Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

(They're actually amazing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Construction and wood selection does matter on some guitars. I've played a lot of mandolins and ones made out of nicer materials with better done finishes do sound a lot better. With actual guitars it isn't really that complex and comes down to how dense the wood is. If you ever want proof try playing one of those 80's Marlin Basses. Those things are heavy as gently caress and have nutty good sustain. But like I can't tell the difference between, say a cheap SG made with pressboard and a real SG made out of real wood. poo poo sounds pretty much the same.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Zonekeeper posted:

Love it when somebody makes a statement like that and undeniable proof gets posted shortly after. :allears:

Remember kids, your favorite guitarists didn't get famous playing a custom masterwork guitar made out of rare tonewoods by an 80 year-old luthier living in a cave on the side of a remote mountain. They got famous playing whatever cheap piece of poo poo they could get their hands on when they were starting out. If you're good, you will sound good on anything.

my spoiled first world hands were offended by the guitars I found here in China but it was impossible for me to convince anyone of my greatness if I couldn't even play a whole song without loving up(and blaming the guitar like a little bitch). So instead of buying an expensive name brand, I bought the poo poo everyone else here plays and my finger strength and accuracy are on a whole new level now. I bought a Chinese strat and a knock off pignose and now I kind of prefer the raw sound

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Astrobastard posted:

Tempered? I bet string bending is a bitch, if at all possible.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

stratdax posted:

Also, none of it matters. Eddie Van Halen had "somewhere around Eb" tuning plus a much-more flat B-string because it sounded cool, he just played or bent-up to whatever sounded right, and Atomic Punk is still boss.
It's all in the fingers.

iirc he did that because he plays a lot of triads on the d/g/b strings and it makes thirds sound more tune

jack endino had an article in tapeop a long time ago about why guitars have lovely tuning

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Astrobastard posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't imagine what that's like to play, cutting the fret slots must have been a right pain in the dick not the mention bending the wire.

ZombieParts posted:

my spoiled first world hands were offended by the guitars I found here in China but it was impossible for me to convince anyone of my greatness if I couldn't even play a whole song without loving up(and blaming the guitar like a little bitch). So instead of buying an expensive name brand, I bought the poo poo everyone else here plays and my finger strength and accuracy are on a whole new level now. I bought a Chinese strat and a knock off pignose and now I kind of prefer the raw sound

If you can, see if you can take it to a decent guitar tech and get them to give it a full set-up with a fret level and dressing. It'll play a million times better.

Tempus Fugit posted:

Yeah and a lot of people develop allergies to the molds in spalted wood too, a dust mask is a pretty good idea especially if you do a lot of sanding. Ever try to hand plane a burl?

First thing I did when I started building guitars properly was to buy a expensive dust mask, I learned my lesson when I sanded the finish off the neck of a skeevy Russian guitar without a mask and was sick for 3 days (gently caress knows what they used, nitromors didn't even soften it).

gently caress planing burl, massive lumps of it just rip out so you have to plane more off to get them out and a chunk falls out in a different place gklhjgflkjhkjkgfkfglhgfklkf. Bad.

This is an fantastic article, thanks!

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't imagine what that's like to play, cutting the fret slots must have been a right pain in the dick not the mention bending the wire.

enjoy your nightmares

adjustable microtonal scale system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYK_PF9WTRE

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

enjoy your nightmares

adjustable microtonal scale system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYK_PF9WTRE

gently caress you, that doesn't exist. No way. Some 5-foot tall prima-donna lead guitar poo poo with a bandanna is going to see that and try and get me to build it. I'm scared.

Cool idea though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the one time i was ever tempted to buy an ibanez

unfortunately they only made it for middle eastern markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTqZp4KFDE

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

gently caress you, that doesn't exist. No way. Some 5-foot tall prima-donna lead guitar poo poo with a bandanna is going to see that and try and get me to build it. I'm scared.

Cool idea though.

This is probably what they'd ask for. This would also probably be how well they play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNcJ91bRamI

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

the one time i was ever tempted to buy an ibanez

unfortunately they only made it for middle eastern markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTqZp4KFDE

Any decent guitar-builder/lutheir should be able to build you one of those for not too much, gently caress, I'm tempted (must stop wanting to build stuff).

man thats gross posted:

This is probably what they'd ask for. This would also probably be how well they play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNcJ91bRamI

Money well spent.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Any decent guitar-builder/lutheir should be able to build you one of those for not too much, gently caress, I'm tempted (must stop wanting to build stuff).

well yeah i could just take a neck and cut the extra fret slots myself but that guitar was only $600

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

So here's something I don't think has come up yet in the thread.
LED fret markers.

They show up on custom basses a lot.

Nerds love them

LOL

Dickhole and LEDs

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Thumposaurus posted:

LED fret markers.

Now they just need six per fret that light up to show you where to put you fingers, and the world of music will open up for a new generation.

*I'm kinda surprised that there isn't an infomercial for something like that yet.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
tane as gently caress

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hi i'm zakk wylde listen as i combine the raw brutality of emgs and floyd rose with thick black lines

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

hi i'm zakk wylde listen as i combine the raw brutality of emgs and floyd rose with thick black lines

This sort of thing makes the fact that he's like the nicest dude ever / a huge guitar nerd even more awesome

Also I would argue that restringing a Floyd from scratch is the true definition of brutality

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
i was literally just reading the moderne page on wiki and saw he had a model and was like i wonder how ugly that is and boom the thread has it the second i think that, thanks thread

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Handen posted:

tane as gently caress

Ignoring the fact that it's butt ugly, why would you bother using mahogany and maple and nitrocellulose for "awesome tone" and then put a couple of active EMGs in it? You could duct tape those EMGs into an old pizza box and plug it in and it would sound p much the same. Meaning it would sound fierce.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

Ignoring the fact that it's butt ugly, why would you bother using mahogany and maple and nitrocellulose for "awesome tone" and then put a couple of active EMGs in it? You could duct tape those EMGs into an old pizza box and plug it in and it would sound p much the same. Meaning it would sound fierce.
.....Tone....Paint?

I'm actually speechless. Do people really think that about nitro-based paints and finishes??? They are unstable as gently caress and super nasty to use, you can't even transport nitrocellulose varnish in a plane as it poses an honest-to-god explosion risk.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 8, 2014

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Frankenstyle posted:

Now they just need six per fret that light up to show you where to put you fingers, and the world of music will open up for a new generation.

*I'm kinda surprised that there isn't an infomercial for something like that yet.

This is actually a thing, I remember seeing them in Musician's Friend catalogs years and years ago:

http://fretlight.com/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

.....Tone....Paint?

I'm actually speechless. Do people really think that about nitro-based paints and finishes??? They are unstable as gently caress and super nasty to use, you can't even transport nitrocellulose varnish in a plane as it poses an honest-to-god explosion risk.

You didn't know?

oh my sweet summer child

E: I only like nitro because of the way it wears but there's pretty much no reason to use it, like, ever. Some people think it allows the wood to breathe more because people are retarded. You can get poly thinner than nitro and it's more durable.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

.....Tone....Paint?

I'm actually speechless. Do people really think that about nitro-based paints and finishes??? They are unstable as gently caress, you can't even transport nitrocellulose varnish in a plane as it poses an explosion risk.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in ages.

You've never heard the argument that poly finishes "deaden" the tone and nitro is soooooo the way to go? It's one of more dipshit ideas in an industry chock-full of dipshit ideas.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

You didn't know?

oh my sweet summer child

Tempus Fugit posted:

You've never heard the argument that poly finishes "deaden" the tone and nitro is soooooo the way to go? It's one of more dipshit ideas in an industry chock-full of dipshit ideas.

But... But.....

No way. No no no no no no. Is this an American thing or something? I've had loads of commissions and I've heard all sorts of stupid poo poo about tone, but never tone paint.

Tone-paint??? It even sounds stupid to say.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

But... But.....

No way. No no no no no no. Is this an American thing or something? I've had loads of commissions and I've heard all sorts of stupid poo poo about tone, but never tone paint.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

No one calls it tone paint but the idea is that nitrocellulose comes from wood, right

and breathability (the wood is still alive, you see)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tempus Fugit posted:

haha this thread is like the anti-gear page

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

No one calls it tone paint but the idea is that nitrocellulose comes from wood, right

and breathability (the wood is still alive, you see)

If that was true then a oil finish would be better anyway. Jesus people are stupid!

I mostly use oil finishes, ergo I am the tone king. Please buy my £300 rosewood tone-knobs.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

But... But.....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah, these idiots are just audiophiles by another name. They look at you like you're an idiot for suggesting that it's possible to improve on the manufacturing processes of the '50s. Because like everyone knows, nobody has ever made an instrument that's worth a poo poo since then. :downs:

Even better, guitar manufacturers know these people exist and cater to them. See: Gibson promising that they've gotten closer than ever to replicating the tone of classic PAFs on this year's '59 Les Paul reissue. (Spoiler: They reisuue it every year because :byodood:HOLY GRAIL:byodood:.) Can't blame them for going where the money is, at least.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, these idiots are just audiophiles by another name. They look at you like you're an idiot for suggesting that it's possible to improve on the manufacturing processes of the '50s. Because like everyone knows, nobody has ever made an instrument that's worth a poo poo since then. :downs:

Even better, guitar manufacturers know these people exist and cater to them. See: Gibson promising that they've gotten closer than ever to replicating the tone of classic PAFs on this year's '59 Les Paul reissue. (Spoiler: They reisuue it every year because :byodood:HOLY GRAIL:byodood:.) Can't blame them for going where the money is, at least.

Oh yea, Guitar companies will milk that poo poo for all it's worth, but I just never heard about loving tone-paint. The PAF pickup fetish is all kind of hilarious too, I've had one person tell me that new PAF pickups aren't as good because all the new magnets have too much radiation in them so the electrons don't flow as well :shrek:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh yea, Guitar companies will milk that poo poo for all it's worth, but I just never heard about loving tone-paint. The PAF pickup fetish is all kind of hilarious too, I've had one person tell me that new PAF pickups aren't as good because all the new magnets have too much radiation in them so the electrons don't flow as well :shrek:

You know, I go back and fourth about whether the home stereo audiophile industry or the the guitar industry is crazier and more filled to the brim with snake oil.

At this point I'm settling on them being about the same. The only reason audiophiles seem more insane is because they generally put a lot more money into their retarded and misinformed beliefs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreatGreen posted:

At this point I'm settling on them being about the same. The only reason audiophiles seem more insane is because they generally put a lot more money into their retarded and misinformed beliefs.

i see you've never been in the market for a two rock, klon, or dumble

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
on the one hand that 60th anniversary telecaster with the laquer finish did sound noticeably better than the polyurethane ones

on the other hand fender american standards sounded like poo poo before the 2012 pickup upgrade, so the competition was pretty weak

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Iamthegibbons posted:

Here's a guy who knows how to rock a classy guitar.

You'd best not be hating on Bootsy.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

I mostly use oil finishes, ergo I am the tone king.

Just out of curiosity, boiled linseed or tung? And have you fully explored the tone enhancing/robbing properties of each...

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

Never tell this to a guitarist mid tone-wood sperg, they get angry. It's hilarious, expensive, but hilarious. Lost a commission that way once, doh.

People really do not like being told that the reason that they sound like poo poo is because they play like poo poo, and that buying a $2500 guitar will not make them any better.

"It's not that I'm an extremely sloppy player who refuses to slow down and learn things cleanly while gaining speed, it's just that my $600 guitar is holding me back."

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

White Dog Eggs posted:

Magnets, how do they work?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mineaiki posted:

People really do not like being told that the reason that they sound like poo poo is because they play like poo poo, and that buying a $2500 guitar will not make them any better.

"It's not that I'm an extremely sloppy player who refuses to slow down and learn things cleanly while gaining speed, it's just that my $600 guitar is holding me back."

Oh, the best ones are the idiots who idolize SRV. A choice quote from a few months back in the Guitar Megathread in Musician's Lounge:

Castor Poe posted:

Oh man, wait 'till you meet your first SRV wannabe, who's gonna call you a loving pussy for not using 12's and Texas Specials and proceed to show you how great their tone is by playing the absolute worst loving rendition of Texas Flood you'll ever hear. :allears:

Since I was there, I decided to grab these quotes from the discussion because they paint a vivid picture of why you don't want to imitate SRV:

Kilometers Davis posted:

SRV was all ts mid bump + hands. His punchy snappy attack and presence was definitely due to those. It's funny how everyone gets huge strings and neglects to pay attention how he played guitar physically. It was pretty rough and relentless, way more than the average player could even handle without crippling your hands in a few years. His range of dynamics was insane. The strings were big because they had to physically defend themselves from his playing. So if you're looking to sound like SRV go get some alcohol, 13s and jump in the ocean because you're going to fail.

Castor Poe posted:

According to Rene Martinez, Stevie's fretting hand was so messed up that he'd often super glue chunks of his forearm skin to his fingers and eventually switched to a lighter gauge, because gently caress that poo poo.

comes along bort posted:

Martinez also said that he had to refret Stevie's guitars every year because he'd wear them down that quickly, then eventually replace the necks because he was wearing down the fretboards too. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

The Gloaming
Apr 2, 2008

by Ralp
I love the way spergy guitar people get into how materials change the sound of a guitar then hook it up to an iPad. Why? They can't afford the vintage amp after the guitar. I lived in a huge music city and there was a company that bought old Fenders, fixed them, and put some sticker where Fender should be on the head. They were constantly moving stock in a local shop for thousands a guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

Just out of curiosity, boiled linseed or tung? And have you fully explored the tone enhancing/robbing properties of each...

I refer boiled linseed for necks and my own blend of Danish Oil for the body with a bee's wax polish to shine it up. I've never really noticed a improved tone with oil finshes on electrics tbh, there are so many other factors that effect the sound to a greater extent. The one way it can have an adverse effect on tone would be if you got it in the neck pocket, ideally you want it bare for the sound to transfer through the instrument better, anything between the neck and the neck pocket has a deadening effect (this is why set-necks can sound pretty dull).

This thread is really bringing out the sperg in me.

• Locked thread