end design choice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hard to tell, but I'd guess it's glass:
http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_this_is_the_2015_chrysler_200.html/2015-chrysler-200-spied-side-view/

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

iwentdoodie posted:

Looks like a giant piece of plastic to me. Which, sadly, wouldnt shock me in the least. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, because that would be one stupid rear end design choice.

Chrysler making a stupid design choice? Now when has that ever happened? :v:

Gotta say, all I can see in that car is a Dart with a new front clip. So that's gotta be pretty much the most boring car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

The Malibu only gets better fuel economy when equipped with the eAssist mild hybrid drivetrain.

I suspect we're reaching the point of diminishing returns with adding gears to the transmission, at least with highway fuel economy. The 200 might be geared for more brisk acceleration too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The Malibu only gets better fuel economy when equipped with the eAssist mild hybrid drivetrain.

I suspect we're reaching the point of diminishing returns with adding gears to the transmission, at least with highway fuel economy. The 200 might be geared for more brisk acceleration too.

Actually, for 2014, the regular 2.5 was rated at the same 29/36 as the e-assist.

The "hybrid" badge might as well read "rear end in a top hat"

Also, unless that thing shifts like a ferrari, you'll lose more time working through that many gears than you would gain with the ratios.

I have an 18 speed in the truck, but when i'm bobtailing it's quicker to only use ~6

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Actually, for 2014, the regular 2.5 was rated at the same 29/36 as the e-assist.

The "hybrid" badge might as well read "rear end in a top hat"

Also, unless that thing shifts like a ferrari, you'll lose more time working through that many gears than you would gain with the ratios.

I have an 18 speed in the truck, but when i'm bobtailing it's quicker to only use ~6

The only reason it's a hybrid is because Akerson pushed for it. Basically GM's own engineers and product planners knew it was worthless but the hybrid was added in by the CEO.

quote:

Last year Akerson asked his executive team to accelerate by six months the planned launch of the redesigned Chevrolet Malibu. He got a cool response. The base engine wouldn’t be ready in time for the launch Akerson sought. Debuting with a different powertrain would be costly and potentially delay the launch of higher-volume models, Akerson was warned.

“He was told that it was a mistake,” one a former executive said. “But he couldn’t understand why it would take so long.”

His team dutifully fast-tracked the launch by fitting the car with a readily available 2.4-liter engine paired with a mild hybrid system to create the Malibu Eco. Since its January debut, though, sales have been tepid as GM sold down discounted versions of the outgoing 2012 model.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You'd think they could just slap the diesel from the cruze in there and call it a day.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
So apparently this is the new 2015 WRX STI! Can't say I'm abit disappointed. I was hoping they were saving that wild WRX concept to be used as the STI.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-this-is-it-1496968833

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't know why, but that angle just triggered this in my brain

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

So they added a big spoiler and some gold rims. Wonderful.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Franco Caution posted:

So they added a big spoiler and some gold rims. Wonderful.

I probably shouldn't have had my expectations high, but when this concept is what Subaru themselves was showing us, it's painful not to see that transition to reality.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm biased, but I like it. I think it's enough of a jump over the WRX and it pays homage to older WRXes before they became blobby round things. Still not a fan of the early 00s black plastic diffuser in the back.

Hope the sunroof is optional this time around.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I probably shouldn't have had my expectations high, but when this concept is what Subaru themselves was showing us, it's painful not to see that transition to reality.

Isn't that basically the same car with a chopped roofline, JDM slim bumpers, and show lighting, though? Everything below the glass looks pretty much like the same metal, just the creases look sharper because of the lighting.

I actually think the production version is better because it has the same fenders but a bigger, more useable greenhouse. Super raked beltlines look cheap and slit rear windows are annoying.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't know, I just need the VINs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OrganizedEntropy posted:

So apparently this is the new 2015 WRX STI! Can't say I'm abit disappointed. I was hoping they were saving that wild WRX concept to be used as the STI.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-this-is-it-1496968833

I like it. Maybe I will be buying a new car after all.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo that is loving ugly. That wing does not fit that car at all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy poo poo that is loving ugly. That wing does not fit that car at all.

It is a Subaru WRX STi. You pretty much just described every WRX STi ever built.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Throatwarbler posted:

I just wish gearing was more realistic to real world usage. Here in Texas if you're not doing 80MPH you're holding up traffic. My cars are spinning around 2500RPM's at 80MPH, if they could drop that to 2K it might get another MPG on the highway or 3. One of my cars would probably handle it just fine at 1800RPM. They're maximizing whatever the loving test is set to though I'm sure, so real world we get hosed.

fake edit: looked it up, average speed of epa highway fuel economy test, 48.3mph and 10 mile distance. WTF?

real edit: If anyone cares. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 8, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

skipdogg posted:

fake edit: looked it up, average speed of epa highway fuel economy test, 48.3mph and 10 mile distance. WTF?

LOL no wonder EPA estimates don't mean poo poo.

God I wish people around here would drive 80mph on the freeway. That would make me sooooo happy. loving Washington/Oregon drivers doing 58 on the interstate.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

LOL no wonder EPA estimates don't mean poo poo.

God I wish people around here would drive 80mph on the freeway. That would make me sooooo happy. loving Washington/Oregon drivers doing 58 on the interstate.

yeah I noticed that too when I was in Seattle... nobody speeds. It was weird, like driving in Switzerland or something. Is everyone just high? Or are cops that hardcore at ticketing on the freeway?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Linedance posted:

yeah I noticed that too when I was in Seattle... nobody speeds. It was weird, like driving in Switzerland or something. Is everyone just high? Or are cops that hardcore at ticketing on the freeway?

Cops are hardcore and our drivers are complete mindless idiots. I call them the 'Driving Dead'. Blank staring 3 abreast at 57 MPH.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Cops are hardcore and our drivers are complete mindless idiots. I call them the 'Driving Dead'. Blank staring 3 abreast at 57 MPH.
Seattle drivers are so bad I have to weave through traffic doing the speed limit.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Linedance posted:

It is a Subaru WRX STi. You pretty much just described every WRX STi ever built.

Yup. Who cares what it looks like if it performs how it should? The interior appears like it's a decent step up, and that's what you're going to be looking at most anyways.

Speaking of interiors...

The new TT's interior is *awesome.*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
As annoying as seattle/wa drivers are, I'll take passive, sedated drivers over aggressive fucktards any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

skipdogg posted:

I just wish gearing was more realistic to real world usage. Here in Texas if you're not doing 80MPH you're holding up traffic. My cars are spinning around 2500RPM's at 80MPH, if they could drop that to 2K it might get another MPG on the highway or 3. One of my cars would probably handle it just fine at 1800RPM. They're maximizing whatever the loving test is set to though I'm sure, so real world we get hosed.

maybe someone should invent a narrow ratio CVT transaxle that can be attached to normal transmissions for cruise adjustments. turn on the cruise control and shift your final drive ratio so you're idling along.