Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, so... is BKF bad for enamelware? Because I used it on an enameled broiler pan and now it's chalky white and nothing will get it off, not even steel wool.

Googling seems to have conflicting answers, but I'm leaning towards it being bad now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How does one mull coffee? I had some the other day that was like a holiday cold brew, mulled with a bit of cream.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

chad.woodworth posted:

Is this a reasonable thing?

Not really.

I'm going to answer this question anyways. The best thing that you can make out of chicken, eggs, and cheese, is some sort of chicken bolognese lasagne.

Grind the chicken and brown it, then put it in your crock pot with some browned carrots, celery, and onion. Reduce a bottle of wine by 1/2 and throw it in the crock pot. Let that cook on low for 4 hours.

While its cooking, make pasta by adding 9 ounces of flour for each 3 eggs, and kneading it until it's a leathery consistency. Let it sit out for 30 minutes wrapped up in plastic, then roll it out into sheets.

Make a bechamel sauce out of parmesan cheese + milk.

Make a tomato sauce.

Then, starting with a layer of tomato sauce at the bottom, put a layer of tomato sauce, a layer of pasta, a layer of bolognese, a layer of pasta, a layer of béchamel, and repeat it, ending with the 2nd layer of bechamel.

I guarantee you will have just made the best thing possible that includes eggs, chicken, and cheese, can be easily portioned out into 4 portions, and eaten over the course of a week.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

GrAviTy84 posted:

devil them.

Mayo adds calories

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason you have to eat all the eggs?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Socrates16 posted:

Mayo adds calories

don't use mayo then. you are the boss of your own deviled eggs! surprisingly you have control over what goes into the food you cook.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They're inexpensive, healthy, and travel pretty well.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Socrates16 posted:

Mayo adds calories

copen
Feb 2, 2003

:frogout:

\/\/\/\/ Mayo is mostly oil. One egg yoke can emulsify like 2 cups of oil which is a lot of calories.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Mayo adds calories

Mayo is made of eggs, so just vary your egg intake quantity to take that into account.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Is that any good taste wise?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

I was thinking more along the lines of a spice for my eggs.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

What spices do you like?

Garam masala would be good, so would fresh black pepper and salt, so would kimchi or indian hot pickle...

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Paprika and Cayenne i think are the goto's.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Socrates16 posted:

Is that any good taste wise?

No, it's terrible?

Put fresh chives on them or paprika or something, I don't know, you're trying to eat whole hard boiled eggs for some reason?

Slice them up and put them on some salad greens maybe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Socrates16 posted:

Spike is my favorite. It's some sort of mix, but it's tasty. And salty, which is good with eggs.

Or you can chop them up and put them on a sandwich with slices of onion and dill pickle.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

S/he is ricola in disguise. :cough:

Miracle Whip tastes like disappointment. If you've ever accidentally added sugar to something that has no business having sugar, you'll know how much Miracle Whip sucks.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What spices do you like?

Garam masala would be good, so would fresh black pepper and salt, so would kimchi or indian hot pickle...

I have no idea. I'm not a cook, just someone who wants better tasting eggs. I ordered some spike from Amazon, it should be here Thursday. Hopefully that works. Any other spice suggestions are welcome.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Socrates16 posted:

I have no idea. I'm not a cook, just someone who wants better tasting eggs. I ordered some spike from Amazon, it should be here Thursday. Hopefully that works. Any other spice suggestions are welcome.

Since you have to make so many eggs, and you don't know what you like, why don't you try a different spice each day.

Try just salt one day, salt+pepper the next, then salt+cayenne, salt+rosemary, salt+thyme, chives or onion, mix with mushrooms, garlic, dried tomato, and whatever else everyone suggested...

You could also try different cheeses, but I don't know what your budget is.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chop up some fresh herbs and toss them on the egg with a bit of salt laid down first. Melt a cheese and dip if you're feeling caloriffic.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

CaseFace McGee posted:

Whenever cooking chicken for oriental or Mexican dishes, I always velvet the meat with corn starch and a touch of vodka for that super tender texture. Would this work for beef also? I want to make steak fajitas or stir fry this week, and I would like to know if I can use the same technique for velveting or if I need to do something different.

Think I got missed since it was the last post on the page. Any recommendations on making my steak nice and tender? Or recommendations on improving my Mexican cooking in general? Current plan is to make steak burritos with Basmati rice, lettuce, tomato, orange or red bell pepper, jalapeño unless I can find a poblano, salsa, sour cream, and what I am fairly sure is the weak link - a packet of burrito mix. Peppers will be tossed in the pan with the steak once it becomes partially cooked.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you're hellbent on hardboiled eggs try making tea eggs too.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idAUo_fyHW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8QIDHla6iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS2-eyhlRA4

Watch these, go crazy. Become a pretty good cook in the process.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I made way too much barbecue sauce, and there's no way my famly will be able to eat it quickly. Will it freeze ok?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

So I made way too much barbecue sauce, and there's no way my famly will be able to eat it quickly. Will it freeze ok?

Yes, put it in a ziploc bag so that it will fit anywhere/lie flat.

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Appl posted:

Not really.

Thank you for that. I don't think that I have the skills to use your suggestion but I appreciate you answering the question for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

chad.woodworth posted:

Thank you for that. I don't think that I have the skills to use your suggestion but I appreciate you answering the question for me.

When you asked if 4-8 eggs was too much, did you mean it in a "is my heart gonna explode" way or do you mean if it's too much for what else you're putting in it? For what it's worth I eat 2-3 eggs a day for breakfast and I think a lot of people in YLLS do the same (but like I also exercise everyday, so I'm not worried about my heart exploding). If you're talking about if it's too much for what you're gonna cook then well welcome to cooking and experiment! Try it out. Is it too eggy? If so, use less eggs next week! (Actually, start on the lower end of the scale and then add more if you think it could use more.)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

chad.woodworth posted:

If you're set on wanting to eat an all egg-chicken-cheese diet, your best bet is probably going to be some sort of quiche or frittata. You can bake a relatively large one and it be good for a few days.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

chad.woodworth posted:

Why don't you tell us why you want to eat nothing but eggs, cheese, and chicken?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The King of Chickencheese. Both unborn and adult.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have beef cheeks to use. Leaning towards ragu but I'm open to suggestions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have beef cheeks to use. Leaning towards ragu but I'm open to suggestions.
Onion, celery, garlic, rosemary, bay, peppercorns, red wine to cover, let sit overnight, then braise (normal routine, brown, sweat onions, deglaze, reduce, tomato paste, stock, simmer, blah blah blah). Add some hot paprika, peppers, whatever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bacon is a cured meat, right? So, in theory, bacon should be edible without cooking, right? I have no desire to start chugging raw bacon, but I was pondering this the other day.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Bacon is a cured meat, right? So, in theory, bacon should be edible without cooking, right? I have no desire to start chugging raw bacon, but I was pondering this the other day.

I believe the answer to this question is technically yes, but do you really want to eat cold, unrendered pork fat and connective tissue and a little bit of meat? Because that's what it will taste like, for the most part.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nicol Bolas posted:

I believe the answer to this question is technically yes, but do you really want to eat cold, unrendered pork fat and connective tissue and a little bit of meat? Because that's what it will taste like, for the most part.

It's more a question of, should I be washing my hands to avoid getting grease on stuff, or should I be washing my hands to avoid spreading pork-based diseases?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Safety Dance posted:

It's more a question of, should I be washing my hands to avoid getting grease on stuff, or should I be washing my hands to avoid spreading pork-based diseases?

Curing doesn't kill Trichinella worms, and it's not some guarantee against other possible contaminants either.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Socrates16 posted:

Make your hard boiled eggs into a balut instead. It's much tastier.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Technically yes, but also no. Lol. While bacon is a cured meat , it is typically only cured with an eventual cooking in mind. The levels of curing salt, the type of curing salt, the handling of the meat, etc is all done with the goal of producing a cooked product.

Nicol Bolas posted:

You are also describing prosciutto, lomo, sopressata, spanish chorizo, coppa, capacola, etc. All dry cured hams and sausages are served raw. So its not a reason to avoid eating bacon raw...there are others for sure though as I mentioned.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Socrates16 posted:

A light sprinkling of Lawry's Seasoned Salt on hardboiled eggs split lengthwise is always enjoyable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Curing doesn't kill Trichinella worms, and it's not some guarantee against other possible contaminants either.

Yeah, but Trichinella is basically nonexistent in the united states.

GrAviTy84 posted:

You are also describing prosciutto, lomo, sopressata, spanish chorizo, coppa, capacola, etc. All dry cured hams and sausages are served raw. So its not a reason to avoid eating bacon raw...there are others for sure though as I mentioned.

Fair enough, but the fatty ones (chorizo and the like) are ground, which breaks down the connective tissue, and the whole muscle ones (prosciutto, capacola, etc) are not as fatty.

Honestly, I barely get color on my bacon, I just like the fat rendered a bit and soft. I just have this sensory image of cold pork fat in my mouth and it seems totally gross. Please make all animal fats at least lukewarm before putting them in my mouth.