Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

martinlutherbling posted:

Started watching Maron the other night, and I really liked it. Its a sitcom starring Marc Maron as himself, an aging hipster ex drug addict comedian. It feels like a cross between Louie and Curb Your Enthusiasm but with a little less of the painful awkwardness of those shows. Just a little. Also it features guest stars like Danny Trejo and Dennis Leary and you should just watch it.

I liked it but the danny trejo episode was pretty cringe-worthy in my opinion, something about it just seemed fake. Like most other parts of Maron seem grounded in reality, but that whole story-line with the ex-con that fucks people up and the gangsters just seemed fake and silly to me, like Maron wanted to up his street cred. That's really the only episode I had a problem with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also, the weirdo cat whisperer dude calls cat owners "cat guardians" without the least hint of shame.

It's no more bullshit a term as 'pet parent', which has practically become industry standard in pet care.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cat whisperer dude's name is Jackson Galaxy which is just the raddest name on the planet.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thanks to all the people that recommended The Yellow Sea in here. Started it up pretty last night and was worried I might doze off during it, but had no problem staying up late and finishing it. It felt so strange seeing a modern day action flick with virtually no guns involved, knives and hatchets in everything made it feel so much more brutal and personal. I really enjoyed his early planning stages over the first few days of watching his target; studying the times, planning his movements with the automated lights, and acting out everything prior to the hit to ensure everything goes the way he wants it. I really wasn't sure the movie was going to carry over as well in the second half since the first half was so strong, but it wrapped up very nicely.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Cat whisperer dude's name is Jackson Galaxy which is just the raddest name on the planet.

That guy kicks rear end. It's so funny/precious to see this tatted-up punk rocker dude come into people's homes and then go into full-on baby-talk mode when he meets their cats. :3:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also, the weirdo cat whisperer dude calls cat owners "cat guardians" without the least hint of shame.

Anyone with a cat will tell you, they certainly aren't cat 'owners'.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Looks like American Psycho, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and The Iron Lady are up, which I don't think were up before.

Also new is All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, which is a pretty solid recent horror movie.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

User-Friendly posted:

new is All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, which is a pretty solid recent horror movie.

Haha, I see what you did there.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone with a cat will tell you, they certainly aren't cat 'owners'.

I'm a cat :owned:er

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Broken Flowers, :smith:...

:sonia:

:smithicide:.

5/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Drinking Buddies served only to further solidify my opinion that all "mumblecore" movies are, in fact, terrible.

Nah, I watched it the other night with some friends and was surprised by how good it was. Really subtle, nuanced performances, especially from Anna Kendrick. And I loved the ending where, after spending the entire movie thinking the couples are going to swap, we find out that no, that's not how life works sometimes. Not great, but really good, maybe the best mumblecore film I've seen.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I was pretty happy to see that Narc was one of the many movies added a few days ago. It's what originally made me notice Joe Carnahan who also directed the more recent The Grey. The gritty dark grittydarkness of it is a bit much sometimes but overall I'd say its well worth a watch.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just watched A Necessary Death. This had my emotions going in so many directions. Well worth a watch. It's best going into it blind, though. Do yourself a favor and do zero research on the film. It will be worth it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm liking My cat from hell, though at first I thought the dude was ridiculous. I find it funny that it's usually the owners fault and never really the cats. There was one dude that, I think he was a bartender, who was just stupid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

calandryll posted:

There was one dude that, I think he was a bartender, who was just stupid.

This is my new favorite short story.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is my new favorite short story.

Haha, I've watched them all back to back I couldn't remember the difference between the owners, other than most of them are pretty stupid.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

calandryll posted:

Haha, I've watched them all back to back I couldn't remember the difference between the owners, other than most of them are pretty stupid.

Wasn't that the cat that was literally named "minibar?"

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Please don't watch Drinking Buddies. I really like Anna Kendrick and don't mind Olivia Wilde but the movie was an absolute waste of time. What a waste of Ron Livingston as well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MariusLecter posted:

Broken Flowers:
:smith:...

:sonia:

:smithicide:

5/5

I don't know if the film was 5/5 for me, but your little summary here is definitely a 5/5.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Please don't watch Drinking Buddies. I really like Anna Kendrick and don't mind Olivia Wilde but the movie was an absolute waste of time. What a waste of Ron Livingston as well.

I thought the characters were believable, well acted all around, and I'm glad it didn't have the cliche ending it looked like it was leading to. I'd recommend it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CaptainStag posted:

I was pretty happy to see that Narc was one of the many movies added a few days ago. It's what originally made me notice Joe Carnahan who also directed the more recent The Grey. The gritty dark grittydarkness of it is a bit much sometimes but overall I'd say its well worth a watch.

Hey thanks for reminding me The Grey is on streaming. This is one of the most beautiful movies (in its bleak grimness)

Edit: I forgot to mention that The History of Future Folk is a wonderful movie. The costumes alone sold it to me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2014

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Jummy posted:

I thought the characters were believable, well acted all around, and I'm glad it didn't have the cliche ending it looked like it was leading to. I'd recommend it.
I do like that they didn't end up with the cliche ending but it just felt like the conversations were meaningless and the movie itself wasn't leading anywhere. To me it was just a lot of people flirting and saying uhh and umm awkwardly. That's just my opinion though, good for you if you enjoyed it. Definitely not my movie though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We watched Springbreakers the other night and everyone should watch Springbreakers because holy poo poo, spring breeeeak.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

*whispers* spring break biiiiiiiiiiiiitch

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

We watched Springbreakers the other night and everyone should watch Springbreakers because holy poo poo, spring breeeeak.

This movie is not on Netflix, you disappointed me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mescal posted:

This movie is not on Netflix, you disappointed me.

It is, however, on Amazon Instant.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's on Canadian Netflix though :canada:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched The Good, the Bad, and the Weird. Very fun movie all around. Probably didn't seem as good as it really was to me because I kept trying to compare it to Good Bad and Ugly, which is one of my favorite movies of all time, but it was an exciting ride from beginning to end.

If anyone wants a fun Korean western, look no further.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's no sign of Fast and Furious 6 yet, but Fasts and Furiouses one through five are available for streaming on Canadian Netflix.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If you want to watch a ninja movie where the main character brutally murders almost everyone he meets then Ninja II is an okay film. The fight coreography is solid and Scott Adkins spends a good amount of time naked and he's crazy muscular. The thing is it's entirely joyless and I don't know how aware the people making it were because it sure is uncomfortable having a main character who has a free ticket to murder anyone he likes because his wife died. That might be the point though?

It has the beginnings of a redemption arc and it acknowledges the main character has seriously lost his cool and can't control himself but it never does anything about it and he just kills more people.

Universal Soldier spoilers There's even a twist which makes his killing spree even less okay but I couldn't stop thinking about Universal Soldier day of reckoning when it turns out his memories of his family being killed are fake. This is pretty much the straight forward version of that film where his wifes death is real.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

calandryll posted:

I usually want to reach through the TV and punch most of the owners. Pretty much every episode boils down to them not paying attention to said cat(s) and/or thinking that cats are the same as dogs.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

a lot of people flirting and saying uhh and umm awkwardly

That's pretty much the whole mumblecore genre in a nutshell.

And thanks for getting my hopes up that Spring Breakers was added to Netflix you jerks. :argh:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've asked this before, but never got an answer, but is there a website that has a list of what movies are on other regions Netflix that aren't on the US Netflix?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
http://www.moreflicks.com/

It's not a list, you can find out on which service / region something is streaming. Note that it doesn't know all the regions. I can't check if something is available on the Dutch Netflix.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CaptainStag posted:

I really loved Narc when it first came out, and it stood out to me as one of Ray Liotta's best roles. I'll have to re-watch it and see if it holds up as well as I remember.

Recently started watching Columbo and oh man it's great. I knew vaguely about Peter Falk playing a detective in the '70s, but his character is so much fun to watch. He does an excellent job appearing absentminded and "aw shucks" Barney Fife-ish.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would tend to disagree. While it wasn't bad and even looked good at times (strong cinematography work) it was just so drat boring/goofy by the end. The start with the robbery was great, and everything prior to Alien's arrival was OK, but by the climax where two girls with pistols wipe out an entire house full of well armed gangsters just goes too far.

Admittedly I'm probably not the target audience for the film, but I will say to anyone who is watching for the first time; temper your expectations. It's OK to good, but I'd argue it never even approaches greatness.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just finished watching The Tick and I really, really enjoyed it. There's only 9 episodes but I highly recommend you give it a watch.

Time to give the cartoon another try.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Indolent Bastard posted:

I would tend to disagree. While it wasn't bad and even looked good at times (strong cinematography work) it was just so drat boring/goofy by the end. The start with the robbery was great, and everything prior to Alien's arrival was OK, but by the climax where two girls with pistols wipe out an entire house full of well armed gangsters just goes too far.

Admittedly I'm probably not the target audience for the film, but I will say to anyone who is watching for the first time; temper your expectations. It's OK to good, but I'd argue it never even approaches greatness.

Just pretend it's a video game. Like you're in a loving movie.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Indolent Bastard posted:

I feel the same way too. Also the only one of the women they gave any character development to gets dumped completely from the storyline three quarters of the way in, and the violence that ensues effectively endorses the viewpoints of the Christians that appear towards the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

NoneSuch posted:

If you want to watch a ninja movie where the main character brutally murders almost everyone he meets then Ninja II is an okay film. The fight coreography is solid and Scott Adkins spends a good amount of time naked and he's crazy muscular. The thing is it's entirely joyless and I don't know how aware the people making it were because it sure is uncomfortable having a main character who has a free ticket to murder anyone he likes because his wife died. That might be the point though?

It has the beginnings of a redemption arc and it acknowledges the main character has seriously lost his cool and can't control himself but it never does anything about it and he just kills more people.

Universal Soldier spoilers There's even a twist which makes his killing spree even less okay but I couldn't stop thinking about Universal Soldier day of reckoning when it turns out his memories of his family being killed are fake. This is pretty much the straight forward version of that film where his wifes death is real.

Is this actually streaming on anything?

• Locked thread