Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, the UK version of Impractical Jokers is somewhat horrible. The people involved don't seem too witty or quick and the show comes off as mostly boring. If anyone has watched it and thought, "meh" then you should check out the US version. The US version has a tight-knit group of improv friends which is really what makes the show. The US people seem like they are having fun while the UK people seem like they are being tortured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Eh, me and my sister loved the UK version but found that the US version was really unfunny being delivered by four identical assholish looking American men who never actually got embarrassed. The entire point is that they're being put in torturously embarrassing situations. If they're a group of close friends enjoying it, it's just improv comedy. I want to see weird looking people shaming themselves in front of an audience, like in all other British comedy programmes :colbert:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

How many episodes of the US version did you watch? They get plenty embarrassed, but its funniest when something unexpected happens or someone just clicks with what hes been asked to do and just runs with it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Crankit posted:

One thing I noticed recently is that the Mr T youtube show thing had a bunch of reversions episodes which I think were just the same clips but in a different order and now great movie mistakes turns each episode into 14 differnt episodes. When I'm channel hopping I don't like to be confused as to whether I have or haven't seen something before and whether I want to watch it.

While I can understand answering the first question being difficult, I wouldn't have thought the answer to the second one ever changed.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bravo to EastEnders for keeping the return of one of my favorite characters a secret. Hopefully it's a longer-term stay.

Actually, good on the show for pushing through the gay son storyline so quickly. I was worried that we'd be in for a good three months of him hiding it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Uhhh this series of Sherlock feels a bit... Cloyingly fan-pleasey. When did every single character suddenly become bezzie mates? Why is Sherlock now full-on autistic, shouting out nonsense because his huge intellect can't quite process all that information at once!? TOO MANY!

The opening to the latest episode might as well have ended with this sound effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Exact same thoughts. The actors are decent, there's a semblance of an interesting plot, but the direction is loving awful which isn't surprising if Moffat's involved.

The episode was basically just flashy effects, character references, fan baiting and plotholes disguising that the entire mystery was just a train car that turned off an un-mapped tunnel which ran under parliament.

Sherlock's still good but it seems like its just turning in to Dr Who right now:

lovely hole-ridden plot that doesn't even make sense, reliance on pre-established character traits, flashy nods and winks to the camera; it's almost turning in to a parody of itself. I'll still watch it though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pinwiz11 posted:

Bravo to EastEnders for keeping the return of one of my favorite characters a secret. Hopefully it's a longer-term stay.

Actually, good on the show for pushing through the gay son storyline so quickly. I was worried that we'd be in for a good three months of him hiding it.

Danny Dyer calling out homophobes on Twitter was pretty cool too.

I really like Danny Dyer, he's harmless. And funny. His bit on Big Fat Quiz had me in stitches

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thehustler posted:

Danny Dyer calling out homophobes on Twitter was pretty cool too.

I really like Danny Dyer, he's harmless. And funny. His bit on Big Fat Quiz had me in stitches

Danny Dyer is definitely a twat, but mostly he seems pretty amiable and well-meaning. Except for that ridiculous Nutz/Zoo advice page about throwing acid in a woman's face, although thinking he actually wrote that requires a lot of assumptions about dyer's functional literacy that I'm not prepared to make.

Anyway, he inspired an awesome tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM72WsoqVgk

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Counterpoint:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Like WeAreTheRomans said, I have doubts that Danny actually writes any of that.

But even if he did, him calling out homophobes was a cool gesture at least.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can you still text Danny on that number, I wonder?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh.

Oh dear :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That Nuts thing is brought up every single time. Is it not a parody of Danny Fackin' Dyer, or am I giving Nuts too much credit?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

That Nuts thing is brought up every single time. Is it not a parody of Danny Fackin' Dyer, or am I giving Nuts too much credit?

I'm pretty sure I've seen interviews where he said the column was ghostwritten, and he never checked it, just cashed the cheques.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen interviews where he said the column was ghostwritten, and he never checked it, just cashed the cheques.

This, he got paid to be a geezery face, they burnt him with that column and got a ton of publicity (and started a campaign off the back of it).

He's an idiot for not getting print approval but nothing more than that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He's still responsible for what gets printed under his name. Like Ron Paul was for the "blacks are subhuman gummint spongers" newsletters he claimed he never wrote or approved.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TinTower posted:

He's still responsible for what gets printed under his name. Like Ron Paul was for the "blacks are subhuman gummint spongers" newsletters he claimed he never wrote or approved.

Because we should hold prospective world leaders to the same standards as comedy mockney Z-list twunts.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

a political newsletter is an entirely different publication than a joke column 'written' by a celebrity in a comedy magazine.

one of them is entirely expected and standard to be ghost written, the other you'd expect the person with their name on it to at least have some input.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

a political newsletter is an entirely different publication than a joke column 'written' by a celebrity in a comedy magazine.

one of them is entirely expected and standard to be ghost written, the other you'd expect the person with their name on it to at least have some input.

I'd kind of expect both to at least be checked by the person whose name headlines the article.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd kind of expect both to at least be checked by the person whose name headlines the article.

Our Danny's a busy man, running his imaginary criminal empire that he invented after watching Layer Cake and a documentary about the Krays.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PriorMarcus posted:

i bet you think dre actually goes down the electronics workshop to work on headphone prototypes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

i bet you think dre actually goes down the electronics workshop to work on headphone prototypes.

I understand why neither one would be written by the person (though I think it's poo poo that a politician can have a ghost writer for obvious reasons) but it's really not time consuming for either one of the people to read over something with their name attached and okay it.

I'm not saying they do, just that they probably should.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 7, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just started watching The State Within. It's fantastic and I can't stop watching them. Missed it first time it was on.

Any other good miniseries like that?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Anyone catch the first episodes of The Bridge series 2 on BBC4 at the weekend?

I really hope there is more to the murderers than just they are eco terrorists.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Anyone catch the first episodes of The Bridge series 2 on BBC4 at the weekend?

I really hope there is more to the murderers than just they are eco terrorists.

I caught it, yup. It was awfully good, the cinematography was stunning, without being overly flashy, and the plot seems solid. Plus, Saga attempting to behave like an standard human being was both amusing and rather touching. I like how she's still appallingly blunt around Martin though, and he's just so very grateful for it, given how everyone is is treating him like he's made of glass.

I think that the eco-terrorists must have another plotter behind them, at least two of them are pitifully naive and we've been given way too much info on them all so early on in the series for them to be anything other than red herrings or fall guys for another group or person. Perhaps the bee-keeping owner of the boat is involved? Or perhaps we'll be seeing more of the Truth Terrorist from series 1. He was properly creepy

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Because we should hold prospective world leaders to the same standards as comedy mockney Z-list twunts.

Danny Dyer for President.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More supportable than the "Jeremy Clarkson for PM" thing that was running around the last election.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Would anybody like to talk about 'The Taste' which I watched last night. It was American as heck. I like how they use the word 'spoon' as a synonym for 'small amount of food comprising all elements of a dish' as if it's a thing everybody does. Maybe they do?

Too much talking and not enough cooking and Nigella talked too much also very forced attempts to generate some sort of rivalry.

Still I'll probably watch next week even though it was garbage.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

Would anybody like to talk about 'The Taste' which I watched last night. It was American as heck. I like how they use the word 'spoon' as a synonym for 'small amount of food comprising all elements of a dish' as if it's a thing everybody does. Maybe they do?

Too much talking and not enough cooking and Nigella talked too much also very forced attempts to generate some sort of rivalry.

Still I'll probably watch next week even though it was garbage.

Ugh bollocks I forgot to watch this or record it. What channel was it on?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Taff posted:

Channel 4 at 9pm which is a weird time for a cooking show.

The french one kept trying to instill a bit of fire in it but it was ultimately boring and badly edited, the last 5 minutes struggled to set up a tense conclusion and you'd get more drama out of watching reruns of masterchef on a saturday morning.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I've not watched The Bridge, but I did watch and enjoy The Tunnel - Stephen Dillane and Clemence Posey were both brilliant. If nothing else, it made me want to try and learn French for some reason.

Does anyone know if you can jump from one to the other (I'm guessing the remade it basically like for like)?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Well, they did serve the food on little spoons...

Show was pretty boring though. I liked when the 18yo kid started crying cause someone didn't like his food, though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taff posted:

Channel 4. I remember this particularly because its the first thing i set to record using my new Sky+ HD box.

Total Meatlove posted:

The french one kept trying to instill a bit of fire in it but it was ultimately boring and badly edited, the last 5 minutes struggled to set up a tense conclusion and you'd get more drama out of watching reruns of masterchef on a saturday morning.

My wife and I refuse to watch masterchef and we watched 'the taste' last night on channel 4 and half way through i turned to her and said:

"You know what we're doing don't you"

"What?" she replied

"We're basically watching masterchef!" I responded

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I still havent finished the last season of Masterchef the Professionals, the early rounds where Monica throws random challenges at them and they make mistakes is more fun then watching the semi finalists in a fancy kitchen.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

My wife and I refuse to watch masterchef and we watched 'the taste' last night on channel 4 and half way through i turned to her and said:

Are you one of those that can't get over losing Loyd Grossman?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Total Meatlove posted:

Are you one of those that can't get over losing Loyd Grossman?

I didn't want that incarnation either.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
FWIW Masterchef is a hundred times better than that pile of cock.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wouldn't know I don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

I wouldn't know I don't watch it.

Yeah I gathered that, which is why I then replied with a post informing you.