Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not going to grace that with a click but I assume it's just "10 Reasons Charlie Strong Isn't As Black As You Feared"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

For a bit of good sports journalism, Sara Ganim submitted open records requests to ~40 public universities regarding reading levels for enrolled athletes. Not going to quote and highlight because the whole thing is long and worth reading: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html

There's also a page showing which schools got polled and the current status of their response: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html

Her twitter feed has a number of choice quotes from whistleblowers or other bystanders that didn't make the cut into the original story:

quote:

One of the saddest anecdotes From Mary [Willingham]: An athlete who would make progress with reading, then forget it all. Too many concussions.

quote:

This didn’t make the piece, but Willingham says one recruit was promised he could study at UNC to become a barber. (cont.)

quote:

One college-prep tutor told me some of the athlete scores are lower than scores of international students who have been in the US for a yr

quote:

One school just never responded to our request: University of South Carolina

As always, don't read the comments.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Anals of History posted:

For a bit of good sports journalism, Sara Ganim submitted open records requests to ~40 public universities regarding reading levels for enrolled athletes. Not going to quote and highlight because the whole thing is long and worth reading: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html

There's also a page showing which schools got polled and the current status of their response: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html

Her twitter feed has a number of choice quotes from whistleblowers or other bystanders that didn't make the cut into the original story:

One college-prep tutor told me some of the athlete scores are lower than scores of international students who have been in the US for a yr

Is it really surprising that athlete (or really any random native born student) reading level scores would be lower than an international students? This isn't meant as an insult to American students, rather an international student is more likely to be a top level high school or equivalent student in their home country if they're going overseas to study post secondary. Much like an American going to Oxford is likely to be a very smart student, usually smarter than the Englishmen he'll share a class with in Enland. Combined with most countries outside North America properly teaching second languages from a very early age (and that second language is often English), it's likely that an international student has taken more tests and reading comprehension exams than 10 native Americans.

The concussion quote is really sad tho. Can't imagine loving up your brain before your life has really even began just so you can play football. Assuming it was a football player, which...c'mon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Someone should confirm that you can't study to be a barber at UNC. I mean, maybe you can! Like it's one of those weird things no one knows about.

Although I do suspect the ambition of a guy that has all sorts of options and picks barber.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

Someone should confirm that you can't study to be a barber at UNC. I mean, maybe you can! Like it's one of those weird things no one knows about.

Although I do suspect the ambition of a guy that has all sorts of options and picks barber.

Barber shops are big sources of community and fellowship in some areas, maybe he just wants to be a unifying force in his community

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That barber quote is loving hilarious and I'd love to know which position coach told the kid that.

This is a sad story but I think the general public may be waking up to the fact that 99 percent of schools do not really, truly provide higher education to athletes (something comparable to a traditional college experience). At least half of all college football players should be on remedial tracks and most likely are.

Of course, the general public gets outraged that THEY DON'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY when it's clear that a) the athletes never deserved the opportunity from the start and b) the schools actively discourage them from certain opportunities due to the schedule of a student-athlete.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That barber quote is loving hilarious and I'd love to know which position coach told the kid that.

This is a sad story but I think the general public may be waking up to the fact that 99 percent of schools do not really, truly provide higher education to athletes (something comparable to a traditional college experience). At least half of all college football players should be on remedial tracks and most likely are.

Of course, the general public gets outraged that THEY DON'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY when it's clear that a) the athletes never deserved the opportunity from the start and b) the schools actively discourage them from certain opportunities due to the schedule of a student-athlete.

It's kind of a difficult situation to assign blame. In many cases, the student athlete would never have gotten to college if they weren't an athlete, so at least they're getting a chance at a post-secondary education due to their athletic gifts, instead of just going to work at the gas station after high school (or going pro, but that's a very small percentage of them). On the other hand, it's not much of a chance both because they weren't prepared to take advantage of it due to not receiving a good education in high school, and because the college doesn't exactly put much emphasis on the education part of their college experience. I think the high school system that fails to prepare them academically is just as much to blame as the university system.

It's kind of hosed up, maybe football and basketball just get rid of athletic scholarships altogether and go the baseball or hockey route where there's a minor league system in conjunction with college athletics, so that the young athletes who don't do well academically aren't forced to attend college and pretend they're getting an education before going pro. While I'm at it, I'm also going to wish for world peace, which has a much better chance of happening at this point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dan Le Betard was the guy who sold his Hall of Fame vote to Deadspin.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Lebatard loving rules

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Actually, to be clear, he didn't sell it. He just gave it away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good for him, his statement that he have Deadspin to post about his reasoning is on the money.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good for him, his statement that he have Deadspin to post about his reasoning is on the money.

And it's pretty drat hilarious, part of his reasoning is "gently caress it, chaos reigns"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah he's talked on his show about his favorite athletes being the 'bomb-throwers'

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I wish he would have brought up that there's no plausible reason for him to have a vote and not Vin Scully, Gary Cohen, etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jon Heyman is pulling a "Shame on you" on Le Batard, and, at the same time, calling him "sanctimonious", which I think is illegal.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Jon Heyman is pulling a "Shame on you" on Le Batard, and, at the same time, calling him "sanctimonious", which I think is illegal.

All LeBatard should do in response is sit back, nod, and throw up The U.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

All LeBatard should do in response is sit back, nod, and throw up The U.
Only do it facing backwards so he can throw it up over his head with two middle fingers extended.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

jeffersonlives posted:

I wish he would have brought up that there's no plausible reason for him to have a vote and not Vin Scully, Gary Cohen, etc.

The idea of Michael Kay with a Hall of Fame vote is terrifying though :stonk:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

leokitty posted:

Chicken parm makes it on the first ballot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Correction: Jon Heyman called Le Batard "Santimonious", and not "Sanctimonious".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, Highly Questionable is gonna be great this week.

I take it the HoF is likely to take away Dan's vote over this?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Anals of History posted:

I didn't read the comments but considering every time I see the way college athletes are treated being brought up, the first response is "they're getting a free full ride, they should be so honored to go to college for free" I usually point out that NCAA-full ride students can't work a part time job legally (need more money to buy anything but the necessities? Suck it up, or work illegally under the table!), and that athletes generally aren't able to pursue a worthwhile degree because their schedules don't allow them to work intense classes. OR that there are classes designed specifically for student-athletes where the professor will more or less pass them with a C without the students having to do any work or tests.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kalli posted:

I take it the HoF is likely to take away Dan's vote over this?

It would be up to the BBWAA to expel him under the current rules.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Right right, noticed the baseball HoF thread, so I think I'll spend this afternoon following that.

I recall a story a few years back about a player that wanted to pursue a pre-med track and was told he could not on his scholarship due to not being able to devote enough time to practice.

That kind of hardened my opinion on the subject.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Seriously, this is like the only show worth its salt on ESPN and it's a blast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like his radio show better, but I'm a Miami native originally.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

leokitty posted:

You're going to yell at me.

I've been listening to his show on the drive home virtually every day (during the school year) for almost 6 years (pop radio is poo poo, I have a tape player, Pandora gets old, WINS lasts me 20 minutes). I remember calling several times to show him why he was stupid and having LaGreca, Beadle, etc gang up with me. In the last couple years, I have to be honest, he has gotten considerably less stupid. He's still Michael Kay, but I have noticed a distinct reduction in the amount of stupid opinions he has.

Unfortunately it seems LaGreca is mellowing with age as well, and half of the fun was him going batshit insane over people who wear Yankee jerseys with names on the back.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

On this same topic:

Those of you that follow the NHL might remember Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News. Harrington is a huge dick and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way last year when he deliberately misquoted a member of the Buffalo Sabres to goaltender Ryan Miller, which caused a little bit of locker room drama.

Anyways, Harrington had this to say about Le Batard:

That's right: a professional journalist calling someone a retard over twitter.

Anyways, he deleted the tweet and had this to say about it:

some hack posted:

Apologies for the last tweet as a couple point out. Frankly, never heard that context until a link was sent. Point was about the name.

His defense was literally "I didn't know what 'tard' meant." Hilarious

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Surprised Kornheiser and Wilbon blasted LeBatard on PTI. Their argument was that LeBatard has a national reach, he should use it to advocate on behalf of the steroid-era guys. That would be a valid argument if any of the BBWWA guys had shame or the ability to learn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Surprised Kornheiser and Wilbon blasted LeBatard on PTI. Their argument was that LeBatard has a national reach, he should use it to advocate on behalf of the steroid-era guys. That would be a valid argument if any of the BBWWA guys had shame or the ability to learn.
What prevents him from doing that anyway?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Anals of History posted:

And then they went on LeBatard's radio show:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10264545

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

I more or less agree with Kornheiser and Wilbon here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anals of History posted:

What does a national reach have to do with anything? The public consensus is those guys should be in, it's the loving dinosaurs and sanctimonious sports writers that don't want them in that are booing LeBatard right now.

There are people sending in empty ballots and sports writers want to bitch about a ballot that was actually reasonable just because someone else collaborated on it.

Jay Mariotti used to have a HOF vote for gently caress's sake, until he announced that he voted for nobody (SURPRISE!!!).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 9, 2014

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

What prevents him from doing that anyway?

I think he could do that, but it seems like articles and speeches he makes now are for the writers to come after the current ones die. I could understand not wanting to invest that kind of time and energy.

Real interested in hearing the radio show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should let athletes major in being athletes.

poo poo, is that really any different than being a dance major or something

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vertical Lime posted:

The funny thing is, around the 11 minute mark, is Kornheiser and Wilbon discussing how the actual situation was different than how it was explained to them.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Sash! posted:

poo poo, that's actually not a terrible idea. They could take courses that directly relate to being an athlete; physical training, kinesiology, some basic bio mechanics stuff, maybe sports stats. For the vast majority of college athletes who don't go pro, these are employable skills to have, and there's a much better chance their coaches will encourage them to pay attention in class because it would directly help their performance on the field.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sash! posted:

Sport Performance majors with a concentration of football.

E: coaching track would be Sports Education

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DJExile posted:

Dan Lebatard loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The B_36 posted:

poo poo, that's actually not a terrible idea. They could take courses that directly relate to being an athlete; physical training, kinesiology, some basic bio mechanics stuff, maybe sports stats. For the vast majority of college athletes who don't go pro, these are employable skills to have, and there's a much better chance their coaches will encourage them to pay attention in class because it would directly help their performance on the field.

A bit of history would be nice too. Knowing where their sport came from, its social impact, its pivotal figures. Baseball isn't quite the same as football and basketball in terms of collegiate athletics, but I remember on one of the Jackie Robinson anniversaries, numerous players revealed they didn't know who he was. I'd wager a lot more didn't/don't know who Curt Flood was and why they should kiss a photograph of him every time they get their paychecks.