Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, messing around with the Enemy Within options.

The medals and nano-implants are a lot to process. What medals do people generally pick? Is Will a really important stat in the late game, or. . .?

Get the Aim bonus ines and shove them on your early MECs to make up for their bad aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Will isn't that important unless you're planning on mind controlling an etheral or something. Just getting it around 100 for everyone is usually enough. Don't think it's possible to get enough will to resist mind control consistently on higher dfficulties because I've had everyone on 150 will and they still got controlled like chumps on classic.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Always assign the Defender Medal the power that prevents people with it from panicking when a teammate dies or is injured. It'll save you so much grief.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I keep scopes on all of my soldiers (including snipers) for the entire game. Even my shotgun assault! With Tactical Rigging, it makes it stupid not to. Adding 10 Aim to literally every shot you take in this game makes it well worth it in the long run. I can only imagine how many shots I would have missed over the course of an entire campaign if I didn't do that.

A support's aim is good enough that I think it's better to run medkit/ghost grenades, especially once they get deep pockets.

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 8, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kiggles posted:

First, I just want to ask, is this true, or is this speculation because SHIVs are so far down the list? I wonder if they will participate if you simply have no one else in the barracks.

Second, if true, that's some loving bullshit, of the highest order.

I did a run where I fired everyone but 6 alloy SHIVs after taking out the alien base. I started the base defense mission with nothing but rookies. Yes, it's bullshit.

FoolyCharged posted:

From personal experience of trying an all shiv run and firing everyone but 4 to get the shivs in the base defense... kinda? I'm pretty sure it's not the norm, but when the alloy shiv tried to reinforce as the second wave(5th dude) it got stuck in the wall where it spawned instead of moving into the base, and spawned in damaged to boot.

Weird. I just got no SHIVs at all, only rookies.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

So India was at panic level 5, I launched a satellite and it dropped down to 3. Immediately afterwards there was an invasion, including India. I chose to go elsewhere, now India is back to panic level 5 but they have a satellite. Am I SOL? Is there no way to save India now?

This is from a few pages back, but it should be a 50/50 chance of losing a point of panic at the end of the month if you have a satellite up and 4 or 5 panic. So basically you have even odds of them leaving or not.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

ulmont posted:

I did a run where I fired everyone but 6 alloy SHIVs after taking out the alien base. I started the base defense mission with nothing but rookies. Yes, it's bullshit.

Weird. I just got no SHIVs at all, only rookies.

I heard second-hand that SHIVs in the base defence mission are glitched, and are only considered eligible to be reinforcements if they are in the Repair Bay.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just had my first run-in with three Muton Elites in(side) a supply barge. Those things are tough, but they couldn't withstand the combined firepower of my A-Team. Then it w... OH poo poo something's coming from behind. It's... it's a huge metal beast, spewing dark clouds of death from its opened skull :stonklol:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, messing around with the Enemy Within options.

The medals and nano-implants are a lot to process. What medals do people generally pick? Is Will a really important stat in the late game, or. . .?
The only real notes I can think of on medals is A. It's better to choose cover as te option for the urban combat one and B. the game doesn't tell you but you only get a limited number of each medal. Ever. So choose who get's them carefully.

Also yeah, having played a few games on classic I'm getting what people were talking about already. And I like it :getin:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is there any reason to play Enemy Unknown if you have Enemy Within?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Thin men are bullshit x20 on impossible. Thank god I am not playing ironman.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zettace posted:

Not really. I suppose playing EU first will let you appreciate EW more. The additions in EW also might be overwhelming when combined with everything else in EU if you've never played it before?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Not really. I suppose playing EU first will let you appreciate EW more. The additions in EW also might be overwhelming when combined with everything else in EU if you've never played it before?
I was up to the last mission in EU before I bought EW during the Christmas sale. Are the endings the same? If they are then I might just start a new play through and see the ending that way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zettace posted:

I started with EU and felt it made more sense especially now that I'm some distance into EW and can see the differences. There's less to learn all at once and it's still a good game. But there's obviously no reason to do it if you're only going to play through the game once.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

prefect posted:

I performed my first two MEC punches over the weekend, and they were satisfying. (Except when Vahlen scolded me for destroying an already-collected Meld canister. :argh:) Although I really, really, really wish the Thin Men's heads would pop clean off when you uppercut them. (Also, my MEC looks and sounds almost exactly like Sinn from Frisky Dingo. :allears:)

I punched a Mechtoid out through a Medium Scout Ship's hull a couple of days ago. I sort of imagined him yelling, "Get off my plane!"

In other news, there seems to be a politician advocating peaceful co-existence with the aliens. Perhaps XCOM should pick him up for... questioning.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kiggles posted:

How do I balance satellites and not dying to Thin Men in the second month? I can handle everything else with ballistics and basic armor, its just those drat lizards.

Everyone hates thin men. One of the things I used to love about long war was that it delayed them, while allowing drones to spawn early without their usual big brothers. They are surprisingly tanky against rookies with ballistics.

The only reliable solution to early thin men is explosives. Once you have lasers, gene mods, or mecs they are much easier to deal with, but they are a huge pain in the rear end for a large portion of the game. Rockets and grenades all day. Take away their cover and/or kill them outright. Scorched earth.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had a new Swedish support who somehow went from 2 to 7 kills in one mission (the guy just would not miss) and that didn't even get him his second level. Is it random when people level up?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I love that the MEC grenade launcher does exactly 4 damage. Blowing up three Thin Men with it is so satisfying.

Also using Collateral Damage on a car with three Thin Men taking cover around it. There's an achievement for that :allears:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zettace posted:

I never played XCOM before so I started with EU to get a feeling for things. Now that I suck less I'm planing a second play through using EW. So I would say if you plan to play the game several times start with EU then EW, if you plan to do just one or two games, just go for EW.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
EU/EW are missing a lot of the fun of being absolutely sideswiped by random walking Muton's/Floaters/sectoids. Having all aliens just sit in their places until you encounter them gets rather boring.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Party Plane Jones posted:

EU/EW are missing a lot of the fun of being absolutely sideswiped by random walking Muton's/Floaters/sectoids. Having all aliens just sit in their places until you encounter them gets rather boring.

Thats because they don't walk, they teleport! :science:

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Carnalfex posted:

Everyone hates thin men. One of the things I used to love about long war was that it delayed them, while allowing drones to spawn early without their usual big brothers. They are surprisingly tanky against rookies with ballistics.

The only reliable solution to early thin men is explosives. Once you have lasers, gene mods, or mecs they are much easier to deal with, but they are a huge pain in the rear end for a large portion of the game. Rockets and grenades all day. Take away their cover and/or kill them outright. Scorched earth.

Watching some of the ways people have approached impossible/ironman, It seems like good use of explosives is really the best tool you have to even the playing fields.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I just had a sectopod teleport into the middle of my squad and a muton/zerker group wander into range while chasing two retreating heavy floaters. What is this "aliens just sit in their places" you speak of? :colbert:

Zettace posted:

I agree with the two prevailing perspectives. Either you're going to play through once, or you're going to play through a ton. If once, do EW. If many times, do EU until you beat it on classic then upgrade.

The thing that makes this game great is discovering new tactics and trying them out. There are things you simply will not try in EW because there are newer, better ways to do them. I used to use a rocket or grenade to blow open walls and expose dudes to squadsight fire. I used to adore ghost armor. Now I can punch walls and almost everyone who isn't a mech gets mimetic skin and ghost armor is kinda pointless.

Also now that ghost armor is pretty much pointless because I give everyone mimetic skin, does anyone know if it's possible to add a new armor class to the game? I kinda want to make ghost armor unlock something else that does something else. Maybe just make ghost research unlock ghost armor and give Archangel armor extra defense or something? I mean, I know I can just give archangel armor defense by default, but I wanted to preserve the tech tree while giving myself some kinda alternate to ghost armor that isn't a downgrade that comes out at the same point in time.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 8, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm off to my best ironman classic start ever. Well, I'm having some geoscape and financial problems, but that is ok; my squad is holding up well. I'm about to tackle Portent, however, and even though I have a fairly good idea how the map plays out and where to position my soldiers, the map never goes well.
I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that I don't get my actually reliable squad killed!

Edit: 1 minor injury. Everyone is home safe and I have a bunch of thin man corpses. Oh yeah.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 8, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

dogstile posted:

I think what he means is that if the aliens discover you on their turn they won't attack on that turn. While on the original game if a sectoid walks out of the fog of war and sees cluttered rookies hes going to throw a granade and run away.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

When I got my first Battleship mission (not the Slingshot one) I had cleared out the ship but for some reason the mission didn't finish. I backtracked carefully trying to find if I had missed anything, and eventually found a pair of muton elites hiding. In my evac zone.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
1.) If you successfully knock a dude out with the Arc Thrower and then an unfortunate car explosion kills him, do his weapons explode into fragments after the fact or will they be recoverable at the end of the mission?

2.) What's the one biggest thing you need to adapt to going from Normal to Classic? Or is it just generally more demanding combat all around.

e: looks like the answer to 1. is that they do explode, since I only brought home one plasma rifle and one grenade from my 2 muton captures that mission.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 8, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
The more I play this game the more fun I have. I keep telling myself I'm going to play other games but...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SeaTard posted:

This is from a few pages back, but it should be a 50/50 chance of losing a point of panic at the end of the month if you have a satellite up and 4 or 5 panic. So basically you have even odds of them leaving or not.

It's not always a 50% chance; it seems to depend on the difficulty setting.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/DefaultGameCore.ini_settings_-_XCOM:EU_2012#BALANCE_Mode_Panic_Defection_Chance_Rolls

code:
SAT_PANIC_REDUCTION_PER_MONTH=1 ;If a country has a satellite, it will remove panic once a month, but the chance of this happening is PANIC_REDUCTION_CHANCE
SAT_PANIC_REDUCTION_PER_MONTH=1
PANIC_5_REDUCTION_CHANCE=100
PANIC_5_REDUCTION_CHANCE=100
PANIC_5_REDUCTION_CHANCE=50
PANIC_5_REDUCTION_CHANCE=50

PANIC_4_REDUCTION_CHANCE=50
PANIC_4_REDUCTION_CHANCE=50
PANIC_4_REDUCTION_CHANCE=25
PANIC_4_REDUCTION_CHANCE=25

PANIC_LOW_REDUCTION_CHANCE=25
PANIC_LOW_REDUCTION_CHANCE=25
PANIC_LOW_REDUCTION_CHANCE=10
PANIC_LOW_REDUCTION_CHANCE=10

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Well, I think that just solved my classic ironman marathon money issues.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the other hand, requests for EXALT weapons are always an insultingly low amount of money, to the point where I'm not even sure it's intended for a council nation to request a dozen EXALT weapons for maybe 24 spacebux. If nothing else it's a waste of a valuable council request. Other annoying council requests: satellite requests that last for less time than is required to build a satellite.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I also don't like the fact that you can't build satellites before you have enough uplinks/nexus. I don't want to launch them, just build them in parallel.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

I also don't like the fact that you can't build satellites before you have enough uplinks/nexus.
If you don't have enough uplinks there will be red text informing you of that in the build screen, but you should still be able to order the construction of the satellite if you have enough money.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

If you don't have enough uplinks there will be red text informing you of that in the build screen, but you should still be able to order the construction of the satellite if you have enough money.

Well, gently caress me.

:bang:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

a slim spar posted:

1.) If you successfully knock a dude out with the Arc Thrower and then an unfortunate car explosion kills him, do his weapons explode into fragments after the fact or will they be recoverable at the end of the mission?

2.) What's the one biggest thing you need to adapt to going from Normal to Classic? Or is it just generally more demanding combat all around.

e: looks like the answer to 1. is that they do explode, since I only brought home one plasma rifle and one grenade from my 2 muton captures that mission.

You can sorta get away with using half cover in normal but in classic it's asking for a burst to the face.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've finally got my first MEC unit right after completing Newfoundland and should have practically every where covered by a satellite at the end of my current month. Turned the more annoying of my snipers into the MEC unit and my other sniper got the first gene mods. Looking forward to my next mission when I get the chance to see what they can do.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Carnalfex posted:

Yeah, pretty much the only advice anyone ever gives, which is really disappointing. Last three attempts I've made at Classic Ironman have had me in abduction missions with three packs of three thin men during the first few days of April. With only four grenades and a rocket, everything pretty much needs to go perfectly, which simply doesn't happen.

Carnalfex posted:

I was really interested in Long War if only for the increased squad size, but this has me even more interested. My previous Classic run went pretty smooth. I didn't really save scum except to figure out some of the optional mission lines, like Portent, or Slingshot stuff. Now, on my Classic Ironman playthrough, I just can't break these thin men, and it is really jarring. Hate to bitch about :xcom:, but when the early April strategy for Thin Men basically amounts to "hope you have enough explosives for them", something is wrong, and looking back, its pretty clear that the only way I made it through April my first time through was because I just didn't run into many Thin Men during the second month.

That said, I think I am going to adapt my play. If I run into more than 1 thin man pack before the third week of April, I'm just running everyone back to the LZ and aborting. Whatever nation let those fuckers in their borders during the first 60 days can get hosed. I don't like it, but if that is the only way the game can force a Nation or two to withdraw, well, there we go.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

I think what he means is that if the aliens discover you on their turn they won't attack on that turn. While on the original game if a sectoid walks out of the fog of war and sees cluttered rookies hes going to throw a granade and run away.

Aside from terror maps (or bullshit teleporting) enemies will pretty rarely move into your view without being fairly close already. In UFO Defense they'd just wander around randomly encountering you which definitely ended up with more "oh poo poo" moments.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Furism posted:

Well, gently caress me.

:bang:

That actually killed my first playthrough back when EU came out. They should have used a different color for the "you don't have enough uplinks" text, since in every other case red text means you can't build the item at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
The French are such nihilists

• Locked thread