Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I Might Be Adam posted:

Was the last new Star Fox game on the Gamecube? I remember watching a friend play it but it was a 3D walk around and do stuff game. I wasn't interested in that so I don't remember much. I would play a new one, but honestly, not sure how the flying a ship/on rails shooting stuff would stay interesting in today's gaming. I could see them making a sandbox-ish game with most of the core play being in the ships or something.

Star Fox Assault was the last non-handheld game, and the 3rd person shooting segments were boring as poo poo.

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine why you'd want a rail shooter if you don't care about going for high scores. Even at their very longers they are remarkably short and basic if you're not going for scores and scoring mechanics.

I'm fairly sure Star Fox 64 is my most replayed game and I never gave a poo poo about high score. It was just fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Warriors 3 Orochi Hyper?
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper?
Warriors Hyper Orochi 3?
Warriors Orochi Hyper 3?

Who gives a gently caress, here, have a code.
5ogjxgtsjs0skkhm

e: oh, btw, plugging headphones into the gamepad forces all sound through that, right?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SubNat posted:

Warriors 3 Orochi Hyper?
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper?
Warriors Hyper Orochi 3?
Warriors Orochi Hyper 3?

5ogjxgtsjs0skkhm

Sad I'm not at home right now...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

You can console yourself with the fact that it's not a game code, just one of those nintendo points codes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ahh, well that makes a lot more sense!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This isn't the Steam thread, after all. :v:
Ah, how amazing the eShop would've been with up to 90% off some times.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

flyboi posted:

Man I feel let down by Dr Luigi. I played the L game which was great fun, got to level 31 on my first try with default settings so I figured I was freshened up on Dr Mario mechanics enough to play online. Nobody plays.

That reminds me of every Xbox Live Arcade game with online play ever released. Or any console online multiplayer game that isn't Call of Duty.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

SubNat posted:

Warriors 3 Orochi Hyper?
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper?
Warriors Hyper Orochi 3?
Warriors Orochi Hyper 3?

5ogjxgtsjs0skkhm

e: oh, btw, plugging headphones into the gamepad forces all sound through that, right?

In some games. Other times you may still have to mute your tv.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Does anyone know if any recent update enabled the gamepad over the connected wifi network? Normally my range for the gamepad is abysmal. It doesn't work in other rooms or through the walls in my house. But the other day I took it with me to the bedroom (it normally loses connection right at the door) while playing mario 3d world so I could grab my tablet off the charger. And it never lost connection. I sat on my bed and played a bit just to make sure.

So I tested my entire house, and now I can take the gamepad everywhere that my wifi reaches.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Kilazar posted:

Does anyone know if any recent update enabled the gamepad over the connected wifi network? Normally my range for the gamepad is abysmal. It doesn't work in other rooms or through the walls in my house. But the other day I took it with me to the bedroom (it normally loses connection right at the door) while playing mario 3d world so I could grab my tablet off the charger. And it never lost connection. I sat on my bed and played a bit just to make sure.

So I tested my entire house, and now I can take the gamepad everywhere that my wifi reaches.

It must be a coincidence. The console and the gamepad have a direct connection to each other using a wireless N derivative and don't interact with the existing wireless network the WiiU is connected to.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Was the last new Star Fox game on the Gamecube? I remember watching a friend play it but it was a 3D walk around and do stuff game. I wasn't interested in that so I don't remember much. I would play a new one, but honestly, not sure how the flying a ship/on rails shooting stuff would stay interesting in today's gaming. I could see them making a sandbox-ish game with most of the core play being in the ships or something.

The last new Starfox game was Starfox Command for DS, which was a quasi-remake of the never-released Starfox 2. I liked it a lot more than the Gamecube games, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not the game people wanted.

As for whether a straightforward rail shooter could work in today's market, look no further than Kid Icarus Uprising - it adds a lot of interesting new features without deviating from the standard rail shooter structure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish when the gamepad left range it would hop onto the router instead, but I guess that must instigate lag. It's a shame I can't just take the pad wherever I fancy in the house and muck about on some game.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also I don't know if this is news I missed a while ago or whatever, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 finally dropped in price here in :canada: and you can get it for $19.99 at places like Shoppers Drug Mart. Pretty much if you haven't played it and have a Wii or Wii U, go get it.

Also to anyone who forgot, most of the first year Ubisoft games are $15 right now including Zombi U, Assassin's Creed III and Rabbid's Land.

Shoppers also had Lego City Undercover for $19.99, one which I picked up yesterday and am enjoying the hell out of.

Oh, and anyone can feel free to add me.

User id: WeeBairns

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wee Bairns posted:

Shoppers also had Lego City Undercover for $19.99, one which I picked up yesterday and am enjoying the hell out of.

Oh hot drat, time to pick it up. Just got ZombiU for $15. Kind of annoyed it didn't have a code so I could pick up some points for it but ah well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That loving Sned posted:

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I don't think there's a more perfect thing to hear. ALBW is exactly what I want from Nintendo. Literally 100% perfectly spot on exactly what I want. This is the direction they need to go in to start convincing people the Wii U is truly necessary. Unless it's for the 3DS :dice:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo already took the LBW approach with Metroid, it's called Zero Mission.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo already took the LBW approach with Metroid, it's called Zero Mission.

But they only released it on the DS. Would they ever put DS games on the eshop for Wii U?

I added a bunch of friend requests in here, my ID is WhatTheShep.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

But they only released it on the DS. Would they ever put DS games on the eshop for Wii U?

I added a bunch of friend requests in here, my ID is WhatTheShep.

It was for the Game Boy Advance.

And apparently GBA games are heading to the Wii U. Which makes no sense but whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It's a GBA game, actually, and those will eventually come to the Wii U VC at some point, so yes!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My NNID is still SatansBestBuddy. I found it mildly amusing that Sony insisted on censoring my name, but Nintendo doesn't.

Also apparently I can't add new friends from the MiiVerse site? Am I just dumb or do I really need to fish out a console to add people?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just realized the friend limit is 100 and now Im searching for the best way to choose 100 people from the list. I'm thinking looking at the latest post in someones profile.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rad Valtar posted:

I just realized the friend limit is 100 and now Im searching for the best way to choose 100 people from the list. I'm thinking looking at the latest post in someones profile.

Friend half, follow the other. Post on your activity feed, and all friends and followers can see it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Will any third party USB-ethernet adapter work for connecting my Wii to the internet, or do I need a special one?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Will any third party USB-ethernet adapter work for connecting my Wii to the internet, or do I need a special one?

I"m not sure if ANY will work, but ones designed for game systems should. I have a rocketfish made one as an emergency connection when my wireless is on the fritz. I have had no problems with it. Some third party USB Ethernet devices have wonky chips that require driver downloads even on PC. So it's best to get the ones MADE for game systems, as I think they use the most commonly used NIC's. So the drivers are most likely already in whatever OS they are connecting too.

Thats just a guess as to why it works, I am by no means an expert. I am basing this off of my experience with USB NIC dongles.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Trying to hook up your Wii U with HDMI to the TV and analog audio to something else? (receiver/wireless headphones). After a lot of Googling I read all over the place that it was not possible and "Stupid Nintendo is behind the times lol". I don't know if this is a new feature that has been patched in or not, but here is a video showing it is possible. Hopefully it will save somebody some aggravation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTTWbHidA4

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Next Level Games is now "only doing Nintendo games" while still being independent (I'm happy to see Nintendo didn't decide after Silicon Knights that not all Canadian developers were terrible): http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/next_level_games_doing_only_nintendo_products_now

Monolith Soft is looking for a game planner, "experienced in working with networking and online features"

Fast Racing NEO, which is pretty much looking to be the only chance we'll see an F-Zero game again said about controls, "Tilt controls for steering were confirmed, as it was clarified that control options will include the Wii Wheel, as well as the GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller and Wii Remote / Nunchuk."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like I've probably played a couple Next Level games but can't remember. What kind of stuff have they made?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they did the Mario Strikers games

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

I feel like I've probably played a couple Next Level games but can't remember. What kind of stuff have they made?

Greatest hits are probably Punch-Out for the Wii, Luigi's Mansion 2 for the 3DS, and the two Mario Strikers games.

I love them because they understand the true essence of Waluigi.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

NHL Hitz Pro – GCN, Xbox, PS2
Super Mario Strikers – GCN (known as Mario Smash Football in PAL regions)
Mario Strikers Charged – Wii (known as Mario Strikers Charged Football in PAL regions)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe – Wii, X360, PS2
Ticket to Ride – XBLA
Jungle Speed – WiiWare
Punch-Out!! – Wii
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! – WiiWare
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures – Wii
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon – Wii
Captain America: Super Soldier – X360, PS3 (with Sega)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 3DS[2] (known as Luigi's Mansion 2 outside North America.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

NHL Hitz Pro – GCN, Xbox, PS2
Super Mario Strikers – GCN (known as Mario Smash Football in PAL regions)
Mario Strikers Charged – Wii (known as Mario Strikers Charged Football in PAL regions)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe – Wii, X360, PS2
Ticket to Ride – XBLA
Jungle Speed – WiiWare
Punch-Out!! – Wii
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! – WiiWare
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures – Wii
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon – Wii
Captain America: Super Soldier – X360, PS3 (with Sega)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 3DS[2] (known as Luigi's Mansion 2 outside North America.)

deadwing posted:

Greatest hits are probably Punch-Out for the Wii, Luigi's Mansion 2 for the 3DS, and the two Mario Strikers games.

So wanting to continue making games for Nintendo is probably no surprise.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

So wanting to continue making games for Nintendo is probably no surprise.

Aside from NHL Hitz Pro, most of the games they made for other publishers have been mediocre/disappointing while the Nintendo titles have been successful. Plus Nintendo has been confident with them for over a decade now handling their properties, which is a good spot to be in.

I really want them to make a hockey game like Strikers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Aside from NHL Hitz Pro, most of the games they made for other publishers have been mediocre/disappointing while the Nintendo titles have been successful. Plus Nintendo has been confident with them for over a decade now handling their properties, which is a good spot to be in.

I really want them to make a hockey game like Strikers.

Nintendo are really good as a publisher, because rather than just arbitrarily declaring "we want you to change this/include this, do this even though there's a month until release", all they do is crack the reigns to get the game done. It's why Silicon Knights managed to make Eternal Darkness so good, and I actually suspect it's why Xenoblade is an utter masterpiece of a game from Monolith Soft. Having Nintendo as a publisher is really the best thing that could've happened, considering how over-reaching and "cut for time" their older games were.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Monolith Soft is looking for a game planner, "experienced in working with networking and online features"

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say that they're probably trying to implement some sort of online mode for X, which most of the trailers insinuated. Them trying to fill a seat with somebody that has that focus adds to the rumor.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say that they're probably trying to implement some sort of online mode for X, which most of the trailers insinuated. Them trying to fill a seat with somebody that has that focus adds to the rumor.

If it's a single player RPG the online mode I'd wager would be like Dragon's Dogma.

I mean that sounded weird at first but DD's pawn system was pretty interesting.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo are really good as a publisher, because rather than just arbitrarily declaring "we want you to change this/include this, do this even though there's a month until release", all they do is crack the reigns to get the game done. It's why Silicon Knights managed to make Eternal Darkness so good, and I actually suspect it's why Xenoblade is an utter masterpiece of a game from Monolith Soft. Having Nintendo as a publisher is really the best thing that could've happened, considering how over-reaching and "cut for time" their older games were.

Yeah, they mention in their interview with Gamasutra that they tried to work the "three teams" concept and things were spread far too thin to get something good done.

It's interesting that they say they are exclusively working with Nintendo, and mention Nintendo's secrecy. It's pretty obvious they are working on a new Nintendo title but who knows what it is. There really isn't any precedent you can point to. You got working on a Mario sports title, working on a classic Nintendo title (Punch Out!) and working on a sequel to a Gamecube game for 3DS with Luigi (Dark Moon). They have third person action experience, first person shooter experience, hockey experience and even board game experience.

Could be something similar to what they've worked on before or something completely new that Nintendo trusts them with.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Taint Reaper posted:

If it's a single player RPG the online mode I'd wager would be like Dragon's Dogma.

I mean that sounded weird at first but DD's pawn system was pretty interesting.

I'd guess it'd be more similar to White Knight Chronicles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

deadwing posted:

Luigi's Mansion 2 was pretty good and Punch-Out Wii was fantastic- a Punch-Out eShop game would make a lot of sense IMO.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

There is nothing more beautiful in this world than a happy Shy Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Last night was the first time I used Netflix through the updated Wii U app. The interface is great, but we were getting a lot of buffering despite a strong WiFi connection and no problems with other devices using Netflix. Is this a problem associated with the Wii U or maybe a network issue?

• Locked thread