Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, but what if she was intentionally launched into a black hole as part of a scientific project? They'd be using her as a tool to acquire new information, not as a resource.

She probably wouldn't allow that, and it's not like anyone could make her do it.

Man, in that second link, that aurochs (or whatever it is) looks like it broke its own neck colliding with Jones. She just stops it dead right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Man, in that second link, that aurochs (or whatever it is) looks like it broke its own neck colliding with Jones. She just stops it dead right there.

Yeah it's a pretty great frame. Might have just up and died. Jones :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She is the Stone, after all.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Very eager to see where this goes.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Someone's gonna be getting an avatar out of that third panel.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"Sounds like you were lucky to get back from that..." - Oh don't flatter yourself again, Mighty Eyebrows Boy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kikas posted:

"Sounds like you were lucky to get back from that..." - Oh don't flatter yourself again, Mighty Eyebrows Boy.
"I mean, as for me, I would have somehow gotten away without even getting the scratch the first time. But you did good. A quaint little job."

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

So who gets killed by the ghost when this all goes wrong, Smitty or Parley.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
whoever gets killed, it'll be someone whose brain doesn't fit nicely into a chip that can be salvaged and installed into another skull

use the dang robots :mad:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

ronya posted:

whoever gets killed, it'll be someone whose brain doesn't fit nicely into a chip that can be salvaged and installed into another skull

They tried that two pages ago, Jeanne just seems to auto-gently caress anything mechanical* that gets to close too the annan. The only people who have survived a trip to the riverbed so far are living, breathing creatures so they don't have much choice in the matter.

Also keep in mind that robots like Robot are very much an edge case. Most of the court robots are big clunky guys who wouldn't last more than 10 seconds against Jeanne.

*(Except the tic-tocs maybe but we still don't know what their deal is.)

VVV This guy knows what's up (down?)! VVV

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 8, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ronya posted:

Or just shove Smitty off the bridge. It'll all work out somehow.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Why do they even have to go down there? Jeanne acts as a barrier across the waters keeping things like the inhabitants of Fun City and shadows out of the Court. The bridge works well enough to cross the waters while keeping the wrong people out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Because Jeanne is a soul in pain who deserves their help.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

Because Jeanne is a soul in pain who deserves their help.
That doesn't mean there won't be consequences though. I have a feeling something bad will happen as a result of their actions, even if they succeed.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Wyld Karde posted:

Someone's gonna be getting an avatar out of that third panel.

Probably.

Haha, I don't want to post that again!

Bonus Kat lookin' goofy:

Edit: Annie with the background. Image will probably need resizing or a changed format because it breaks the 30kb av limit size, though.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 8, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've been getting the feeling that Jeanne is only standing on the waters like that mostly because of the guy she loved getting shot by that thing in front of her. They haven't made any mention of him turning into a ghost or passing on have they?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

They tried that two pages ago, Jeanne just seems to auto-gently caress anything mechanical*

*(Except the tic-tocs maybe but we still don't know what their deal is.)

We do know that the tic-tocs weren't created by Diego. That's probably relevant.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Bleck posted:

We do know that the tic-tocs weren't created by Diego. That's probably relevant.

That and I think the tic-toc that was "growing" (for lack of a better term), was doing it on the forest side, where as Jeanne is on the court side of the river. But yeah, she's pretty much going to see anything robotic as an extension of Deigo, who is pretty much #1 on her poo poo list.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Forgall posted:

That doesn't mean there won't be consequences though. I have a feeling something bad will happen as a result of their actions, even if they succeed.
Yeah, the downside to saving Jean being someone dying during it would be taking the easy way out, which doesn't sound like Gunnerkrigg. I think the downside to them removing the court's best protection against the fuckery of Coyote and friends will end up being that they the removed of the court's best protection against the fuckery of Coyote and friends.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

Yeah, the downside to saving Jean being someone dying during it would be taking the easy way out, which doesn't sound like Gunnerkrigg. I think the downside to them removing the court's best protection against the fuckery of Coyote and friends will end up being that they the removed of the court's best protection against the fuckery of Coyote and friends.

Hasn't Coyote sworn never to attack the court, though?

That's why the court get all worried about renard and ysengrin but not the big guy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Court aren't protecting themselves from Coyote - he's the one that built the divide in the first place. Heck, the Court takes in students from the forest all the time.

So far, the Forest beings we've seen that are any threat to the Court are Ysengrin, the shadow people (except for Shadow), and those violent monsters Annie and Ys fought with a couple chapters ago, who may have once been Ysengrin's soldiers.

Coyote seems to have authority over all of them by some means or other, and he has nothing against the Court. I hope, by the time Jeanne has been dealt with, we'll have seen more of the politics of Gillitie and can get some nice complexities out of the possibilities of the forest actually invading the Court. The politics overall are pretty interesting from what little we've seen of them - the Court is the only side to have fortified their side of the ravine, while also being the only side to have bridged it, if strictly on their terms.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Probably.

Haha, I don't want to post that again!
Whoever buys this should flip it so that's facing their post.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RareAcumen posted:

I've been getting the feeling that Jeanne is only standing on the waters like that mostly because of the guy she loved getting shot by that thing in front of her. They haven't made any mention of him turning into a ghost or passing on have they?

Muut described Jeanne as "waiting" for something, maybe it's that guy.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I wouldn't assume that Coyote wouldn't gently caress with the Court in some way if Jeanne was gone, whether through personal involvement or sending dudes across for funsies. And I imagine a guy like him can be convinced pretty easily that it would be super hilarious if you let me leave the forest and go run around the Court for a while.

But, it's also been hundreds of years since Jeanne/Diego/elfguy, right? I'm not sure the exact timing has ever been clarified, but either way there's been plenty of time for the Court to have researched other methods of defense. Jeanne could just be a convenient legacy. It's also funny that the initial assumption we have to the loss of Jeanne is possible aggression from the Forest against the Court. Which of the two factions seems more sinister and willing to do extraordinary things in pursuit of their goals?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
There already was an incursion into the Court - long after Jeanne's incident - by (at least) two shadow-carrying WooDogs, back in chapter 22. Its purpose remains a mystery, however.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't forget robot being sent back to the court with a wooden arm and a shadow person.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I liked the last arc but I'm glad to see something with a bit more action coming up. I have a feeling that this won't end badly so much, as just...unexpectedly, though I think the ideas about removing a line of defense against the forest could be on the right track.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

But, it's also been hundreds of years since Jeanne/Diego/elfguy, right? I'm not sure the exact timing has ever been clarified, but either way there's been plenty of time for the Court to have researched other methods of defense. Jeanne could just be a convenient legacy. It's also funny that the initial assumption we have to the loss of Jeanne is possible aggression from the Forest against the Court. Which of the two factions seems more sinister and willing to do extraordinary things in pursuit of their goals?

Isn't Jeanne supposed to be buried and purged from the records though? I mean, some people had her as a candidate to go down the canyon and then they killed that forest guy. I could've sworn there was something about them keeping her from becoming public knowledge. Or, at least, Annie said something along those lines.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there any human living in exile hidden away in the Gillitie Woods, cast out from the Court because he dared to refuse hating the Forest people?

Because Shadow2's story is that he lives in exile at the Court because the other shadowmen cast him out because he dares to refuse hating the Court people (and robots).

Going "one side is good, the other is evil" is an approach far too simple for something like GC. It's quite obvious there's dirt on both sides, and since the main cast all live in the Court, we're more familiar with the shady past of the Court. Doesn't mean it's evil, and that the other side is flawless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't Jeanne supposed to be buried and purged from the records though? I mean, some people had her as a candidate to go down the canyon and then they killed that forest guy. I could've sworn there was something about them keeping her from becoming public knowledge. Or, at least, Annie said something along those lines.

Yes, Jeanne is a secret. Even Jones doesn't know about her; it's entirely likely that nobody at the Court does save for what has been discovered during the comic.

Assuming the Court doesn't know about her, I wonder if they have put thought into how to defend themselves from the forest, or whether it is necessary.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 8, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Yes, Jeanne is a secret. Even Jones doesn't know about her; it's entirely likely that nobody at the Court does save for what has been discovered during the comic.

Assuming the Court doesn't know about her, I wonder if they have put thought into how to defend themselves from the forest, or whether it is necessary.

The fact that Jones cut her off on that subject leads me to believe she knows about it. However, Annie's story won't stick, so she needs hard proof. It seems Jones is warning her of this, and the danger of going off without definite proof.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Tenebrais posted:

Jones clearly knows, she's being sly and warning Annie that she should wait until she has a conclusive story instead of a smattering of rumors.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

Jones clearly knows, she's being sly and warning Annie that she should wait until she has a conclusive story instead of a smattering of rumors.

What? Is this the next "Annie clearly knows about Kat and Paz" ?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jones came to the Court after its founding, so I doubt she knows the whole story. But she's still been around for a long time, and if she's good at anything, it's watching and listening. I would be shocked if she didn't at least know some of the details of the Jeanne case.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

if she's good at anything, it's watching and listening.

Which is precisely why I recommend using her as a recording instrument in extremely hazardous scenarios :science:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Was it ever established who was the guy who said, "Y'all are hosed up, I'm out," during the planning session for Jeanne's sacrifice? Did anything come out of it?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tupperwarez posted:

Was it ever established who was the guy who said, "Y'all are hosed up, I'm out," during the planning session for Jeanne's sacrifice? Did anything come out of it?

No, nothing confirmed as far as I know. Personally I think it's the Artillery Man (seen and mentioned here and here. The court might be named after him kinda sorta as well). I say this just because of process of elimination- there's no other named historical figure, nor has the AM been involved much, although I could be wrong!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Jones came to the Court after its founding, so I doubt she knows the whole story. But she's still been around for a long time, and if she's good at anything, it's watching and listening. I would be shocked if she didn't at least know some of the details of the Jeanne case.

The Gang of Evil erased Jeanne from history generations ago and Jones has stated she is unaware of anyone with that name, yet we're to assume she lied and purposefully withheld information? We're talking about the Jones who revealed her entire life story when directly asked about it and who gave no shits about openly second-guessing the Dean - in front of the whole Court and Coyote - when he chose Smits as the Medium, and then accused him of being either crazy or plotting sinister shenanigans. That Jones decided the best course of action was to encourage Annie in pursuing her investigation (and "please tell me about it") while, just a few moments earlier, she deliberately deprived Annie of her eidetic memory and absolutely unbiased account of the case.

:psyduck:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

That Jones decided the best course of action was to encourage Annie in pursuing her investigation (and "please tell me about it") while, just a few moments earlier, she deliberately deprived Annie of her eidetic memory and absolutely unbiased account of the case.

:psyduck:

On the other hand, she knows exactly what the dinosaurs were like, and is in no hurry to help paleontologists fill in the gaps either.

I'm of the opinion that Jones knows nothing, but has a sharp enough mind to realize that Annie is poking her nose into a closet with some very old skeletons. She was being entirely honest. She knows nothing, and when Annie has discovered as much of the story as can come to light at this point, she would like to hear it.

You know, for being the guy who the court was presumably named after, the Gunner/Artilleryman (I'm assuming they are the same figure) sure hasn't properly come up yet. That is going to be a good chapter, if he ever does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Mazerunner posted:

No, nothing confirmed as far as I know. Personally I think it's the Artillery Man (seen and mentioned here and here. The court might be named after him kinda sorta as well). I say this just because of process of elimination- there's no other named historical figure, nor has the AM been involved much, although I could be wrong!

All the times I've read this section, I've never noticed the Artilleryman or remember seeing his name. Likewise I never noted his possible connection to the school's name. I must be blind as a bat.