Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

It does nothing. I can only control the volume on the Magni.

Excellent. That's exactly how it should be. Glad to hear it's worked out so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Xovaan posted:

DACs are impossible to differentiate in blind trials so the receiver will be perfect if it supports a digital source (coax, USB, etc.) Your setup is basically perfect until you decide to experiment with tube amplification, then your wallet will cry. :)

What do you mean by "if it supports a digital source"?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

What do you mean by "if it supports a digital source"?

Digital input, like the ones he mentioned or HDMI or optical. Basically, if something has a digital input and an analog output, there has to be something in the middle that handles that conversion. Your receiver does that job for anything that sends it a digital signal through the aforementioned inputs.

RCA can only send an analog signal, so any input device connected to the receiver via it is outputting an analog signal by default. In the case of digital media devices like CD/DVD/BD/MP3 players and computers and so forth, it means that there has to be a DAC inside those devices doing the conversion, which can be of arguably variable quality when compared to what's inside a receiver or a dedicated DAC.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 8, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Midorka posted:

You talkin about the Ad700/Ad900?

Yeah, I originally had the AD700's and gave them to her when I got my AD900's. I think she doesn't like that the midrange is more prominent and wants a darker headphone in general but I don't know what to offer her in that respect. I'm gonna be making her an O2 DAC and amp combo for Valentine's Day so at the very least she'll be able to pick any headphone without worrying about it being underpowered.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I am seriously blown away by how my vinyl sounds with this setup. Thank you all for your help and patience.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Of course man, it's all about making sure you can connect to your music in ways you've never experienced before. We've all been in your shoes. Sit back and enjoy re-listening to every record you have in your collection. :)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
So if want to listen to, say, my TV through my amp, I would need to get an analog audio output going from my tivo into my receiver, then select the receiver to output that source through zone 2. Does that sound about right, since zone 2 only supports analog audio?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

beergod posted:

I am seriously blown away by how my vinyl sounds with this setup. Thank you all for your help and patience.

That first OMG moment is awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

So if want to listen to, say, my TV through my amp, I would need to get an analog audio output going from my tivo into my receiver, then select the receiver to output that source through zone 2. Does that sound about right, since zone 2 only supports analog audio?

Yes, that's exactly what you would have to do. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. If the device you want to listen to doesn't have an analog output, you're SOL.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

After some more googling and looking around, I think the emulated surround sound thing was done using the Realtek HD audio drivers that come standard on the board. My old motherboard was an MSI K9A2(ms-7376), and that didn't have a separate audio card either, but it did have the same set of drivers. I guess we'll find out once my order arrives sometime next week.

As for the order, I bought the Koss KSC75 and a Mini Clip-on Mic to go with it. With shipping, the total was 27.33, which is just about what I was hoping to spend on this. I'll make a post about how everything ends up working out once my order arrives.

Quoting this because I said I'd post about it. I got the headphones in today, but not the mic. I actually have no clue when I'll be getting the mic, as I didn't shell out the extra ~$2 for a tracking number, which in hindsight I totally should have, given how much I'm worrying about it.

Anyway, the headphones are more comfy than they have any right to be. The plastic bit that sits on the ear is bendable, so you can contour it to fit with the back of your ear. They weigh almost nothing, and the way they sit on the ear, they almost hang off of it, but pivot onto it, if that makes sense, so that they rest against your ear without adding anything even remotely resembling pressure to your ear. I'm obviously not an audiophile, so as little as this means coming from me, the sound quality is pretty fantastic. I've been playing the weirdest collection of songs I can find to test the high and low range, and I can hear everything, with no dead zones or static from high frequency to low. It's pretty great.

Does anyone know of a good utility to test surround sound? I've got the option enabled on my computer, but the utility that comes with it only tests audio from a few fixed points. The Logitech utility I had with my last headset had a feature that let me click and drag a virtual speaker around a virtual pair of headphones and it simulated whatever sound I selected in that position around my head. It was a neat thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a free utility by Razar that claims to work with any stereo headset. I'm generally loathe to use anything made by Razar, but the utility is free till June, and they're doing it to try and get donations for charity, which makes this cool in my book.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2014

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Does anybody have an opinion on the Hifiman HE-400? I'm looking to replace my 5+ year old $150 Sennheisers because the pleather is perishing, and I'd like a step up in sound quality.

I'd use them on my PC for listening to most genres of music and playing games. What I like about the HE-400 is that they seem to be entry-level high-end headphones, but don't require an amp to run.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You know you can replace the pleather.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Retarded Pimp posted:

You know you can replace the pleather.

Yeah, but like I said, I'd like a bit of a step up from these headphones. They're closed back, and can be a bit boomy.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Here's some quick thoughts from me on the Monster DNA Pro that I'm reviewing:

It's a drat shame the fit is awful with most who have tried it and the isolation is mediocre as the DNA Pro sound great with good imaging and instrument separation. The fit is so awful that even if these were $200 I would recommend other things, despite them sounding on par with $300 closed headphones. The isolation is lacking as well for closed headphones. It's a real drat shame as these could easily be $300+ headphones with some minor changes, unfortunately I wouldn't recommend these unless you were willing to deal with discomfort and can find these for $150 new. Monster really blew their chance with these.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I think it might be time to upgrade to a tube amp. What's good?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, I originally had the AD700's and gave them to her when I got my AD900's. I think she doesn't like that the midrange is more prominent and wants a darker headphone in general but I don't know what to offer her in that respect.

Beyer DT-990 Pro 250 ohm? They're $150 and ugly as balls, but they seem right up her alley and they'd pair well with that amp- and they're a steal at that price. If you want, you can pay an extra $110 for the sonically identical but slightly more attractive Premium version (I personally think it looks worse, all plain and bulbous and gray).

beergod posted:

It's all downhill from here. Once you get used to it, it'll become your new normal and you won't be as wowed by it but you'll always be disappointed and unsatisfied by anything inferior. Welcome to your new hell.

beergod posted:

For headphones, or in general?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Beyer DT-990 Pro 250 ohm? They're $150 and ugly as balls, but they seem right up her alley and they'd pair well with that amp- and they're a steal at that price. If you want, you can pay an extra $110 for the sonically identical but slightly more attractive Premium version (I personally think it looks worse, all plain and bulbous and gray).

It's all downhill from here. Once you get used to it, it'll become your new normal and you won't be as wowed by it but you'll always be disappointed and unsatisfied by anything inferior. Welcome to your new hell.

For headphones, or in general?

I was thinking the 600 ohm version of the DT-880's for her would be great, actually. I figure our combined budget is about $400 and they seem to have stellar reviews. (although the 990's are no slouches either) :)

beergod posted:

Are aesthetics important to you? What's your budget? It's a pretty different sound signature in general depending on how you roll your tubes and if you go pure tube vs. hybrid. Tubes are also really pretty to look at:

edit: I should also add: What don't you like about solid state that you feel would be accomplished with tubes?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 9, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Slow down and enjoy the music.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

Slow down there, chief. Is there something specific about the Magni you don't like, or is this based on "everyone says tube amps are better for vinyl"? Tube amps have a very different sound, and really should be listened to before buying. I personally don't even like the sound, so it's more of a personal thing than a straight improvement. See if there is a HiFi shop near you and give them a listen.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Midorka posted:

Buy the NVX XPT100 and thank me later! They fit all of your criteria.

Thanking you later! I received these and I'm using them and hearing stuff in songs I had no idea was there! They're also comfortable as hell and I love the cabling system, and the price was right, and I can't even hear myself type through the padding. Seriously all of my criteria spot on

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I was joking, I'm not upgrading anytime soon. Point being I can see how this could quickly get addictive as you chase the perfect-sound dragon.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Diminishing returns come fairly quickly. I work behind this with lots of very expensive toys:

But I never feel like I'm missing anything with a modestly-priced setup at home.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 9, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat, that's an awesome setup. A lot of my friends are audio engineers (two in studios) and those space stations never cease to amaze me.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Xovaan posted:

Are aesthetics important to you? What's your budget? It's a pretty different sound signature in general depending on how you roll your tubes and if you go pure tube vs. hybrid. Tubes are also really pretty to look at:

What is this beautiful thing and where can I buy it?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Allnic HPA5000. I think you need a small loan to buy it though :spergin:

edit: YEP ONLY SEVEN GRAND

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Xovaan posted:

Allnic HPA5000. I think you need a small loan to buy it though :spergin:

edit: YEP ONLY SEVEN GRAND

gently caress. I have zero need for a tube amp and I therefore can't justify buying that, no matter how pretty it is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So after owning a HE400 for over a year I kinda reached the conclusion I prefer the AD900s. I enjoy the HE-400 and I could live happily with it, but it's just not as good for me.

The AD900s are still my favorite headphones. I even had more expensive headphones like the Denon D5000, the HE400 themselves and I've heard on Sennheiser HD 600 and 650 (though I didn't own them). I'm not looking for a replacement any time soon but I suppose the only place I can go from here is the AD2000?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 10, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I need new headphones for use with my Galaxy S4 (among other things but that's the big one). It came with IEM headphones that I really liked, but after a few months something bent the wrong way in the jack and sound only came out one ear unless you bent the cord next to the jack just right. I got an identical pair to replace them, which may not have been the best idea because they developed the same problem after a few months. Is this a problem I'm always going to have with IEMs, or can you point me to a pair that fits these requirements (list format from the OP), AND won't get hosed up like that after a few months?

Budget - Probably no more than $50 unless they're really sturdy and won't develop the same audio problem after a few months.
Source - Samsung Galaxy S4 phone primarly, laptop when needed.
Isolation Requirements - Sure, normal IEM isolation is fine by me.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, but I had a pair of Phillips IEMs years ago with totally bitching bass and I wish I could find those same IEMs again (or their most recent form)
Past Headphones - Stock Samsung headphones: seemed like a good balance in the audio, but more importantly had a mic, volume and play/pause controls on the headphone cord which are a huge help. I'd really like my new pair to have those controls. Don't really know headphone names past that.
Preferred Music - Primarily podcasts but I should listen to more music.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There still aren't a lot of headphones that have Android specific button controls. In fact, the best one I've found is the Samsung stock headphones that came with the S4. If you replace the eartips with Sony or generic eartips the sound is actually very good as well. An option might be to get them again but also get a carry case for them as opposed to just wrapping them around the phone or shoving them in your pocket. Something like a cheap tin cigarette case from a dollar store works really well.

Other than that, both Klipsch and Philips make Android-specific headsets but I've not had a chance to test them. If you want a Philips headset with the bitchin' base you remember, try the Philips SHE3595. It's pretty cheap and sounds great but only has a single button for control.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shymog posted:

gently caress. I have zero need for a tube amp and I therefore can't justify buying that, no matter how pretty it is.
Aren't there fake tube amps for situations like this? Like a regular (and affordable) amp but cosmetically looks like a tube amp, including lighting up and stuff. Maybe fake sound distortion options too for all I know.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Probably easier to just get a cheap tube amp. Tubes aren't expensive or mysterious.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Aren't there fake tube amps for situations like this? Like a regular (and affordable) amp but cosmetically looks like a tube amp, including lighting up and stuff. Maybe fake sound distortion options too for all I know.

Maybe. But for $350 you can pick up a Schiit Valhalla and have the real deal.

By all accounts it sounds really good too- though some people say that it's too accurate and doesn't sound tubular enough for them. Aesthetically it's really pretty- though the tubes are a bit on the smaller side so you get less of that :pcgaming:eye candy:pcgaming:.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can also spend $200 on some thing from china. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221178245274

Realize that audio tubes emit almost no light. That Hollywood glow comes from LEDs wedged underneath.

xgp15a-ii
Jan 10, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

You can also spend $200 on some thing from china. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221178245274

Realize that audio tubes emit almost no light. That Hollywood glow comes from LEDs wedged underneath.

In a very dark room, the tube light is enough to feel significant, even if it looks like nothing under sunlight. I don't really know of any amps that have LEDs built into them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

xgp15a-ii posted:

In a very dark room, the tube light is enough to feel significant, even if it looks like nothing under sunlight. I don't really know of any amps that have LEDs built into them.

LEDs:

A lot of tube sockets have a rivet that can be drilled out up the middle, just the perfect size for an orange LED.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

You're absolutely right, or it comes from the giant fuckoff tubes that a lot of more expensive amps use in their AC->DC rectifier circuits.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Elentor posted:

So after owning a HE400 for over a year I kinda reached the conclusion I prefer the AD900s. I enjoy the HE-400 and I could live happily with it, but it's just not as good for me.

The AD900s are still my favorite headphones. I even had more expensive headphones like the Denon D5000, the HE400 themselves and I've heard on Sennheiser HD 600 and 650 (though I didn't own them). I'm not looking for a replacement any time soon but I suppose the only place I can go from here is the AD2000?

I just put in an order for AD-2000X's and they'll be here Tuesday. I'll give you a thorough opinion as currently I'm using the AD900's which I love a lot.

I love the AT lineup (had 700's prior to these for several years) so I'll try to give you details within perspective.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Elentor posted:

As a former Ad700, Ad900 and Ad2000 owner, yes the only place is the Ad2000. Audio Technica Ad sound is so unique that it's the only way to go if you're that in love with the Ad900.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got a set of Vsonic VSD1's a couple of days ago and these are definitely going to be my IEM recommendation in the $50 range. I was debating on whether to get the more balanced sounding VSD1S or fun sounding VSD1, I've already had the Ety ER-4p, EREK-5 and HiFiMan RE0, so I went with the fun one.
I think I've got the fit right, the swivel nozzle is a godsend for that, I'm not sure I could get a good seal without being able to angle it up. It also helps wearing it over the ear, just reverse the left & right and angle the nozzle appropriately. They come with a rubber wire guide to run over the ear and three tips, I haven't used the guide yet since I've been rotating between straight and over the ear. The large single flange and bi-flange seem to work well, I don't notice any difference in sound between them. The single flange is oval and long, seating deep for a single flange and works better for me than round ones, I've put that one on the Turbine as it gives me a good fit over the ear with those finicky fit IEM's. The Bi's work pretty good in either orientation, no pun intended, the profile is low enough that I could see falling asleep with these in and not having sore ears in the morning. These have about 30 hrs on them haven't noticed any burn in at all.

They've got a sound somewhat like the Monster Turbine pro, slightly mid recessed and a strong low end and some sparkle on top, I could see how they could cause some sibilance on some recordings, but I listened to my brightness test, Big Money - Rush and there wasn't any, in fact, the VSD1 brought out some bass I hadn't really heard before in that recording and made it an enjoyable listen.

The mids are a bit recessed in some areas, guitars and female voices aren't as engaging as on the RE0 or Grados I've had, but they're not bad, just not as forward as those other phones. The VSD1S would probably be better for that. On Mazzy Star the RE0 does something almost magical with the singers voice, the VSD1 isn't quite there, it's almost like she's a couple steps back in comparison. Male vocals tended to do better, on Harvest - Opeth it sounds like Peter took a step toward the mic. On Conceiving You - Riverside Mariusz Duda sounded really good.

The bass is really what these do best, it gets low and strong without overpowering the rest of the music, on Daughter of Bilitis - Grails it was almost ear shaking, turning on the E10 bass boost was eye opening. On D-Moll (session1) - Tosca the low rumble and subsonics that start at 1:30 were very present and with the bass boost on they shook a little in my ears. On Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach - Gorillaz the bass tone that starts at :35 was smile inducing. In back to back listening the Turbine seems to have more mid-bass, but the VSD1 sounds like it goes down farther or at least has more down low.

The Turbine seems to edge out the Vsonic in detail, but not nearly as much as the $50-100 price difference would lead you to believe. The imaging and soundstaging is pretty good for this price range, it's pretty wide and has some front to back depth and the instruments and imaged much much better than left, right and middle globs, just not quite pinpoint like the ER-4, but for $50 I'll take it.

So yea, for $50 it's going to hard to beat these and the VSD1S, IMO Vsonic has knocked one out of the park with them, I may get the 1S just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I have an aging set of Audio Technica ATH-A700s. I lost the wings a while ago, the pads are wearing down a bit, and the cord's covering is starting to fray. I'm having trouble figuring out whether to try to replace the old/broken parts, get a new pair, or buy a different set entirely. I really like the soundstage of these, and it seems to be unique in the price range. I also like having versatility, so it works for basically anything from music to games. I have no need for aesthetics, mobility, or any kind of other special features in headphones. How much do I need to spend to replicate the great soundstage in the A700s? They are often listed for like $200 or $300, then marked down to $140ish, so it's hard to compare them to other models in terms of return on investment. I mean, I like them a lot- I'm just wondering whether I can do better, especially after reading a Wirecutter review that recommends $80 Sony MDR-7506s for this price range.