Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Hey guys, now that Faustus is gone I feel safe in sharing his dirty little secret. I've uncovered something interesting -

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Lick my brass bridge, baby.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tempus Fugit posted:

Hey guys, now that Faustus is gone I feel safe in sharing his dirty little secret. I've uncovered something interesting -

you got rid of the dog you monster

flip the image so the dog can look depressed next to his fat hairy master

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zonekeeper posted:

Castor Poe posted:
Stevie's fretting hand was so messed up that he'd often super glue chunks of his foreskin to his fingers

That's disgusting

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

comes along bort posted:

i see you've never been in the market for a two rock, klon, or dumble

Haha. You know, I was actually fortunate enough to get to play a Dumble Overdrive Special + Dumble vertical 2x12 cab last summer. And to be honest, and I'd probably be murdered for saying this in front of the wrong person, I really wasn't impressed at all. Yes, it was able to pick up every tiny little detail and nuance I put to the fretboard, so you definitely could call it a very expressive amp, but the way it did that was by emphasizing the mids to such a ridiculous, unbalanced degree that I couldn't dial the amp to sound like I wasn't playing through a megaphone. The overdrive channel was just the most raw (not in a good way to my ears at least) overdriven sound I've ever heard. Maybe it would sound better in a mix, so you'd heard it behind a good mic and preamp compressing the poo poo out of everything on top of hefty post eq, but the "Dumble in the room" experience was totally lackluster for me.

The clean channel was better and definitely what I'd call usable, but it was nothing I haven't heard blackface Fender amps and even several Plexi clones do significantly better.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 8, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zonekeeper posted:

Oh, the best ones are the idiots who idolize SRV.

I love SRV but no way in loving poo poo am I going to ever try and play like him, the sheer fact that he used 13s is ridiculous.

White Dog Eggs posted:

This thread is really bringing out the sperg in me.

You're not the only one! :v: I love it though and would commission you if I had the scratch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you got rid of the dog you monster

flip the image so the dog can look depressed next to his fat hairy master

Between the fat man's legs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

I love SRV but no way in loving poo poo am I going to ever try and play like him, the sheer fact that he used 13s is ridiculous.

Not to mention that everybody can spot an SRV wannabe from a mile away and nobody respects them. The best complement they'll ever hope to get is "hey man you sound just like another guitar player who's already done it and done it better than you ever will."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Plus who wants to play or listen to lovely bar blues?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Exactly, take inspiration from SRV don't loving try and be the guy. It's like the whole SRV and Hendrix comparison everyone always makes; Hendrix was the template that SRV built off of but SRV sounds like SRV and not a bastardized Hendrix.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreatGreen posted:

Haha. You know, I was actually fortunate enough to get to play a Dumble Overdrive Special + Dumble vertical 2x12 cab last summer. And to be honest, and I'd probably be murdered for saying this in front of the wrong person, I really wasn't impressed at all. Yes, it was able to pick up every tiny little detail and nuance I put to the fretboard, so you definitely could call it a very expressive amp, but the way it did that was by emphasizing the mids to such a ridiculous, unbalanced degree that I couldn't dial the amp to sound like I wasn't playing through a megaphone. The overdrive channel was just the most raw (not in a good way to my ears at least) overdriven sound I've ever heard. Maybe it would sound better in a mix, so you'd heard it behind a good mic and preamp compressing the poo poo out of everything on top of hefty post eq, but the "Dumble in the room" experience was totally lackluster for me.

The clean channel was better and definitely what I'd call usable, but it was nothing I haven't heard blackface Fender amps and even several Plexi clones do significantly better.

haha totally, i had the same reaction playing one once as well. it sounded like a fizzier mesa mk1. sounded okay for dumb white guy blues which was probably what it was designed for, but bleh

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
a lot of guitar players seem really heavily focused on the numbers game, how many bpms, how mathematically complex, assorted other skill wanking, etc

i just wanna learn to make sounds come from my guitar as intuitively as i can sing, not masturbate over scales and theory

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dewgy posted:

a lot of guitar players seem really heavily focused on the numbers game, how many bpms, how mathematically complex, assorted other skill wanking, etc

i just wanna learn to make sounds come from my guitar as intuitively as i can sing, not masturbate over scales and theory

"I play guitar because I like to make loud noises. And the guitar is the coolest way to make a loud noise." - Kim Thayil

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

haha totally, i had the same reaction playing one once as well. it sounded like a fizzier mesa mk1. sounded okay for dumb white guy blues which was probably what it was designed for, but bleh

This is especially hilarious because

A Mesa/Boogie Mark I costs about this much vs a Dumble which costs around this much.

lol

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 8, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

gently caress Dumble, add me to the list of people who were unenthused. Hell, I got to play one in the studio and REALLY got to crank it (which is where they supposedly shine) and it just got fizzier and fizzier. The sound engineer kept nodding and going 'yeah, there's that Dumble sound, yeah' and I never did 'get it'. I think the biggest part of the Dumble thing is the mystique behind them and the sheer crazy assholeishness of the dude himself.

I don't have it handy but dig up the order form and customer agreement from the 80s/90s to order a Dumble, dude's got to have the biggest ego in the music industry.

One of my favorite things is people who go on and on about the 'mystique' or whatever about something when they're completely wrong.

It's not uncommon for a guy to come up to me during a break or after a gig and start to go on and on about 'that tube sound and tube crunch and TONEZ and how the Marshalls use tubes just right crunchy toney blahblah'.

Yes, I do indeed generally use a Marshall if I'm not using a modeler.
Yes, I do indeed generally keep it pretty crunchy and heavy.
No, you're not hearing 'tube crunch'. The Jubilee uses diode clipping.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just model everything through a computer, and at a gig you're going to be mic'd through a PA anyway. No one's going to be listening for that "blessed amp sound" so no one will give a poo poo anyway. lol

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

gently caress Dumble, add me to the list of people who were unenthused. Hell, I got to play one in the studio and REALLY got to crank it (which is where they supposedly shine) and it just got fizzier and fizzier. The sound engineer kept nodding and going 'yeah, there's that Dumble sound, yeah' and I never did 'get it'. I think the biggest part of the Dumble thing is the mystique behind them and the sheer crazy assholeishness of the dude himself.

if you make it an exclusive enough club with the right amount of well-known people you can get away with peddling whatever

basically a veblen good

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Howard Alexander Dumble, ladies and gentlemen...

Only the finest of amps from the gooniest of amp builders.

vvv holy poo poo yes. It is an entire video of concentrated what the gently caress. And hey, there's even an ugly guitar or two in it!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 8, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i will never get tired of the henry kaiser dumble vid

purely because alex dumble's stupid attitude about who he'll sell to yet he's totally buds with kaiser, and how utterly mad it makes the kind of dipshit willing to spend 50k+ on an amp

pretty sure that video is responsible for at least several bluesdads having strokes

oh god it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nU5Ghq5Wo

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

comes along bort posted:

purely because alex dumble's stupid attitude about who he'll sell to yet he's totally buds with kaiser, and how utterly mad it makes the kind of dipshit willing to spend 50k+ on an amp

pretty sure that video is responsible for at least several bluesdads having strokes

oh god it's so good

ahahahah this is literally jazz club irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Construction and wood selection does matter on some guitars. I've played a lot of mandolins and ones made out of nicer materials with better done finishes do sound a lot better. With actual guitars it isn't really that complex and comes down to how dense the wood is. If you ever want proof try playing one of those 80's Marlin Basses. Those things are heavy as gently caress and have nutty good sustain. But like I can't tell the difference between, say a cheap SG made with pressboard and a real SG made out of real wood. poo poo sounds pretty much the same.

So you're saying wood does matter on guitars, and the examples you give are a mandolin and a bass. Then you say it doesn't actually matter on your everyday average guitar.
Well I'm convinced!

On another note, I thought it would be a given that you've all seen the 20th anniversary of the Steve Vai Jem, but I'm not so sure. As somebody in another forum said, "it looks like a Motel 6 room under a blacklight".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
that thing looks like an andres serrano photo made with vomit instead of his usual blood/cum/piss

Rhopunzel posted:

ahahahah this is literally jazz club irl

and here's mr. dumble himself explaining why you should wait up to two years (if he approves of you) for an amp that costs as much as a well-equipped honda accord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyQ786w2wU&t=243s

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Even Mr. Dumble, excuse me, "Dr. D" heyyyyyy :cool: is a full-of-poo poo audiophile who fails to understand the basic physics of his own products.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stratdax posted:

So you're saying wood does matter on guitars, and the examples you give are a mandolin and a bass. Then you say it doesn't actually matter on your everyday average guitar.
Well I'm convinced!

On another note, I thought it would be a given that you've all seen the 20th anniversary of the Steve Vai Jem, but I'm not so sure. As somebody in another forum said, "it looks like a Motel 6 room under a blacklight".

is that... clear?

like i think it may have crossed the line into so stupid it's kind of cool if it is

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dewgy posted:

is that... clear?

like i think it may have crossed the line into so stupid it's kind of cool if it is

This is the only acceptable clear guitar:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dewgy posted:

is that... clear?

It is indeed. It's acrylic.

Also, it has built in, internal green LEDS that can light up and highlight all those lines in the body.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the ibanez jem signature sinus infection model

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stratdax posted:

Also, it has built in, internal green LEDS that can light up and highlight all those lines in the body.

yeah this owns, sorry, it's like some kind of electro future blade runner guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

oh god it's so good

When he started with his 'stutter' jamming I starting laughing my rear end off, this is amazing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ahaha the people selling it want $30,000

and this can be yours for the low, low price of only $7 grand

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

and this can be yours for the low, low price of only $7 grand

Is that a hawk or an earwig on the headstock?

Fryedegg
Jan 13, 2004
Everquest killed my libido (and my cat). 8(

my ears will never forgive

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is that a hawk or an earwig on the headstock?

:hf:
As I was scrolling past I thought, "Who'd want a loving earwig on their headstock?." I hate those fuckers. For those not in the know -

:nms:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

comes along bort posted:

oh god it's so good

hey guys check out this neat vocal trick i learned *screeches like a dying gazelle for three minutes*

you can totally use that in metal music

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

stratdax posted:

Snot and Semen. It's like an alternate version of Metallica's Load album cover.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I should probably post some content!

At least it'd double up as a club if someone attacked you, I guess?

Not sure if this counts as ugly, but it sure is stupid, This is a guitar Ed Roman built a guitar for Ted Nudgent

Huh, doesn't look too bad, could almost be classy if it wasn't for the inlays...

Awesome wood on the back too.... But what's that?

A gun hidden in the back in-case anyone tries to 'Dimebag' him. Huh.

Asshat.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Wonder how long it'll be before a belt buckle or stray Indian headdress feather gets caught on that trigger.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

killhamster posted:

This is the only acceptable clear guitar:

So loving true.

It looks like something out of Warhammer 40K

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

decades ago I had the opportunity to jam with an old blind black dude named Saint Thomas, and every time he played, he'd pull his gibson 135 out of its case, close the case and then pull his .38 out of his boot and set it up on top in plain view. dude could play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saturated fart
Dec 26, 2012
Why so much hate for Henry Kaiser? I mean, why is he more famous than Fred Frith, Derek Bailey, Keith Rowe and others and why does he bring so much attention from guitarists?

loving hell, I don't get this harp thing some guitarists have going on.

• Locked thread