Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batsarse
Dec 20, 2002

quote:

The Amazing Spider-Man

For some reason I find the idea of Spider Man swinging in One Direction horrifying...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Are there any animals with whom Willie can't get along?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spider-Man Writes a Love Poem, Poorly

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 12-14, 1926)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"The pilot just met Dengue Fever and already he's talking about moving in with her."

9 Chickweed Lane

No surprise that a character appearing in 'Chickweed' would try to escape from this strip.

Pibgorn

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (September 29-30, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (October 22, 1993)

Lucky Cow (February 16-18, 2004)

Remember when music CDs used to be a thing?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

No surprise that a character appearing in 'Chickweed' would try to escape from this strip.

I can't not just see this as a severe case of wartime V.D. I wanted to avoid the joke at first, but no. He got some strange disease from boning cheap hookers behind front lines, like a jackass. There's no other explanation for the pristine uniform, and the fact that blood is getting on nothing else whatsoever.

Edit: it's not even on his drat hand! ...yet.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Not just CDs, but cellphones being a rich person thing too. It's a twofer for outdated 90s stuff. :allears:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Comics (November 15th 2006)

No Doonesbury today. There's a spot for it, just no actual image file to download.

Boondocks

F-Minus-

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

But Rod wasn't even here during the first time machine storyline.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Not a typo at the end, there's just no good way to translate the implied meaning of "times 10" for that particular cultural convention.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

BarbarousBertha posted:

radio + weather = both

It isn't weird at all because it is a terribly written unfunny Gilchrist joke.

Oh. I completely didn't get that's what he was going for. Thanks.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

Comics (November 15th 2006)

No Doonesbury today. There's a spot for it, just no actual image file to download.

Here's that day's Doonesbury

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Sorry for the delay, I keep getting sick. Sunday Lio and Red and Rover for today, catchup tomorrow.

Lio apparently has that hair so he can look like the Rocketeer.

The Bus comes for us all one day.

Mister Beeg posted:

They're not anymore?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

don Jaime posted:

They're not anymore?

Finding CDs is easy. Walkmans, on the other hand....

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

The Hulk, and Dora, but only if she has her monkey with her.

Retail

Wait so she went from being a manager of one store to assistant manager of another? Wow Mina is a more incompetent villain than I thought. So much for her power climb.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Yesterday's strip was Refurb borrowing Karl's duster so yeah he just had a spontaneous existential crisis.

Dustin

Just ignore him?

On the Fastrack

Uh, she did? I've been posting this strip for over a year and don't remember that. Also, Dethany has a lot of dumb ideas but evil's not really her thing.

Safe Havens

Since she's a time-traveler, you know all the cash is ill-gotten but who cares? We're rich!

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 8, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

don Jaime posted:

They're not anymore?
I still buy cds as I refuse to buy mp3s because I'm an old man.

I immediately rip them to a digital format and then put them in the big box of cds in my storage because who the hell uses cds these days?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

LtStorm posted:

I like Jane's World, but it's starting to feel like Rip Haywire, but with lesbian drama. Just constant rising action and climaxes but nothing else.
Well duh, there's no such thing as a refractory period in the Janes World universe.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I work for a university library, one of my best projects ever was a site for digitized old newspapers (I don't digitize, I just made the content management and display system). Anyhow, I browse it from time to time when things are slow and sometimes there are comix!

There's generally no information about the authors or artists, but I thought I might share once in a while. I think this one kind of fits with Skippy, which is no surprise since it's from a paper dated January 25, 1924:

(click for big)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

When Luann's car's a rockin'...

Pros and Cons with enhanced interrogation techniques

Sally Forth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Panel 1 is prime edit material for anyone who happens to know what they called a strap-on in Elizabethan times.

Mister Beeg posted:

One of those CDs was The Best of The Who, it seems.

Ghostlight posted:

I still buy cds as I refuse to buy mp3s because I'm an old man.

I immediately rip them to a digital format and then put them in the big box of cds in my storage because who the hell uses cds these days?
Yeah that's about what's happening here. Bought big piles of CDs on holiday and from Christmas money, hardly any of those is ever going to be played directly. I do buy MP3s, it's streaming services I don't trust.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Been down in the code mines, missed a day of comics.

Mark Trail

In which Mark Trail bastes the bad guy in order to increae his palatability to bears.

Apartment 3G

Of course! Man, the panacea.

Juliet Jones

Well, maybe he can eat these incorporation papers.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I rarely bought CDs, but then again, I hardly seek out music to begin with. I do occasionally listen to vinyl, though (an old collection of my dad's).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I listen to CDs all the time, but that's because the library I go to every day has a really great set-up for it and I hate owning anything, even digital possessions are too much work. Also every CD they have is either a film soundtrack or somehow related to film music in some way so it's kind of a weird selection. Going by the numbers my favorites are Across the Universe, Evangelion 3.0, and Green Days: The Dinosaur and I.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Whoah Luann is at make out point. It's a new era.

Still boring as poo poo but hey, baby steps.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Yeah. No longer is it overprotective parents or something at least somewhat believable, now it's "gosh there's a gear stick right there guess we can't have sex ahyuk hyuk wanna go play skeeball?"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Small cars can go further so that's a clever line. Yep.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

no Compu-Toon today/yet

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Wait so she went from being a manager of one store to assistant manager of another? Wow Mina is a more incompetent villain than I thought. So much for her power climb.

Retail's got it pretty accurate there. Manager at a small box / side of the mall store probably pays less than assistant manager at a Big Box/Anchor/Department store, and you'd generally need to move in at that level before moving up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Uh, what is going on here? What's a water control office? Why is chief Dharma worried about being recognised? What are they bidding on? Just, what does any of this mean?

Do people still use those stupid abbreviations anyway? Smartphones seem to make them pretty pointless.

What is it with people in comics complaining about leftovers? I wish my family's Christmas turkey had lasted that long.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Hello sir please buy a CD drive
- Does it burn?
- It's certainly turning up the heat

Not exact but close enough for me to skip the Finnish lesson.

Fok_it

"Frickin' seriously" may not be as embarrassing as aikuisten oikeesti (adults' seriously) but that's the best I could come up with.

edit: oops

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Yeah, Paige has been doing "flashbacks" (euphemism for "reruns") for quite a while now. I've gotten to the point where I completely forget what was happening in the current plot. I don't know if she's been redirecting her efforts elsewhere, or what. I see random Jane related stuff pop up on her FB from time to time, but I've not researched any further to see what she's up to.

Here's a link from the Jane's World wikipedia page that describes the characters, including the ones that are in the current story.

Anyway, here's today's Jane's World No, I'm not sure what they're talking about, and I don't know who Emily from yesterday's strip is either.

Non Sequitur

Must be "rip on Miley" day in the comics world.

Heavenly Nostrils is still a day off, so here's yesterday's:

Kliban

:barf: :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/8/2003

What? How the gently caress does one become "mentally cremated"? What is that, even? :words:

Zits

Yep, you have to earn that garage space, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- Hello sir please buy a CD drive
- Does it burn?
- It's certainly turning up the heat

Not exact but close enough for me to skip the Finnish lesson.

"It's pretty hot" would work in English, since merchandise described as "hot" can mean it's been stolen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Must be "rip on Miley" day in the comics world.

If only it were just a day. Several comic authors have been using "Miley Cyrus" in place of a punchline whenever they're feeling especially lazy lately. Bill Holbrook's done it about half a dozen times, I think. Two comics (Heart of the City and Frazz, maybe?) both did "jokes" about kids threatening to dress as Miley for Halloween so their horrified parents would say yes to the costume they really wanted and the parents calling their bluff.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Sphinxster posted:

Karen Evans (the "real Luann") has been cowriting the strip since 2012, so if we're actually moving forward, it might be because there's a generational shift going on.

Peanuts (January 11, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Isn't this the same Kahn who did some arms dealing and Wally capturing in Afghanistan? And a few years in Westview has pretty much ruined him on America? Yeah, sounds about right...

Popeye

Not a bad swing for something twice as big as he is.

Rip Haywire

Pogo in which the new calendar is derailed over more pressing concerns. (January 11, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 17-18, 1924)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Johnny Walker posted:

When Luann's car's a rockin'...

Hot steamy teen action. If you like the notion of a loaf of wonder-bread in a blonde wig snogging in a sub-compact car.

Mike du Jour

Monty

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hoover Dam posted:

"It's pretty hot" would work in English, since merchandise described as "hot" can mean it's been stolen.

Oh drat, right. I knew there was a better term or phrase than what I used but I just couldn't recall it. That's what it was.

Would've been even a pretty close translation, too.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't understand the affection for Foxy Grandpa. It just has zero charm to me.

More worrying though is the idea that I'm 3 years older than the "real Luann." I was reading that strip as a kid.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

"It seems your insides are made of Spam and zucchini."

Calvin And Hobbes

The Barn has talking animals who do things that real animals don't do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Don't get high off your own supply.

• Locked thread